Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 611214 times)

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #1800 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 03:35:09 »
Still running elementary OS Loki and don't wanna switch.  :thumb:
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1801 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 13:23:39 »
Anybody here use any of that CLEAR LINUX?

Benchmarks look amazing. Don't like that it is owned by Intel though.. But imagine what could be done to linux if we drop backwards compatibility and optimize for fast modern hardware. Like arch with i686 only, already a step in the right direction.
Anytime someone claims they have a faster or more efficient Linux, take it with a GIGANTIC grain of salt.
It's using the same underlying OS and since it's open source, they all can use those same tweaks to make their system just as fast, if it was true.

Linux doesn't really have any backwards compatibility dragging it down like Windows, at least not in the same way. Linux is in a constant state of flux and upgrade, which renews itself. It's not perfect, because on occasion it does cause a system failure, but it's usually not too difficult to fix. It just doesn't carry the baggage like Windows does.

That's really insightful, thanks!

I must say, however, back in the day (early 2000s), choosing a different scheduler on a kernel build and building some drivers into kernel (e.g., network) really made a significant difference.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1802 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 14:24:16 »
It still does.

Leslieann doesn't appear to follow LWN, not to say LKML.

There's a lot of weird **** in the Linux kernel. Tons of undocumented stuff, tons of dubious error paths, tons of subsystem-specific obscurities,… it's a miracle that it works so well… or at all.

"We don't break user space."

Well, yeah.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1803 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 17:12:42 »
It still does.

There's a lot of weird **** in the Linux kernel. Tons of undocumented stuff, tons of dubious error paths, tons of subsystem-specific obscurities,… it's a miracle that it works so well… or at all.

"We don't break user space."

Well, yeah.

That is what I remember about it. In the 2000's I still did menuconfig for kernels myself, believing I knew what I were doing. And that is not even reading / modifying / extending the kernel code. Even in menuconfig, there are SO many choices to make. I never thoroughly understood all of them. Heck, I couldn't even do it now.

Offline iri

« Reply #1804 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 17:46:03 »
I'm so glad I don't have to use menuconfig anymore.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1805 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 17:39:30 »
I'm so glad I don't have to use menuconfig anymore.

It was super awful. Worst experience ever. 10/10 do not recommend.

I did feel like a "hacker" though, convincing my friends that custom compiling the kernel is the best way (I was 13 at that time). It felt "hardcore". Like when I and my friends switched to Gentoo coz "manual compiling is always faster", tuning gcc with custom flags.

And then wait 10 hours before you basically compiled a bootstrap and perhaps firefox.

Ahh the nostalgia..

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #1806 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 18:47:36 »
Linux doesn't really have any backwards compatibility dragging it down like Windows, at least not in the same way. Linux is in a constant state of flux and upgrade, which renews itself. It's not perfect, because on occasion it does cause a system failure, but it's usually not too difficult to fix. It just doesn't carry the baggage like Windows does.

From where I sit, Linux is almost nothing but legacy baggage going all the way back to 1970s mainframes -- and many of its underlying design decisions were based on that computing environment, so long ago and so different from most of what we use today, and there's no way to fix any of it without breaking everything.

I mean, how long have we been saddled with X?

Who today would design an OS where every additional storage device appears to be a sub-directory somewhere on the system drive?

Even "ls" to get a directory listing. . .  Because it was invented by guys using teletype machines as terminals, and they never learned to touch-type and were deathly fearful of having to press an extra key or two.

And then there's all the dependency chaos. . .

But the good news is that Ubuntu MATE does a pretty good job of hiding its Unix roots from me most of the time, and so does Mac OS X, so I can live with them -- better than Windows, which makes no credible attempt to hide Windows from me.    :p

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1807 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 19:23:03 »

From where I sit, Linux is almost nothing but legacy baggage going all the way back to 1970s mainframes -- and many of its underlying design decisions were based on that computing environment, so long ago and so different from most of what we use today, and there's no way to fix any of it without breaking everything.

Who today would design an OS where every additional storage device appears to be a sub-directory somewhere on the system drive?

Even "ls" to get a directory listing. . .  Because it was invented by guys using teletype machines as terminals, and they never learned to touch-type and were deathly fearful of having to press an extra key or two.

And then there's all the dependency chaos. . .

But the good news is that Ubuntu MATE does a pretty good job of hiding its Unix roots from me most of the time, and so does Mac OS X, so I can live with them -- better than Windows, which makes no credible attempt to hide Windows from me.    :p

From my perspective, large production quality animation/effects studios utilize the linux kernel for good reason. And not because the multipurpose kernels are build with legacy support in mind. Nearly instant startup on my ancient LGA775 that spins rust is not a bad thing too.

edit - *And not because of the multipurpose kernels that are built with legacy support.* halp
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 October 2017, 21:11:16 by csmertx »

Offline mnmlisme

« Reply #1808 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 20:46:04 »
i have been always interested in linux due to it being freeware. for basic office work and internet, it's enough. tried both linux mint and currently ubuntu mate. but I think i'm more into linux mint. too bad my NUC 5CPYH is struggling with current mint release. Celeron N3050. what to expect huh?
XD60 (gat.black) | SABER68 (gat.blue) | VORTEX Core (cherry blue) | YD40 (gatistotle)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1809 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 03:58:57 »
Should  I.
I didn't say it doesn't, I said just not the same way. Anything with that much code will have garbage in it.

The Linux Kernel is now 26, imagine if MS had carried forward the same kernel for that long, can you imagine not only the size, but the garbage it would have in it? Would it even function at all by now?

That's because you are looking at it from a desktop perspective while using a server OS.

Who today would design an internet capable OS without a method of updating built in...

Engineers, especially software engineers, do not think the same way you do.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 October 2017, 04:03:38 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline iri

« Reply #1810 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 04:43:17 »
There's plenty of linux distros with built-in update capabilities though.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1811 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 10:14:33 »

Which I hate is this auto-update functionality by Ubuntu. I even had security updates that broke stuff.

Luckily, I could turn it off. I wasn't even aware of this functionality.

I deployed to production on a VPS with Ubuntu Server and then all of a sudden something stopped working and I was like: I changed literally nothing.
And then I ran top and saw this service running.. but why..

Offline iri

« Reply #1812 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 17:31:16 »
Yeah, but she said nothing about AUTOupdates.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1813 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 18:07:02 »
What's it like to update applications that were installed with snap or flatpack?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1814 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 18:33:04 »
It was actually an Android joke, meant as an example of how software engineers don't always think like a normal person, or even logically all the time.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1815 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 20:56:22 »
i have been always interested in linux due to it being freeware. for basic office work and internet, it's enough. tried both linux mint and currently ubuntu mate. but I think i'm more into linux mint. too bad my NUC 5CPYH is struggling with current mint release. Celeron N3050. what to expect huh?

Depends on your definition of free - GPL comes with a set of obligations.

The BSDs are far more free, as in less obligations.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1816 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 11:23:18 »
Yeah, but she said nothing about AUTOupdates.

True, it was just something that came up when I thought about it.

I don't know of any distro that DOES NOT have an upgrade mechanism in place (or a package manager built in, for that matter).

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1817 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 15:34:03 »

bsd ensures more freedom for people
gpl ensures more freedom for the code
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1818 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 16:37:16 »

bsd ensures more freedom for developers
gpl ensures more freedom for users
FTFY

Offline mnmlisme

« Reply #1819 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 19:11:11 »

good enough. always struggling with linux though, many said it's easier than windows, yet sometimes not long before installing it, I have to google how to solve problem X and it usually involves terminal and copying long string of commands told by other people that I have just to put faith on (ie. no idea what am I writing or what does the command does)

bsd ensures more freedom for people
gpl ensures more freedom for the code
XD60 (gat.black) | SABER68 (gat.blue) | VORTEX Core (cherry blue) | YD40 (gatistotle)

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #1820 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 21:21:17 »
I've used a few variations of Ubuntu in the past just for exploration of Linux, but I still run OSX on all my machines. The only distro I currently run is live-booting TAILS off a USB sometimes.

Offline Altis

« Reply #1821 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 17:26:02 »
I recently installed Mint 18.3 Cinnamon to try it out (as a dual-boot on a separate SSD). It was quite good and I didn't have any major problems.

Mint 18.3 Xfce just got released so I installed that. It worked but I had complications with my graphics card (GTX 970) -- it got sorted out in the end with a GRUB modification.

I do have a question though if anyone knows:  I'm looking to RDP to a school Windows 2012 Server. It uses the RDP protocol but I can't get any remote desktop application to connect.

The closest I've come is using rdesktop and freerdp, but I get an error about the lack of CredSSP (required by server) or SSL library problem. I tried messing around with Kerberos (krb5) but it didn't make a difference.

If anyone knows what can be done, I'd appreciate it! I'm trying to use Mint Xfce as my main desktop and I actually quite like it. I did manage to get it to boot Mint as a virtual machine from my Windows partition using VMWare -- that was really great and I might just need to do that when I want to work with both for cases like RDP.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 December 2017, 17:31:32 by Altis »
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #1822 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 17:30:16 »
IT SEEMS LIKE QUITE A FEW PEOPLE ARE ADOPTING LINUX MINT THESE DAYS. HOW DO YOU ALL LIKE IT?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline JP

« Reply #1823 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 17:37:11 »
IT SEEMS LIKE QUITE A FEW PEOPLE ARE ADOPTING LINUX MINT THESE DAYS. HOW DO YOU ALL LIKE IT?

BURN THE HERETIC! WINDOWS 98 IS THE CLEARLY THE SUPERIOR OPERATING SYSTEM.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1824 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 17:49:33 »

BURN THE HERETIC! WINDOWS 98 IS THE CLEARLY THE SUPERIOR OPERATING SYSTEM.

IT IS THE BEST OPERATING SYSTEM, BUT ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN CRAPPLE® MAC-OS. LINUX USERS ARE INFINITELY SMARTER THAN MACINTRASH USERS.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Altis

« Reply #1825 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 21:10:57 »

I went for Mint since it seems to be well supported as it's among the most popular desktop distros. However, in my experience, Linux Lite has been the only one to not give me any troubles.

I like the Xfce desktop environment as it's like classic Windows in terms of layout and operation, and even the look, if you so choose.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1826 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 07:01:47 »

I like it a lot. I dabbled with Ubuntu for several years, but I got frustrated with the direction they headed off in.

And my complaint was not Unity, which I didn't particularly like it but it wasn't awful.

Mint/Cinnamon has been my choice for about 3 years now, and I have really grown to like it.
I feel that it is certainly the easiest transition from Windows.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #1827 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 13:55:47 »
I tried installing Linux Mint Cinnamon on my netbook some time ago. It was really slow and I did not find the user interface agreeable.

Seriously, even if a netbook is old and not very powerful, it should not be bogged down by a simple user interface.

Offline Altis

« Reply #1828 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 15:25:54 »
I tried installing Linux Mint Cinnamon on my netbook some time ago. It was really slow and I did not find the user interface agreeable.

Seriously, even if a netbook is old and not very powerful, it should not be bogged down by a simple user interface.

Cinnamon is slow, even on good hardware. It's kind of like how macOS has gotten these days.

Xfce is the way to go  :cool:

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #1829 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 15:33:20 »

Cinnamon is slow, even on good hardware. It's kind of like how macOS has gotten these days.

barebones xfce DE with i3 wm is the way to go.  :cool:
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1830 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 17:48:35 »

These days I prefer no DE but I can see the appeal behind xfce/i3wm. I've also read that openbox/i3wm is pretty great as well.

One year of Manjaro i3, and I'm about to remove the training wheels. No more installing vanilla arch to usb or vm while Manjaro i3 guards the bare metal. The Arch Wiki compels me  :))

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1831 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 22:34:17 »

These days I prefer no DE but I can see the appeal behind xfce/i3wm. I've also read that openbox/i3wm is pretty great as well.

One year of Manjaro i3, and I'm about to remove the training wheels. No more installing vanilla arch to usb or vm while Manjaro i3 guards the bare metal. The Arch Wiki compels me  :))

I actually did everything backwards. I STARTED with Arch, learned as much as I could carry, and switched over to Debian a little while ago. I love Arch, but I don't want to put that much time into configuring everything anymore.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Altis

« Reply #1832 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 22:54:29 »

I haven't used i3wm much but I'm not sure I have a need for it with window snapping already part of the OS. I guess it can speed up certain workflows.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1833 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 00:40:05 »

I haven't used i3wm much but I'm not sure I have a need for it with window snapping already part of the OS. I guess it can speed up certain workflows.

Personally, I can't stand wasted screen space and GUIs. So I love i3 because I never have to position windows, use an entirely macro/keybound based workflow, and rarely have to touch a mouse. It's also just so damn clean and simple. It gives me everything I need and nothing more in a highly customizable platform. I get that it's not for everyone, but I think that folks should give it a try and stick with it for a week. There's a bit of a learning curve, but boy is it worth it.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1834 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 16:08:17 »

I actually did everything backwards. I STARTED with Arch, learned as much as I could carry, and switched over to Debian a little while ago. I love Arch, but I don't want to put that much time into configuring everything anymore.

Starting with Arch would have been much better than finding a distro and stripping defaults out until I had something I was comfortable with. I'm close to the set and forget stage; hopefully everything translates well when I reinstall/configure everything.. lol

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1835 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 16:51:48 »
How does Arch Linux perform on low-end computers?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1836 on: Tue, 19 December 2017, 18:17:03 »

Show Image

I used an Arch (Manjaro) kernel when I rendered out keyset images for SA Rebel and SA Utopia without hiccups. From my very basic glmark2 (LGA775/rad 5450 | usb live iso's) testing, Arch/i3wm (and Manjaro/i3wm) matched Fedora rather well in terms of graphical performance. I prefer less overhead at the moment so I tend to avoid Fedora and Gnome 3

Offline iri

« Reply #1837 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 05:32:49 »
I use Fluxbox when working on slow machines.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1838 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 05:39:11 »

Show Image

Arch tends to be one of the faster base systems, however the desktop will make the largest difference in performance, but that too depends on the system itself.

On older systems, the older, lighter desktop environments tend to rule, however, a newer system can use newer optimizations to help level the playing field a bit. The same is true in regards to battery life on laptops.

Basically, if you have an older system, use an older desktop, if you have a newer system, you can pretty much use what you like with almost no hit to performance.

More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1839 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 14:17:29 »

Show Image

It doesn't if I assume correctly what ancient low-end stuff you mean.

Arch was one of the first distros to cut off support for pre-i686 architecture, and even i686 itself has recently become de facto deprecated.

A decade-old Core 2 Duo will still run alright, but I don't think that's what you mean based on your post history.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1840 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 16:44:59 »
I recently installed Mint 18.3 Cinnamon to try it out (as a dual-boot on a separate SSD). It was quite good and I didn't have any major problems.

Mint 18.3 Xfce just got released so I installed that. It worked but I had complications with my graphics card (GTX 970) -- it got sorted out in the end with a GRUB modification.

I do have a question though if anyone knows:  I'm looking to RDP to a school Windows 2012 Server. It uses the RDP protocol but I can't get any remote desktop application to connect.

The closest I've come is using rdesktop and freerdp, but I get an error about the lack of CredSSP (required by server) or SSL library problem. I tried messing around with Kerberos (krb5) but it didn't make a difference.

If anyone knows what can be done, I'd appreciate it! I'm trying to use Mint Xfce as my main desktop and I actually quite like it. I did manage to get it to boot Mint as a virtual machine from my Windows partition using VMWare -- that was really great and I might just need to do that when I want to work with both for cases like RDP.

You probably need to set your RDP hosts to use the less-secure older connection method (System Properties > Remote > somewhere near the bottom) - then you should be able to rdesktop to it.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1841 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 19:09:47 »
It doesn't if I assume correctly what ancient low-end stuff you mean.

Arch was one of the first distros to cut off support for pre-i686 architecture, and even i686 itself has recently become de facto deprecated.

A decade-old Core 2 Duo will still run alright, but I don't think that's what you mean based on your post history.
Good point...
There are distros meant for systems older than C2d, even Arch can do it, but most are pretty handicapped and the rest usually need some extra work, but anything less than 4gigs is really going too be handicapped because even with Linux, modern web browsers eat ram for breakfast.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Altis

« Reply #1842 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 00:28:16 »

You probably need to set your RDP hosts to use the less-secure older connection method (System Properties > Remote > somewhere near the bottom) - then you should be able to rdesktop to it.

I don't control the servers so this won't work.  :(

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1843 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 11:53:18 »
Has anyone tried Pop!_OS? I know it's supposed to be an iteration on Ubuntu:17.xx + Gnome 3, but I've heard it's put together very well. I feel like it could be too simple, but it really seems like the folks over at System76 know what they're doing. Also, I know some of their team develops for ElementaryOS, so that should be an indication of how well the UI end runs.

I have a feeling it's a quite heavy distro otherwise....

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #1844 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 13:00:52 »
I've tried moving from OS X to Ubuntu but I've become too dependent on the eco system. Too many tools I use in regular life that aren't available...
pls gief bbv2

Offline Vloshko

« Reply #1845 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 14:35:45 »
I started with Gentoo because other than making a distro from scratch it seemed like the best option to learn and achieve a better understanding in the long run when I had been only using Windows throughout my life. Currently, I'm using Arch Linux as my main distro, I made the switch a year and a half ago after using Gentoo for 3 years.

edit: I do have a system that uses windows that is required by work. In addition, I often switch back to Gentoo. Both Gentoo and Arch have their pros and cons.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 December 2017, 15:20:25 by Vloshko »
Keycap Compendium

Discord: Vloshko#1327

Key Cap Wishlist

2019: Configure Optimal Audio Settings

HHKB Pro 2, Model M, Unicorn X Legend, ESPECTRO 96, SaiB CP, E8-V1.

Offline rasmusx

« Reply #1846 on: Fri, 29 December 2017, 08:24:47 »
I started with Gentoo because other than making a distro from scratch it seemed like the best option to learn and achieve a better understanding in the long run when I had been only using Windows throughout my life. Currently, I'm using Arch Linux as my main distro, I made the switch a year and a half ago after using Gentoo for 3 years.

edit: I do have a system that uses windows that is required by work. In addition, I often switch back to Gentoo. Both Gentoo and Arch have their pros and cons.
I used also Gentoo long time ago and then moved to Arch Linux.
What you like about Gentoo? :)

For me endless compiling/optimizing was not needed at one point.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1847 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 23:45:25 »
I've tried moving from OS X to Ubuntu but I've become too dependent on the eco system. Too many tools I use in regular life that aren't available...

Moving operating systems sometimes means compromising.

I used Windows at home for years, then moved to Linux for a while.

Then I moved back to Windows, and them to OS X (now macOS).

I still have a Windows machine around for games, and my servers are mostly Linux.

At work we are moving away from Windows to cross-platform development, and three of us now have Macs.

Mostly open source software, which is generally cross-platform.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1848 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 12:40:37 »

I can't stress this enough to people making the switch. The reason the apple/google ecosystem has such a decisive grip on consumers is because they've built out everything to their specs. Their hardware/software/cloud is all made to play nice.

It will never be an easy transition, but it feels great breaking from that grip. It can be uncomfortable at times, but I say it's worth the switch.

.... And their are always alternatives to Mac software etc, just gotta look around.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1849 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 19:23:03 »

I can't stress this enough to people making the switch. The reason the apple/google ecosystem has such a decisive grip on consumers is because they've built out everything to their specs. Their hardware/software/cloud is all made to play nice.

It will never be an easy transition, but it feels great breaking from that grip. It can be uncomfortable at times, but I say it's worth the switch.

.... And their are always alternatives to Mac software etc, just gotta look around.

Different operating systems have different usage patterns, different controls and so on.  Different Linux distros are wildly different - Gnome, KDE, LXDE, XFCE etc. are all enormously different.  Windows changes sometimes drastically between versions.  macOS, I must say, has remained pretty much exactly the same since 10.0 (released in 2001, currently up to 10.13 released in 2017), with only minor incremental changes to window decorations and included tools.

When considering a migration, make a list of all the software you regularly use, say in a spreadsheet, and try to find if each application is cross-platform, or what the most common alternative is.

That should give a good indication how feasible an OS migration would be.