Author Topic: [IC] DSA Cyrillic Keyset  (Read 5306 times)

Offline yaranzo

[IC] DSA Cyrillic Keyset
« on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 16:03:01 »
FEEDBACK NEEDED
Please take a look at the pictures showcasing three different colors for the mods and let me know which one you prefer. Thank you! Poll here: https://goo.gl/forms/LzyQpAVN2IKhTmf23

Hey there! This is an interest check for a keyset inspired by Soviet era keyboards from Russia.

This set is planned to be produced by Signature plastic, in DSA profile and will be dyesub PBT. I plan to offer support for most layouts, so feel free to comment if you think something is missing from any kits, if you feel I should make additionnal kits, etc.

The colors for this set are YBT (http://i.imgur.com/x13jNi9.png) for the alphas and GQT(http://i.imgur.com/7XNCLKg.png) for the mods. The red is RBH(http://i.imgur.com/Iqi7RNi.png).

Timeline:
  • Receiving feedback on the kits/novelties < We're here
  • Modifying the kits (if needed)
  • Getting a quote from SP
  • Finding someone for renders / getting renders
  • Finding a venue for the group buy
  • Group buy!
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 January 2017, 15:21:39 by yaranzo »

Offline hansichen

Re: [IC] R3 SA PBT Cyrillic Keyset
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 16:16:51 »
As far as I know doubleshot SA keys are always abs, with pbt they only offer dye sublimation (like icecap keyset) and this technique has only black legends.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 January 2017, 16:19:39 by hansichen »

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 16:18:02 »
If PBT is your goal, your mods, color packs and novelties aren't going to work.  The PBT would be dye-subbed and that only works with darker legends on a lighter base.

Red mods with black legends might be cool.  Just a thought.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 January 2017, 16:19:59 by Pwner »
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline yaranzo

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 17:20:08 »
I completely forgot that their dyesub process wouldn't work. Might want to make this doubleshot in that case. Reworking the set to get it to work on PBT is also an option I am considering as I would prefer making this a PBT set.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 January 2017, 17:24:40 by yaranzo »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 17:31:14 »
Theme's great, not a fan of SA at all though really but if it's uniform R3 then that's not so bad. I'd rather DSA or GMK though.

Offline yaranzo

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 17:42:05 »
Theme's great, not a fan of SA at all though really but if it's uniform R3 then that's not so bad. I'd rather DSA or GMK though.
Honestly, DSA was what I started this set with and considering I can't do PBT with the current colors, I'm probably just going to make this doubleshot DSA so I can keep the same colors and be able to have the set available sooner.

Offline Vigrith

Re: [IC] DSA Cyrillic Keyset
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 20:21:10 »
If this is DSA I'm for sure in, I've been learning Russian for a couple years and I've wanted a full set for Cyrillic without the silly English legends for the longest time now.

PS: The kits actually look very well achieved considering it the IC was just posted today. Impressive. I'd be very happy if you make this happen.

Offline mustardgreens

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 January 2017, 23:13:27 »
If you're doing this doubleshot and SP doesn't already have the plates done for Cyrillic letters, it is going to be prohibitively expensive.

Offline r4wromg

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 January 2017, 01:17:36 »
Colors look great with the theme. Would definitely be in for this as I've been looking for Cyrillic set

Offline yaranzo

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 07:29:40 »
If you're doing this doubleshot and SP doesn't already have the plates done for Cyrillic letters, it is going to be prohibitively expensive.
Yeah that's something I'm worrying about at the moment. Chances are I'm going to be changing the mod colors and making this PBT again so the cyrillic set can happen. I posted this IC very early so nothing is set in stone yet. I should be contacting SP and people for renders once I figure out the details of this set (hopefully mid february, most likely at the end of the month).

Offline yaranzo

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 14:36:41 »
Uploaded a preview with the new colors. Also changed the set back to PBT because of the cyrillic set.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 14:40:57 »
Same thing I ran into with Kabuto, but HC Granite Icon mods are in GQT, pretty close to yours  - http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-hc-granite/

Offline Canceaux

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 14:48:18 »
I get why you're changing the keyset to PBT, but I loved the old mod colors; the white-on-red contrast was especially beautiful on the icon colorpack and really sold the set for me. Having the new ones be black-on-grey makes the set lose a lot of contrast and the mods overly dark. Hopefully this change will seem less annoying with renders, but though dyesub is necessary I can't help but be disappointed. Maybe make the mods even lighter?
Leopold FC750R, Cherry MX Blues

Offline yaranzo

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 14:50:09 »
Same thing I ran into with Kabuto, but HC Granite Icon mods are in GQT, pretty close to yours  - http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-hc-granite/
That's something I noticed as well. I'm still debating whether I should pick a color that isn't grey or go for something lighter. I'm not a fan of how the legends look on HC Granite tbh. For now I'm using that color as a place holder and trying different ones before I make a decision.

Offline yaranzo

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 14:52:23 »
I get why you're changing the keyset to PBT, but I loved the old mod colors; the white-on-red contrast was especially beautiful on the icon colorpack and really sold the set for me. Having the new ones be black-on-grey makes the set lose a lot of contrast and the mods overly dark. Hopefully this change will seem less annoying with renders, but though dyesub is necessary I can't help but be disappointed. Maybe make the mods even lighter?
Yeah I did love the old color pack too, but for me this set really needs the cyrillic alphas. Like I just said to someone else, I'm looking at other colors for the mods.

Offline yaranzo

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 15:22:33 »
Added a poll for the mods color. Please give feedback on what color you would like me to use.

Offline Kominyetska

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 15:24:31 »
I'm super into this! I love the full size Cyrillic legends and I love it on DSA. I'm in on this one almost no matter what the colors are.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 03:24:40 »
RBH Alphas & GQT Mods!
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline armatus

• Ergodox'n'Colemak
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 06:54:31 »
any news?
really hard to find russian monolegend DSA set.
want to buy this