Author Topic: [GB] R3 Purple Zealio Switches (100% complete)  (Read 170673 times)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: [GB] R3 Purple Zealio Switches (100% complete)
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 12:45:44 »
I just started getting some repeated presses last night. Not sure what the change is. I heard this has been addressed, yes? Going for next round with heavier weights.
Odd, because it's my space bar and a couple of other letters (I remember "I" was repeating), but my space bar is a tactile gray, so not sure what's going on there.

I have the r1 Zealios and have been using my board since February.

Offline Pieminister

« Reply #251 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 14:50:04 »
What kind of solder do you guys use for installing switches?

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #252 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 16:01:49 »
60/40, 63/37 or closest.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #253 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 12:45:03 »
I just started getting some repeated presses last night. Not sure what the change is. I heard this has been addressed, yes? Going for next round with heavier weights.
Odd, because it's my space bar and a couple of other letters (I remember "I" was repeating), but my space bar is a tactile gray, so not sure what's going on there.

romevi PM'd me later that day and confirmed that the issue was his old USB hub.

So, has the chatter issue that affected some of R1 been completely fixed? Reason I'm asking is I've got a sneaking feeling some of my switches are chattering, but it's been bloody hard to test as I can literally write for hours before it happens, but sometimes I get two 'a's or a double space when  it feels like I shouldn't have. I'm not 100% sure though, since it happens so rarely and I'm not all that precise of a typist anyhow.

I've been testing using the Elitekeyboard Switch Hitter tool, but it's pretty weird. Having the chatter threshold between 8 and 30 ms, it takes literally thousands of key presses before I get a possible chatter detection (my fingers hurt atm from spamming single keys lol). However, if I press my palms over big parts of the keyboard and press repeatedly, I get way more detections (spread over many keys, which I can't reproduce later most of the time, and I also get these sorts of detections on my trusty Topre board, which I understand don't suffer from chattering issues at all, albeit to a lesser degree). I've been trying two Phantom firmware versions, which are all 6KRO.

This was my first time soldering, and I used a cheapo, non-adjustable Ersa 230V/30W iron with a temp of 380C. I'm sure I didn't do a very good job, but I thought I was pretty quick on the switches near the end, and the ones I'm most suspicious of (A and space) are among the cleanest jobs I did, probably only spending 3-5 sec on them. In comparison I spent a ton of time on the Caps switch (easily 50-100 times more time in contact with iron than the other switches) with some sloppy desoldering, and that one has no chatter at all. I can provide some pictures if necessary.

I assume if the Zealio chatter issue is a thing of the past, then Strict's fix doesn't apply to my situation. Any idea what my next step should be?

Temp seems quite a bit high, but will depend on what kind of solder you're using. With leaded 63/37 Kester 44, I solder at 650F/343C. Any regular mechanical switch can show up a bounce on switch hitter if spammed hard enough. Make sure your kb isn't plugged into a hub, and try again. In the event that you do encounter issues still, strict's fix still applies. 

What kind of solder do you guys use for installing switches?

63/37 Kester 44 in 0.02" diameter. Some go for 0.031".
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #254 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 12:57:28 »

romevi PM'd me later that day and confirmed that the issue was his old USB hub.

Yeah, I forgot to follow up here!

Turns out I was an idiot and didn't realize I was using a cable plugged into a USB hub, and didn't have the external power plugged into the hub. So that's why it was going wonky. I was moving cables around that night and completely overlooked which I plugged into my board, not to mention I misplaced the power source for the hub.
I plugged it into the computer and all was solved!

Offline gaunt

« Reply #255 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 14:09:32 »
Temp seems quite a bit high, but will depend on what kind of solder you're using. With leaded 63/37 Kester 44, I solder at 650F/343C. Any regular mechanical switch can show up a bounce on switch hitter if spammed hard enough. Make sure your kb isn't plugged into a hub, and try again. In the event that you do encounter issues still, strict's fix still applies.

Thank you very much, I just had a 'duh' moment - I've been using an USB extension cord that is extremely long as it was the only one I had laying around the house for my new build. Fingers crossed that it's the cause.

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
« Reply #256 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 05:42:18 »
Is there another Zealios GB planned? Right now everything is sold out..

R4 when?  ;D
I like keyboards

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #257 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 06:11:43 »
R4 when?  ;D

Zeal said something about Soon™.
Which is very plausible because it allows him to combine the order for the new products and other switches. Might take a little longer is he tries to fix the wobble first.

Offline wongie

« Reply #258 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 08:01:07 »
Is there another Zealios GB planned? Right now everything is sold out..

R4 when?  ;D

Zeal mentioned in r/mech only a week ago that r4 would hit in August, so if he's still on schedule it should be very soon now... Best get your wallet ready.

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
« Reply #259 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 09:04:14 »
Zeal mentioned in r/mech only a week ago that r4 would hit in August, so if he's still on schedule it should be very soon now... Best get your wallet ready.

Since R3 followed R2 *very* closely, I feared there wouldn't be a R4 for a while.. Great news! I have boards in need of some purple goodness.
I like keyboards

Offline yookwh

« Reply #260 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 00:40:59 »
delete
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 December 2016, 00:54:05 by yookwh »