Author Topic: [GB] DSA LightCycle (again) - Shipping 100% complete  (Read 121135 times)

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
Re: [GB] DSA LightCycle (again) - Order Placed with Vendor
« Reply #350 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 11:07:33 »
I am so sad I missed this buy. I need this set so bad for my LSv3 build :( Hopefully someone will let a set go

As stated by Evangs, there will be extra sets available on his website. Some from refunded orders, and other extras that he ordered from the beginning
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #351 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 11:10:02 »
Anyone wanna refresh my memory what I'm going to have to do to make the alps keys work on a v60?  Something with making a stabilizer for the right shift or something, don't remember...

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #352 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 11:55:50 »
The V60 has Alps stabilizers on the 2U keys and Cherry stabilizers on the spacebar. So the Spacebar is good to go, but you might need these for the 2U stabilizers: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts/cherry-mx-keycap-stabilizer-insert-2pcs.html

These are "Costar" inserts, they should hook onto your Alps 2U wire and allow you to plug into the SP Alps caps (which use Cherry stems for stabilizers). I'm not 100% positive if these will fit the Alps wires but this kit from Matias leads me to believe they just work.

Matias kit: https://matias.store/collections/keycaps-and-switches-1/products/stabilizer-and-hook-set

That kit from Matias is mostly for Alps stabilizers, but you need enough for 4x Cherry stabilizers. (and I think there is only enough for 2x)

Offline zslane

« Reply #353 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 12:16:33 »
The problem is that the stabilizer stem mounts for the 2.75u right Shift key from SP are too close together (in towards the center) and so the standard stabilizer wire that comes with a KBP V60 mini won't reach the inserts. You'll need to repurpose (i.e., unbend and rebend into shape) a longer stabilizer wire, like a Matias spacebar wire, so you can make the "arms" at the ends long enough to reach the inserts.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #354 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 13:09:05 »
The V60 has Alps stabilizers on the 2U keys and Cherry stabilizers on the spacebar. So the Spacebar is good to go, but you might need these for the 2U stabilizers: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts/cherry-mx-keycap-stabilizer-insert-2pcs.html

These are "Costar" inserts, they should hook onto your Alps 2U wire and allow you to plug into the SP Alps caps (which use Cherry stems for stabilizers). I'm not 100% positive if these will fit the Alps wires but this kit from Matias leads me to believe they just work.

Matias kit: https://matias.store/collections/keycaps-and-switches-1/products/stabilizer-and-hook-set

That kit from Matias is mostly for Alps stabilizers, but you need enough for 4x Cherry stabilizers. (and I think there is only enough for 2x)

The problem is that the stabilizer stem mounts for the 2.75u right Shift key from SP are too close together (in towards the center) and so the standard stabilizer wire that comes with a KBP V60 mini won't reach the inserts. You'll need to repurpose (i.e., unbend and rebend into shape) a longer stabilizer wire, like a Matias spacebar wire, so you can make the "arms" at the ends long enough to reach the inserts.

Thanks.  I should be good then. I thought I remembered having this discussion a while back.  I believe I ordered some extra stabilizers both MX and Matias that are packed away somewhere.  I'll have to go looking :)

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #355 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 15:04:46 »
I have a date from SP. they are expecting caps to be complete next Thursday which means I should be shipping the following week.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #356 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 15:10:25 »
I regret not getting in on this extended set (I have the original run on a minivan and it just looks so good)... will there be any leftovers?
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #357 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 16:25:12 »
I regret not getting in on this extended set (I have the original run on a minivan and it just looks so good)... will there be any leftovers?

yes, also I'm about to refund someones order so you should spam the product page.

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #358 on: Wed, 12 July 2017, 18:23:16 »
Thanks for the update,  Evan.  Good to hear.
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline yokken

« Reply #359 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 10:45:03 »
Good to hear, I was really hoping we wouldn't have to wait until late August/early September for these.

Offline Sparkyman215

« Reply #360 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 20:34:18 »
Good to hear, I was really hoping we wouldn't have to wait until late August/early September for these.

I mean, it's going to be about the beginning of August when we get them ;) but no worries, I'm excited to get them!

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #361 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 10:34:22 »
Talked to SP yesterday, they said they should ship on Monday. Everyone cross your fingers that I get the caps next week and we can finally start to enjoy them!

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #362 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 10:35:25 »
Talked to SP yesterday, they said they should ship on Monday. Everyone cross your fingers that I get the caps next week and we can finally start to enjoy them!

Wonderful news! Thanks for the update!
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline yokken

« Reply #363 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 12:52:44 »
Woooooooot! Maybe I actually will have them by the time I'm ready to build my M65 :) Thanks for the update, Evan!

Offline Kavik

« Reply #364 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 15:34:28 »
Woooooooot! Maybe I actually will have them by the time I'm ready to build my M65 :) Thanks for the update, Evan!

Is this what you're planning on putting on your M65-a? If so, what color did you get? This would look good on Space Gray, but I only got an ALPS set, so I won't be able to enjoy these two together.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

« Reply #365 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 16:30:05 »
Wow, finally.
Well, I hope I'll finish my ALPS64 build in September then.

Offline zslane

« Reply #366 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 19:28:33 »
I have a KPB V60 mini, re-cased in a black Lambo case, waiting for these keycaps.

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #367 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 12:23:35 »

Is this what you're planning on putting on your M65-a? If so, what color did you get? This would look good on Space Gray, but I only got an ALPS set, so I won't be able to enjoy these two together.

http://www.lfk78.com/product/smk65-pcb

I'm not sure if that PCB is compatible, but maybe? =)

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #368 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 12:24:51 »

http://www.lfk78.com/product/smk65-pcb

I'm not sure if that PCB is compatible, but maybe? =)
He'd still need an alps plate

Offline yokken

« Reply #369 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 18:30:58 »

I got the Space Gray :) Will be putting Maxkey Orange on Dolch on it first, but LightCycle should look good on it as well.

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #370 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 00:51:43 »

Those PCBs are for SMK Alps which have the same/very similar cut-out as MX afaik, so they should theoretically fit the stock M65 plate. I could be wrong though.

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #371 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 11:34:36 »

Those PCBs are for SMK Alps which have the same/very similar cut-out as MX afaik, so they should theoretically fit the stock M65 plate. I could be wrong though.
Good point. Not sure if those smk switches use ~19mm spacing like MX

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #372 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 20:13:58 »

Good point. Not sure if those smk switches use ~19mm spacing like MX

SMK switches do more-less share the same cutout dimensions of 14mm2 as Cherry but tend to fit better in plates that support switchtop opening. The universal standard is 19.05 mm square spacing from the center-to-center of each cutout.  No keyboard designers deviate from this so when trying to fit SMK switches into a MX plates, the problem lies not with spacing, but with manufacturing tolerances. Are the corners rounded? Are cutouts larger than spec due to kerf? Stuff like that.

There aren't any SMK PCBs in the M65A layout so it would have to be handwired with a custom plate that supports plate-mounted MX stabilizers. Personally, I think don't care for SMK switches enough to deal with all the headaches of alps switches they are inferior to.  Aristotle stems in gateron housings with the right spring weight are better than SMK switches and the best mx-based clicky switch available.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Kavik

« Reply #373 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 10:04:00 »
I already have Zealios for my M65-A. I was only commenting that I wouldn't be able to use LightCycle on it because I didn't order MX mount caps since I didn't think of these two's going together. I had no plans of trying to put ALPS on that build (it'll be my first build, so I'm trying to keep it simple anyway.). Still some interesting info though.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline ac2531

« Reply #374 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 10:16:02 »
The black Realforce 87u I traded for just arrived - as soon as LightCycle comes in, it's getting cracked open for a stem-swap and some DSA goodness :)
HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | HHKB Pro 1 | Realforce 87U (45g uniform) | WhiteFox (Gat Browns) | Anne Pro (Gat Reds) | WASD CODE (MX Clears)

Offline zslane

« Reply #375 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 12:27:18 »
How do you plan to accommodate the two extra stems on all the keys 2u and wider? Those stems will hit the wide, raised plate "roof" over each switch, preventing the keys from depressing properly.

Offline ac2531

« Reply #376 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 12:29:53 »
How do you plan to accommodate the two extra stems on all the keys 2u and wider? Those stems will hit the wide, raised plate "roof" over each switch, preventing the keys from depressing properly.

I'll probably drill the case (I know that's how you do it on HHKB, assuming that it's the same way on a Realforce), as I'd like to not have to cut up these keycaps. Knowing my luck, if I modify the caps, my fingers will decide to like MX-style switches again and I'll have a worthless keyset.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 July 2017, 12:37:06 by ac2531 »
HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | HHKB Pro 1 | Realforce 87U (45g uniform) | WhiteFox (Gat Browns) | Anne Pro (Gat Reds) | WASD CODE (MX Clears)

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #377 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 12:35:35 »
My Blackbird w/Green Gats + SIP mod + Skyblue LED's is ready:

Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline zslane

« Reply #378 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 13:44:41 »

I'll probably drill the case...

Gotcha. Yeah, that's what I plan to do for the Enter key on my Topre numpad. I already have replacement stems and silencing rings installed; I just haven't gotten around to the drilling part yet...

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #379 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 18:40:53 »
Yep, it's what I'm doing with the boards I'm modifying w/ JTK sliders, just mimicking the Novatouch stabilizer cut-outs. Bit tedious.

But now KBDFans has silencing rings for cheap, so I can silence these boards at the same time :D

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #380 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 19:11:57 »
Every time I see a new post in here I keep hoping its evangs with an update, but it is not to be.
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #381 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 20:54:54 »
Every time I see a new post in here I keep hoping its evangs with an update, but it is not to be.

Offline zslane

« Reply #382 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 21:06:17 »
Yep, it's what I'm doing with the boards I'm modifying w/ JTK sliders, just mimicking the Novatouch stabilizer cut-outs. Bit tedious.

But now KBDFans has silencing rings for cheap, so I can silence these boards at the same time :D

Could you provide a link to those cheap silencing rings? Thanks!

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #383 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 21:37:22 »

https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/products/kbdfans-mod-topre-keyboard-silence-o-ring-hhkb-keyboard-realforce-87-104

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #384 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 01:46:00 »

https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/products/kbdfans-mod-topre-keyboard-silence-o-ring-hhkb-keyboard-realforce-87-104

Actually was thinking of these: https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/products/topre-keyboard-silence-x-120pcs

The one you linked are just o-rings, these are clones/copies of the original Topre silencing ring. Might look on Taobao or something and see if I can find it cheaper. He usually marks it up a little bit on the shopify page.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #385 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 01:53:41 »

Actually was thinking of these: https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/products/topre-keyboard-silence-x-120pcs

The one you linked are just o-rings, these are clones/copies of the original Topre silencing ring. Might look on Taobao or something and see if I can find it cheaper. He usually marks it up a little bit on the shopify page.

Ahh, thanks for the correction.

Offline ac2531

« Reply #386 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 08:19:27 »

I've actually got a set of these on order right now to silence my Realforce - I can PM you guys with my impressions when I've got them installed if you'd like.

Offline zslane

« Reply #387 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 12:00:06 »
The red ones were the ones I was looking for. They are the ones I usually put on my TMX switches. I just need more.

The black ones are interesting, but I wonder if they would fit properly with the sliders in a RealForce RGB board.

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #388 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 04:41:53 »

I bought both JTK Topre to MX sliders and these KBDfans Topre to MX sliders.

1. JTK Topre to MX sliders has no silence rings. I found it's noisy to use them on HHKB, especially using low profile keycaps, like DSA. And they don't have padding inside the key stems. So the keycaps would be uneven sitting on the stems. But they have 2.25u stabilizer stems, which could be use on the left shift and right enter position of my HHKB. You may need to sand them to fit these 2.25u positions.

2. KBDFans Topre to MX sliders have silence rings. It's much quieter use them on HHKB. They feel a little bit scratchy, not as smooth as JTK ones or the stock sliders. Padding inside the key stems so the keycaps are even. But the QC is not good enough, so the keycap is rotated in about 1~2 degree anti-clockwise. Only 1u stems but no 2.25u stem.

I lubricate and use KBDFans Topre to MX sliders on all the 1u positions on my HHKB. For the 2.25u left shift and right enter, I remove the silence rings from extra KBDFans sliders and put them on JTK sliders, and then install them on my HHKB. Holes are drilled using a common scissor for these stabilizers keycaps.

The most tricky part is the spacebar. I remove the stock housings, install a 1u JTK sliders(with KBDFans silence ring) and a set of costar stabilizer on the housing holes. Since the KBDFans sliders are rotated, they are not good to be used in a long keycap like spacebar.

Both KBDFans/JTK sliders have flaws. They're good enough to use but not perfect. I want to try the Novatouch sliders if I have the chance later.

At the end of all these work/twisting, now I have a HHKB with SA keycaps installed.

There are 1u super, 1.25u alt and 6.25u spacebar in the bottom row. There are holes between 1.25u alt and 6.25u spacebar. It's not perfect but it's fine for daily usage.

Now I'm free to switch different keycaps (including spacebar) on my HHKB. I'm really fond of SA profile and use Jukebox on it now. Looking forward to getting Godspeed or Dasher/Dancer and put them on.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 July 2017, 06:28:32 by hhkbp2 »

Offline zslane

« Reply #389 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 12:22:22 »
Very nice!  :thumb:

Offline ac2531

« Reply #390 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 09:31:25 »

Hey Evan, did you hear anything from SP yet? Did the caps actually ship when SP said they would?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #391 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 11:31:44 »

Hey Evan, did you hear anything from SP yet? Did the caps actually ship when SP said they would?

Good news folks. SP did ship on Monday and the caps are slated to arrive tomorrow the 28th! I'm extremely excited to finally see these caps and start shipping them to all you patient folks.

Offline ac2531

« Reply #392 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 11:33:38 »

Good news folks. SP did ship on Monday and the caps are slated to arrive tomorrow the 28th! I'm extremely excited to finally see these caps and start shipping them to all you patient folks.

The only way this news could better is if you had the caps already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #393 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 11:53:50 »

I liked the email you sent out.  MCP has been defeated?  I guess we'll have to see the final product before I set my disc down.

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #394 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 12:22:34 »

Thanks for the heads-up, Evan.  New daily-driver's sitting in the shop, ready to go!
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline yokken

« Reply #395 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 12:35:00 »
Game on, old friend.

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #396 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 12:47:34 »

So awesome! I'm not sure what I'm more excited for... these caps or the Norbauer cases shipping out soon. Thanks Evan!
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #397 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 13:07:37 »

So awesome! I'm not sure what I'm more excited for... these caps or the Norbauer cases shipping out soon. Thanks Evan!

:D I've got one of the round 1 norbauer cases. Beautiful piece of work. I have the white one with GMK skeletor on it, but plan on putting dasher on when it arrives. I may have to do a Tron photoshoot inbetween.

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #398 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 14:04:50 »

:D I've got one of the round 1 norbauer cases. Beautiful piece of work. I have the white one with GMK skeletor on it, but plan on putting dasher on when it arrives. I may have to do a Tron photoshoot inbetween.

I've got one of the retro teal R2 ones coming that I plan on using with Lightcycle. Plan on posting the entire buildlog once everything is here  :cool:

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #399 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 14:54:58 »
I've got one of the retro teal R2 ones coming that I plan on using with Lightcycle. Plan on posting the entire buildlog once everything is here  :cool:

Looking forward to that!