Author Topic: Converting DoubleShot Keys To IBM Buckling Spring  (Read 3279 times)

Offline zirrow

Converting DoubleShot Keys To IBM Buckling Spring
« on: Wed, 09 February 2011, 15:45:00 »
sheesh Ripster, even when you have a bad-ass plan, you still end up taking it to the Nth degree.  I didn't even dream that when I started collecting keyboards I'd have to go collect a donor board to chop up just for a jig.  Unless of course there's somewhere that not only sells replacement keys, but busted sections of the barrel plate as well :P

you definitely da man in the keyboard world.  keep 'em coming.

Offline slueth

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 05:05:40 »
Lol.. Jeez super badass.
One thing I noticed.  Doesn't the geekhack key look a little more elevated then the other keys.
Nvm.. Lets just ignore that. :S

Offline zirrow

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 February 2011, 09:35:39 »
the geekhack key IS a little more elevated - Ripster just didn't screencap the UAC prompt that's required due to the extra awesome-ness the key provides.

EDIT:  on a more serious note, it's not that the key is more elevated, it's just that the sp keys have a shorter "skirt" so more of the key stem is exposed.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 February 2011, 16:14:13 by zirrow »

Offline zirrow

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 February 2011, 16:10:32 »
Could you possibly post a pic from the underside of a modded key.  I'm curious how much tolerance there is with the epoxy coming though.  (I still haven't done this part yet, I don't think I have enough epoxy with me at the moment, so it will likely be tomorrow before I get to bond everything up tight)

thanks in advance

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 February 2011, 19:14:24 »
Damn Ripster, you make everything look so easy.  It's too bad a guy like me with only one good arm can't do that so easily.  I know I saw panic buttons a while back for the model M, but I haven't seen any of those for some time.  For those of us who can't phycally do these kind of key modifications, being able to buy them is prett cool.  However, I also know there is no real demand because the model M is so "out of date"

Do you know of a place that might still have them in stock?
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline eugenius

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 23:19:19 »
This mod, compared to an original model M key cap, is like a penis extender compared to an erection.
Cherry ErgoPlus MX5000 + MX5700 / IBM Model M

Offline DarthBaiter

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 March 2011, 17:48:12 »
Very nice...
A border for the keys on the jigs would make em even more perfect with out having to eyeball it everytime.   Just a thought.

Cheers
"GERONIMO E.K.I.A."

"Fluke...I\'m yo faddah....come join me on the Dockside...."

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 March 2011, 03:31:45 »
Quote from: ripster;318769
I wouldn't know.  Unlike you I don't need a penis extender.

Because they didn't like your mod, you have to insult them?
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline eugenius

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 16:05:32 »
ripster, I suggest a vaginal rejuvenation then.  It'll make it smell like red cherries, unlike the brown clicky stuff it smells of now. :)
Cherry ErgoPlus MX5000 + MX5700 / IBM Model M

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 17:02:11 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;319941
Because they didn't like your mod, you have to insult them?

I doubt eugenius thinks that's an insult as much as a good rib he opened himself up to. I know I'm laughing as well he is, I'm sure. :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~