Author Topic: [GB] Octagon 75% Kustom Keyboard  (Read 219396 times)

Offline blackkat

Re: [GB] Octagon 75% Kustom Keyboard
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 10:24:43 »
Ordered yesterday, hopefully before the cut-off  :'(

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #201 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 10:59:50 »
Btw does the octagon and the eagle/vipe have an option to control or dim the LEDs

Offline whizzard

• whizzard got ur gizzard
    • LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #202 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 16:12:31 »
Hey there... I ordered this a while ago, and I am also a first time group buyer here on geekhack.  I am good with soldering and understand how to put a keyboard together, but I did think that the board came with switches and keys.  It is okay that it doesn't but I am having trouble finding an online retailer that sells keys, switches, usb cables, and all that good stuff.  I know the type of switch I want but am not sure where to buy them.  Also, what exactly does come with this kit?  Is it just a board and a case for it?  Any help much appreciated.

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #203 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 16:45:04 »
It is okay that it doesn't but I am having trouble finding an online retailer that sells keys, switches, usb cables, and all that good stuff.  I know the type of switch I want but am not sure where to buy them. 
I got my switches from wasdkeyboards.com, 100 pcs for $60, Cherry stabilizers from gonskeyboardworks.com

Also, what exactly does come with this kit?  Is it just a board and a case for it?  Any help much appreciated.

Included in this set:
Aluminium housing (Aluminum 6061) in black, silver, blue-gray, or red
MX Reinforcement stainless steel plate (STS-304 1.5T)
PCB presoldered (resistors, diodes, smd leds, etc, but not switches)
Fixing bolts
Custom metal stickers

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #204 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 16:43:38 »
Hey there... I ordered this a while ago, and I am also a first time group buyer here on geekhack.  I am good with soldering and understand how to put a keyboard together, but I did think that the board came with switches and keys.  It is okay that it doesn't but I am having trouble finding an online retailer that sells keys, switches, usb cables, and all that good stuff.  I know the type of switch I want but am not sure where to buy them.  Also, what exactly does come with this kit?  Is it just a board and a case for it?  Any help much appreciated.

zealpc.net i think stocks all that
kit content quoted above me ^

Offline whizzard

• whizzard got ur gizzard
    • LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #205 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 10:09:31 »
Thanks so much for the responses.  I bookmarked those sites.  Any idea how long the production phase usually lasts?

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #206 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 12:37:52 »
Thanks so much for the responses.  I bookmarked those sites.  Any idea how long the production phase usually lasts?
Once production has started the Koreans are usually quite fast. I believe the estimate for the Orion was 1-2 months at most but some Koreans received theirs a week after the deadline. They were all shipped within 5 weeks, straight from Korea.
Now the actual assembly and completion though...  :p

Here are some more part websites.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 December 2014, 12:55:11 by JaccoW »
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline elton5354

« Reply #207 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 14:24:15 »
I was told the Octagon will be ready to ship around end of Jan 2015.

Offline Data

« Reply #208 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 14:59:49 »
Hokay, cool.

Gives me some time to find switches & LEDs.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #209 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 15:38:36 »
Hokay, cool.

Gives me some time to find switches & LEDs.

I highly recommend mkb.com for switches and either eBay or aliexpress and taobao for LEDs but its probably going to cost a lot more from eBay.

@Elton that's awesome considering its usually around 1 week shipping with EMS from the daybitbgets sent. Really looking forward to my two boards

Offline blackkat

« Reply #210 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 08:56:12 »
Would anyone like to split shipping / take part in a mini group-buy for an order of stabs to Canada?  The shipping costs for a set are more than the items are worth.  :mad:
 I'm looking at either $10.00 shipping to Canada from imsto.cn for hammer stabs or ~$23 from gonskeyboardworks.com for cherry stabs.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 12:32:23 »
Elton might be interested since he is located in Canada although I'm assuming he already has everything he needs to finish his build.

Offline swornxin

• Nailed Down Custom Pins
« Reply #212 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 13:16:42 »

Would anyone like to split shipping / take part in a mini group-buy for an order of stabs to Canada?  The shipping costs for a set are more than the items are worth.  :mad:
 I'm looking at either $10.00 shipping to Canada from imsto.cn for hammer stabs or ~$23 from gonskeyboardworks.com for cherry stabs.
I could get down with this.

Octagon - 62g Cherry tactile greys
Phantom - 65g Cherry tactile greys
FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #213 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 19:25:05 »

I could get down with this.

Me too. 

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #214 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 20:49:21 »
i'd participate. would be even better if they come pre-clipped

Offline cannonking

« Reply #215 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 04:25:03 »
Any word on customising the metal sticker?

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #216 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 10:21:17 »

Perhaps the person to receive the mini GB from Ivan can just clip out the legs instead?

Offline elton5354

« Reply #217 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 10:59:38 »

Yes if you just want your username to be on it, just leave it and it will be the default.  IF you want a custom name on it, let me know. I think it is like 12 characters max.

Offline magically

« Reply #218 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 12:49:26 »
omgomg i just missed this!! when will there be one again

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #219 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 12:58:13 »
The next one will be when we have enough oders to fill the MoQ. There might possibly be an extended addon order time depending on how the GB goes just like it did for the Duck Viper/Eagle but that is really up to Elton and whoever he works with on this.

Offline cannonking

« Reply #220 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 14:19:54 »

Yes if you just want your username to be on it, just leave it and it will be the default.  IF you want a custom name on it, let me know. I think it is like 12 characters max.
What about supplying a vector so we can have a symbol printed, or at least choosing a font?

Offline blackkat

« Reply #221 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 15:28:48 »
Canadian Mini Group buy for Stabs

This Mini GB is open to Canadian users of GeekHack.  Shipping as billed to me (blackkat) in Toronto, ON will be evenly split between each member of the GB with payment being handled by PayPal invoice.

Prices

The base price for a set is the same as that charged by imsto and gon ($10.00 and $9.00 respectively).

Order Deadline

The deadline for orders is midnight of December 31th, with invoicing starting on January 1st  The master order(s) will be sent in as soon as the bulk of the payment(s) have been made.

Terms

This groupbuy is being run for the GeekHack community and not for profit.  You can base the outbound shipping estimates on the followingShipping Estimates  I will use a bubble mailer, with cardboard inserts to stiffen the mailer, and protect the contents against damage.

This is my first group buy as an orgnizer, but not my first as a participant.  If you have any questions, feel free to PM me to avoid cluttering up this thread. Any FAQ's will be edited into this post.

Orders

Order Form

Edit
  • Added a spacebar size option for the stabs from Gon.
  • Invoices have been sent out (2015/01/05)
  • All invoices paid, order submitted, and payment submitted (2015/01/06)
  • Will update individuals with the master tracking number once I've received it. (2015/01/06)
  • Order status with Gon has been changed to "Preparation in progress." (2015/01/12)
  • Order status with Gon has been changed to Shipped.  Once I have a valid tracking number, I will send an update to each member (2015/01/18)
  • I have a valid master tracking number, which has been sent to each member. (2015/01/20)
  • According to the master tracking number, the package has now landed at Pearson.  So I should be getting and reshipping the stabs next week. (2015/01/22)
  • Stabs are now at the Mississauga sorting centre and will likely have to pass through customs first. (2015/01/22)
  • Package was released from customs. (2015/01/22)
  • Package is due to be delivered today, so shipping will start next week. (2015/01/23)
  • Shipping options PM sent to members. Please let me know your preference (2015/01/26)
  • All of the stabs have either been delivered or are on their way to their rightful owners. (2015/01/28)
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 January 2015, 15:22:25 by blackkat »

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #222 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 15:51:36 »
thanks for doing this! one question, what's the difference between the hammer stabs and the standard ones?

Offline swornxin

« Reply #223 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 18:45:46 »
thanks for doing this! one question, what's the difference between the hammer stabs and the standard ones?
Also wondering this.

FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #224 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 19:24:55 »
Also wondering this.
I remember seeing a post about someone's Hammer stabs flaking out and having to replace them with authentic Cherry stabs (it was in the Duck Viper GB thread somewhere). Just a heads up.
null

Offline tbc

« Reply #225 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 00:00:42 »
won't this make much more sense as a separate gb?

i've never seen a gb inside a gb before
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #226 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 00:02:21 »

Obviously you haven't heard of GBception!

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline tbc

« Reply #227 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 00:14:26 »

Obviously you haven't heard of GBception!

you want me to make a gb for the right to run a gb inside a gb already running?

i hate you
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline blackkat

« Reply #228 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 10:09:05 »
Also wondering this.

The difference between the two types of stabs seems to be price and quality.  I added both types so that if you wanted something other than Cherry stabs, you could get them. 

Here is the thread that discusses the problems that a GH'er had with imsto/hammer stabs on their Duck Viper: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65141.0

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #229 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 10:55:42 »
Also wondering this.

The difference between the two types of stabs seems to be price and quality.  I added both types so that if you wanted something other than Cherry stabs, you could get them. 

Here is the thread that discusses the problems that a GH'er had with imsto/hammer stabs on their Duck Viper: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65141.0

Here's a extension of that thread:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61227.msg1524694;topicseen#msg1524694
null

Offline swornxin

« Reply #230 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 13:53:14 »
Also wondering this.

Probably just going to go with the Cherrys then.

My other questions is (and I hope this doesn't come off as me being a jerk) will this save me money on shipping if we're splitting on shipping to Toronto, and then I pay shipping to my house after that?  We all know Canada Post has the most insane pricing in the world afterall.

EDIT:  Answered my own question.  I'm in for this.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 December 2014, 14:01:30 by swornxin »

FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline Digitize

« Reply #231 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 16:16:45 »
This is like everything I always want in a keyboard. But I'm so new to mechanical keyboards with no experience on soldering and stuff.  :(

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #232 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 17:46:31 »

This is like everything I always want in a keyboard. But I'm so new to mechanical keyboards with no experience on soldering and stuff.  :(

The hard part is done for you, the SMDs. Soldering switches and LEDs is easier than you think. 

Offline blackkat

« Reply #233 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 19:45:04 »

The hard part is done for you, the SMDs. Soldering switches and LEDs is easier than you think.

It is really easy.  Here is someone learning how to solder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lCGo_bYqeE

While the soldering involved with this kit is simple, the cost of the original materials is high, so I'd suggest a simple kit to start with to "get your feet wet," something like this kit: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11202

Still plenty of time to learn before the parts for this board arrive  :thumb:

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #234 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 20:07:51 »

I have never really soldered anything prior to building my Duck Viper from the last GB. It is actually quite easy and I only had to desolder once because I placed it on the wrong slot for the keyboard layout. All you really need to solder are the LEDs as well as the switches and you are 100% good to go.

Offline Digitize

« Reply #235 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 01:05:58 »

That is good to know because as of right now now I don't even know what a SMDs is but I am going to google and find out.  :D

I have never really soldered anything prior to building my Duck Viper from the last GB. It is actually quite easy and I only had to desolder once because I placed it on the wrong slot for the keyboard layout. All you really need to solder are the LEDs as well as the switches and you are 100% good to go.

Thanks thanks.

It is really easy.  Here is someone learning how to solder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lCGo_bYqeE

While the soldering involved with this kit is simple, the cost of the original materials is high, so I'd suggest a simple kit to start with to "get your feet wet," something like this kit: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11202

Still plenty of time to learn before the parts for this board arrive  :thumb:

Thanks for the links. I will definitely look into them further and maybe even get that starter kit to "get my feet wet"  :thumb:

Offline doublin

« Reply #236 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 04:25:57 »
Am I too late to join the GB? I would love to join the GB if it's still open.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #237 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 05:14:49 »
there you go... another wonderful GB that I missed... there's too much noise in GH, darn!

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #238 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 05:28:54 »
there you go... another wonderful GB that I missed... there's too much noise in GH, darn!

It's time to subscribe to the Currently Running Group Buys and Vendor Group Buys thread. :thumb:

Offline elton5354

« Reply #239 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 14:17:18 »
I can take a few more orders.  If you want one, just fill in the form for now.  When I get confirmation that I can take a few more orders, I'll send an invoice.  (I got your order digitize and doublin)

Offline Digitize

« Reply #240 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 17:07:31 »
I can take a few more orders.  If you want one, just fill in the form for now.  When I get confirmation that I can take a few more orders, I'll send an invoice.  (I got your order digitize and doublin)

Thanks. I understand if you can't take the late orders. With patience I will find the keyboard that is right for me in the future.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #241 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 19:31:17 »

Thanks. I understand if you can't take the late orders. With patience I will find the keyboard that is right for me in the future.

Actually I can take up to 5 more orders. If you still want it, I'll invoice you tonight.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #242 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 19:36:32 »

Actually I can take up to 5 more orders. If you still want it, I'll invoice you tonight.
Are all colors available?

Offline elton5354

« Reply #243 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 19:52:21 »

Yes

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #244 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 20:00:27 »

Yes
What is the deadline for those orders?

Offline frostylove

« Reply #245 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 20:42:13 »
Hi Elton,

Can I have a custom word "Matcha" in the metal sticker of the keyboard?
Suhr Custom Standard Carve Top
Manson DL-1 Matt Bellamy Signature
Marshall JVM410H + 1960A
Lovepedal Kanji Enternity

Offline Digitize

« Reply #246 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 23:37:38 »

Sweet!! I'll take. 

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #247 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 02:41:54 »
Am I right in saying to shipping to Italy would be $48?

Offline doublin

« Reply #248 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 23:28:29 »
Any updates? I still haven't received an invoice for some reason.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #249 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 23:31:53 »
Yeah, sorry I didn't have time. Been busy over the holidays. I'll do it now..

Shipping to Italy has been a problem since they need to declare full value on the item for tax purpose.  Not sure why it's only for Italy, so you'd have to pay VAT..

Frostylove: I've already have that down on my spreadsheet from your PM ;)