Author Topic: Post your tricked out CM QFRs  (Read 101367 times)

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
Re: Post your tricked out CM QFRs
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 19:12:09 »
Show Image

Am I doing it right?

I'm not seeing anything wrong.  :rolleyes:
  • CM QFR (Clears) | CM QFR (Blues) | KBT Poker II (62g Browns) | CM Alcor

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #201 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 19:50:05 »
Show Image

Am I doing it right?

the only thing I see wrong in that pic is the radio shack desolder iron tip getting worn out too damn fast!!!! u desolder 1 board and need new tip...... already ordered 5 tips which are dirt cheap 2 bucks including shipping, but also ordered this bad boy which is rebranded Weller DS40 http://www.ebay.com/itm/251198860402?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2366wt_1399, I lucked out since was the last one and there were 29 sold including mein, lots of tips and I know those last way longer than Shack iron tips. somehow landed on on pack of 3 Weller DST tips for it for $8 shipped, just in case if radio shack iron starts having more problems than just wearing off tips fast.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #202 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 23:31:57 »
I did pick up a replacement tip for mine, but on the same day, I got a used (great condition) Soldapult DS017 from eBay and hope to not have to use the Radioshack iron ever again!  Just need to buy some grease for the o-ring in it sometime tomorrow.  If you spend money on many replacement tips, perhaps it's time to invest in a Soldapult :) 
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #203 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 03:22:29 »
I didn't know QFRs have such a light PCB!  I saw a green one on WFD's video.

The bottom side is green, the top (which you never see unless it's completely desoldered) is tan like that pic up there.

the only thing I see wrong in that pic is the radio shack desolder iron tip getting worn out too damn fast!!!! u desolder 1 board and need new tip......

A tip last me about 2-3 boards. Maybe you guys put too much pressure and it prematurely cracks. Ideally, you want zero pressure. The tip just needs to make contact with the solder, more pressure doesn't mean it will melt any fast. In fact, it could damage traces once the solder melts.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 July 2013, 03:25:22 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #204 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 19:19:47 »
Finally. Tomorrow I'll put the keycaps and take some decent photos. Well, i hope so. :))

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #205 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 19:23:32 »
It looks silver on these photos!  If I didn't know that it's actually pearl white, I'd never have guessed :D  I like it a lot.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #206 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 19:35:03 »
Finally. Tomorrow I'll put the keycaps and take some decent photos. Well, i hope so. :))

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

What kind of keycaps will you be using?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #207 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 19:52:24 »
It looks silver on these photos!  If I didn't know that it's actually pearl white, I'd never have guessed :D  I like it a lot.

This light doesn't help me. But thanks.  ;)

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

QFR caps. I can't mod it because of the layout. Only with some blank caps.  :(
More

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #208 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 20:32:35 »
looking good smeagol, u need to join GMK original cherry caps GB, that way you can have all the keycaps you need :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #209 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 20:58:23 »

This light doesn't help me. But thanks.  ;)

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

QFR caps. I can't mod it because of the layout. Only with some blank caps.  :(
More
Show Image

Such a shame to put QFR caps on such a nicely modded board.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #210 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 22:50:44 »
Even if I put that modifiers pack, some caps are different. Like that "| \" on the bottom and all those near Enter. :(

But this is my gaming board. I'm waiting another QFR (ANSI) and a Filco. For those keyboards I have good sets incoming (cyrillic and international). :)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #211 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 23:53:44 »
frosty flakes are available from bpiphany now.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39146.0

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #212 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 03:06:35 »

Whats the function of having a controller?

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #213 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 03:09:19 »

Whats the function of having a controller?

Remap any key.... custom function layers and more.
Like a phantom or gh60.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 July 2013, 03:34:42 by domoaligato »

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #214 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 06:52:36 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks awesome nice work :D
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #215 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 13:15:00 »
Unfortunately I had time to take only a good photo with sunlight. After that the weather was cloudy.

Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/Ic33m

I would create a thread just for this but I think it would be too much "attention ****".  :rolleyes: This is what I changed:

- WASD media shortcuts, RGB, win8 caps, Esc, spacebar and the arrows
- MX Clears, lubed and stickered. MX Black spring on spacebar and MX Red spring on backspace (yes, it's a noob thing :)))
- Custom stainless steel plate instead the serial sticker
- White leds

Well, I think it was good for my first mod. My next victim will probably be Poker II. :D

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #216 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 13:36:38 »
I love it!

By the way, we have spaces in our profiles now where you can create a gallery of sorts and write descriptions, if you want to link later.  Make sure you have Ultimate Profile enabled.  I've just listed my keyboards and details for now, but I'll work on adding photos soon.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #217 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 14:18:54 »
Smeagol, that looks awesome. By "Custom stainless steel plate instead the serial sticker", I'm assuming you mean the label on the bottom, and not the actual plate for switches? Btw, is that a stock plate, just painted pearl-white, or is that a custom plate?

Offline gnubag

« Reply #218 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 14:33:20 »
Smeagol, that looks awesome. By "Custom stainless steel plate instead the serial sticker", I'm assuming you mean the label on the bottom, and not the actual plate for switches? Btw, is that a stock plate, just painted pearl-white, or is that a custom plate?

it is a painted stock plate. there are some pictures somewhere in another thread.

Work in progress...

Show Image

Show Image

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #219 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 16:01:47 »
I love it!

By the way, we have spaces in our profiles now where you can create a gallery of sorts and write descriptions, if you want to link later.  Make sure you have Ultimate Profile enabled.  I've just listed my keyboards and details for now, but I'll work on adding photos soon.

Thanks. Sure, I will.  :)

Yes, I mean that label with serial. This plate is the stock plate. It's a ABNT layout (ISO with one more 1X1 and right shift 1x1.75). But let me know when you have a leftover. I'm waiting a ANSI QFR and Filco.  ;)

it is a painted stock plate. there are some pictures somewhere in another thread.

Work in progress...

Show Image

Show Image

Yep.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 09:50:38 »
I finally made some time this afternoon to mod my QFR:
  • R1 WFD custom plate (from Photekq)
  • vintage browns and a clear for the space bar (from GON)
  • some blues with black springs to the caps lock, scroll lock, and F9 (for the Win key lock)

To Do:
  • paint the top case
  • get a set of caps in SP DCS profile

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 10:30:10 »
Unfortunately I had time to take only a good photo with sunlight. After that the weather was cloudy.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/Ic33m

I would create a thread just for this but I think it would be too much "attention ****".  :rolleyes: This is what I changed:

- WASD media shortcuts, RGB, win8 caps, Esc, spacebar and the arrows
- MX Clears, lubed and stickered. MX Black spring on spacebar and MX Red spring on backspace (yes, it's a noob thing :)))
- Custom stainless steel plate instead the serial sticker
- White leds

Well, I think it was good for my first mod. My next victim will probably be Poker II. :D

That looks great!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #222 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 14:08:17 »
Posted this in "what did you add to your keyboard today" thread but totally forgot this thread :P Gonna repost :)

I added vintage black switches, 62g Korean group buy springs, Krytox mix lube, Victorinox lube for springs, Super lube for stabilizers, a Grey top case over the Black one I had before, and universal TKL stainless steel plate to my QFR reds! Took all day but faster than my Ergo Clear mod on my Filco :P

I heard from a CM representative that a batch of QFR's had bad soldering jobs on the left Alt's... Looks like I fell victim... The solder was barely connected to the PCB and was just hanging there to an almost unattached eyelit. I would've never known had I never opened the keyboard... When I desoldered it, the entire eyelit just fell off and I actually lost and ONLY FOUND IT AFTER I HAD FINISHED PUTTING THE KEYBOARD TOGETHER LIKE 8 HOURS LATER. THE IRONY. At first I thought, "well ****... looks like I won't have a working left Alt..." but then I had to Macguyver moment and used solder to create artificial wires to connect to the PCB by exposing the connection because of a lack of an eyelit... Thank God it worked. Felt boss for a few seconds ;)

FEELS LIKE BUTTER.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #223 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 14:10:33 »
I'd miss the red plate but that's pretty sick.
I love Elzy

Offline gnubag

« Reply #224 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 14:11:58 »

well, it is possible to paint the plate or get some vinyl wrap.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 14:27:39 »

Yeah, son. Thankies ~ It's what I contemplated the most :\ I was thinking either I could just mod these into Vintage Blacks and stick with it with the red plate or go custom plate so I can change on the fly. Caved in and just did the custom. I may consider painting it in the future though :)

well, it is possible to paint the plate or get some vinyl wrap.

Yeah, it's a possibility in the future :)

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #226 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:01:42 »

I actually like the shiny finish of the stainless with the current color combo. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #227 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:07:57 »

Hehe. Thanks! It does, and it's the reason I put on the Grey top case instead of the stock Black one the Reds had on. Went for a White, Grey, Silver, and Black look :) I have a thing for color coordination :))

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #228 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 15:55:13 »
Decided to revive the QFR thread :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #229 on: Tue, 06 August 2013, 18:37:24 »
I like the subtle colour difference between the alphas, the modifiers and the case :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Pro542

• tis but a scratch
« Reply #230 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 03:53:16 »
Show Image

That looks really nice. Where did you get those key caps ?
"CM QFR Cherry MX Black (branded)" title="CM QFR Cherry MX Black (branded)" CM QFR Cherry MX Black (branded)

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #231 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 09:44:27 »
Show Image

That looks really nice. Where did you get those key caps ?

Got the PBT DSA from Signature Plastics marketplace. Then I painted the mods using VHT vinyl dye charcoal gray

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #232 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 09:47:04 »
Show Image

is your esc key on sideways or is just a weird angle?
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #233 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 09:49:39 »
Show Image

is your esc key on sideways or is just a weird angle?

I think its because I'm not pointing at the board directly in the middle, so the escape key, which is of different profile, looks like it goes one way lol

Offline oaklandishh

« Reply #234 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 22:57:04 »
I realize this this is also a unicorn vomit, and I posted this elsewhere, but here is a better picture.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 August 2013, 23:13:33 by oaklandishh »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #235 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 11:05:36 »
I tricked out my QFR with Alps switches. Does that count?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #236 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 11:08:02 »
^^ Close the thread no one can match that.

Maybe CM will see this and decide to do the same...:eek:

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #237 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 14:08:45 »

Show Image

do the stem mod for the Dell capslock and then post the pic!!! :)

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #238 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 14:15:18 »

Me too.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Smeagol_RP

• your ad here
    • Steam
« Reply #239 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 14:17:45 »

Show Image

Nice cammo.  :)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #240 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 15:13:32 »

Show Image

That's next on my list. I'm hoping CDTBadAss will hook me up with some Alps caps I can slaughter.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #241 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 15:16:36 »

Show Image

That's next on my list. I'm hoping CDTBadAss will hook me up with some Alps caps I can slaughter.

CadetBadAss?
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #242 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 15:20:43 »
Yep. He's been demoted.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #243 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 15:21:44 »

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #244 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 15:23:26 »
Yep. He's been demoted.

He's so new

Someone start a petition for him to change his name, kinda like the one for Kawa.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline phx

« Reply #245 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 15:28:34 »
 ;D

they look different now (painted the cases white)

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #246 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 15:49:45 »
look awesome, you need another QFR with bumble bee set from keypop

Offline phx

« Reply #247 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 15:56:44 »

nah don't really like that color scheme.

I want a Coffee set but their friken ` and \ keys are wrong color.
also waiting for the new Lily GB, and need Valentines set

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #248 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 16:04:25 »

I don't know if I would say they're the "wrong color" :p, some of us just prefer symmetry.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline phx

« Reply #249 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 16:14:11 »

I don't know if I would say they're the "wrong color" :p, some of us just prefer symmetry.

yeah I much prefer the original way