Author Topic: [GB] Octagon 75% Kustom Keyboard  (Read 219383 times)

Offline Data

Re: [GB] Octagon 75% Kustom Keyboard
« Reply #750 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 07:32:25 »
Not sure.  Good question.  Orion V1 was before my time here.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #751 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 09:14:52 »
the obvious guess would be that he found some way to lower costs, either from experience or long term deals with other partners

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #752 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 11:24:22 »
the obvious guess would be that he found some way to lower costs, either from experience or long term deals with other partners

Whatever shop he's dealing with I hope he keeps. The quality and anodizing of the Orion v2 is superb. So good in fact that I've been debating joining the Octagon v2 sale even though I'm not a fan of 75% layouts.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline E3E

« Reply #753 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 11:39:46 »

Whatever shop he's dealing with I hope he keeps. The quality and anodizing of the Orion v2 is superb. So good in fact that I've been debating joining the Octagon v2 sale even though I'm not a fan of 75% layouts.

Duck's cases really are practically the gold standard for full-aluminum custom cases these days. Hell, even the angled acrylic bottom was super impressive!

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #754 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 14:17:21 »
Are you guys using the 7x spacebar layout?  I tried it and I thought I would be in heaven but there is hangup:  you have to move your left thumb so much to reach the alt since it has been shifted to the left, has any of you guys got used to this or is there an alternative solution?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #755 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 15:04:14 »
Are you guys using the 7x spacebar layout?  I tried it and I thought I would be in heaven but there is hangup:  you have to move your left thumb so much to reach the alt since it has been shifted to the left, has any of you guys got used to this or is there an alternative solution?

My two most recent boards I have opted for the 7u spacebar. When I am typing and using both hands I tend to press the spacebar with my right thumb, however when it comes to video games I press the spacebar with my left thumb but have it on the left-most side of the spacebar directly next to the alt. Whether it's typing or video games I haven't really found much difficulty in reaching the alt, it just was different to what I was use to and took a little time to get the hang of it. Now that I got use to it I do love the 7u spacebar now. The only solution to the problem, that I could think of, would be opting for the 6.25u spacebar instead.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling

Offline joostflux

• Cars, computers, anime, and keyboards
« Reply #757 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 22:45:36 »

Endgame? There is no endgame.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #758 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 09:58:13 »
I'm trying to assign an arrow button on a key and I can't seem to do it since there is a question mark on the buttons in the keymapper, anyone know the solution?

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #759 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 10:46:17 »
I'm trying to assign an arrow button on a key and I can't seem to do it since there is a question mark on the buttons in the keymapper, anyone know the solution?

Ah yes,  you need to change a language seeing. Check the Lightsaver post.  I am on my phone now but can find you the details if you don't find them.

Offline E3E

« Reply #760 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 10:47:55 »

If you're using Windows, then using App Locale to change language settings to Korean would solve the problem. Otherwise, just try and find a way to set the program's language to Korean.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #761 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 11:50:53 »

If you're using Windows, then using App Locale to change language settings to Korean would solve the problem. Otherwise, just try and find a way to set the program's language to Korean.

Thx, I got it to work.  For those interested I used this https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,17510.0.html

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #762 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 19:36:18 »
I've been playing around with the 02 KeyMapper. I was able to change the layout but couldn't get the arrow keys to assign them, it keeps going back to "EMPTY"

So I flashed it back to the default by going to File -> New - > 02D Octagon Custom v1.x then saving it as a new hex file

After I flashed it the keyboard is now 'stuck' in DFU mode. When I unplug and plug it again without hitting the DFU key it still goes to DFU mode

When I flashed it manually in command prompt still no luck and keept getting this:

Code: [Select]
D:\Keyboard programming\DFU\dfu-prog-usb-1.2.2>dfu-programmer atmega32u4 flash main.hex
Checking memory from 0x0 to 0x6FFF...  Empty.
0%                            100%  Programming 0x7000 bytes...
[ X  ERROR
Memory write error, use debug for more info.

Am I in big trouble here?

EDIT: Fixed it, I did an erase --force

Code: [Select]
D:\Keyboard programming\DFU\dfu-prog-usb-1.2.2>dfu-programmer atmega32u4 erase --force
Erasing flash...  Success
Checking memory from 0x0 to 0x6FFF...  Empty.

Does anyone know how to get arrows keys to work? It only works when I use the default layout that 02D Keymapper has. When I use my own layout the "?" on the arrow keys keeps going back to "EMPTY" after flashing.

I have the same problem have tried erase force but the keyboard just doesn't work any more, maybe stuck in flash mode? The atmel usb driver at least alway appears when i connect the keyboard. I always get the memory write error when flashing. How do I fix this? :S

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #763 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 19:38:43 »
Keep trying the erase force, it should work. It might also be a good idea to restart computer or power cycle completely.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #764 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 07:06:34 »
Keep trying the erase force, it should work. It might also be a good idea to restart computer or power cycle completely.

I managed to flash it but now i get this error:

"The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."
And the device is named "unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed)" in device manager.

It also doesn't work with other computers. The keyboard worked yesterday, this happened while I was reflashing it to change the keymapping. Is the usb connector on the board broken or is there anything i can do to fix this?

EDIT: the connector on the board is a bit loose, maybe I need to resolder it? Mind you that flashing the board does work... sometimes (I did it many times and sometimes it worked and sometimes I get the memory write error, don't know what I did different the other times. The atmel driver is installed and appears when I connect the board, so I was indeed stuck in DFU mode, but now I got out of it and get this USB malfunctioned error.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 July 2017, 07:16:23 by asgeirtj »

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #765 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 07:22:54 »
If its loose then it could be possible that its the connector.

Also the atmel drivers I used were from this link http://www.adamfalwell.com/projects/octagon/firmware-setup.html

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #766 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 10:48:11 »

Also the atmel drivers I used were from this link http://www.adamfalwell.com/projects/octagon/firmware-setup.html

Seems to be the connector, the keyboard won't connect to any device now. I've tried resolder the connector, it is not loose anymore, but it doesn't work. Do I need to buy a new receptor? Where would a buy the correct receptor for this board?

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #767 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 10:52:57 »

Seems to be the connector, the keyboard won't connect to any device now. I've tried resolder the connector, it is not loose anymore, but it doesn't work. Do I need to buy a new receptor? Where would a buy the correct receptor for this board?

There should be a bunch on eBay https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=female+micro+usb+connector&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xfemale+mini+usb+connector.TRS0&_nkw=female+mini+usb+connector&_sacat=0

Just pick a high rated seller

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #768 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 11:36:01 »
I think the problem is that one/some of the pins which connect to the pcb got desoldered when the receptor got loose, the thing is the pins are so small I can't get to the with my soldering iron, any trick I can use to reach them?

edit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-Conector-mini-USB-SMD-PCB-hembra-female-connector-stecker-connecteur-/152494873949?hash=item2381671d5d:g:8qoAAOSwt0FZBJyh

seems like there should be 5 pins but I only see 3, maybe the 2 are recessed inbetween the others? in any case I can't reach them with my chiseled iron :/

here is a pic, it's a mess I know lol http://i.imgur.com/D8DgWGR.jpg
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 July 2017, 11:50:04 by asgeirtj »

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #769 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 19:08:39 »
I think the problem is that one/some of the pins which connect to the pcb got desoldered when the receptor got loose, the thing is the pins are so small I can't get to the with my soldering iron, any trick I can use to reach them?

edit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-Conector-mini-USB-SMD-PCB-hembra-female-connector-stecker-connecteur-/152494873949?hash=item2381671d5d:g:8qoAAOSwt0FZBJyh

seems like there should be 5 pins but I only see 3, maybe the 2 are recessed inbetween the others? in any case I can't reach them with my chiseled iron :/

yeah i highly recommend to clean that out too

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #770 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 08:33:17 »

Is that a V1 PCB?

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #771 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 18:52:37 »

Is that a V1 PCB?

Yeah

I've ordered replacement usb receptors and a fine cone top for my weller to solder it with, how would I go about cleaning this though?

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #772 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 22:04:55 »
Would anyone happen to have the switch plate file for the Octagon V2 they can share?  :)

Edit: Wrong thread! Sorry about that!

Offline DraKenZ

« Reply #773 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 05:14:06 »
Hi. I just got the Octagon V2. I am currently using QMK firmware. Is there anyway to make the media keys and volume adjust keys work on windows for this keyboard?

Thank you in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 June 2020, 05:16:46 by DraKenZ »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #774 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 06:34:56 »
Hi. I just got the Octagon V2. I am currently using QMK firmware. Is there anyway to make the media keys and volume adjust keys work on windows for this keyboard?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Have you got EXTRAKEY_ENABLE = yes in your Makefile?  There are also different keycodes for MAC and Windows, are you using the right ones?  Lastly, google music extension in chrome has been known to break media keys so if you have that try disabling it.

If you you need more help this question would be better asked in a new thread in Making Stuff Together! as it's about QMK not specific to the Octagon and more people will see it there :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline DraKenZ

« Reply #775 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 20:38:07 »
Thank you very much for your help. Appreciated.