Author Topic: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit (Closed for Orders, 97% shipped. SEE LAST POSTS)  (Read 380873 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
TO ORDER: http://tinyurl.com/oyw3twp

quick announcement: i really want to encourage people to build these themselves. to that end, and with an _extremely_ generous donation from geniekid, if you order any form of the learn to solder kit, either the cl1481 standard kit (without soldapullt or nippers), or the learn to solder special kit (with the soldapullt and snippers), and you purchase a smallfry kit, we will provide you with an _extra_ pcb, free of charge, courtesy of geniekid, in case you make a mistake while constructing your kit  :eek:

announcement#2: we will now be color anodizing the titanium plates. the range of colors available is on the order page at the link above. once you've looked at the colors, please express your color preferences for your kit here

jdcarpe's 40% keyboard design with titanium top and bottom plates and a sorbothane gasket between the two. The kit will come with PCB, top and bottom titanium plates (without notches for switch removal), all necessary fasteners (machine screws and spacers) and small rubber bumpons for placing the keyboard at an angle.

100% of profits from this project will be donated to the Nathan J Walter foundation, a scholarship trust set up by the family of Nathan Walter aka Smallfry to support eagle scout community service projects. The first such project was a set of benches overlooking a lake, built by one of Nathan's pack-mates and friends, with a dedication to Nathan etched on the benches.

We miss you Smallfry.

Lead-time on this project will be between 4 and 6 weeks due to tooling and shipment times. Cost is 159$ per kit.

Our original goal with this project was to ship the kit by Nathan's birthday next month, just before keycon. Unfortunately, I don't think we will be able to meet that deadline, but kits should ship shortly after.

The image below is one of jdcarpe's stainless steel prototypes. The major difference between the smallfry 40% and his prototype is that the plates will be titanium: lighter, just as strong, and with a particularly cool looking surface finish. The second major difference is that, instead of the space between the plates being empty, they will have a black sorbothane gasket. Sorbothane is a rubber-like plastic that absorbs vibration. Hence, even though it will be a strong, very light keyboard, it will sound and feel like a much heavier board.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 July 2018, 13:40:02 by Photoelectric »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 17:51:33 »
YES!!!!

Offline Yslen

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 17:59:12 »
A couple of questions about the custom cut top plate (with switch cutouts) that a few people ordered to go with this kit:

• You mentioned that there might be an option to buy this kit without the standard top plate, to avoid redundancy for those ordering the version with switch cutouts. Is this still possible?
  • Will both this kit and the custom top plates be shipped together? I'm in the UK so it would be great if shipping could be combined!

Thanks, and thanks again for making this happen :D

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 18:00:13 »
Done. ;D ^I also wouldn't need a top plate, as I purchased the removable switch top plate. I'll leave a note here, as I've already placed my order.

Edit: Just to confirm, we'll need to source:
40x MX switches
2x PCB Plate mount stabilizers, 1x 6.25u Spacebar wire
1x Teensy
1x Female Mini USB port (SMD?)
_x diodes? Which ones? :o
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 June 2014, 02:56:23 by Zeal »
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Jrwestcoast

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 18:07:52 »
Ordered

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 18:08:49 »
Ordered.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 18:13:20 »
A couple of questions about the custom cut top plate (with switch cutouts) that a few people ordered to go with this kit:

• You mentioned that there might be an option to buy this kit without the standard top plate, to avoid redundancy for those ordering the version with switch cutouts. Is this still possible?
  • Will both this kit and the custom top plates be shipped together? I'm in the UK so it would be great if shipping could be combined!

yep, i can ship them at the same time.

it is still possible to order the kit without top plate but i need to calculate the cost difference and my brain is currently fried. for now, please order the full kit and put in your order notes that you don't need the top plate. i will give you a partial refund for the difference. once i calculate the cost difference, i will add an option for it.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 18:22:20 »
how much more is the plate with cutouts compared to no cutouts?

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 18:28:49 »
how much more is the plate with cutouts compared to no cutouts?

The switch plate with cutouts is already sold out. It was $90/plate. Price is mostly due to the extra cuts required on the laser vs waterjet.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Yslen

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 18:37:47 »

yep, i can ship them at the same time.

it is still possible to order the kit without top plate but i need to calculate the cost difference and my brain is currently fried. for now, please order the full kit and put in your order notes that you don't need the top plate. i will give you a partial refund for the difference. once i calculate the cost difference, i will add an option for it.

You're awesome, thanks :)

EDIT: Ordered, note added as requested :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 June 2014, 18:43:10 by Yslen »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 18:41:59 »
and now to sell my family members to buy this
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 18:44:38 »
Done. ;D ^I also wouldn't need a top plate, as I purchased the removable switch top plate. I'll leave a note here, as I've already placed my order.

Edit: Just to confirm, we'll need to source:
40x MX switches
2x PCB mount stabilizers, 1x 6.25u Spacebar wire
1x Teensy
_x diodes? Which ones? :o

The female USB Mini-B port is through hole, not SMD.

Also, a solder type male USB Mini-B end would be helpful.

Diodes are through hole 1N4148 rectifier diodes.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 22:32:03 »
Is there a limited supply for this kit? Is there a deadline?

I am spending way too much on keyboard stuff anyway and I am pretty sure I will not really use this layout. Would be a pretty expensive toy that will just sit on my desktop and look pretty.

But it's soooo tempting :p

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 22:45:38 »
Ordered!  Really glad to see this come together.  :)

I've also made a note about not needing the top plate, mkawa.   :D

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 00:59:33 »
Don't know about the deadline, but it's not limited -- in fact, if I was following the IC correctly, 30 kits is about the break-even point for the organizers -- no profit until that point, thus the NJW fund can't get any meaningful donation until about 40 kits.

I think 40 is about the number of kits that can be cut from one piece of titanium, so that might be something of a limitation -- 40 kits plus folks that have plates from the laser cut titanium or one of JD's steel plates.

Any chance at a PCB-only portion of the GB? And, does this board currently have PCB-mount holes like the ergodox, or is it plate-only like the phantom? ...Those are my questions...

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 01:31:48 »
everything is plate-mount only: stabilizers and switches.

because of that, pcb-only kits don't make a lot of sense.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 02:53:18 »
Yes!!!!!

Ordered. :D

Offline tototo

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 04:54:27 »
Am I missing something or is the deal that for the $160 you get:
The kit will come with
PCB,
top and bottom titanium plates (without notches for switch removal),
all necessary fasteners (machine screws and spacers) and
small rubber bumpons for placing the keyboard at an angle.

The in addition you need to get hold of:
40x MX switches
1x Teensy
_x diodes?

The information on the ordering page is poor. It should clearly state what you get and also what other parts that are the bare necessities to turn it into functioning keyboard. I like the initiative but don't know for sure what I would be ordering and thus what other bits that I need to get myself.
PokerII.ahk | Ducky G2Pro TKLDucky MiniPoker II, Ergodox ClassicErgodox Full hand | For sale: KBT Pure ProDucky YYY TKL

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 08:13:59 »
No chance on PCB only?  Recently got into making wood cases.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 08:21:52 »
No chance on PCB only?  Recently got into making wood cases.

You still would need a switch mounting plate, at the very least. Everything on this PCB is designed for plate mounting, meaning there are no holes in the PCB for mounting the spacebar stabilizer or for PCB mount switch pins.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SL89

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 08:25:05 »
I would get in on this, but i am not so sure about my abilities to put it together.  :(

So for now I'll just stay on jdcarpe's wait-list.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 09:12:08 »
Am I missing something or is the deal that for the $160 you get:
The kit will come with
PCB,
top and bottom titanium plates (without notches for switch removal),
all necessary fasteners (machine screws and spacers) and
small rubber bumpons for placing the keyboard at an angle.

The in addition you need to get hold of:
40x MX switches
1x Teensy
_x diodes?

The information on the ordering page is poor. It should clearly state what you get and also what other parts that are the bare necessities to turn it into functioning keyboard. I like the initiative but don't know for sure what I would be ordering and thus what other bits that I need to get myself.

yes, sorry, we'll be beefing that page up as we go. as i said before, we will put out a single-click bill of materials to order all the necessary passive components from the major parts suppliers, picking up stock of teensies, and some other stuff. sorry, brain's still a bit fried.

the response to this so far has been incredible. thanks everyone!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 09:32:28 »

I am spending way too much on keyboard stuff anyway and I am pretty sure I will not really use this layout. Would be a pretty expensive toy that will just sit on my desktop and look pretty.

But it's soooo tempting :p
unless i get a HUGE number of orders in the next few days, there is a limited supply that i've computed for. i actually don't have an exact count of how many units i will be able to yield because of the laser-cut plates already sold and some other stuff, but it's like 45-ish total to be conservative. the break-even point is at approximately 35 units. i have to order material in multiples of 20-ish kits, and i wasn't confident enough in demand to get to 60 kits, but if people overwhelm me with orders, we can totally get more made. more units is just more donation to the smallfry scholarship trust, so i'm absolutely happy to do it.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 09:32:54 »
also, geniekid and i have a plan brewing to help people build their own kits. stay tuned on that one!

Offline lowmagnet

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 11:13:13 »
 Ordered. This will make a perfect writing/ipad keyboard.  ;D

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 11:24:24 »
bluetooth in that board would be awesome ;D

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 11:26:48 »
you should be able to fit an adafruit ez-bt board as a daughter to the teensy, but you're on your own on that one

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 12:13:29 »
to be clear, if we can move about 25 units by next thursday, when i will be ordering the stock material, i will buy 2 more sheets: enough to make 20-ish more units for between 60 and 70 total units available. if all units sell at the 45-ish number, i will be able to make a multi-thousand dollar donation to the NJW foundation. if i can move 20 more, i can add more than a thousand dollars to that donation total.

Offline daddytime

• Tell Daddy.
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 13:09:32 »
do you need plate mount or pcb mount switches??
Tell Daddy.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 13:39:59 »

Plate mount. Or you can clip the plastic "legs" off PCB mount switches.

in memoriam

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 13:44:51 »

You would want to use Plate mounted switches, but if you have PCB mounted switches you can trim off the extra pins with clippers. So, technically, either would work.

Offline daddytime

• Tell Daddy.
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 13:50:28 »
excellent..i cant wait to assemble this! i just built my ergo and had so much fun doing it! I've been looking at other projects to build now. I've been wanting a 40% board for along time, its funny that I randomly stumbled on this gb! Perfect timing I guess!

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=315

is that the spacebar wire I need??
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 June 2014, 13:53:32 by daddytime »
Tell Daddy.

Offline Yslen

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 13:57:47 »
to be clear, if we can move about 25 units by next thursday, when i will be ordering the stock material, i will buy 2 more sheets: enough to make 20-ish more units for between 60 and 70 total units available. if all units sell at the 45-ish number, i will be able to make a multi-thousand dollar donation to the NJW foundation. if i can move 20 more, i can add more than a thousand dollars to that donation total.

It might well be worth advertising that very fact, in case people aren't aware to what extent this is a charity endeavour :)

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 14:25:31 »
Ordered.
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline daddytime

• Tell Daddy.
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 14:32:56 »
can we get a shot of the pcb??
Tell Daddy.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 14:49:12 »
images are on the product page

quick announcement: i really want to encourage people to build these themselves. to that end, and with an _extremely_ generous donation from geniekid, if you order any form of the learn to solder kit, either the cl1481 standard kit (without soldapullt or nippers), or the learn to solder special kit (with the soldapullt and snippers), and you purchase a smallfry kit, we will provide you with an _extra_ pcb, free of charge, courtesy of geniekid, in case you make a mistake while constructing your kit  :eek:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 14:52:10 »
^^ geniekid what a bro!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 14:52:42 »

in memoriam

Offline daddytime

• Tell Daddy.
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 14:56:26 »
so dope! I can't wait!
Tell Daddy.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 14:58:53 »
i have updated the product page with everything but the loose BOM of parts needed in addition to what is included in the kit.

also, looking at the orders, we are only 10 units away from hitting the 25 unit mark  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

i feel i should also make sure people are aware that we ran this effort by Largefry long before serious planning began and he is aware and approves of the project. i'm incredibly humbled by the generosity of the GH community. i did not think we would reach these numbers at all, especially within 24 hours of opening orders. HUGE THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO IS PARTICIPATING!
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 June 2014, 15:03:22 by mkawa »

Offline daddytime

• Tell Daddy.
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 15:01:22 »
anyway i can just buy a second pcb??
Tell Daddy.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 15:09:43 »
I love bill me later

Purchased! Along with some extra stuffs
1x Edsyn RS200 tip cleaning sponge for $3.00 each
 1x Edsyn Soldering Iron Tips - LT374 (small 0.8mm chisel) for $5.00 each
 1x The Smallfry Keyboard Kit for $159.00 each
 1x ID Innovations ps2 to USB adapter - 1-pack for $10.00 each
 1x Kester 44 63/37 Sn/Pb RA 0.02" Solder - Appx 1oz for $12.00 each
 1x Edsyn Blunt-Nose Tw eezers f or $5.00 each
 1x Edsyn/GH DS017GH Desoldering Hand Pump - DS017GH complete unit for $20.00 each

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 16:04:42 »
I am offering FREE assembly service for the first 5 4 3 2 individuals ( just post in the thread ) that perhaps don't have any soldering equipment but would still want to purchase this keyboard.

I would prefer it to be in the USA, all I ask is for you to pay the shipping.

If you are happy with the assembly and want to send any money for the service please message Mkawa so that he can get the money to Smallfry's family.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 June 2014, 05:43:29 by Thechemist »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 16:12:58 »
I am offering FREE assembly service for the first 5 individuals ( just post in the thread ) that perhaps don't have any soldering equipment but would still want to purchase this keyboard.

I would prefer it to be in the USA, all I ask if is for you to pay the shipping.

If you are happy with the assembly and want to send any money for the service please message Mkawa so that he can get the money to Smallfry's family.

^^ Another great guy right here folks, he knows his way around a soldering iron. ;)

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 16:57:52 »
I am offering FREE assembly service for the first 5 individuals ( just post in the thread ) that perhaps don't have any soldering equipment but would still want to purchase this keyboard.

**** IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS SERVICE PM ME SO THAT I CAN GIVE YOU INSTRUCTIONS ON WHAT TO PUT IN THE NOTES WHEN ORDERING THE KEYBOARD****

I have spoken with Mkawa and he will combine all the kits and ship them to me. I will then split that cost between the individuals, this way you will only pay shipping from me ( USA, Conus ) to you + the split cost of shipping to me instead of paying shipping twice ( Thank you Mkawa ).

If you don't have the switches, I can purchase them ( 50 pack ) from Mechanicalkeyboards for $29 including shipping
Colors available as of this post from MK

RED
BLUE
GREEN
BROWN
BLACK
GRAY
WHITE
CLEAR

Some of the switches will require me to convert them from PCB to plate by clipping the two legs off, this will not affect the switch in any way.

I can also do a ergo-clear mod if you purchase / send me the springs.

I am including free diodes / resistor / led on caps lock ( blue / red / purple ) / spacebar stabilizer / usb connector / usb cable for the teensy with the assembly, you will still need to buy a teensy 2.0 which will be offered later and your choice of switches from MK or the ones you want to send me.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 June 2014, 19:39:13 by Thechemist »

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 17:12:38 »
Spots taken / available:

1. Vibex
2. GSimon
3. babyeatinwu
4. byker
5. ranker

« Last Edit: Tue, 17 June 2014, 16:46:22 by Thechemist »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 17:23:47 »
Another endorsement for Thechemist's assembly services. He does excellent work, bar none. And he has already assembled one of my JD40s, so he knows the ins and outs of assembly for them.

in memoriam

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 17:27:42 »
What's the eta of these boards? I want to get one made before July 5th               

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 17:30:57 »
What's the eta of these boards? I want to get one made before July 5th               

Not likely to happen.

in memoriam

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 17:33:49 »

I'll take you up on this offer if they haven't all been taken.