Author Topic: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit (Closed for Orders, 97% shipped. SEE LAST POSTS)  (Read 380882 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 17:52:59 »
estimated lead time is 6 weeks. i am almost certain that i can't do better than that. i'm going to do my best to get my shops moving, but i use these guys regularly, and they are giving me big breaks on this stuff already, so i'm not going to rush them inappropriately.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 18:57:16 »
I am offering FREE assembly service for the first 5 individuals ( just post in the thread ) that perhaps don't have any soldering equipment but would still want to purchase this keyboard.

I would prefer it to be in the USA, all I ask is for you to pay the shipping.

If you are happy with the assembly and want to send any money for the service please message Mkawa so that he can get the money to Smallfry's family.

**** IF YOU ARE INTEREST IN THIS SERVICE PM ME SO THAT I CAN GIVE YOU INSTRUCTIONS ON WHAT TO PUT IN THE NOTES WHEN ORDERING THE KEYBOARD****

I have spoken with Mkawa and he will combine all the kits and ship them to me. I will then split that cost between the individuals, this way you will only pay shipping from me ( USA, Conus ) to you + the split cost of shipping to me instead of paying shipping twice ( Thank you Mkawa ).

If you don't have the switches, I can purchase them ( 50 pack ) from Mechanicalkeyboards for $29 including shipping
Colors available as of this post from MK

RED
BLUE
GREEN
BROWN
BLACK
GRAY
WHITE
CLEAR

Some of the switches will require me to convert them from PCB to plate by clipping the two legs off, this will not affect the switch in any way.

I can also do a ergo-clear mod if you purchase / send me the springs.

I am including free diodes / resistor / led on caps lock ( blue / red / purple ) / spacebar stabilizer / usb connector with the assembly, you will still need to buy a teensy 2.0 which will be offered later and your choice of switches from MK or the ones you want to send me.

I thought this kit came with the teensy.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 19:08:10 »
no. we're going to sell those separately once we figure out how many to buy

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 19:20:59 »
Forgot to ask, will the pcb allow pcb mounted switches? Don't want to cut off the pegs on the switches I have right now

Offline tbc

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 19:22:39 »
they already said platemounted switches and stabs only
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 19:23:02 »
Forgot to ask, will the pcb allow pcb mounted switches? Don't want to cut off the pegs on the switches I have right now

No, you will have to either cut the legs, swap the bottom of the switch or use plate mount switches.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 19:23:23 »

I hate to do this but...

do you need plate mount or pcb mount switches??

Plate mount. Or you can clip the plastic "legs" off PCB mount switches.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 19:32:08 »
Can you confirm if my order went through. I submitted it, it said it was processing order, and then it returned to the previous page. My name is mod edit: removed personal information
EDIT: Sorry I didn't know my name was confidential. :-[
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 June 2014, 20:26:41 by Vibex »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 20:25:33 »
PM sent.

Offline mooswa

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 21:54:38 »
Ordered!

Offline GSimon

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 23:57:14 »
Ordered!

I am offering FREE assembly service for the first 5 individuals ( just post in the thread ) that perhaps don't have any soldering equipment but would still want to purchase this keyboard.
:D :D :D muchas gracias!
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 June 2014, 00:00:33 by GSimon »

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 00:16:20 »
Ordered
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Lingj

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 00:30:59 »
I am offering FREE assembly service for the first 5 4 3 individuals ( just post in the thread ) that perhaps don't have any soldering equipment but would still want to purchase this keyboard.

If you are happy with the assembly and want to send any money for the service please message Mkawa so that he can get the money to Smallfry's family.

Props. I would definitely do this if I didn't want to build it myself.
Also, Ordered.

Offline babyeatinwu

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 01:11:33 »
I am offering FREE assembly service for the first 5 4 3 individuals ( just post in the thread ) that perhaps don't have any soldering equipment but would still want to purchase this keyboard.

Ordered!

Would love to have this service. Thanks!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 01:20:48 »
I wonder how a brushed stainless spacer would look between the plates??
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 01:30:28 »
i'm pretty sure you guys just blew away that 25 unit goal i set for NEXT THURSDAY :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 01:37:00 »
i'm pretty sure you guys just blew away that 25 unit goal i set for NEXT THURSDAY :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Nice.  Did you get my PM?

Offline tbc

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 02:31:55 »

are you volunteering yourself to make and sell some spacers for this project? :p

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 02:34:21 »

That is a generous offer sir! I am not from the US, but I would love to take a spot if possible.

I pay for the shipping to EU of course.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 03:26:14 »

are you volunteering yourself to make and sell some spacers for this project? :p

Sadly no.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 04:09:32 »
So no more mod friendly top plates?

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 08:42:35 »
I'm still afk. I'll be able to place my order on Thursday so you can count on my order for helping to make the stretch batch.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 08:44:23 »
So no more mod friendly top plates?
No, they only did a limited run.  :'( If there is a second round though I would totally be in for one. ;)

Offline daddytime

• Tell Daddy.
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 09:47:47 »
a bunch of redditors hopped on! I know we might not be your favorite bunch but we share the same passion of a keyboard autist.
Tell Daddy.

Offline daddytime

• Tell Daddy.
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 09:48:46 »
im tempted to order two, just to hang on to one for later!
Tell Daddy.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 11:01:28 »
Any chance I could just get a Ti bottom plate?
I have a constructed JD40 and cutout top plate.

Offline Darkwell

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 11:19:55 »
This is perfect! I've been wanting to build a board for ages! I ordered :) Cannot wait to receive it!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:15:15 »
I am interested but don't know how to solder. Would this be a suitable beginner's project? I know that there is the opportunity for someone else to do it, but I would like to learn!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:25:34 »
there's going to be a limited number of bottom plate-only kits, and priority will go to the people who had notched ti top plates cut. the last few cuts are in flux though, so i'm not exactly sure how many extra bottom plate units there will be.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:27:22 »
I am interested but don't know how to solder. Would this be a suitable beginner's project? I know that there is the opportunity for someone else to do it, but I would like to learn!
the link to order is on the store.

there are only really two points that need to be taken heed of when soldering up the PCB. one hookup wire needs to be run between the USB port ground and the teensy, and the teensy needs to be mounted very flush to the pcb bottom. other than that, i would say it's a good beginner project and probably easier than an ergodox.

Offline tbc

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:40:37 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 June 2014, 18:18:59 by tbc »

Offline geniekid

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:58:06 »

This is a great project for learning how to solder.  Through hole soldering of resistors and switches is very basic.  Also, if you don't already have a soldering kit I highly recommend picking up the kit from Geekhackers.org.  That's the one I used when learning how to solder and if you buy it in conjunction with the Smallfry kit you'll get a second Smallfry PCB free.  I honestly think with 1 PCB you'd be hard pressed to make a mistake that's unrecoverable, but with 2 you could even end up with an extra PCB for a future project!

Offline Lingj

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 14:12:45 »

This is a great project for learning how to solder.  Through hole soldering of resistors and switches is very basic.  Also, if you don't already have a soldering kit I highly recommend picking up the kit from Geekhackers.org.  That's the one I used when learning how to solder and if you buy it in conjunction with the Smallfry kit you'll get a second Smallfry PCB free.  I honestly think with 1 PCB you'd be hard pressed to make a mistake that's unrecoverable, but with 2 you could even end up with an extra PCB for a future project!

Do I have to order the deluxe kit or can I just order the soldering iron with the smallfry?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 14:19:52 »

Do I have to order the deluxe kit or can I just order the soldering iron with the smallfry?
images are on the product page

quick announcement: i really want to encourage people to build these themselves. to that end, and with an _extremely_ generous donation from geniekid, if you order any form of the learn to solder kit, either the cl1481 standard kit (without soldapullt or nippers), or the learn to solder special kit (with the soldapullt and snippers), and you purchase a smallfry kit, we will provide you with an _extra_ pcb, free of charge, courtesy of geniekid, in case you make a mistake while constructing your kit  :eek:
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline geniekid

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 14:36:28 »

Actually that's a good question.  My understanding is you don't need the deluxe kit (with soldapullt and cutters), but I think you will need the *standard kit* that comes with the iron holder, Kester solder, additional tips, tip changing wrench, and an extension cord.  I do not believe just the iron itself will qualify for the deal.  mkawa has the final say in this matter so hopefully he will correct me if I am wrong!

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 15:28:13 »
DSA is pretty much the only option for caps, is that right?

http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products/full-keysets/dsa-blank-sets-1

I'm probally going to order a set of these, is this enough to cover the weird mods?

Offline findingthelimit

• Rawr
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 15:33:33 »
I've never built a keyboard before, and i will be learning how to do so when the duck viper / eagle is out. How similar would this be? I will probably buy the soldering kit and get into this business this summer :D
Poker 2 reds, GH60 42g ergo clears

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 15:37:08 »
I've never built a keyboard before, and i will be learning how to do so when the duck viper / eagle is out. How similar would this be? I will probably buy the soldering kit and get into this business this summer :D

You will probably want to practice on something you don't mind ruining before trying on a keyboard.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 15:37:37 »
DSA is pretty much the only option for caps, is that right?

http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products/full-keysets/dsa-blank-sets-1

I'm probally going to order a set of these, is this enough to cover the weird mods?

Round 5 had a 40% set option.

Offline Lingj

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 15:40:16 »
Actually that's a good question.  My understanding is you don't need the deluxe kit (with soldapullt and cutters), but I think you will need the *standard kit* that comes with the iron holder, Kester solder, additional tips, tip changing wrench, and an extension cord.  I do not believe just the iron itself will qualify for the deal.  mkawa has the final say in this matter so hopefully he will correct me if I am wrong!

Yeah, I'm asking this because there is no "standard kit" labeled in the store.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 16:22:31 »

It would be very similar.  You would need to solder both switches and diodes for both boards.  Maybe the LEDs you would have to solder for the Viper/Eagle would require a tiny bit more precision than the plain switch diodes for the Smallfry (the Viper/Eagle have those presoldered), but you'll need that level of precision to solder on the Teensy controller for the Smallfry anyway (the Viper/Eagle also has the controller presoldered). 

If you're going to get the Geekhacker's soldering kit and if the timing for each GB allows for it, I would echo Spamray's implied recommendation (I think) of doing the Smallfry first since 1) you'll get an extra PCB to practice on and 2) the Smallfry will be significantly less expensive than the Viper/Eagle.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 16:25:03 »

Yeah, I'm asking this because there is no "standard kit" labeled in the store.

I can confidently state the "standard kit" is the $79.00 one you can select when you're looking at this.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 16:51:03 »
there's going to be a limited number of bottom plate-only kits, and priority will go to the people who had notched ti top plates cut. the last few cuts are in flux though, so i'm not exactly sure how many extra bottom plate units there will be.

I got one of those notched top plates. Shouldn't be an issue, then?
Possible to get it without the PCB, too? Should I use the order form in the OP?

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 20:34:55 »
Congrats to everyone involved on getting this to be such a success!  I wasn't here to meet Smallfry, but reading about him makes me happy :) 
Hi :)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 21:26:32 »
I'd order but no money.

Smallfry is a very important part of this website, even almost a year after his passing.

I hope everyone enjoys their smallfry keyboards once they're all built.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 23:47:22 »
Congrats to everyone involved on getting this to be such a success!  I wasn't here to meet Smallfry, but reading about him makes me happy :) 

I'd order but no money.

Smallfry is a very important part of this website, even almost a year after his passing.

I hope everyone enjoys their smallfry keyboards once they're all built.

I'm in the same boat. Way cool too, that they're going classy with the Ti plate/base.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 11:03:55 »
I am completely blown away here. We just hit 30 orders. I let me supplier know that I will be upping the material order. At the rate these orders are coming in, I may have to bump it again before Thursday. You guys and gals are incredible. Thank you all so much for your generosity.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 11:08:00 »
Also, for additional donations to the NJW foundation, please hold onto your money for now. I am still waiting to hear back from Largefry re: the status of the trust. Ideally, it's best if additional donations go directly to him. However, if you donate to geekhack via the donation buttons anywhere on this site and put "please donate this directly to the NJW foundation" or anything to that effect, I will make sure that the money gets to the NJW foundation.

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 12:38:43 »
I'll build 5 of these if people don't want to do themselves - will be $25 per board which I will donate 100% of.
I got boards.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 12:51:58 »
note that margo is in the EU