Author Topic: [GB] DSA LightCycle (again) - Shipping 100% complete  (Read 121127 times)

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
Re: [GB] DSA LightCycle (again)
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 15:15:52 »
The problem is with support for full-size Alps boards.

The base kit comes with base keys, function row keys, navcluster keys, and numpad keys. You would think it was intended to fit a full-size board, except there is none out there being made today with Matias/Alps switches that make use of an all-1.25u bottom row. Consequently, there is an unfortunate disconnect between the composition of the Alps-based LightCycle DSA base kit and the format of full-size boards it is intended to accommodate.

I didn't really notice this until I started considering getting a second Alps kit to put on a new full-size board (i.e., a Matias Quiet Pro).

Glad I bought that 40% set that was on Massdrop.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline zslane

« Reply #151 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 16:00:56 »
You can build yourself a Cluepad to make use of the numpad keys.

I suspect the kits were designed to simultaneously be accessible to newer Alps boards (e.g. V60 and V80 MTS verisons) and older Alps boards (e.g. AEK's and the like). But as always, you can't please everyone. If more 1.5u mods were included, someone who only wants this set to put on a V60 may cry foul at having to pay for all the extra keys. On the other hand, excluding them alienates people looking to use this set for a nonstandard layout. Where does one draw the line? In any case, the compatibility kit solves that issue, albeit at cost and a separate MOQ (which of course more people will complain about).

Yes, you're right about that. Kit composition is one of the hardest aspects of designing a set.

Now, normally a designer puts 1.25u bottom row modifiers in the base kit and rests peacefully, confident in the knowledge that it will make the vast majority of keyboard owners happy, and even be optimal for a good percentage of them. Unfortunately, the Alps keyboard situation is different; it seems to be split between small format keyboards with 1.25u bottom row modifiers and full-size boards (from Matias) with 1.5u bottom row modifiers. This situation ends up being optimal for absolutely nobody.

Ultimately I blame Matias for putting out boards with the wrong bottom row configuration. It's just a shame that LightCycle DSA doesn't address this peculiar situation, especially given that it is going to the trouble to provide (and make us pay for) keys for a full-size board. A full-size board in a configuration that doesn't really exist.

Reaching MOQ will be hard enough as it is; leaving all the Matias keyboard owners out in the cold unless they also pony up for the "compatibility" kit doesn't help much in that regard.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #152 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 16:59:32 »
If everything goes well what would be the expected delivery date atleast to the person running this group buy?

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #153 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 17:19:37 »
If everything goes well what would be the expected delivery date atleast to the person running this group buy?

From the order page

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #154 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 21:06:50 »
Show Image

From the order page

Arigato. For some reason I could not seem to find this when I looked around in their order page. Maybe my browser I don't know.

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

« Reply #155 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 00:06:01 »
Could we please get an update on quantity of orders placed? I've purchased red dolch from MD just to be sure my build won't left without caps at all, but definitely would prefer this set.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 14:21:42 »
Could we please get an update on quantity of orders placed? I've purchased red dolch from MD just to be sure my build won't left without caps at all, but definitely would prefer this set.

current numbers

mx base is good to go, alps base is getting closer. moq is only 50

mx compat not doing too badly

alps compat is pretty far behind.

Offline ac2531

« Reply #157 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 14:39:32 »

current numbers

Show Image

Is there a chance of having compat kits run at higher price points with a 25unit MOQ?
HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | HHKB Pro 1 | Realforce 87U (45g uniform) | WhiteFox (Gat Browns) | Anne Pro (Gat Reds) | WASD CODE (MX Clears)

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 14:47:12 »

current numbers

Show Image

Is there a chance of having compat kits run at higher price points with a 25unit MOQ?

if it comes down to that we can see what's available. I can extend the buy if need be as well.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 15:49:48 »
Definitely would've joined for Alps, but then I realized the only Alps board I have has a weird layout: AEK bottom with some 1.25u caps.  :-\

Offline mustardgreens

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 16:24:51 »
Definitely would've joined for Alps, but then I realized the only Alps board I have has a weird layout: AEK bottom with some 1.25u caps.  :-\

My kb has a standard layout. Would it be possible, from my excess keys, for me to send you the keys required to fit your AEK?

Offline ipreferpie

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 16:24:51 »

current numbers

Show Image

if it comes down to that we can see what's available. I can extend the buy if need be as well.

Good to hear! I'm down for paying a higher amount for the Alps base and compatibility kit myself. I'm down for 2 each no matter what

Offline zslane

« Reply #162 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 16:33:48 »

My kb has a standard layout. Would it be possible, from my excess keys, for me to send you the keys required to fit your AEK?

Hey, that gives me an idea. Once this set is delivered, maybe we could start a collection of unused 1.5u HACK and DISK keycaps. These could be doled out to needy Matias keyboard owners (who only ordered the base kit) on a first-come-first-serve basis.

Offline ac2531

[GB] DSA LightCycle (again)
« Reply #163 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 19:53:23 »

Hey, that gives me an idea. Once this set is delivered, maybe we could start a collection of unused 1.5u HACK and DISK keycaps. These could be doled out to needy Matias keyboard owners (who only ordered the base kit) on a first-come-first-serve basis.

I'd be down to sell caps that I don't need from the MX compatibility kit as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | HHKB Pro 1 | Realforce 87U (45g uniform) | WhiteFox (Gat Browns) | Anne Pro (Gat Reds) | WASD CODE (MX Clears)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 20:05:36 »
Sure, but that would leave me without the space bar still. :/

Offline zslane

« Reply #165 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 22:41:53 »
Ah, right. Good point.

I think there are going to be a lot of Alps LightCycle numpads up for sale come June...

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #166 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 02:38:50 »

There might be an Alps Custom 60% coming up in the second half of the year after some more testing was done. Though MX will run first and the IC won't start until a sample came in. ;)

Offline mustardgreens

« Reply #167 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 14:35:12 »
Oh man, I'm getting nervous for Alps. 

IIRC (correct me if I'm wrong) the 1st Lightcycle GB was cancelled because the Compat kits didn't meet MOQ and those potential cancellations made the core sets not hit MOQ either. I really hope we can reach the Alps minimum order; I wonder if there's somewhere we can promote this...

Offline zslane

« Reply #168 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 14:39:10 »
Other than Deskthority and /r/mech, I don't know where else to try.

I just don't think very many Alps fans like DSA keycaps. If they're going to spend over $100 for keycaps they're invariably going to want Cherry profile.

I don't know why. Cherry profile is lame.  :p

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #169 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 14:45:26 »
Oh man, I'm getting nervous for Alps. 

IIRC (correct me if I'm wrong) the 1st Lightcycle GB was cancelled because the Compat kits didn't meet MOQ and those potential cancellations made the core sets not hit MOQ either. I really hope we can reach the Alps minimum order; I wonder if there's somewhere we can promote this...

In the previous GB, the kits were broken up into numpad, base and compatibility kits. The problem was not hitting MOQ, there was some type of price quote error or miscommunication between Evangs and Signature Plastics so everyone was refunded.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline dante

« Reply #170 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 15:08:57 »
I just don't think very many Alps fans like DSA keycaps. If they're going to spend over $100 for keycaps they're invariably going to want Cherry profile.

I like Alps and DSA but I don't like how fragile the stems are.  If these were priced like $20 Tao Hao's that's one thing.  It takes a lot of courage (and a deep wallet) to take a chance on this.

Offline zslane

« Reply #171 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 15:32:33 »
Perhaps.

But name even one other spherical keycap set I can put on my KBP V60 mini?

Without a spherical set, my mini is useless to me.

« Reply #172 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 15:41:48 »
Perhaps.

But name even one other spherical keycap set I can put on my KBP V60 mini?

Without a spherical set, my mini is useless to me.

ALPS flat spherical?
But it's really hard to get them, I guess.

Offline zslane

« Reply #173 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 16:37:21 »
ALPS flat spherical?

Where do they come from? Are you talking about harvesting them from some old board?

« Reply #174 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 17:15:54 »
Actually, yes. I've read that some 80s laptops had them, but never dug deeper. It's not likely I ever find them where I live and eBay is too risky and too pricey.

Offline zslane

« Reply #175 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 20:19:28 »
Right. So for all intents and purposes there are no spherical keycaps available to put on my mini. LightCycle DSA is my only prospect.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #176 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 03:05:39 »
Right. So for all intents and purposes there are no spherical keycaps available to put on my mini. LightCycle DSA is my only prospect.

then we better just make it tip XD I'll be buying a few sets myself so lets just keep reminding every alps user that they need this set.

Offline daaawooo

Re: [IC] DSA LightCycle (again)
« Reply #177 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 17:24:18 »
Think of it this way: your ErgoDox was only half a keyboard without the right keycaps. It is only natural to spend another $100-150 on the other half...

if an ergodox (infinity) is only $100-150 ?
then I would have "another half of money" left to spend for the right keycaps, but the right keycaps are also $270+ instead of $100-150.

for us Germans a DIY ergodox infinity KIT is about 283 EUR (~ US$302) with S&H, tax/customs fees, creditcard foreign fee, ...
ok, I had the chance not order the blank black DSA caps at MD and save $50 and sitting on a useless keyboard w/o keycaps ?

sorry for venting ...

@Evan, yes I read you making only 2-4 bucks per kit. SP has no real competition.
Perixx PX-5200 BR, KBP-V60-MTS-Q, SS 6G V2

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #178 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 18:13:19 »
Think of it this way: your ErgoDox was only half a keyboard without the right keycaps. It is only natural to spend another $100-150 on the other half...

then I would have "another half of money" left to spend for the right keycaps, but the right keycaps are also $270+ instead of $100-150.

for us Germans a DIY ergodox infinity KIT is about 283 EUR (~ US$302) with S&H, tax/customs fees, creditcard foreign fee, ...
ok, I had the chance not order the blank black DSA caps at MD and save $50 and sitting on a useless keyboard w/o keycaps ?

sorry for venting ...

@Evan, yes I read you making only 2-4 bucks per kit. SP has no real competition.

It's pretty disgusting. I'm likely only going to be running GMK for a while.

Offline zslane

« Reply #179 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 18:23:07 »

Maybe it depends on the keyset you buy? The cost for an SA Dasher set for an ISO DE ErgoDox was $147. And it was only $100 is you were using an ANSI board (yes, being part of a tiny EU consumer base added a $47 premium). I don't think $100-150 is out of the ballpark for an ErgoDox set.

Offline daaawooo

« Reply #180 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 19:08:21 »
Maybe it depends on the keyset you buy? The cost for an SA Dasher set for an ISO DE ErgoDox was $147. And it was only $100 is you were using an ANSI board (yes, being part of a tiny EU consumer base added a $47 premium). I don't think $100-150 is out of the ballpark for an ErgoDox set.
but SA Dasher is MX stem only (and I ordered it, also have some MX boards)
yes even up to 200 would be ok for an ALPS ergodox set.
mmh, if someone selling me a 200h keycap I can go with only the BASE kit for an ergodox, if I use some of the 125 for the 150 ... or even use the a 175 as the fourth 200h ?
but it may look ugly.

best practice would be: selling all my non-MX, non-60% stuff ... so then keycaps come cheap ... just about 90-100 EUR per set to populate a 60%

« Last Edit: Sun, 12 March 2017, 19:18:31 by daaawooo »
Perixx PX-5200 BR, KBP-V60-MTS-Q, SS 6G V2

Offline zslane

« Reply #181 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 12:36:07 »
Ah, right, I was speaking about MX. Apologies for (my) confusion.

Yeah, Alps makes everything more expensive. Worse, custom keycaps for Alps is almost a non-existent product category! It is the primary reason why I have adamantly avoided Alps switches. And I strongly suggest that anyone else who likes to customize their keycaps, or prefers sphericals like I do, simply avoid Alps switches all together and spare themselves the misery.

My KBP V60 mini was a low-cost experiment to see how Matias tactiles felt. The switches are pretty nice, but 1. they are quite wobbly, 2. without LightCycle DSA they are worthless to me, and 3. they can't hold a candle to silenced Topre switches. Consequently, I don't think I'll buy another Alps-based keyboard ever again.

Offline mustardgreens

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 22:11:50 »
Ah, right, I was speaking about MX. Apologies for (my) confusion.

Yeah, Alps makes everything more expensive. Worse, custom keycaps for Alps is almost a non-existent product category! It is the primary reason why I have adamantly avoided Alps switches. And I strongly suggest that anyone else who likes to customize their keycaps, or prefers sphericals like I do, simply avoid Alps switches all together and spare themselves the misery.

My KBP V60 mini was a low-cost experiment to see how Matias tactiles felt. The switches are pretty nice, but 1. they are quite wobbly, 2. without LightCycle DSA they are worthless to me, and 3. they can't hold a candle to silenced Topre switches. Consequently, I don't think I'll buy another Alps-based keyboard ever again.

This is how I feel, but I'd also add:
4. The actuation point on Matias is very low. Which means if I want to add o-rings to shorten the key travel, the actuation point will be even closer to the bottom of the keypress. 

There is a forum post by E. Matias out there where he defends the wobble: 

[10/12/2013 22:36:42] Wellington Diesel: but anyways, why's there so much wobbling with your switches?
[10/12/2013 22:36:51] Wellington Diesel: I mean, the keycaps wobble a lot if you try to move them
[10/12/2013 22:37:23] Edgar Matias: it prevents them from catching if you press the key off-centre
[10/12/2013 22:37:43] Edgar Matias: wobble is your friend
[10/12/2013 22:37:50] Wellington Diesel: hmm... nice to know :)
[10/12/2013 22:38:07] Wellington Diesel: I just don't want to make some pre-concepts about something that's actually positive
[10/12/2013 22:38:27] Edgar Matias: yeah, never understood why there's so much hate on the wobble
[10/12/2013 22:38:37] Edgar Matias: probably just lack of awareness

What garbage! The whole point of having custom switches is for typing comfort and personal preference. If people don't like the wobble, that's reason in itself that it's a drawback for those users. End of story. 

The fact that Alps need wobble to make the click leaf work is not a feature. It's a drawback. 

Anyway, I really want to give my Alps board a shot, because I've already spent about $300 on it, and the Matias force curve looks closest to a buckling spring than anything I've seen. I would like to mod the switches with heavier springs though. 

Until then... Lightcycle, please happen...

Offline Sparkyman215

« Reply #183 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 08:16:25 »
Just bought the mx set to put on my tada68 when it comes in.... super excited

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #184 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 09:53:27 »
Vintage SKCM and SKCL complicated alps are much better than the Matias switches based on simplified alps.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #185 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 10:51:45 »
Hey Evan, how are the Alps orders coming along?

I feel that if more people were aware that this was up and running once more the orders for those would perk up a fair bit - given that the Planck is currently dropping on MD with Matias switches as an option, the Preonic/Subatomic are to follow and assuming they also will be having Alps compatible plates I can't help but think that if more people were in the know about this they'd be jumping at the chance of getting an amazing looking, custom set of matias compatible caps for their future boards. I'm even considering getting a set myself on top of my MX one even though I won't be getting my ortholinears with Matias, future-proof purchases are some of the better ones anyone can make.

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 11:47:03 »
Hey Evan, how are the Alps orders coming along?

Hey, that's my line!

BTW, Evan, you were saying that there's slight chance for GB to be extended? I personally can wait for additional week or two if this is needed to reach MoQ for ALPS with the help of currently running OLKB MD buyers.
Now I'll go straight to MD to be banned for advertising offsite GB in currently running GB.

Offline zslane

« Reply #187 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 12:18:31 »
I feel that if more people were aware that this was up and running once more the orders for those would perk up a fair bit...

No doubt!

The real question is, how do we make more people aware of this GB? All the usual channels have been informed...multiple times.

Offline dante

« Reply #188 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 12:37:59 »
There is a forum post by E. Matias out there where he defends the wobble: 

[10/12/2013 22:36:42] Wellington Diesel: but anyways, why's there so much wobbling with your switches?
[10/12/2013 22:36:51] Wellington Diesel: I mean, the keycaps wobble a lot if you try to move them
[10/12/2013 22:37:23] Edgar Matias: it prevents them from catching if you press the key off-centre
[10/12/2013 22:37:43] Edgar Matias: wobble is your friend
[10/12/2013 22:37:50] Wellington Diesel: hmm... nice to know :)
[10/12/2013 22:38:07] Wellington Diesel: I just don't want to make some pre-concepts about something that's actually positive
[10/12/2013 22:38:27] Edgar Matias: yeah, never understood why there's so much hate on the wobble
[10/12/2013 22:38:37] Edgar Matias: probably just lack of awareness

What garbage! The whole point of having custom switches is for typing comfort and personal preference. If people don't like the wobble, that's reason in itself that it's a drawback for those users. End of story. 

The fact that Alps need wobble to make the click leaf work is not a feature. It's a drawback. 

Per Matias he is retooling the current switches for less wobble:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=65528.msg2368973#msg2368973

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 12:58:38 »
I feel that if more people were aware that this was up and running once more the orders for those would perk up a fair bit...

No doubt!

The real question is, how do we make more people aware of this GB? All the usual channels have been informed...multiple times.

Yea that is the question is it not. I wouldn't know how to personally, I don't frequent any other enthusiast boards asides GH and Massdrop, I just hope people see this in time - 1000 Planck orders in like 24 hours, surely some of those are bound to me Alps, those always run out really quickly when they're offered in V60 form, etc.

Offline zslane

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 14:22:08 »
If only there was a way to inform MassDrop members of a related non-MassDrop group buy...

Offline zslane

« Reply #191 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 14:24:41 »

I guess he couldn't convince the marketplace that wobble was their friend after all.

In any case, I won't be investing in another Alps-based board given the lack of spherical keycap options. Reduced slider wobble can't compensate for that.

Offline ac2531

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 14:25:21 »
If only there was a way to inform MassDrop members of a related non-MassDrop group buy...

Would it be frowned-upon to simply link the GB page on Massdrop's discussion tab for the Plank but?

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 15:48:31 »

Would it be frowned-upon to simply link the GB page on Massdrop's discussion tab for the Plank but?

Done it already. You can actually upvote it to keep it "trending"

Offline mustardgreens

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 16:20:10 »

Ahahaha oh wow. Thanks for the info! It's good news, and is another excuse for me to desolder and resolder my alps board, I guess.

Completely off topic but is it easy to mod alps switches with custom springs like we do with Cherry?

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #195 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 16:24:31 »
I think you could, you can already modify Matias/Alps switches without desoldering. I'm not sure if the springs are the same dimensions as Cherry springs though, so you might need a different source of springs, but something to try out.

Also if the new switches have the same top-half housing/slider, you might be able to just pop them open and swap without desoldering. I don't know how much they're changing...

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 16:34:28 »

I think you could, you can already modify Matias/Alps switches without desoldering. I'm not sure if the springs are the same dimensions as Cherry springs though, so you might need a different source of springs, but something to try out.

Also if the new switches have the same top-half housing/slider, you might be able to just pop them open and swap without desoldering. I don't know how much they're changing...

SPRiT (24k gold) springs for Alps can be had from LeandreN's store, Mekanisk.co and MrBishop has published files for his very nifty Alps switch opener.

Not sure how interchangable different generations of Alps-based switches are though.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Kavik

« Reply #197 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 21:47:57 »
I just ordered the base Alps kit. Here's hoping it makes MOQ. I've done my part.  ;D
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #198 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 17:36:31 »
base mx - 118
base alps - 34
int/compat mx - 28
int/compat alps - 11

What kind of options would ya'll like to see in the event that a kit your ordered doesn't reach moq?

« Reply #199 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 17:47:13 »
base mx - 118
base alps - 34
int/compat mx - 28
int/compat alps - 11

What kind of options would ya'll like to see in the event that a kit your ordered doesn't reach moq?

Damn, ALPS is not gonna happen: only 2 joined the GB in 5 days.
Refund, actually. Not interested in MX, got too much of them already.