Author Topic: [GB] DSA LightCycle (again) - Shipping 100% complete  (Read 121138 times)

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
Re: [IC] DSA LightCycle (again)
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 12:59:00 »
Evangs, did you get any complaints in R1 about the double shot implementation?

From this thread:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87816.msg2374448#msg2374448

Quote:
My only experience with dsa alps was the lightcycle set that came with my minivan - and it was delicate as can be. I ripped a couple stems off just trying to remove a cap from the switch and from what I could tell, the doubleshot did not adhere like it should to both colors. Wouldn't be a problem with blanks though if i'm correct in diagnosing the problem but i'd definitely be weary of buying more sets especially if they were SP priced.
My V80 has some kinda costar type stabs but with out normal mounts. It definitely is a standards problem getting a mod set that works for everyone.

I got a couple complaints, but there were a lot of people who didn't complain. I have yet to get a set myself so I can't actually speak to it myself. A friend of mine got the alps MiniVan and he reported no issues, so I don't know if people were just new to alps tightness or if there is actually an issue.

It's a known issue that the stems of SP's ALPS caps fit very tightly in Matias switches, but the solution (shaving the corners of the stems), whilst a little tedious to perform, is perfectly viable. If this information is shared upfront so buyers know what they are getting into, I don't see a problem.

Offline Jubileus

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 20:04:02 »
Would it still be possible to add another spacebar kit? I really need the 7u spacebars, but not all the international keys. :(

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 21:19:17 »
Would it still be possible to add another spacebar kit? I really need the 7u spacebars, but not all the international keys. :(

I can't speak for Evangs, but but I bet it's too late. You might also look for someone that is getting that kit but doesn't need the spacebar. Unfortunately that isn't me or I'd be happy to help you out but I'm not getting anything but the base. Hopefully here is someone who can help, but you can increase your chances by asking in the DT and Reddit threads also.

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 22:25:53 »
In for ALPS  ;)
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 17:23:16 »
Evangs, can we get an update on the numbers if you get a chance please.

Offline zslane

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 12:42:48 »
So as a sort of dry run, I was able to transfer a Pok3r case to my KBP V60 mini, securing it with the two side screw holes and the bottom one under the spacebar. So assuming the Lambo case has these same screw holes, it should be perfect for this board. Now comes the long wait for the keycaps.  :p
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 March 2017, 13:09:20 by zslane »

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 14:35:19 »
All in for MX...thanks OP for running this (again)
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 15:40:06 »
So as a sort of dry run, I was able to transfer a Pok3r case to my KBP V60 mini, securing it with the two side screw holes and the bottom one under the spacebar. So assuming the Lambo case has these same screw holes, it should be perfect for this board. Now comes the long wait for the keycaps.  :p

I re-cased my V60 Matias this weekend too. Similar issues, though overall I'm happy with the result. I was able to use the far-right and far-left mounting holes, as well as the one just above the space bar. Took some adjusting but it does sit square and still now. I used some foam shelf liner, folded over a few times to pad out the space between the PCB and case, just used a craft knife to cut holes for the mounts and DIP switches fit through. You wouldn't know it's there now that it's all assembled, but I think it does help reduce echoing or pinging of the switches.

Speaking of DIP switches - because the PCB doesn't sit flat against the inside of the case and is instead 'suspended' by the mounts, all 6 DIP switches are accessible. They are slightly recessed but using a precision screwdriver or similar makes them easy to flick. I think with a low profile case you might find it difficult to access all of them. The Mini USB port at the rear lines up perfectly, no issues there.

Just thought I'd share my experience - we can definitely use regular alu cases for our V60s, I just think there might be a small amount of variation between different brands and designs.

The overall difference to the keyboard is excellent though, the new case alone weighs more than a stock V60, I think it's 1.35 Kg fully assembled now.
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline mustardgreens

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 09:18:46 »
I really hope the Alps is going to hit Moq.

Offline ac2531

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 09:27:22 »
Pretty good numbers today
Show Image

Sounds like it's off to a great start - I'm in for one of each kit in MX stem! Are you going to be doing periodic MOQ updates throughout the GB? I'm very interested to see what the compatibility kits do.
HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | HHKB Pro 1 | Realforce 87U (45g uniform) | WhiteFox (Gat Browns) | Anne Pro (Gat Reds) | WASD CODE (MX Clears)

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 11:54:47 »
Just helped with a plug on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/5xuofc/gb_lightcycle_keycap_set_posted_by_a_big_fan/

I know their mods may be a bit strict...hopes I don't get in twouble.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 12:44:35 »

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/5xuofc/gb_lightcycle_keycap_set_posted_by_a_big_fan/

thank you!

alps base is halfway, both compat kits need some love. Lets rally and get each kit to moq (50)

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 12:52:39 »

thank you!

Show Image

alps base is halfway, both compat kits need some love. Lets rally and get each kit to moq (50)

Yep, it got removed. Apparently I broke two rules which I had no idea about:

1. Someone else posted about this GB less than 48 hours ago

2. I posted my own GB (completely unrelated), and apparently I am not able to post another GB post if I already am posting for mine...sheesh. They are really strict over there...sorry evangs.

Offline zslane

« Reply #113 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 13:13:28 »
Given that content gets pushed out of sight in less than 24 hours over there, a 48 hour window seems twice as long as it needs to be.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 13:18:47 »
Given that content gets pushed out of sight in less than 24 hours over there, a 48 hour window seems twice as long as it needs to be.

tell me about it...

Offline zslane

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 13:24:34 »
I dropped a post in the Alps Appreciate thread just now. Maybe it'll find some traction with folks who (somehow) aren't yet aware this GB is back on and who recognize how cool this keycap set is.

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 01:32:53 »
only 5 alps for 6 days? I'm a bit nervous now.

Offline zslane

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 12:05:16 »
Alps is a teeny, tiny market. And most Alps fans only seem to want to use vintage keycaps that came from either an IBM clone or an AEK. Those of us interested in LightCycle DSA are a niche of a niche.

If the Alps kit doesn't reach MOQ, then I'm just going to say f**k it and sell my KBP V60 mini.

Offline arhetue

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 12:18:50 »
In for mx.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 12:55:19 »
Just a random thought here, but I wonder if clueboard or matias would have any interest in picking up 10 sets or so to help with MOQ...

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 13:10:37 »
Alps is a teeny, tiny market. And most Alps fans only seem to want to use vintage keycaps that came from either an IBM clone or an AEK. Those of us interested in LightCycle DSA are a niche of a niche.

If the Alps kit doesn't reach MOQ, then I'm just going to say f**k it and sell my KBP V60 mini.

damn, and what I'm gonna do with my hasu's TMK64? I don't want to undress my converted Datadesk!

Offline hebbler

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 14:00:57 »
Ordered MX Base + Compatibility, and a matching cable.  Hope the MX compatibility set meets MOQ, I need this on my 40%.

Offline eksuen

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 14:52:02 »

On top of that, not everyone is a fan of the DSA profile.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 15:25:30 »

On top of that, not everyone is a fan of the DSA profile.

I hope that's the main thing causing the low order count, it's always sad to see ALPS stuff fail, especially because this niche needs customisation options the most.
I've also got some ALPS stuff planned and I really hope that it won't die because of MOQ.

On another note I'll top off my bank account tomorrow, so I can join for a ALPS base kit  :thumb:

Offline mustardgreens

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 16:15:22 »
Should this be posted in the Group Buy forum? I know most posters here will check both IC and GB, but some lurkers might not check IC and could miss it.

Offline CampAsAChamp

• Absolutely Nasty
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 19:13:17 »
Ordered MX Base + Compatibility, and a matching cable.  Hope the MX compatibility set meets MOQ, I need this on my 40%.

What cable did you get? Been looking to get one to match this set and would love some ideas.

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 20:39:48 »

What cable did you get? Been looking to get one to match this set and would love some ideas.

this one, I guess

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 05:04:54 »
If Alps doesn't hit MOQ, can our orders be converted to MX? I still like the set regardless of the stem, just wanted to support Alps if possible.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: [GB] DSA LightCycle (again)
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 07:11:34 »
Moved from the IC sub-forum to the GB sub-forum.

GLWGB! :thumb:

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 07:27:28 »
Just bought an ALPS set, let's hope it hits MOQ.

Offline hebbler

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 09:35:20 »

this one, I guess
Yep, that's the one.

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 09:43:14 »
ALPS needs to happen! I incorrectly ordered MX, and have since been refunded and re-ordered ALPS!

cmmmooooooonnnnnnnn  :-[
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 11:48:13 »

I dropped a post in the Alps Appreciation thread just now. Maybe it'll find some traction with folks who (somehow) aren't yet aware this GB is back on and who recognize how cool this keycap set is.

I am in for an Alps set, but I don't think the other ~5 people that regularly post in the Appreciation Thread will too interested. I have an extra VE.A pcb I would like to do something with, but the Alps guys aren't really interested in flashy MX stuff.

I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline zslane

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 12:41:26 »
If each of us orders a second Alps kit, either as a backup for the first or to dress up the other Alps board in our lives, then we'd hit MOQ easily. Just sayin'...  :p

« Reply #134 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 13:07:42 »
If each of us orders a second Alps kit, either as a backup for the first or to dress up the other Alps board in our lives, then we'd hit MOQ easily. Just sayin'...  :p

thought about it, actually, already. let's see what numbers will show up next week.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 14:07:15 »
I'm not an ALPS person but I feel all your pain and hope we get the numbers for you. Now that this thread is moved to the GB forum and added to the currently active group buys we should be more visible and possible get you some more numbers. Those of you on DT and Reddit might want to post in those threads as well so they stay visible and don't forget to share on FB and Twitter.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 14:52:51 »
I will likely order the Alps base kit this weekend. This GB was reintroduced after I'd made a commitment not to make any more online purchases for a while, so I'll have to break my rule for this (M65-A and F77 both set me back quite a bit).

On top of this, my Matias V80's left arrow stopped working (no register followed by terrible, consistent chatter after reseating the cap), so I'm going to have to send it in for repair, which killed the mood for this set a little.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 15:51:46 »
I will likely order the Alps base kit this weekend. This GB was reintroduced after I'd made a commitment not to make any more online purchases for a while, so I'll have to break my rule for this (M65-A and F77 both set me back quite a bit).

On top of this, my Matias V80's left arrow stopped working (no register followed by terrible, consistent chatter after reseating the cap), so I'm going to have to send it in for repair, which killed the mood for this set a little.

I've had chatter on a few keys on my V60.  Just taking the switch apart and putting it back together fixed the issue for me.  I think it has something to do with lube on the contact or just a misaligned contact inside the switch.  A good re-seating is probably all it needs.  Word of caution, they're a ***** to get back together :)

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 17:36:08 »
Really hope the ALPS kit reaches MOQ! And since I use Colemak/HHKB layout, I'm hoping the ALPS compatibility kit somehow can be done. But is there any chance for those of us who really want the ALPS compatibility kit to buy it at a higher price even if it doesn't hit MOQ?

Offline Kavik

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 20:09:17 »

I've had chatter on a few keys on my V60.  Just taking the switch apart and putting it back together fixed the issue for me.  I think it has something to do with lube on the contact or just a misaligned contact inside the switch.  A good re-seating is probably all it needs.  Word of caution, they're a ***** to get back together :)

I just tried to take the switch apart, but it wasn't happening. I'm too afraid of breaking it, so I'm just going to use the warranty while I have it. I also noticed that the switch is looser than the other arrows, so it might not be soldered correctly (?). Probably an easy fix, but, if it's not, I'll void the warranty trying to fix it myself. The key works fine if I only push it half way down, so it's a bit like a double action key, ha.

Offline zslane

« Reply #140 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 20:47:40 »
You know, it seems to me that since the base kit only provides two 1.5u bottom row modifier keys, it is only suitable for the KBP V60 mini, which is the only Alps-based board I know of that uses all 1.25u bottom row modifiers, and then you still end up with a whole lotta unused keys...

I must surely be missing something...

Offline mustardgreens

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 08 March 2017, 22:43:36 »
You know, it seems to me that since the base kit only provides two 1.5u bottom row modifier keys, it is only suitable for the KBP V60 mini, which is the only Alps-based board I know of that uses all 1.25u bottom row modifiers, and then you still end up with a whole lotta unused keys...

I must surely be missing something...

Keep in mind this set has Cherry stabs, so original Alps boards might not work without putting on cherry-style stabs anyway. I think it's more geared toward new custom boards with salvaged Alps switches, like Alpine Winter was.

Offline zslane

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 00:46:46 »
You might be right. But the set doesn't cover a brand new Matias board either.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 10:20:14 »

That's a good point. The V80 has four 1.25u keys, but the actual Matias Tactile Pro has four 1.5u and two 1u keys on the bottom row. Are there any other modern commercial Alps/Matias brand boards out there?

Offline skimzor

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 11:09:29 »
Just submitted my order for an MX set.  Can't wait!

Offline zslane

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 13:17:05 »

That's a good point. The V80 has four 1.25u keys, but the actual Matias Tactile Pro has four 1.5u and two 1u keys on the bottom row. Are there any other modern commercial Alps/Matias brand boards out there?

None that I know of.

It's too bad KBParadise doesn't make a V100 with Matias switches.

Offline eksuen

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 14:09:31 »

The base set should fit the Clueboard without any issues.

Offline mustardgreens

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 14:39:54 »

The base set should fit the Clueboard without any issues.

Yup, and there's a guy on r/mk selling Alps VA68Ms; they'll fit too. Alps are more and more becoming an option for standard layouts.

Offline zslane

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 14:41:36 »
The problem is with support for full-size Alps boards.

The base kit comes with base keys, function row keys, navcluster keys, and numpad keys. You would think it was intended to fit a full-size board, except there is none out there being made today with Matias/Alps switches that make use of an all-1.25u bottom row. Consequently, there is an unfortunate disconnect between the composition of the Alps-based LightCycle DSA base kit and the format of full-size boards it is intended to accommodate.

I didn't really notice this until I started considering getting a second Alps kit to put on a new full-size board (i.e., a Matias Quiet Pro).

Offline eksuen

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 15:13:55 »
The problem is with support for full-size Alps boards.

The base kit comes with base keys, function row keys, navcluster keys, and numpad keys. You would think it was intended to fit a full-size board, except there is none out there being made today with Matias/Alps switches that make use of an all-1.25u bottom row. Consequently, there is an unfortunate disconnect between the composition of the Alps-based LightCycle DSA base kit and the format of full-size boards it is intended to accommodate.

I didn't really notice this until I started considering getting a second Alps kit to put on a new full-size board (i.e., a Matias Quiet Pro).

You can build yourself a Cluepad to make use of the numpad keys.

I suspect the kits were designed to simultaneously be accessible to newer Alps boards (e.g. V60 and V80 MTS verisons) and older Alps boards (e.g. AEK's and the like). But as always, you can't please everyone. If more 1.5u mods were included, someone who only wants this set to put on a V60 may cry foul at having to pay for all the extra keys. On the other hand, excluding them alienates people looking to use this set for a nonstandard layout. Where does one draw the line? In any case, the compatibility kit solves that issue, albeit at cost and a separate MOQ (which of course more people will complain about).
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 March 2017, 15:16:59 by eksuen »