Author Topic: [GB] Massdrop x Zambumon GMK Nautilus Custom Keycap Set  (Read 195040 times)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Re: [IC] GMK Nautilus
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 11:12:14 »
The R2 1.25u Delete cap should actually be Backspace, shouldn't it?

Also, there is a ISO kit but no Alt Gr.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 21:28:02 »
So gorgeous. I wanna explore too. Count me in.

Offline Locnguyen1507

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 00:15:23 »
Does this set suitable with my mech (TADA68) from Originativeco?.... Mine is 68% layout.... and seems to be the same layout with the Whitefox  vanilla layout....

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 05:28:07 »
1.25 Cmd please, be the first, make history :)

Even 1x would be enough, I can buy/trade for additional ones
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline poolside

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 16:48:47 »
Great colors :thumb:

Nautilus reminds me of some Lego aquanauts sets. I like the contrast to the cyan and the little bit of warmth the yellow provides.

1.25 Cmd please, be the first, make history :)

I second that.

May I also suggest, for all the CapsLock/Control swappers out there, the addition of the 1.25u R4 CapsLock to complement that 1.75 R3 Control?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 17:40:59 »
  • Despite being a MacOS user myself, Nautilus doesn't have a CMD keycap for the same reason it doesn't have a Windows 10 (or any previous Windows) icon. Code serves as substitute of the OS keycap for everyone (OS X, Linux, and Windows).
  • As for the Alt Gr, it could be possible to change one of the 1.25U and one of the 1.5U Alt modifiers  for Alt Gr.
  • Speaking of the R2 1.5U Delete. I'd like to keep it that way, since it is closer to the HHKB layout.
  • Finally, and as I said in an earlier post. A second pair of Ctrl and Alt will be added to the Explorer kit.

Expect minor changes.

Offline tobsn

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 17:47:27 »
  • Despite being a MacOS user myself, Nautilus doesn't have a CMD keycap for the same reason it doesn't have a Windows 10 (or any previous Windows) icon. Code serves as substitute of the OS keycap for everyone (OS X, Linux, and Windows).
  • As for the Alt Gr, it could be possible to change one of the 1.25U and one of the 1.5U Alt modifiers  for Alt Gr.
  • Speaking of the R2 1.5U Delete. I'd like to keep it that way, since it is closer to the HHKB layout.
  • Finally, and as I said in an earlier post. A second pair of Ctrl and Alt will be added to the Explorer kit.

Expect minor changes.

so no blank modifiers and no nordic?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 17:52:13 »
I've designed myself a keyset before, and have been actively following all of the group buys for the last couple years. I cannot justify the addition of a Nordic/German support as they knowing that it won't reach MoQ with GMK as those kits barely hit the 50 units in SA or doubleshot DSA.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 October 2016, 18:01:38 by Zambumon »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 18:03:32 »

Expect minor changes.

Code theoretically is a substitute for everyone, but practically it's not a substitute for me, call me autistic, but Code+C=Command just messes me up - also, on a non-standard level, I actually have a modifier named "Code", so It's not that I don't want Code, but it doesn't work as Cmd/Win

I've seen many Windows users share similar views, some don't like using Code either

Will the set sell 1000 sets still? Yes.

But just 1 additional keycap makes this 100% perfect for me, 1 missing and it's at 75% :(

Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline tobsn

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 20:49:17 »
I've designed myself a keyset before, and have been actively following all of the group buys for the last couple years. I cannot justify the addition of a Nordic/German support as they knowing that it won't reach MoQ with GMK as those kits barely hit the 50 units in SA or doubleshot DSA.

alright then just do blank modifiers... 1.25/1.5/1.75/2/2.25/2.5/2.75... I'll take 2 or 3 of those and I'd be super happy... and a ton of other people as well ;)

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 22:07:19 »
alright then just do blank modifiers... 1.25/1.5/1.75/2/2.25/2.5/2.75... I'll take 2 or 3 of those and I'd be super happy... and a ton of other people as well ;)

Blank mods seem to be struggling pulling numbers as well with SA/DSA child kits - some of these less sought after keys are so hectic to get in with GMK as their MOQ is so high. "a ton of other people" is so subjective, if you read massdrop and even ICs here every time a drop happens or a new set pops up like half the comments (on MD at least) are "where's ISO" and "wow, no ISO, I'm done" then when something like Godspeed pops up ISO UK sells 30 kits and NORDE sells 50 (blanks sold like 60 for reference).

Of course some people would be happy if these kits were to be added to every single set/buy but one cannot fault designers for neglecting them either due to them being supremely unsuccessful and/or just getting in the way of MOQ being hit if they're included. It does suck but I'm glad I made the swap to ANSI a few years ago, reprogrammable keyboards and being able to swap language in windows is more than enough, assuming that'd be the case for anyone else too unless they need to look at their caps while typing and/or get OCD from typing on the wrong legends.

Offline pomk

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 04:38:36 »
Ok. Then please consider polling for uk vs norde for the main kit. There have been many uk gmk buys during this year, but no nordic ones. To balance the difference in the base kits price, you could move the norde keys to the adapter kit along with the iso enter. Also the international kit reached 133 sold in the recent Lightcycle GB.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 October 2016, 05:09:36 by pomk »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 05:05:51 »
1.25 blanks solve my issue too, but better to have a 1.25 Cmd for once

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 05:07:10 »
+1 for the yellow spacebars. I think it'll make the set pop out more.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 05:19:53 »

I have nothing against extra keycaps, but, the set has a Mysterious vibe, that comes from the Darkness, a yellow spacebar could make GMK Nautilus the GMK Yellow Submarine, not my cup of tea, but definitely very interesting :)

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 05:41:50 »

I have nothing against extra keycaps, but, the set has a Mysterious vibe, that comes from the Darkness, a yellow spacebar could make GMK Nautilus the GMK Yellow Submarine, not my cup of tea, but definitely very interesting :)

If it was a smaller layout I would say it looks like a yellow submarine. I'm thinking more about the bigger picture :)

Offline Fetty AWP

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 05:55:32 »
Would also prefer the 1.25u Delete to be changed to Backspace since it would be kind of weird to have two backspace keys, on say a 75%, where it would both be doing the complete opposite functions to each other. It's your call though. Love the colors of this set.  :thumb:

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 06:55:03 »
Ok. Then please consider polling for uk vs norde for the main kit. There have been many uk gmk buys during this year, but no nordic ones. To balance the difference in the base kits price, you could move the norde keys to the adapter kit along with the iso enter. Also the international kit reached 133 sold in the recent Lightcycle GB.

I would suggest putting the nordic and UK ISO together.  The UK set only needs a few extra keys and I think this would help sales.

Offline pomk

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 07:16:01 »

I would suggest putting the nordic and UK ISO together.  The UK set only needs a few extra keys and I think this would help sales.
As I said in my post, no separate kit please. Just include them in the base set or the addon set you already have in place, otherwise they wont tip anyway and there is no point. As it seems that you are willing to consider only one ISO language kit (UK), I would just like that you consider also other options. The market for GMK UK is already being filled with other sets, while the demand for other languages is definitely there.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 07:19:21 »

As I said in my post, no separate kit please. Just include them in the base set or the addon set you already have in place, otherwise they wont tip anyway and there is no point. As it seems that you are willing to consider only one ISO language kit (UK), I would just like that you consider also other options. The market for GMK UK is already being filled with other sets, while the demand for other languages is definitely there.

Wow

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 09:15:58 »
Also the international kit reached 133 sold in the recent Lightcycle GB.

That is incorrect, the "international kit" you speak of is actually a compatibility kit that includes Tsangan spacebars, 1.5 mods and a myriad of other adapter keys that are used in many non-standard layouts that have absolutely nothing to do with international boards. Let's say half those 133 kits were purchased with the intent of being used on UK/NORDE boards, which I know is already being generous - that's 67 rounded up, how many orders do you expect Nautilus or any other good GMK set to potentially pull if it releases on Massdrop some time next year? Let's speculate 1500 which I believe is very realistic, if a theoretical international kit were to sell 67 kits that'd be 4.5% of all orders placed.

Godspeed is the easiest comparison to draw right now but there are other older examples that tell the same tale (Jukebox, the original Hyperfuse, GMK carbon, etc.) - out of 3700 orders placed UK plus Norde (2 diff kits) sold like 80 kits. Blank ergodox sold more than both of them individually (bare in mind there was also a regular Ergodox kit) and UK was literally the one that sold the least out of every single kit. Together they accomplished exactly 2.3% of the buy. Why would you push people to buy like 30 keys to include ISO/Norde in a base set if it caters to such a minuscule audience, that's completely irrational both from a resource as well as monetary point of view. Including it in the addons would literally double the amount of keys which again is far from sustainable in my opinion especially with GMK.

As you said yourself, if they're sold separately they won't tip so why do you wanna shove them onto the other kits and force them upon other people? As I've said just make the swap to ANSI already and put all that behind you, my wife is Finnish as well and we both just use ANSI with reprogrammable keyboards and/or Portuguese/Finnish windows language preferences, it's not like we look at legends. I understand many will probably not want to do that but then you have to deal with it and accept the fact that this is a business and like any other sale in any other area if the numbers are not there then it's not happening. Talk to Mito, T0mb3ry, Livingspeedbump or anyone else and I'm pretty sure they'll all say the same Zambumon's already stated here.

Offline pomk

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 10:29:29 »
Also the international kit reached 133 sold in the recent Lightcycle GB.

That is incorrect, the "international kit" you speak of is actually a compatibility kit that includes Tsangan spacebars, 1.5 mods and a myriad of other adapter keys that are used in many non-standard layouts that have absolutely nothing to do with international boards. Let's say half those 133 kits were purchased with the intent of being used on UK/NORDE boards, which I know is already being generous - that's 67 rounded up, how many orders do you expect Nautilus or any other good GMK set to potentially pull if it releases on Massdrop some time next year? Let's speculate 1500 which I believe is very realistic, if a theoretical international kit were to sell 67 kits that'd be 4.5% of all orders placed.

Godspeed is the easiest comparison to draw right now but there are other older examples that tell the same tale (Jukebox, the original Hyperfuse, GMK carbon, etc.) - out of 3700 orders placed UK plus Norde (2 diff kits) sold like 80 kits. Blank ergodox sold more than both of them individually (bare in mind there was also a regular Ergodox kit) and UK was literally the one that sold the least out of every single kit. Together they accomplished exactly 2.3% of the buy. Why would you push people to buy like 30 keys to include ISO/Norde in a base set if it caters to such a minuscule audience, that's completely irrational both from a resource as well as monetary point of view. Including it in the addons would literally double the amount of keys which again is far from sustainable in my opinion especially with GMK.

As you said yourself, if they're sold separately they won't tip so why do you wanna shove them onto the other kits and force them upon other people? As I've said just make the swap to ANSI already and put all that behind you, my wife is Finnish as well and we both just use ANSI with reprogrammable keyboards and/or Portuguese/Finnish windows language preferences, it's not like we look at legends. I understand many will probably not want to do that but then you have to deal with it and accept the fact that this is a business and like any other sale in any other area if the numbers are not there then it's not happening. Talk to Mito, T0mb3ry, Livingspeedbump or anyone else and I'm pretty sure they'll all say the same Zambumon's already stated here.
You are correct in all of the points you make, though by the same reasoning I don't see the point of adding any ISO support in the first place. Seeing how Zambumon is already adding ISO UK in the base set, against your logic, I only asked him to entertain the thought of switching to some other language as UK has been done to death already.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 10:32:48 »
What I understood is: Add Norde, put it into Base, otherwise It won't reach MoQ, let everyone receive Norde

I mean, it's not like you are requesting an additional set, which would make sense, you are explicitly requesting it to be added to the base set

My constructive suggestion: Support GMK Carbon's International now, if that set succeeds, you might request the exact same keycaps to be added as an extras pack - this makes sense

Offline pomk

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 10:36:09 »
What I understood is: Add Norde, put it into Base, otherwise It won't reach MoQ, let everyone receive Norde

I mean, it's not like you are requesting an additional set, which would make sense, you are explicitly requesting it to be added to the base set

My constructive suggestion: Support GMK Carbon's International now, if that set succeeds, you might request the exact same keycaps to be added as an extras pack - this makes sense
If only Carbon international would be sold with the necessary keys to populate a keyboard.  :(  It's hard to imagine that there would be 150 sets available on the aftermarket at a reasonable price, which is why I think that carbon international is not likely to succeed.

edit: sorry for my continued rambling, but in order to have a chance for an international GMK set to stand on it's own, the price needs to be brought down. One idea of how this could be achieved is to split the ANSI specific keys from the base set as follows:
151090-0
I know that most of the GB leaders are very ANSI oriented and that ISO is sort of an afterthought, for which I'm grateful, but the fact of the matter is that right now with every set 'let everyone receive ANSI' is the baseline and us international people play a high premium for getting anything at all. This is especially frustrating with GMK buys and their high MOQ disallowing the chance of having one, with the correct legends, completely.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 October 2016, 10:59:39 by pomk »

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 14:18:00 »

If only Carbon international would be sold with the necessary keys to populate a keyboard.  :(  It's hard to imagine that there would be 150 sets available on the aftermarket at a reasonable price, which is why I think that carbon international is not likely to succeed.

I guess the biggest question is would massdrop run it again?  If 100 people buy the ISO kit and then vote for MD to run the orignal again it might work.  But some sets seem to get 1000's of votes and not get redone.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 18:07:48 »
MassDrop won't rerun a set until work is put in by someone outside MassDrop to have a set run.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 09:07:45 »
Small update

As T0mb3ry suggested, I've decided to add a novelty kit and I'm already working on it. It will be probably finished by Sunday  :thumb:

Offline thad

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 09:10:21 »
I can't wait to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 09:21:23 »
mmmhmmmmmm

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 09:32:24 »

That is why HAD kits make a lot of sense, it was the only way for German fellows to adapt their HAD sets to contemporary layouts. Otherwise, their only option if to move to ANSI-US-Int to be able to use any of the recent sets offered in GBs; but, that may be a sub-par solution for typing in German.

Offline XTgg

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 10:05:10 »
Planck kit need 2 space bar

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 11:01:20 »

Since when are there Plancks with 2 spacebars? AFAIK it's either 2u or 2x1u

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 12:47:48 »

Planck kit already has a 2u key that I believe is intended to be the spacebar. I don't think it's currently possible to make those caps convex like the traditional long spacebars though -- at least, I don't recall ever seeing it before.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 13:19:16 »

Some people put two 2u on their split Plancks, and IIRC the Diverge TM from UniKeyboard requires two 2u.

Offline Gatix

• #!/bin/sh
  • console.log
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 13:28:11 »
Is there a possibility for Ergodox kits?

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 14:13:03 »
Nice! Can't wait to see.

Offline rotciveel

• Fugu Curator Extraordinaire
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 15:25:53 »
I shouldn't but I probably will. I like full base kits

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 18:22:17 »
Is there a possibility for Ergodox kits?

Yes, by extending the Planck kit.

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 30 October 2016, 05:49:34 »
count me in for this!

Offline tmk1207

• Yêu Màu Tím
    • Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club <3
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 30 October 2016, 05:50:35 »
i'm in.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 30 October 2016, 20:38:46 »
The set itself is quite pleasing to the eye, but for me this would be a killer set to mix-n-match with other sets as well. That would make this an easy buy for me. :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 02:58:29 »
Really digging this set. 20,000 leagues under the sea was one of my favorite movies as a kid. Can't wait for this to drop! :)
AKA: /u/io2red on /r/mk
, Ducky YotM, Anne Pro, & Plum84 RGB (35g) | Waiting on: KBD75, & Keycaps.
Wanted:
More
Unknown :).

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 10:21:39 »
I'd have some use for that nice yellow ISO Enter.

Offline diiiP

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 18 November 2016, 04:53:57 »
Regarding the discusion about an ISO Norde / Germany set:
Wodan did a great job breaking down the Key requirements for an advanced ISO-International Kit.
For details you could check his thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85609.0

But the gist of it:

35 Keys

Meanwhile I just keep on praying that one day I will get an GMK Set that I can use at work :)

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 18 November 2016, 09:46:04 »
Regarding the discusion about an ISO Norde / Germany set:
Wodan did a great job breaking down the Key requirements for an advanced ISO-International Kit.
For details you could check his thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85609.0

But the gist of it:
Show Image

35 Keys

Meanwhile I just keep on praying that one day I will get an GMK Set that I can use at work :)

yes, this extra kit please! It's as close as I'll get to make it CH-DE compatible... pretty please :) (at least put it up there as an option and let Massdrop orders decide if it reaches MoQ... if anywhere it'll reach it on MD
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 November 2016, 09:49:31 by rioc »

Offline SpareWalrus

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 21:42:35 »
Any chance we could see support for the MiniVan. Absolutely love these colors.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline Belgaer

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 17:13:07 »
Absolutely wonderful design, can't wait to get this when it comes out (And in ISO too! <3 )

The only problem I have with it is the divide sign on the numpad, really should be a slash. The people who actually go for fullsize keyboards over TKL will appreciate this, it's a much more natural and neutral choice for the divide key. The divide sign there (obelus) is only really used in schools when teaching how to divide numbers.

All the best with the project!
Leopold FC980M ISO MX Brown

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 07:23:37 »
sorry since it's been mentioned a few times, but I must reassure my interest in an international kit (and the set in general ofc) :)

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 12:57:22 »
sorry since it's been mentioned a few times, but I must reassure my interest in an international kit (and the set in general ofc) :)

Carbon had issues with the international kit on MD recently, so I think that that will be rough.
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline pomk

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 13:24:23 »

Carbon had issues with the international kit on MD recently, so I think that that will be rough.
1. Carbon international succeeded, unlike ah so many ansi GMK sets before.
2. It had it unreasonably rough because base sets were not readily available at a reasonable price.