Author Topic: Travel Preferences  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
Travel Preferences
« on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:17:46 »
Just wanted to get a general idea of what people prefer when it comes to travel.

Edit: I am talking about the travel of the key itself. That is, the distance the key moves from being unpressed to fully pressed down.

In my case, I come from a long history of laptop typing, so I'm usually comfortable with a shorter throw. When my Poker came in a few days ago, it kind of surprised me with its travel and made me feel like I was working too hard to type. I already have some 40A-R o-rings [just waiting on some keycaps to come in before installation] so that should help me a lot.

So I just want to know what kind of travel do you prefer on your keyboard and why. I've seen a lot of people try to avoid travel reduction, but I feel like those from a younger generation might have more experience on laptop keyboards [or in some cases desktop keyboards with a chiclet design] so maybe I'm not alone?

Also, quick question: Can different types of keycaps affect travel at all?
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 March 2013, 19:36:04 by Lastpilot »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Travel Preferences
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:29:30 »
The short travel on laptop keyboards and the new scissor switch boards at work/school throws me every time. The bottom out is so uncomfortable to me.

I think the cap profile can change the travel, but only slightly. My stock Leopold caps seem to have a shorter travel distance since they're flat.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:30:07 »
I used to like scissor switches, but then I took an arrow in the knee my fingers started to hurt.

Also, quick question: Can different types of keycaps affect travel at all?

Yes, this is the case of Cherry keycaps.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:37:46 »
I used to like scissor switches, but then I took an arrow in the knee my fingers started to hurt.

Did you use scissor switches first? I think it's easier for lighter typers to type heavier than the other way around.

Is there a chart somewhere with the specs on keycap travel differences? Or is it pretty much negligible like what CPT said?

[lol is there even such a thing as 'negligible' on GH?]

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:38:03 »
Total travel?
As it acts as "shock absorber" and more travel also means you are less likely to bottom out... Long travel!
I'm not sure tho if the 4/2mm of Cherry-MX switches is my ideal, something like 4/1mm or 6/2mm could be interesting as well.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:57:25 »
I can get used to a shorter travel , and like most people that is what I am used to using when on a laptop. But it never really feels right to me. I much prefer to have more travel. The worst keyboards for me are the ones with the flat keys that do not stick out. I have a wireless keyboard like that connected to my media player, and it feels awful. But it is more than just feel, I really think they are harder to type on, though that might just be because I am not as used to them as I am to keyboards that have considerable more travel.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:11:02 »

Did you use scissor switches first? I think it's easier for lighter typers to type heavier than the other way around.

Mushboards until 2007, then decent scissor switches until 2011/2012, and mostly linear Cherry MX switches since then.

Is there a chart somewhere with the specs on keycap travel differences? Or is it pretty much negligible like what CPT said?

You may find something at Cherry/SP website. IIRC Cherry profile is about 2 mm shorter than "OEM profile" on the same row. Difference when typing is noticeable, at least for me.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 19:30:16 »
My wife is a magazine editor who types thousands of words a day.

She is a diehard Apple fanatic and loves the flat keys with almost no travel, whether on the Apple desktop or Macbook.

I am the opposite, I hate my laptop keyboard and want big tall tapered keys with lots of air space around them.

And don't get me started on phones or screens, my big clumsy fingers are hopeless.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 19:33:24 »
I just suck it up and use my laptop keyboard. I like to travel light, and it makes returning home all the sweeter.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 19:34:59 »
I just suck it up and use my laptop keyboard. I like to travel light, and it makes returning home all the sweeter.
Sorry let me clarify, I meant to ask about the travel of the actual keys themselves. That is, the distance from unpressed to fully pressed keys.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 19:45:43 »
Ah, I'm an idiot. I saw 'pilot' and read the title w/o reading inside.  :-[

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 19:50:49 »
No worries, lol, it happens to everybody sometime or another. :P

I think it's interesting a lot of people prefer a long travel. For me its kind of like trying to run in a thin layer of quicksand; its harder to find solid footing and get that 'rebound' from bottoming out. In the end I can see why a long travel is best for ergonomics - a lot less shock.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 20:11:46 »
I'll say that there is something nice about the very short travel of a nice scissor switch board like an Apple Aluminum or MacBook keyboard.  After using those solid for a few years, it took me quite a bit of time to get used to the longer travel of Cherry switches.  But now, I appreciate the longer travel... it feels more natural and satisfying.  That said,  I easily jump back to the MacBook keyboard without thinking and it doesn't bother me either.  If I have my choice though, I have a nice tactile Cherry in front of me.

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 23:36:09 »
I like long travel with high actuation. I also like a nice big tactile bump, and a spring that increases resistance quickly after actuation. Cherry's 4/2 is generally sufficient for me, but I'd like to have the option of going deeper.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 23:48:43 »
In my case, I come from a long history of laptop typing, so I'm usually comfortable with a shorter throw. When my Poker came in a few days ago, it kind of surprised me with its travel and made me feel like I was working too hard to type. I already have some 40A-R o-rings [just waiting on some keycaps to come in before installation] so that should help me a lot.

My son has a CM with browns. He installed the landing pads from Elite Keyboards. I've used browns for years and they are my favorite Cherry switch. But I didn't like key actuation (the feel) with the landing pads. They're not very thick, but the thickness was enough to change the feel too much. I thought maybe it was because I was just used to stock brown switches. But he ended up taking them off. He didn't like the feel either.