Author Topic: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?  (Read 2777055 times)

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
Re: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?
« Reply #5800 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 09:12:41 »
Have you tried a buckling spring?
At work I have been using a Realforce 87U 55g for a few weeks now. Got it to see if the Topre hype was for real. It's not (for me). Just too mushy feeling--i need that crisp tactile feedback. I considered trying BKE domes, but it's not worth throwing even more money at this to try "fixing" something I don't really enjoy in its original form. But it was a good learning experience, and worth the $30-$50 I'll probably lose when I resell it. I can now say that I've tried just about every type of mechanical keyboard switch I've ever been tempted by.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #5801 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 10:19:41 »
Have you tried a buckling spring?
At work I have been using a Realforce 87U 55g for a few weeks now. Got it to see if the Topre hype was for real. It's not (for me). Just too mushy feeling--i need that crisp tactile feedback. I considered trying BKE domes, but it's not worth throwing even more money at this to try "fixing" something I don't really enjoy in its original form. But it was a good learning experience, and worth the $30-$50 I'll probably lose when I resell it. I can now say that I've tried just about every type of mechanical keyboard switch I've ever been tempted by.
Capacitive buckling spring (IBM model F) is my number one favorite switch.

Offline Chemoletter

« Reply #5802 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 12:04:54 »
I wanted to try out buckling springs and thought it was a good idea to buy a brand new super classic from unicomp. i got it today and i have to say i am heavily disappointed.

expectation: smooth action
what i got: stuck, grinding keys even after re-seating them to check for trapped springs. tried typing for two hours. no effect. maybe it'll losen up.

expectation: a safe non slippery case
what i got: rubber pads on one side only - the spacebar side.

who in their right mind puts rubber pads on only one side? until i buy them i'll have a superb scratching device for my desk. even the foldable feet don't have rubber on them. damn this is a travesty.

i guess i'm the one to blame here for not paying attention looking at the product shots. sorry for the bad vibes but i feel ripped off and had to tell.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #5803 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 09:17:22 »

Offline arhetue

« Reply #5804 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 08:43:07 »
Norbauer custom anodized brushed blue v1 housing; holding a silenced, lubed, 55g domeswapped novatouch; using Dangerzone with a Junktown Esc

https://imgur.com/a/XdiQp

Offline letsfixitinpost

« Reply #5805 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 16:38:00 »
At the office using a wasd v2 with red silents.  I didn't buy it, they actually had them here and nobody wanted to use them.  I guess people are used to the apple chiclet keyboard.  Really liking it though.  I'm by no means an expert, but  I find it very easy to get that light tactile hit without bottoming out.  However Imay be bottoming out, but the dampening system or something may make it seem like I'm not.  Anyway sometimes I feel like I'm playing a piano now instead of just slamming keys.

At home I've been using my new fc660c.  Still getting use to the topre life.  I think I still enjoy the feel of the mechanical, but I did a long writing session at home last night and now I'm here at work kind of missing typing on the leopold.  Just a lot of fun.  I think the biggest challenge is getting used to such a high click.  I literally came from a corsair that was old and beat up to these in the last month, so it's been what I'd call an awakening, albeit slightly expensive one.  I think time will tell with the Topre, but I find myself getting more and more used to it as each day goes by.  I want to make sure I'm not justifying it bc of the price!  I will see how it feels in a month, but so far so good.  I also may be getting used to a  60ish perfect KB as well.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 February 2018, 16:39:54 by letsfixitinpost »

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #5806 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 20:01:43 »
Currently using the lz-s with vintage blacks that I relentlessly bothered tsangan for lol, I've used it everyday for 5yrs thanks buddy!

So many killer new boards out nowadays, I kind of want a fancy hhkb layout to travel with.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline Altis

« Reply #5807 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 23:38:40 »
I wanted to try out buckling springs and thought it was a good idea to buy a brand new super classic from unicomp. i got it today and i have to say i am heavily disappointed.

expectation: smooth action
what i got: stuck, grinding keys even after re-seating them to check for trapped springs. tried typing for two hours. no effect. maybe it'll losen up.

expectation: a safe non slippery case
what i got: rubber pads on one side only - the spacebar side.

who in their right mind puts rubber pads on only one side? until i buy them i'll have a superb scratching device for my desk. even the foldable feet don't have rubber on them. damn this is a travesty.

i guess i'm the one to blame here for not paying attention looking at the product shots. sorry for the bad vibes but i feel ripped off and had to tell.

While many of us are glad to see someone let buckling springs live on, it's almost worse to have them live on this way.

If you want buckling spring, might as well try to get a vintage IBM board unless you can't do without the Windows/Context keys.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Deefenestrate

« Reply #5808 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 08:59:21 »
Back to the Topre life!

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #5809 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 09:58:26 »

While many of us are glad to see someone let buckling springs live on, it's almost worse to have them live on this way.

If you want buckling spring, might as well try to get a vintage IBM board unless you can't do without the Windows/Context keys.

Are you sure about that?

Offline Altis

« Reply #5810 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 13:48:07 »

Are you sure about that?
Show Image

Is that a vintage IBM board?
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #5811 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 13:51:21 »
Noppoo 108EC Pro dome swapped to 65g (dome sheet from eBay--watch out for the LEDs if you do this mod) rocking Yuri with Cyrllics and a Hidden Lab two-tone blue spacebar. Currently liking this keyboard better than my Novatouch but have some BKE heavy domes to try out in that when I get a chance.

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #5812 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 16:54:26 »
Right now I'm using my Hyper7 build I finished today. Long slog to get here.

Reddit details - https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/7wubx0/i_hear_space_cadet_is_popular/

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #5813 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 18:59:39 »
Right now I'm using my Hyper7 build I finished today. Long slog to get here.

Show Image

Reddit details - https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/7wubx0/i_hear_space_cadet_is_popular/

My mind is boggled...!

Offline tron

« Reply #5814 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 14:56:03 »
Loving my IBM 5251 beam spring :cool: It beats all other switches and boards that I've tried so far.

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #5815 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 22:05:04 »
Was using a aek 2 with orange alps or salmon im a newb so idk which ones it has but it has orangy colored alps

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #5816 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 04:45:06 »
Loving my IBM 5251 beam spring :cool: It beats all other switches and boards that I've tried so far.

That's one helluva board, man.  :cool:
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #5817 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 17:43:43 »
Just completed this afternoon, Banana Split 60 Round 2.  Kailh BOX Pale Blue switches.  KBDfans 5° case.  Signature Plastics G20 profile keycaps.

http://zobeid.zapto.org/image/keeb/Zo65-01.jpg

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5818 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 22:58:40 »
One of these lately...

188929-0

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #5819 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 23:22:33 »
One of these lately...

(Attachment Link)

Been trying one of the new ones with the double shot PBT caps on and off for the past few weeks.
Very solid board, and the caps are nice, but I can't stand that win10 cap.  Probably gonna be putting on different caps soon.

Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline zslane

« Reply #5820 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 12:10:40 »

You win. That bad boy beats everyone's switches and boards here.  :thumb:

My current work setup looks like this:

188954-0

And while I just love my silenced Norbatouch boards (I hafta add a numpad or I go crazy), they just don't crush it quite like a good old beamspringer.  :cool:

Offline tron

« Reply #5821 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 15:47:49 »

(Attachment Link)

And while I just love my silenced Norbatouch boards (I hafta add a numpad or I go crazy), they just don't crush it quite like a good old beamspringer.  :cool:

Sarcasm noted  :)). I wasn't trying to say my board is better than everyone's switches and keyboards, just the ones that I've personally tried so far (which is actually quite a bit).

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #5822 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 21:06:36 »
LFK78 with Box Kailh Jades and Beige+Blue DSA PBT Laser Etched keycaps from KPRepublic
188965-0
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline ollir

« Reply #5823 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 00:18:19 »

Teensy finally arrived so I could build a Soarer's converter for this.
Never tried vintage MX blacks before, and I don't know what to think of them. Based on first impressions, I like linear
space invaders more, but I'll have to see where this goes.

Fun board, but it's surprisingly hard to adjust to the layout :D
Never make any mistaeks.

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #5824 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 10:26:01 »
A 1991 model m after using a board with mx silent reds this is so loud :P

Offline zslane

« Reply #5825 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 11:51:01 »

(Attachment Link)

Sarcasm noted  :)).

I wasn't being sarcastic! I think that beamspringer is awesome and beats the pants off 99% of what gets posted here.

Offline bitzie

« Reply #5826 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 15:32:47 »

Just finished my first build, a BananaSplit V2 last night: https://imgur.com/a/eMBLi

It's going to take some time to get used to the heavier springs and pretty much complete lack of sound, but loving it so far.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #5827 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 15:36:53 »

- Triviumtek Lustro
- Enjoy PBT blue Cyrillic
- Ramage Bioluminescence
- Bro Cosmic Azure moba (now I'm 100% better at Path of Exile)
- Bro Sapphire BBv2
- /u/90N1NE cable
- lubed Gateron Blacks

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #5828 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 15:40:50 »
Show Image

Just finished my first build, a BananaSplit V2 last night: https://imgur.com/a/eMBLi

It's going to take some time to get used to the heavier springs and pretty much complete lack of sound, but loving it so far.

Did you dye those keys?

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #5829 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 15:58:48 »
Show Image

This awesome & such a creative way to roll with the punches! Most people would've scrapped the caps after they didn't turn out exactly like they thought they would. The distressed look work very well here IMO & honestly I've never seen it done with a MKB. Great job :thumb:

Offline bitzie

« Reply #5830 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 16:13:27 »
Did you dye those keys?

Yes, hand-dyed with iDye Poly. I used Orange and Silver Grey. The two tones of grey were done by doing the alphas for a total of 6 minutes and the others for about 20 minutes. If you're thinking of dying keys, definitely do some tests to get the timing down right. Oh.. One thing I should add to the log is that the dying process is messy. Even if you think you're clean, particles of dye actually float with the steam... I have hazy dots of color on the stove and on the top of the range hood.

This awesome & such a creative way to roll with the punches! Most people would've scrapped the caps after they didn't turn out exactly like they thought they would. The distressed look work very well here IMO & honestly I've never seen it done with a MKB. Great job :thumb:

Thanks! I'll probably have to go in the same direction for my next build as well.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #5831 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 16:15:09 »
189059-0

This FC660C I just got this past thurs. The Topre experience is pretty nice but to me definitely not the panacea some make it out to be, although I can see why someone would swear by them too. All in all I'm pretty happy with the board in it's stock form, but the 45g domes are to light for me & the stabilized keys except the space bar rattle like crazy. I got a batch of BKE redux extreme domes & the silencing rings from Keyclack which I will be putting in it soon, just waiting on the lube. I'm hoping after that the board will better suit my tastes. Still though it is a very nice typing experience for sure, the switches themselves do feel a but sturdier & consistent than even high end MX switches IMO. I guess I'm just nit picking it a bit since I'm used to my custom MX builds, especially with the stabilized keys which I'm hoping lubing & silencing will fix.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 February 2018, 16:18:05 by Rob27shred »

Offline onlyabyte

• tekbyte
« Reply #5832 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 03:15:00 »
Rapoo V500 with Kailh Yellows - a nice TKL board which I've been using for more than a year now.
Akko 3087 SA Retro (45g Pink Linears) || Tecware Phantom Cherry BoW (45g Red Linears)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5833 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 15:36:05 »

Are you sure about that?
Show Image

Is that a vintage IBM board?

Nope, that's a Unicomp 103-key with one of their logo-less lock light stickers.

I'd also attest to the fact that the 2-3 Unicomp keyboards I've tried were just as nice to type on as the IBM originals. The build quality leaves a lot to be desired, but the typing feel is still great.

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #5834 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 21:27:47 »
A drevo joyuse wot kalih low profile black switches

Offline mikehotel

« Reply #5835 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 07:00:14 »
Is there a difference between the white and black Leopold Topre boards? Are the keycaps and/or any materials different? Or is it all identical?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5836 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 17:52:42 »

Still needs:
* GHB keys from Dolch set cut to fit the trackpoint
* coloured blank keys for the mouse buttons

But pretty great so far!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5837 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 18:25:44 »
The one on my phone.  :blank:

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #5838 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 21:37:43 »
I'm using a drevo joyuse with kalih low profile blacks

Offline Liocer

« Reply #5839 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 07:57:37 »
40% like a boss

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #5840 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 08:01:34 »

Jane

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #5841 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 08:13:00 »
Show Image

Jane

ooh, nice

... me Tarzan!

Offline Altis

« Reply #5842 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 17:23:35 »
Keytronic Q03601QLPS2 in beige, NIB.

This is what I believe to be the same as keyboard that we got with our first family computer in 1992. It certainly looks the same as I recall it to, so I picked it up for nostalgic purposes really (pretty rare to find one in brand new condition, in this colour, and with PS/2).

It is a rubber dome keyboard, but it's actually quite a good one. I'm a big fan of Topre and this doesn't give the same sensation or sound as that, but as far as membrane keyboards go, it's pretty good. Sounds alright, feels decent, and actually has a pretty nice overall build. The keycaps in particular seem solid with crisp legends. The keystrokes actually feel rather heavy, probably around 50g or a bit more. Certainly heavier than HHKB or 87U 45g Topres or 45g Cherry MX. The weighting is surprisingly close to the Model M with buckling springs. I'll see how this changes as the keyboard breaks in.

Only strange thing I've noticed so far is that CTRL+Backspace gives an unknown character rather than deleting the previous word. Otherwise everything is as expected.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #5843 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 19:40:13 »
finally finished this one up for my "working from home" keyboard:

78g Zilents
-Dana

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #5844 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 23:59:20 »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #5845 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 07:57:06 »
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #5846 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 09:29:47 »
Show Image

What is it? I am looking for a good case and plate for a filco tkl pcb :)
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5847 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 09:30:19 »
This!

Show Image

Show Image

https://imgur.com/a/PMHg3

What the heck is that keyboard?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #5848 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 09:31:05 »
Show Image

What is it? I am looking for a good case and plate for a filco tkl pcb :)

Varmilo VB87M with aluminum case. If you want a metal case for the Filco, get a TEX case.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #5849 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:16:40 »
This!

Show Image

Show Image

https://imgur.com/a/PMHg3

What the heck is that keyboard?

It's the baby I've been gestating for the last few months - a custom keyboard project I dived right into the deep end to do. I've been using the prototypes since the PCBs were made back in Oct/Nov, this is the finished article and my daily driver. More here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94075.0