Author Topic: [GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO (In production)  (Read 764275 times)

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
[GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO (In production)
« on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 23:39:21 »
For more background information on the project
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=86815.0

First of all I would like to apologize for the delay in launching the GB. Lots of details need to be finalized, Chinese New Year preparation and also my brother's family visiting from New Zealand. It has been an intensive week for me.

The prototype we made is perfect. The Kustom elements added to it by yuktsi blended really well with Rama's design. An actual board tells a lot more than just renders, in this case. Everything was very different from how I expected EXENT would be. The board weighed reasonably nice, it sits sturdily on my table and the height is just right. Most important of all the actual board looks a lot more buff. It looks like a gangsta when sitting next to any TKL. I love it very much. ntw couldn't stop touching it.

It has been pointed out by many that it's unrealistic to just add a few dollars on top of the cost. The poly-carbonate bottom and stainless steel feet are really difficult to be machined.  There are chances of defective parts during production that has to be accounted for. We also foresee the unavoidable import tax on the GMK set. The initial design fee and cost of prototyping was sunk cost and were not costed into our selling price.

Due to the circumstances we had to place 10% increment to our original proposed price, for contingency purposes (toughest decision I ever made in my life). EXENT is something I wish to do for the community. 2016 was an amazing year for me because of you guys. XOXO

Engineering Sample

more http://imgur.com/a/hmJ5m

Design

More

GMK Keyset

Layouts

Finish

Black

Silver

Grey

Blue

Pink

Tech Specs
Material: 6 series Aluminum (top housing), Polycarbonate (bottom housing), Stainless steel (feet)
Dimension: 140 x 400 mm (5.5 x 15.7 inch)
Angle: 8 or 12 degree
Weight: 1.6kg (3.5lbs)
PCB: Developed based on ps2avrGB firmware and Bootmapper GUI with permission from Winkeyless.kr

Price
- Exent Basic Kit: from $198 (inclusive of housing, plate and PCB)
- Exent Premium Kit: from $275 (inclusive of basic kit, stabs, switches and GMK Keyset)

Additional Parts 
- PCB $35
- Aluminium plate $30
- Brass plate $55
- 8 deg feet $25
- 12 deg feet $40
- Polycarbonate bottom case $50
- Aluminum bottom case $80

Shipping
- Shipping will be from Malaysia
- US $50
- Asia $25
- Europe $40

Project Timeline
- Groupbuy ends 22th February 2016
- Payment deadline 28th February 2016
- Production 12-16 weeks

Moderator edit: removed link to order form, as this group buy is long over.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 October 2018, 21:10:13 by Photoelectric »
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline juahenza

Re: [GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 23:40:01 »
FAQ

1. How long will the GB be open for and when is payment due?
Check project timeline in the first post.

2. Availability of MOD switches?
Form has been update. MOD-L and MOD-M are available now for +$40.

3. Factory Assembly?
Everything is pre-assembled except for stabilizers, switch and front LEDs.

4. ETA for GMK render?
No ETA. Sherryton/the team will keep us informed as details develop.

5. What extra keys will the GMK set come with?
The keys shown in the existing render + 4 keys for ISO + 3 keys for split spacebar.

6. What kind of stabilizers will be included? When ordering additional stabilizers on page 2, does 1 set include all stabilizers needed for standard layout? What brand are the stabilizers? Will the GMK set in the Premium kit support the split spacebar layout?
Standard and screw-in type (both are PCB mounted). Comes is 5 x 2u and 1 x 6.25u. They are supplied by GMK. The form has been updated, you pick either or both of them for additional parts now. And yes, 5 x 2u is enough for split spacebar layout.

7. Is underglow LED configurable and RGB?
Yes, through BootMapper Client winkeyless.

8. How do we order two boards?
Yes. Just submit a second form and a put a remark at the note section.

9. Can we see a difference between the plates or is it just a weight difference? Does one let the LED light shine through more than the other?
You can see the difference but the options are for people who want to try a different typing feel. Brass is denser than steel but not as hard. It has nothing to do with the LED, though the silver anodized aluminum plate is more reflective.

10. What feet are those on the engineering sample? 8 or 12 degrees?
8 deg

11. What is the option 'Under-declare parcel value to $80? Can you mark the parcel as gift?
Its an option for them to declare the package as being valued under $80. This can help people dodge some custom taxes and stuff, though has some small risks. All parcel will be marked as gift.

12. How do we order two boards?
Yes. Just submit a second form and a put a remark at the note section.

13. Will we have a chance to edit our information before the GB closes? If we already used the form, can we change it?
I've enabled "Edit after submit" feature. You should be able to edit it after submission. In case you can't do it, you may submit another one and put a remark at the note section.

14. Will the GMK set ever be sold seperately, like on the Originative store?
No.

15. Which color should I pick?
Get both or all.

« Last Edit: Thu, 26 January 2017, 23:35:41 by juahenza »
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline juahenza

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 23:40:28 »
#Update 2nd January 2018
1. Basic Kit (except gray) all shipped
2. Basic Kit (gray) - all shipped
3. Basic Kit with addons - all shipped
4. Premium Kit going on - shipping

Collecting the anodized aluminum bottom tomorrow. Will update on how it goes.

#Update 7th December 2017
1. Basic Kit (except gray) all shipped
2. Basic Kit (gray) - shipped by the week of 11th Dec
3. Basic Kit with addons - shipped by week of 11th Dec
4. Premium Kit going on - shipping out in the week of 18th Dec

Machining for aluminum bottom has been completed. Expect for another week for anodizing.

LED Repair Guide https://imgur.com/a/qaj50

Kindly fill the form if you have received a cracked bottom
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScvIUGHcOE_H1KhPcFmHPZAi8SRr8BIjIoK6fNA2dl8CAXQig/viewform

#Update 9th August 2017

Been awhile since the last update from us. This will serve as the update section, we are committed to updating everyone on a weekly basis.

Top case: Machining has been completed, anodizing is in progress. We had received of the gray parts, finishing isn't really up to our expectation, they were sent back for rework. The top part will be delivered in batches according to colors.

Bottom Polycarbonate: Machining in progress.

Bottom Aluminum: Will commence as soon as the machining for polycarbonate bottom is completed.

Stainless steel feet: Fabrication completed.

PCB: Fabrication completed. Awaiting QC and delivery.

Plate aluminum: Anodizing in progress.

Plate brass: Fabrication in progress.

GMK set: Fabrication in progress.

Packaging/Boxes/Screws/Bumpons: On hand.

The machining of the polycarbonate is identified to be the critical path for the whole delivery. First was the delayed in the commencement of fabrication of it, we were later informed that the machine has to be programmed to be slower in order to avoid excessive heat generation, which will cause warping in the machine parts. Thus further lengthen the whole process. At this rate, we are looking to starting the delivery by late September/October, and to completely deliver by early December.   
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 January 2018, 06:04:29 by juahenza »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 06:56:42 »
 :-*

Offline Zackfoo

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 06:57:12 »
TARO! Basically means the keyboard is made with yam. Good stuff! Bump!

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 06:57:33 »
Yeeeee

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 06:58:29 »
in for the pink

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 06:59:29 »
in for the pink
Lol of course you are.

Offline testplsignore

• I am one with the Cup Rubber...
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 07:12:07 »
The renders show grey keys with black legends, but the mockup is black keys with grey legends.

I'm assuming it's going to be the black keys with grey legends? Need to know to make my decision on case color.  :p

Also, any info on payment timeframes / shipping costs to Australia? Is this shipping from the USA?

Looking awesome though!

Realforce 10AE 45g Type-S & 55g    HHKB BT & Type-S    Realforce RGB Hype-S    FC980C    FC660C    Filco BT TKL

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 07:16:02 »
The first of the color pictures is the actual black prototype they built, the other colors are photoshopped for reference. So I don't think that keyset is meant to be an indicator of the gmk set, but I could be wrong.

Offline testplsignore

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 07:18:50 »
The first of the color pictures is the actual black prototype they built, the other colors are photoshopped for reference. So I don't think that keyset is meant to be an indicator of the gmk set, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, not the prototype (I'm pretty sure that's O.co Cyrillic); but the difference between the photoshopped renders and the 2D mockup of the GMK set.

Realforce 10AE 45g Type-S & 55g    HHKB BT & Type-S    Realforce RGB Hype-S    FC980C    FC660C    Filco BT TKL

Offline Blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 07:24:46 »

Yeah, not the prototype (I'm pretty sure that's O.co Cyrillic); but the difference between the photoshopped renders and the 2D mockup of the GMK set.

It's a photo of the prototype with an EnjoyPBT keyset thats has been photoshopped to show the various colors.

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 07:25:22 »
How do we order two boards? I wanted to have two sets of options for this, but it only lets me submit one form.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 07:25:28 »

Do you mean the black on gray with the orange (I think? Or red) escape, on the wooden background? If so, that's just a keyset that was put on the prototype, not a rendered keyset.

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding you!

Offline testplsignore

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 07:29:54 »

Do you mean the black on gray with the orange (I think? Or red) escape, on the wooden background? If so, that's just a keyset that was put on the prototype, not a rendered keyset.

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding you!

All good!

Looks like the GMK keyset will be Black with grey legends. (The mockup with the red esc and the red enter)

As mentioned by Blackhawk, the photoshopped renders have a grey EnjoyPBT set with black legends that was just used on the prototype for the different colors.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 07:32:57 »
How long is this going to run for?
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline ricyuyc

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 07:33:33 »
the optional stabilisers are not screw in type, right?

Offline hitlu

• [LF] Ogres and Colonel
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 07:36:46 »
ORDER HERE

For more background information on the project
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=86815.0

Show Image

First of all I would like to apologize for the delay in launching the GB. Lots of details need to be finalized, Chinese New Year preparation and also my brother's family visiting from New Zealand. It has been an intensive week for me.

The prototype we made is perfect. The Kustom elements added to it by yuktsi blended really well with Rama's design. An actual board tells a lot more than just renders, in this case. Everything was very different from how I expected EXENT would be. The board weighed reasonably nice, it sits sturdily on my table and the height is just right. Most important of all the actual board looks a lot more buff. It looks like a gangsta when sitting next to any TKL. I love it very much. ntw couldn't stop touching it.

It has been pointed out by many that it's unrealistic to just add a few dollars on top of the cost. The poly-carbonate bottom and stainless steel feet are really difficult to be machined.  There are chances of defective parts during production that has to be accounted for. We also foresee the unavoidable import tax on the GMK set. The initial design fee and cost of prototyping was sunk cost and were not costed into our selling price.

Due to the circumstances we had to place 10% increment to our original proposed price, for contingency purposes (toughest decision I ever made in my life). EXENT is something I wish to do for the community. 2016 was an amazing year for me because of you guys. XOXO

Engineering Sample

Show Image

more http://imgur.com/a/hmJ5m

Design

Show Image

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

GMK Keyset

Show Image

We are still waiting for the render with ISO and more keys

Layouts

Show Image

Finish

Black
Show Image

Silver
Show Image

Grey
Show Image

Blue
Show Image

Pink
Show Image

Tech Specs
Material: 6 series Aluminum (top housing), Polycarbonate (bottom housing), Stainless steel (feet)
Dimension: 140 x 400 mm (5.5 x 15.7 inch)
Angle: 8 or 12 degree
Weight: 1.6kg (3.5lbs)
PCB: Developed based on ps2avrGB firmware and Bootmapper GUI with permission from Winkeyless.kr

Price
- Exent Basic Kit: from $198 (inclusive of housing, plate and PCB)
- Exent Premium Kit: from $275 (inclusive of basic kit, stabs, switches and GMK Keyset)

Additional Parts 
- PCB $35
- Aluminium plate $30
- Brass plate $55
- 8 deg feet $25
- 12 deg feet $40
- Polycarbonate bottom case $50
- Aluminum bottom case $80

GLW
Colonel or Ogre

Offline joey

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 07:37:41 »
Congrats juanhenza (& co), I know you've been wanting this for a long time :thumb: :cool:

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 07:38:43 »
I was really hoping for a bubble gum pink and not Lamborghini pink :( Oh well one less thing to consider.

Sent from my microwave oven using alternating current

Offline catweewee

• SINGA | singakbd.com
  • * Vendor
  • Yellows
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 07:46:53 »
Ill take one in each colour please. Delivered to my doorstep by amos. With angpao. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 07:47:06 »
What a time to be alive actually :)

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 07:55:41 »
This is so tempting, because it's such an interesting design. Kudos to you for getting this executed to this point.

One thing that keeps nagging me, however, is whether that lower bezel is too short to be a wrist rest and just long enough to be a pain.

Offline gaunt

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 07:57:03 »
How long will the GB be open for? I need time to decide :)

Offline juahenza

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 08:06:45 »
Ill take one in each colour please. Delivered to my doorstep by amos. With angpao. Thx

K

Offline The_Boom_Boy

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 08:07:19 »
that is one cheap gmk set

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 08:08:39 »
Will shipping be cheaper for those in Malaysia?  :))
http://monokei.co

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 08:17:32 »
How do we order two boards? I wanted to have two sets of options for this, but it only lets me submit one form.

Incognito mode is your friend.

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 08:21:37 »

Incognito mode is your friend.

Seems to be okay now, looks like I can submit a second form without having to go Incognito.

Offline Traveler

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 08:23:59 »
Are there no options for MOD switches (for an extra fee of course)? I thought it was hinted that there would be, both on geekhack and reddit. That was the biggest attraction to the Premium kit for me  :(.

EDIT: Also, there was mention of a Factory Assemble option for premium kits. Did that fall through, or am I just missing something on the order sheet?

Finally, I don't see any details about the stabilizers. I'm assuming they aren't screw in, and there's no way to order screw-in stabilizers with the Premium kit?

This is my first group-buy, so sorry for any silly questions. Really excited about this; I'm in love with the grey color. Very happy it appears to be more of a carbon-grey than a space grey (although I'll be fine it it turns out to be space grey too).
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2017, 08:50:41 by Traveler »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 08:33:47 »

Offline kconfire

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 08:45:49 »
Wait, a question- do I need to have a polycarbonate bottom to retain the lighting to the ground?
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
  • Colour my life with the chaos of trouble
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 08:49:49 »
Wait, a question- do I need to have a polycarbonate bottom to retain the lighting to the ground?
Yes
email: yuktsi@ttggrr.cc

My collection

More
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 | Whale Poly | 356cl | HBCP | Dolinger | Linger | FMJ80 | KFE

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 08:54:22 »
Shipping from Malaysia may just be the excuse I need to get this. I'll probably wait until the end though due to money things. I'd like to see how that pink is going to look irl.

Offline Tre3Cycl3S

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 08:56:53 »
Are there no options for MOD switches (for an extra fee of course)? I thought it was hinted that there would be, both on geekhack and reddit. That was the biggest attraction to the Premium kit for me  :(.

EDIT: Also, there was mention of a Factory Assemble option for premium kits. Did that fall through, or am I just missing something on the order sheet?

Finally, I don't see any details about the stabilizers. I'm assuming they aren't screw in, and there's no way to order screw-in stabilizers with the Premium kit?

This is my first group-buy, so sorry for any silly questions. Really excited about this; I'm in love with the grey color. Very happy it appears to be more of a carbon-grey than a space grey (although I'll be fine it it turns out to be space grey too).

I am very interested to know if MOD switches will be offered as a switch option as well.
QFR           HHKB Pro-2     JD45         VE.A                    XMIT 61-Key       JD40 Mk.II                    Realforce 87U     M65-A                 Custom:Annie      NightFox      Pearl                  E6-V2 R2                          Norbaforce
MX Blue     45g Topre        MX Blue     R5 67g Zealios     50g Hall Effect     Modded Gateron Red     55g Topre           R5 78g Zealios     62g Ergo Grey     Hako True     R9 62g Zilent     Lubed Holy Trash Panda     OG Sony BKE Domes

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 08:57:01 »
Actually, I've only read the 1st page of the form thus far but is factory assembly still being offered or did you opt out of that? Additionally how's the shipping being handled, is it still being proxy'd by people in the UK/US for EU/NA orders?

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 09:06:13 »
Thanks, signed up. Will we be able to see pictures of the aluminum bottom cases before the GB ends? Would like to see some sample pieces before adding to my order.

Actually, I've only read the 1st page of the form thus far but is factory assembly still being offered or did you opt out of that? Additionally how's the shipping being handled, is it still being proxy'd by people in the UK/US for EU/NA orders?

First post seems to indicate shipping directly from Malaysia.

Offline merutz

• @merutz
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 09:16:33 »
1. MOD switches?

2. Factory Assembly?

3. What feet are those on the engineering sample? 8 or 12 degrees?

3. Can we see a difference between the plates or is it just a weight difference?

4. ETA for GMK render?

P.S. Can we please get a a video of the engineering sample? I'd really love to hear how it sounds.

QFR R-i/DSA Dolch   |   MX Master
     + yellow Esc

Offline Saiph

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 09:27:08 »
3. Can we see a difference between the plates or is it just a weight difference?
The plate material will affect the feel of the keyboard. The brass should feel stiffer/less flexible than the aluminum. People seem to generally prefer brass and steel for linear switches and aluminum for tactile.

Offline ntw

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 09:58:41 »

K

don't miss mine too
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline kconfire

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 10:02:06 »
The plate material will affect the feel of the keyboard. The brass should feel stiffer/less flexible than the aluminum. People seem to generally prefer brass and steel for linear switches and aluminum for tactile.

Hmm that's interesting.
So I take the strongest/least flexible switch plate is NOT always the best and there are suitable/more preferred switch plates for different switches?

I've seen some people prefer Poly carbonate plates- how do they feel?
Poly carbonate is like the plastic that Samsung uses a lot on their phone, correct?

I wish someone had identical 4 keyboards with different switch plates from brass, aluminum, poly carbonate, and carbon fiber! :D

Would you say if I was going to go for Vintage Cherry MX Black/Brown or Zealious 62/65g I should go for aluminum switch plate?
Would brass too stiff for tactile switches and poly carbonate not as good as aluminum?

Very interesting.. never thought about all these before and this is making me a headache lol
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00

Offline ironpup

• Good feeling of oneness with cup rubber
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 10:03:55 »
No MODs? Still going to buy, but having MODs as an option would make life so much easier  :-\

Also I'm assuming if you're get the premium kit you don't need to add any stabilazers in the additional parts page?
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2017, 10:08:12 by ironpup »

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 10:07:57 »
What stabs or where are you sourcing those stabs? :D

Offline Saiph

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 10:08:56 »
Hmm that's interesting.
So I take the strongest/least flexible switch plate is NOT always the best and there are suitable/more preferred switch plates for different switches?

Poly carbonate is like the plastic that Samsung uses a lot on their phone, correct?

I wish someone had identical 4 keyboards with different switch plates from brass, aluminum, poly carbonate, and carbon fiber! :D

Would you say if I was going to go for Vintage Cherry MX Black/Brown or Zealious 62/65g I should go for aluminum switch plate?
Would brass too stiff for tactile switches and poly carbonate not as good as aluminum?

Very interesting.. never thought about all these before and this is making me a headache lol

So I haven't tried comparing identical boards, but I have tried putting tactile switches on my steel plate board and found that I didn't like it at all, and I didn't like linear switches until I tried them on that steel plate.

For the tactile switches(tried greens and zealios) I think the issue was bottoming out on steel felt really harsh and sudden.

Polycarbonate and carbon fiber should be more flexible than aluminum.

Offline nonah

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 10:19:22 »
Hmm that's interesting.

So I haven't tried comparing identical boards, but I have tried putting tactile switches on my steel plate board and found that I didn't like it at all, and I didn't like linear switches until I tried them on that steel plate.

For the tactile switches(tried greens and zealios) I think the issue was bottoming out on steel felt really harsh and sudden.

Polycarbonate and carbon fiber should be more flexible than aluminum.

Wouldn't the bottoming out be even harsher on a steel plate when using linear switches?

Offline Saiph

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 10:31:10 »

Wouldn't the bottoming out be even harsher on a steel plate when using linear switches?
I personally bottom out a lot harder on tactile switches than I do with linear switches. I think its because of the extra force I use to overcome the bump/click.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 10:43:49 »
Hopefully I'll have the funds for this.

Offline Saiph

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 10:46:04 »
On one hand I really like how the black looks on the sample, on the other hand I own too many black boards. Wish there was some way to see how the other colors would actually look, even on just small sample pieces of aluminum.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 10:50:39 »

I personally bottom out a lot harder on tactile switches than I do with linear switches. I think its because of the extra force I use to overcome the bump/click.

Here's a good diagram on common Cherry MX switch force curves:

So you're correct: the reason you bottom out harder on tactile switches is because you have to apply extra force to overcome the bump, which is followed immediately by a sharp drop in force required to continue the keypress.

Thinking about it this way, it makes sense that a stiffer plate would be better for linear switches. A stiff plate means the switch stays firmly in place, giving you a very consistent, linear force curve every time. A plate with more give, or no plate at all, means a less consistent force curve, but the curve is already inconsistent due to the bump, so what you really care about is the softer bottom-out.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 January 2017, 10:53:55 by riotonthebay »

Offline arsenics

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 10:51:32 »
So excited. I've been lurking and looking at everything Exent-related for the last couple of weeks... this looks really stunning. I read on the IC thread that factory assemble was a possibility – any idea as to how much would that increase the cost?