Author Topic: [GB] YAS62 | Shipped 100% (EXTRAS AVAILABLE)  (Read 198535 times)

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
Re: [GB] YAS62 | 60% PCB with arrow cluster (ORDER SUBMITTED)
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 11:45:31 »
If you are still considering the design of the case, I just came across this and maybe something like it would be interesting: http://duck0113.tistory.com/141

Seeing this case for the first time myself, but it seems like that style with the smaller diffuser parts might be a good compromise between people looking for a more "premium" case and people who still want the diffuser (it also looks a bit like your first render). It looks like it might be expensive though.

Anyway, thanks for your hard work on all of this

If we even approach Duck or LZ-level of quality on this case, it'd be bonkers awesome.  We already have a Leeku-involved plate.

I'd be fine with any high-profile case with blockers (pls no low-profile sandwich, it'd defeat the purpose of having a custom case for this in the first place).

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #201 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 11:48:21 »
If you are still considering the design of the case, I just came across this and maybe something like it would be interesting: http://duck0113.tistory.com/141

Seeing this case for the first time myself, but it seems like that style with the smaller diffuser parts might be a good compromise between people looking for a more "premium" case and people who still want the diffuser (it also looks a bit like your first render). It looks like it might be expensive though.

If we even approach Duck or LZ-level of quality on this case, it'd be bonkers awesome.  We already have a Leeku-involved plate.

I'd be fine with any high-profile case with blockers (pls no low-profile sandwich, it'd defeat the purpose of having a custom case for this in the first place).

FYI Leeku make this plate from LZ  :p
And of course i love high profile case and i consider to make diffuser just on left and right side so it will make not sandwich style.

Offline child

« Reply #202 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 12:50:20 »
Does the PCB support Holtite sockets? There is a GB running for them right now.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 13:06:04 »
- PCB $55, this is grossly overpriced. Guys, don't you see that?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 13:17:47 »

Comparing with what? Most sixty PCBs are priced at that range.

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 13:31:40 »
Does the PCB support Holtite sockets? There is a GB running for them right now.

I don't know it's support or not becuase i never us holtite before but pin hole size in this PCB is 1.6mm.

I know it's high price for PCB but i don't take to much profit in this GB since i can get dream layout on my 60% that's enough for me.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #206 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 14:01:06 »

How much should it cost in a GB then in your opinion?

I'm new to this hobby and one other popular 60% PCB out there cost $120 in a GB, yet I still think I may want to have it.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline zacheadams

« Reply #207 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 14:16:32 »

And of course i love high profile case and i consider to make diffuser just on left and right side so it will make not sandwich style.

Yeah, this is all gold.  I really am thrilled to be a part of this.  I can't wait to see designs for the case.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #208 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 15:20:12 »
Super stoked for the case!

The possible limit of how many will be made is really scary tho.
Since there seems to be loads of interest, can we maybe do 50 instead of 30 by any chance silent? xD

Offline zacheadams

« Reply #209 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 16:38:25 »

Since there seems to be loads of interest, can we maybe do 50 instead of 30 by any chance silent? xD

There appear to be 72 PCBs bought by 62 buyers - if we exclude those with unpaid invoices, it's 66 by 56 - I doubt 50/56 of the buyers will buy cases.  But I guess I don't care as long as I can get a case @__@

Offline teamrushpntball

« Reply #210 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 16:40:07 »
I'm not sure if I'd buy one. I had a wood 60 percent made for this pcb.

Then again, it does look pretty nice in the early renders.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 17:10:53 »

There appear to be 72 PCBs bought by 62 buyers - if we exclude those with unpaid invoices, it's 66 by 56 - I doubt 50/56 of the buyers will buy cases.  But I guess I don't care as long as I can get a case @__@

i made 69 PCB order to leeku and i know 30 pcs is not enough if we got a lot interest of cases but i don't wanna run it too much this time to make it going faster and you don't need to get hands on PCB and cases. Don't worry if this cases run faster and have good result i will break for 1 month and run again for v2.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #212 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 17:20:12 »

Please think about options to have openings for also the front and the back.  ;)
I'll be patiently waiting for your creation.  :thumb:
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #213 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 17:27:03 »

Please think about options to have openings for also the front and the back.  ;)
I'll be patiently waiting for your creation.  :thumb:

After i got 3d render i will post here and see how your's respon because this project for community and i want people who have idea can tell me if they have suggest to make it better or correct me if something missing. So people would be happy for what they will pay for and everyone can get what they need.  ;D

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #214 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 18:16:26 »
Thx a lot for all your efforts Silent <3

Patiently waiting aswell, and hyped for whenever we get to see the first case renders.

Offline Che.R.Ry

• geeks
« Reply #215 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 05:48:45 »

I do agree with this idea tho
Smaller diffuser will make the case feels much more "premium" IMO
Thx once again for @silentreader for making this GB :thumb:

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #216 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 16:32:51 »
If the case is anything like an Eagle/Viper I will be happy to sell you my soul for it. Still gutted about missing that and the massive wait there will be for the next round.

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #217 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 17:21:59 »
anyone similiar to autocad fault production check?
I send plate design from swillkb to leeku and leeku said LZ can't do this because got some fault productionon on this plate.
LZ can redraw file but for  universal only, and they can still use this design if it's already fixed or do this with risky of fault production.
So if everyone can help me here's file of plate i made from swill kb https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2HX8aUYDw85TE43RUtfX29wV2M

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #218 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 21:58:30 »

Yes i'm worried for plate moq now, hopefully we don't face any problem again and this GB going smooth.

I'm not sure for order more than 1pcs, i will raffle if i get much oder but for people who ordering YAS62 will be my priority.

Any updates on the plate situation?

Still looking for a vendor that will mfr all the different options but with a low enough MOQ that we can get them built?

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #219 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 22:19:20 »

Yes i'm worried for plate moq now, hopefully we don't face any problem again and this GB going smooth.

I'm not sure for order more than 1pcs, i will raffle if i get much oder but for people who ordering YAS62 will be my priority.

Any updates on the plate situation?

Still looking for a vendor that will mfr all the different options but with a low enough MOQ that we can get them built?

I just already paid all order to leeku yesterday and give all fixed plate design. So far we all in good track now  ;D

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 00:03:58 »
Just killing time with designing case. Stil bad design because i make it on sketchup and its hard to make poly on sketchup lol.

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 05:24:46 »
Got better render from my friend.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #222 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 07:59:13 »
Awesome Silent!
The case looks a bit too roundish overall imo, but maybe I'm just a fan of simple angular designs.

The render on page one looked very simple and clean for example.

Also is the case 9 degree angle?
Looks pretty steep to me

Offline Dystopia

« Reply #223 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 10:02:42 »
Just killing time with designing case. Stil bad design because i make it on sketchup and its hard to make poly on sketchup lol.

Show Image

Show Image

Looks good so far! I agree that the radius on the corners could be a bit smaller though, gives it a sharper look. Also, will there be blockers for the empty corners?

Offline breitling

« Reply #224 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 12:34:02 »
yeah it would be nice to see a two piece case where the top piece with bezel has some blockers for the .75u notches.

Offline zacheadams

« Reply #225 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 15:10:35 »
yeah it would be nice to see a two piece case where the top piece with bezel has some blockers for the .75u notches.

100% agreed.  And I second the sharpness comments, though I'd buy the case whether it's "sharp" or not.  I certainly liked the roundedness of the Exent.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #226 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 16:16:51 »
LOoking gOod!

Silent has his design style.  :thumb:

Would also like to know your blocked corner solution for this board, which makes all its difference from other boards.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
[GB] YAS62 | 60% PCB with arrow cluster (ORDER SUBMITTED)
« Reply #227 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 16:37:36 »
I can imagine that the 'closed' holes on the sides might also not be very practical from a machining standpoint.

Being closed of to the bottom, these could only be milled through the top acrylic inlay cutouts, which might be difficult or even worse require additional repositioning and milling from both sides rather then only milling from top and bottom.

Removing the bottom and back frame around the gaps on the side (so basically just having an overhang with acrylic inlays) would make things simpler by removing hard to reach areas and might even look better imo.

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #228 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 18:14:25 »
I can imagine that the 'closed' holes on the sides might also not be very practical from a machining standpoint.

Being closed of to the bottom, these could only be milled through the top acrylic inlay cutouts, which might be difficult or even worse require additional repositioning and milling from both sides rather then only milling from top and bottom.

Removing the bottom and back frame around the gaps on the side (so basically just having an overhang with acrylic inlays) would make things simpler by removing hard to reach areas and might even look better imo.
Yes i think about that too i will try to make it on another tools, sketchup not good for this case design lol.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #229 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 20:38:17 »
Liking the way the case is looking, but I have to agree that the 0.75u blockers absolutely have to built into the case. Technically I guess that wouldn't make them blockers, but I'd like to see those 0.75u spaces filled by the top plate of the case without any seams, etc.

For me that is the primary reason to get this case over a low profile design. If they aren't included then I don't really see the point.

If the case design turns out to be truly incredible then you can probably offer it with two different top plates, one for yas62 (run this first) and then a standard 60% top plate as a second run for people who just want a 60% case for a standard 60% pcb bottom row.

Offline zacheadams

« Reply #230 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 06:38:25 »
It's been two weeks since the last post and no IC for the case, any updates?

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #231 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 06:52:19 »
It's been two weeks since the last post and no IC for the case, any updates?

I'm still waiting leeku to give me prototype maybe next week because he still in SF now and back to korea this week.
For cases my design still not finish yet and i'm busy for last two week so maybe i will working on prototype sunday :))

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #232 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 07:36:45 »
Really should probably start an IC thread for the case. Going to get crowded in here with all of the case talk and people checking in on the status of the pcb GB.

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #233 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 08:26:06 »
Really should probably start an IC thread for the case. Going to get crowded in here with all of the case talk and people checking in on the status of the pcb GB.

Yep i will make another thread after i'm done with design  ;)

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #234 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 18:22:41 »
Hi guys,

It's been long time no update because i'm waiting leeku back from US before.
So i get timeline update's from leeku :
- Plate will be done on end of may
- And PCB will be done sooner than that. So if it's don't get any delay your order will be shipped out on early june.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 April 2017, 20:12:55 by silentreader »

Offline zacheadams

« Reply #235 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 19:34:40 »
Hi guys,

- Plate will be done in end of may
- And PCB will be done sooner than that. So if it's don't get any delay your order will be shipped out on eraly june.

Thanks!

Thanks for the update!

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #236 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 20:15:10 »
Hi guys,

- Plate will be done in end of may
- And PCB will be done sooner than that. So if it's don't get any delay your order will be shipped out on eraly june.

Thanks!

Thanks for the update!

Your welcome dude, beacuse if delay or not i stiil need to keep you guy's updated. I want give my best for this GB  ;D

Offline C7Kinetic

• /u/ADJ_Reflex
« Reply #237 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 01:51:34 »
Hi guys,

- Plate will be done on end of may
- And PCB will be done sooner than that. So if it's don't get any delay your order will be shipped out on early june.

Thanks!

Nice to see a timeline. Appreciate the update!

Offline menuhin

« Reply #238 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 06:33:40 »
Thanks for the update.

Please keep the case project alive, slowly but surely! :)
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #239 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 07:08:18 »

Nice to see a timeline. Appreciate the update!

Thanks!

Thanks for the update.

Sadly i'm out of money to make prototype lol :p

Offline menuhin

« Reply #240 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 08:15:00 »

Thanks for the update.

Sadly i'm out of money to make prototype lol :p

It depends on where you have your prototypes made.
It's pretty cheap if you seek help from some of those TaoBao CNC service. I am not saying that the CNC alu case GBs here are vastly over-priced, but in general, a CNC aluminium prototype case from TaoBao created from your own CAD cost definitely less than $250, or even less than $150. (FYI, more than one CNC service there quoted < $100 for keyboard case)
$150 is still money though.   :-*
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #241 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 00:35:15 »

Thanks for the update.

Sadly i'm out of money to make prototype lol

It depends on where you have your prototypes made.
It's pretty cheap if you seek help from some of those TaoBao CNC service. I am not saying that the CNC alu case GBs here are vastly over-priced, but in general, a CNC aluminium prototype case from TaoBao created from your own CAD cost definitely less than $250, or even less than $150. (FYI, more than one CNC service there quoted < $100 for keyboard case)
$150 is still money though.   :-*
yep that's still money i need to get a job to get money XD

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #242 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 07:38:29 »
Do you have any updates or maybe a timeline of when shipping will begin? Thanks!

Offline yasintahir

• Formerly silentreader
« Reply #243 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 07:49:57 »
Do you have any updates or maybe a timeline of when shipping will begin? Thanks!

it will be finish by end of may and will be ship in early june.

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #244 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 04:13:21 »
really happy i'm part of this GB :)

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #245 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 17:01:46 »

it will be finish by end of may and will be ship in early june.

Thanks! Super excited  ;D

Offline Shadowalker

« Reply #246 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 06:53:03 »
Craaaaap.

I just found this thread after getting into MK's recently.  This layout is like my perfect dream keyboard atm - 60% with a split spacebar :D

Is there going to be another GB sometime after this one? 

Or alternatively, if anyone gets their PCB and decides they don't want it, let me know - I'll be happy to buy it

Good luck with your boards guys!

Offline zacheadams

« Reply #247 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 10:38:36 »
Craaaaap.

I just found this thread after getting into MK's recently.  This layout is like my perfect dream keyboard atm - 60% with a split spacebar :D

Or alternatively, if anyone gets their PCB and decides they don't want it, let me know - I'll be happy to buy it

Follow this thread here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=84891.0

It's probably going to have more layouts that you'd be interested in.  The guy has had it in interest check a long time, but is a fantastic GB runner - did an Alps plate run in like 2-3 weeks from signup to delivery...

Offline dyoungc

« Reply #248 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 13:33:28 »
Craaaaap.

It's probably going to have more layouts that you'd be interested in.  The guy has had it in interest check a long time, but is a fantastic GB runner - did an Alps plate run in like 2-3 weeks from signup to delivery...

Banana split has a good branding and more people involved in the IC, but I think YAS is overall a better PCB. With banana split, there is a single spacebar configuration, while the YAS has something like 6 layouts just for the spacebar. Plus, manufacturing is managed in Korea by a reputable long-time member of the MK community. Silent said he originally started his design in response to the banana before they added their arrow cluster, but decided to keep it going bc the banana was also missing the "/ ?" key.
Depends on which layout you're looking for and whether you can get used to a remapped question mark.
Split spacebar layout is becoming more popular these days so if you can wait, I'm sure there will be similar designs coming out that will suit what you're looking for. There are also a few non-custom prebuilt boards out there if you search.

Hopefully, Silent can do R2 YAS. This is a great next-gen layout that doesn't compromise the classic elements of 60%, and I think it should be in everyone's hands. If the IC phase was longer and PCB had better brand image, I'm sure more people would have joined the GB.

Offline zacheadams

« Reply #249 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 15:51:11 »
Craaaaap.

Banana split has a good branding and more people involved in the IC, but I think YAS is overall a better PCB. With banana split, there is a single spacebar configuration, while the YAS has something like 6 layouts just for the spacebar. Plus, manufacturing is managed in Korea by a reputable long-time member of the MK community. Silent said he originally started his design in response to the banana before they added their arrow cluster, but decided to keep it going bc the banana was also missing the "/ ?" key.
Depends on which layout you're looking for and whether you can get used to a remapped question mark.
Split spacebar layout is becoming more popular these days so if you can wait, I'm sure there will be similar designs coming out that will suit what you're looking for. There are also a few non-custom prebuilt boards out there if you search.

Hopefully, Silent can do R2 YAS. This is a great next-gen layout that doesn't compromise the classic elements of 60%, and I think it should be in everyone's hands. If the IC phase was longer and PCB had better brand image, I'm sure more people would have joined the GB.

I'm not trying to disrespect Silent here, I just meant if the other individual wants their keyboard faster, it's likely the Banana Split will hit GB and arrive at their doorstep before R2 YAS.