Author Topic: My DIY Caps  (Read 254133 times)

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
  • I specialize in bird law.
Re: My DIY Caps
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 21:53:42 »
thinking of updating the brainy cap of its design to be non susceptible to bubbles.

Some ideas im trying right now...

Show Image

I hope you manage to accomplish this! I was trying to for a while, but ended up tabling the idea for the time being- found it to be quite a challenge.

Loving your work man!   :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 November 2014, 15:45:58 by Dodgy »
Hi, what's your favorite color?
I'm making keycaps, take a look if you give a damn.
Sale Thread

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 01:09:13 »
Thank you sir.

Been busy with work after vacation and moving things around at home which made this thread without update for sometime already...  :-X

Since the brainy skull base design broke off already and i think its time for an upgrade. I havent though of the final design yet but just an initial testing of what im trying to do for it as shown below.

Need to make the 2 liquid effect pop up more and learn how to get the brain stay in the middle of the cylinder. Also need to make the cylinder more glasslike.

Been trying a new process that is eliminating immense bubbles when casting so hopefully that improves alot while im looking for a vacuum chamber.

Thanks for looking!  :thumb:
TGR Jane CE | TX-CP | ZZ96 | HHKB | Ducky Shine 3 | Atreus | Infinity Ergodox | IBM Model M | Smart Pad | Taobao Acrylic 96 | TGR910 SE | RGB96 | M4-A | Moon

Pending: Exent | EM7 | M-60 | Kira EXS | 910 Poly | Kn210 | Alice

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 01:15:59 »
very cool caps! looks awesome!
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 09:21:54 »
Those tanks look sweet! Especially from the top :D

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 09:23:09 »
Love the green brain!
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 12:44:36 »
That green brain looks awesome!  I would be willing to take that off your hands  ;)
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 04:31:54 »
Thanks! Glad you like the concept. Im still enhancing the design until im satisfied with it.

I also just want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who supported me which allowed me to earn and finally buy a vacuum chamber. Since i cannot find anything here, it would still be cheaper to order 1 in US since i dont want to risk spending on something that might fail in the future if i go the DIY route. So im expecting to get the chamber next month and hopefully i can release my new skull design that i think you guys would like. I learned alot from when i started and until now which forced me to learn 3d designing which the new design would be created from.

Im just finishing some custom orders now and will probably update this thread after my xmas vacation which is until next year.

You guys are awesome!

Just a teaser for the skull design.

TGR Jane CE | TX-CP | ZZ96 | HHKB | Ducky Shine 3 | Atreus | Infinity Ergodox | IBM Model M | Smart Pad | Taobao Acrylic 96 | TGR910 SE | RGB96 | M4-A | Moon

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 07:23:31 »
Thanks! Glad you like the concept. Im still enhancing the design until im satisfied with it.

I also just want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who supported me which allowed me to earn and finally buy a vacuum chamber. Since i cannot find anything here, it would still be cheaper to order 1 in US since i dont want to risk spending on something that might fail in the future if i go the DIY route. So im expecting to get the chamber next month and hopefully i can release my new skull design that i think you guys would like. I learned alot from when i started and until now which forced me to learn 3d designing which the new design would be created from.

Im just finishing some custom orders now and will probably update this thread after my xmas vacation which is until next year.

You guys are awesome!

Just a teaser for the skull design.

Show Image

That looks awesome!
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Murdari0

« Reply #108 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 18:37:22 »
Sweet. I've got to get around to taking some photos of my kraps.

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #109 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 10:54:08 »

Offline mogo

« Reply #110 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 11:39:48 »
Lookin' smooth! That cap looks like it's made of metal. :P

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 09:29:19 »
Crazy Eye

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 09:34:47 »

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 09:35:14 »

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 09:35:40 »

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 09:58:53 »
These are all so fantastic!

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline mogo

« Reply #116 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 10:31:43 »
The pink one reminds me of watermelon bubblegum, the purple one reminds me of Nickelodeon. xD

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 21:44:58 »
as usual, great work, BUT for future tooling, PLEASE BE SAFE! vacuum, pressure and polymer processing all involve the possibility of severe damage to your life and health. you're obviously having a ton of fun, and that is extremely cool and good! but not at the expense of your life and health. the other casters here are an incredible resource that i encourage you to mine heavily from.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 21:56:22 »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 00:47:24 »
as usual, great work, BUT for future tooling, PLEASE BE SAFE! vacuum, pressure and polymer processing all involve the possibility of severe damage to your life and health. you're obviously having a ton of fun, and that is extremely cool and good! but not at the expense of your life and health. the other casters here are an incredible resource that i encourage you to mine heavily from.

Thanks for the warning. That is also the reason why i didnt go with the DIY route for the chamber. Reading a lot of articles on it made me wary to build something i am not familiar with and decided to go with the ready made route. Hopefully the one i purchased is adequate to the work id be doing.

I also read some makers hear that you create chambers for them and suggests useful information that would help them how to use the tool. Unfortunately, i am located far east from you else i would have pm'd you for help if youre willing to :)

Since im mostly doing things by myself and learning by doing or making mistakes, i do hope that using the vacuum chamber system is the one thing i get correctly the first time.

In anycase you have any helpful tips for me, please do let me know and i am eager to hear anything that is new for me especially the ones that would help me do things correctly and safely.  :thumb:

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 08:43:18 »
just got a cheap macro extension tube lens and trying it out.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 19:29:05 »

Thanks for the warning. That is also the reason why i didnt go with the DIY route for the chamber. Reading a lot of articles on it made me wary to build something i am not familiar with and decided to go with the ready made route. Hopefully the one i purchased is adequate to the work id be doing.

I also read some makers hear that you create chambers for them and suggests useful information that would help them how to use the tool. Unfortunately, i am located far east from you else i would have pm'd you for help if youre willing to :)

Since im mostly doing things by myself and learning by doing or making mistakes, i do hope that using the vacuum chamber system is the one thing i get correctly the first time.

In anycase you have any helpful tips for me, please do let me know and i am eager to hear anything that is new for me especially the ones that would help me do things correctly and safely.  :thumb:
pm me literally anytime. i'm absolutely happy to help in any way, from direct one-on-one support for the device you bought in MY to anything i can get to you from the states. seriously. i do not want to see anyone injured pursuing their creativity here. we're making stuff _together_ and that means we look out for each other too.

and man, that brain cap is AWESOME!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 19:36:55 »
oh, and photography tip. macro tubes dissipate the amount of light you get at the camera sensor. put more light on the subject; by more light, i mean a LOT of light. i use panels of LEDs that are becoming pretty common these days: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=117&cp_id=11707&cs_id=1170702&p_id=10571&seq=1&format=2

then, put your camera on aperture priority and close down your aperture to around f16. if you're not getting the whole subject in focus, keep closing that aperture down. your light meter is going to tell you that you need an exposure time in the seconds at this point, even with a ton of light. that's fine. put the camera on a stable tripod and trigger it with a remote if you can.

leaving your camera sensor exposing for such a long time heats the sensor up significantly, so let the camera cool down a bit every few shots while you reposition the lights and the subject. this should get the entire cap in focus though. you'll also notice that you can play with the shadows and highlights a lot by just moving the lights a teeny tiny bit.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 20:11:58 »
The caps are looking great!  I really hope that I can get one of these in the near future. 
Great job  :thumb:
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 21:07:05 »
oh, and photography tip. macro tubes dissipate the amount of light you get at the camera sensor. put more light on the subject; by more light, i mean a LOT of light. i use panels of LEDs that are becoming pretty common these days: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=117&cp_id=11707&cs_id=1170702&p_id=10571&seq=1&format=2

then, put your camera on aperture priority and close down your aperture to around f16. if you're not getting the whole subject in focus, keep closing that aperture down. your light meter is going to tell you that you need an exposure time in the seconds at this point, even with a ton of light. that's fine. put the camera on a stable tripod and trigger it with a remote if you can.

leaving your camera sensor exposing for such a long time heats the sensor up significantly, so let the camera cool down a bit every few shots while you reposition the lights and the subject. this should get the entire cap in focus though. you'll also notice that you can play with the shadows and highlights a lot by just moving the lights a teeny tiny bit.

hey thanks for the info. ive been tinkering around with the lens all night just to get a decent shot. ill try your suggestion and see what happens. first time doing macros and it seems a bit complicated because of the lens im using so im taking all the info i can use.  :thumb:

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #125 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 01:00:22 »
Keep it up Krytone! Your caps are looking better and better.

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 10:15:42 »
Just doin some random ideas while on vacation...

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 10:25:03 »

Show Image

Shut up and take my money ... seriously

Edit: when I get home from my cousins birthday party I'm going to try some color combos on this cap. It's seriously one of my favorite artisan designs ever
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 December 2014, 10:54:31 by tigersharkdude »

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 10:28:20 »
Awesome!

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 11:35:53 »
That is awesome! Its like a mini charizard... oh my childhood memories..

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 21:25:04 »

Show Image

Show Image

dude.......this cap is amazing!!!
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 02:33:47 »

Show Image

Show Image

The detail on that is awesome... How do you make these designs?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 06:14:40 »
How have I only just found this thread?  These caps are awesome!

Hope I don't miss the next sale, I'd love one of these.
More
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #133 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 08:33:37 »
this is too cute not to be casted. lets just hope it would survive my flight back home unbaked.

Finished large details. Will add up smaller details after baking and see if molding it would be possible.  :p :p :p

The 3 tailed Overly Chibi Dragon (OCD)  :p

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 08:37:14 »
I love it man, is like a pokemon ;)!

congrats
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline Moralless

« Reply #135 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 08:39:45 »
this is too cute not to be casted. lets just hope it would survive my flight back home unbaked.

Finished large details. Will add up smaller details after baking and see if molding it would be possible.  :p :p :p

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I hope for your sake it will return intact. Really excited how this will turn out seeing as you're getting new equipment for casting, and glad to see you're enjoying your holiday :))

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #136 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 09:47:02 »
:throws_money_at_monitor:

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #137 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 10:40:53 »
I love it! thanks for the closer pics!
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #138 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 17:25:14 »
Count me in for a few!
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Alex528

• HELLO YES I LIKE CLICKY KEYBOARD YES VERY NICE
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 13:34:04 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I need this keycap in my life as soon as humanly possible. Please. I'm begging you.

Poker 2, SP PBT DSA, MX Blues.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #140 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 04:58:50 »

Show Image

Show Image

Well done Krytone! Count me in for one.

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 06:07:53 »
that looks really nice!!! keep up the good work!definitely up for 1 or 2 of the chibi dragon if the colours match
ALi
Filco MJ2 TKL MX Browns | KC60 Gateron Browns

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #142 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 19:50:44 »
potato pic!

Offline cephelix

• to buy or not to buy?
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 23:08:48 »
nice......And your location is malaysia! i didn't realise..hello neighbour
ALi
Filco MJ2 TKL MX Browns | KC60 Gateron Browns

Offline MessyCaps

• Stressed out cap maker taking a break :S
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 02:09:26 »
I love your work! It is a great inspiration for newbie key cap makers  ;D

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 22:57:08 »
potato pic!

Show Image

you're my hero.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 10:59:24 »
Brick KRAP!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 11:04:11 »
That is interesting.

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 11:04:54 »
If you can somehow make it like legos and stackable.... my mind will be blown

(basically like how some lego pieces and fit the X shape rods through while remain stackable)

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 11:06:52 »
Skull KRAP :p