Author Topic: Cooking with a Wok  (Read 15846 times)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Cooking with a Wok
« on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 15:05:51 »
Got a pretty heavy duty wok recently...been watching too many Asian food YouTube channels. :))

I seasoned the wok by getting it super hot with a man torch, then cooling it down with water. Then used some cooking oil all around it and let it sit at medium heat for about 10 minutes...

Made some pad thai for the first time, not bad..

Any GH'ers have any pro tips for Wok cooking at home??

:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Cooking with a Wok
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 15:07:21 »
This is the vanilla wok without any coating right ?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 15:08:29 »
This is the vanilla wok without any coating right ?

Its hammered steel, 16", very heavy, had the coating from the factory and I was told to burn it off.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 15:18:56 »
is it the silver kind or the black kind

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 15:20:23 »
is it the silver kind or the black kind

Silver

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 15:27:30 »
ok.. scrub it down with soapy water, use on of those slightly abrasive scrubbers, then rinse thoroughly, dry with paper towel..

Then GO OUTSIDE...

start heating it until it changes color , depending on the type of steel, it may turn -green/orange/purple/bluish-

Then let it cool a bit, not cold, just cooler, because you don't want to start a grease fire..

KEY, don't start a grease fire..

Now, turn the fire back on medium heat..   Add Lard, Ginger, Onions (chunky not thin)..

Swirl the oil around the entire surface, keep swirling until the onion and ginger turn BLACK..

DO NOT use soap to clean the wok, after you use it, just rinse and lightly scrub with water..

The residual oil will become the --patina-- in time..

NOW.... Tp4 am Sifo.. buh.... the more I think about it,  the more this -ancient way of cooking- seems carcinogenic..

Eitherway,  The cancer is age 55+ sort of thing.. so.. not a huge issue in the mean time.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 15:30:47 »
If you can't find lard,   then just buy pork belly, and chop it up and heat it all together with the aromatic veggies.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 15:31:46 »
also.. if you can ... 40,000 btu stove is what you need to unleash the full potential of a wok..

Edit_  it's 40 thousand, not 4 thousand.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 15:33:33 »
ok.. scrub it down with soapy water, use on of those slightly abrasive scrubbers, then rinse thoroughly, dry with paper towel..

Then GO OUTSIDE...

start heating it until it changes color , depending on the type of steel, it may turn -green/orange/purple/bluish-

Then let it cool a bit, not cold, just cooler, because you don't want to start a grease fire..

KEY, don't start a grease fire..

Now, turn the fire back on medium heat..   Add Lard, Ginger, Onions (not chopped too fine)..

Swirl the oil around the entire surface, keep doing it until the onion and ginger turn BLACK..

DO NOT use soap to clean the wok, after you use it, just rinse and lightly scrub with water..

The residual oil will become the --patina-- in time..

NOW.... Tp4 am Sifo.. buh.... the more I think about it,  the more this -ancient way of cooking- seems carcinogenic..

Eitherway,  The cancer is age 55+ sort of thing.. so.. not a huge issue in the mean time.

Wooohoo! Thanks! Yea, I really like it, super fun...I'm probably doing everything wrong but hey, gotta start somewhere.

I got this for my stove so I can be SUPA HAWT BOI!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-wok-mon-converts-your-home-burner-into-a-wok-range-solution.html

How do "your people" :D heat their wok's at home? Is there a special way to get your burner super hot?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 15:52:10 »
Generally,  way back when we didn't have gas, we had wood burning stoves, and it was capable of 50,000, even 100,000 btu if you had a practiced person tending the fire..   So families were able to do the giant fires at home.

But when we moved to piped gas,  cooking moved towards smaller flames, and people just made do, because all said and done, it's more convenient and safer than lighting a giant fire in the wood stove.

In the USA..  Tp4 just eats Ramen..

If you want to get serious,  they sell large camp stoves, or restaurant style stoves (100,000+ btu) for woks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cast-Iron-Propane-Wok-Burner-LP-Stove-100-000-BTU-/311378891578

If you get one of these , consider woking outside..  it evaporates ALOT of oil.. 

Stirfries will come out Far superior, because it's flash fried essentially, so it stays green and crisp..

But to achieve it, you need HEAT..

Offline Blackehart

• Booty Aficionado Extraordinaire
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 16:43:49 »
This infidel uses a 16" stainless steel wok.

i just swirl the oil around as it's heating.

I start cooking once the oil starts to smoke a bit.

call me uncouth :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 16:47:38 »
This infidel uses a 16" stainless steel wok.

i just swirl the oil around as it's heating.

I start cooking once the oil starts to smoke a bit.

call me uncouth :p

There's no rigid definition for woks..  so you can use whatever..

But the tradition is Carbon steel + Lots of oil + High Heat..

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 17:18:48 »
Generally,  way back when we didn't have gas, we had wood burning stoves, and it was capable of 50,000, even 100,000 btu if you had a practiced person tending the fire..   So families were able to do the giant fires at home.

But when we moved to piped gas,  cooking moved towards smaller flames, and people just made do, because all said and done, it's more convenient and safer than lighting a giant fire in the wood stove.

In the USA..  Tp4 just eats Ramen..

If you want to get serious,  they sell large camp stoves, or restaurant style stoves (100,000+ btu) for woks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cast-Iron-Propane-Wok-Burner-LP-Stove-100-000-BTU-/311378891578

If you get one of these , consider woking outside..  it evaporates ALOT of oil.. 

Stirfries will come out Far superior, because it's flash fried essentially, so it stays green and crisp..

But to achieve it, you need HEAT..

I was considering the outdoor burner then I remembered that would require taking all the food outside to cook. Back and forth, etc...think I'll keep it inside for now.

Tell you what though, you can easily make some not-so-horrible stir fry for a lot cheaper and healthier than going out to a restaurant. And it's more fun!

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
Cooking with a Wok
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 17:22:01 »
Get one of those outdoor propane turkey deep fryers and use the base of that to heat your wok. **** gets mighty hot. Just make sure you have everything chopped and ready to go before you even start cuz things are gonna happen fast.

EDIT: just saw your indoor post. Good luck if you have an electric range.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 17:26:19 »
Get one of those outdoor propane turkey deep fryers and use the base of that to heat your wok. **** gets mighty hot. Just make sure you have everything chopped and ready to go before you even start cuz things are gonna happen fast.

It's gas, thinking about taking that thing off that makes the flames go in a circle and then put this under it:

#OvenHack2017

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 17:28:52 »

It's gas, thinking about taking that thing off that makes the flames go in a circle and then put this under it:

Show Image

#OvenHack2017
Now you're cooking this gas!
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 17:35:01 »

Show Image

#OvenHack2017
Now you're cooking this gas!

Aaaannd I'm hungry...again.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 15:07:27 »
I think the trick with wok's is like a smoker, they get better with more cooking time.

Now I'm off to see if I should sign up for Amazon Fresh to get all the rare/hard-to-get Asian vegetables.. :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 16:06:22 »
I think the trick with wok's is like a smoker, they get better with more cooking time.

Now I'm off to see if I should sign up for Amazon Fresh to get all the rare/hard-to-get Asian vegetables.. :D

There are azn super markets near you --probably-- as long as you're not midwest.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 16:12:31 »

There are azn super markets near you --probably-- as long as you're not midwest.

Gas mileage + time away from computer / lazy = Amazon Fresh :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 16:13:20 »

Assuming Amazon Fresh, is actually Fresh.. I guess it's ok..

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 16:17:09 »

Assuming Amazon Fresh, is actually Fresh.. I guess it's ok..

We're gonna find out, just placed order. I will report back. If you're order is over $40, it's same day or next day delivery for $15 a month.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 18:47:09 »
i **** with woks
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 16:54:31 »
Calling TP and any other asian pee-poe!

So I think I need a hotter burner for my wok, the gas stove stop just isn't cutting it. Do any of you have an outdoor Wok burner?

From a quick browsing through the Amazon Primus and Flea Bay I don't see anything that would supply enough BTU's for that ultimate blowtorch-hot-wok experience.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 16:56:24 »

So I think I need a hotter burner for my wok, the gas stove stop just isn't cutting it. Do any of you have an outdoor Wok burner?

From a quick browsing through the Amazon Primus and Flea Bay I don't see anything that would supply enough BTU's for that ultimate blowtorch-hot-wok experience.

already posted this.. hahaha..  I don't think this can actually do 100,000 btu though, probably around 50-70k.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cast-Iron-Wok-LP-Burner-Fast-LP-Stove-100-000-BTU-/122068541126?hash=item1c6bda1ec6:g:OX0AAOSwYHxWLqmd

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 17:02:48 »

already posted this.. hahaha..  I don't think this can actually do 100,000 btu though, probably around 50-70k.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cast-Iron-Wok-LP-Burner-Fast-LP-Stove-100-000-BTU-/122068541126?hash=item1c6bda1ec6:g:OX0AAOSwYHxWLqmd

Oh snap!!! Next time I'll read better! haha!

So do I just make a table for that thing?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 17:12:30 »

you could.. or just put it ontop any stable metal patio table and you're g2g..

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 17:36:00 »

HEY BOI!! HOW BOU THIS?? 185K BTU!!! Yummm, and I can cut the top to hold the WOK, price is gooooot.

https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP10-High-Pressure-Outdoor/dp/B000291GBQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1492468453&sr=1-2&keywords=turkey+fryer

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 17:41:48 »

HEY BOI!! HOW BOU THIS?? 185K BTU!!! Yummm, and I can cut the top to hold the WOK, price is gooooot.

https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP10-High-Pressure-Outdoor/dp/B000291GBQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1492468453&sr=1-2&keywords=turkey+fryer

Um.. no.... not quite 185000 hahaha..

Take a look at this 200,000

I'm not saying the amazon linked one can't do it, but you probably need much higher psi regulators.. and even then I'm iffy about topping 100000

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 17:46:10 »

Um.. no.... not quite 185000 hahaha..

Take a look at this 200,000

I'm not saying the amazon linked one can't do it, but you probably need much higher psi regulators.. and even then I'm iffy about topping 100000

Yea, just read more reviews, apparently its only ~60k BTU's...I was looking at those jet burners too but none of them come in stand thing and I'm too scared to make anything custom when it comes to gas, etc.

Hmm, how about this? https://www.amazon.com/Portable-High-Pressure-Single-Burner-Adjustable-Regulator/dp/B01LTBH2UO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1492469279&sr=8-7&keywords=outdoor+burner
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 April 2017, 17:49:01 by digi »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 17:49:00 »

Yea, just read more reviews, apparently its only ~60k BTU's...I was looking at those jet burners too but none of them come in stand thing and I'm too scared to make anything custom when it comes to gas, etc.

as long as it's heavy enough to sit on a table. you should be fine..

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 18:05:52 »

For those of you joining #TeamBackyardWok, I ordered this one, I'll report back after my next Pad Thai session - https://www.amazon.com/Portable-High-Pressure-Single-Burner-Adjustable-Regulator/dp/B01LTBH2UO

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 20:38:09 »

For those of you joining #TeamBackyardWok, I ordered this one, I'll report back after my next Pad Thai session - https://www.amazon.com/Portable-High-Pressure-Single-Burner-Adjustable-Regulator/dp/B01LTBH2UO

should be powerful enough..

200,000 is @ the dangerous level..

it really all comes down to the regulator, for more btu, you need more psi..

The difference between burners is that the openings have to be designed for the pressure you're using..

So thats why they make different burners.. because the opening, air inlet,  gas to air mixture has to be tuned to a certain range..

If the mixture isn't right, you get alot of soot buildup.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 22:36:25 »
Typical yanks, wanting extra heat to cook anything  :)) .

Just pick a large Granite Rock embedded into the ground out here in Telfer and you'll see how quick a sirloin steak cooks at around mid day.

Also any eggs cracked onto the surface will cook inside of a minute as well, not bad when it comes to relying upon the elements to prepare your food for consumption out here in HELL  :thumb: .

The advantages of living out here is the almost instant prep of any flesh-based meal when exposed to our outback area, which we lovingly refer to as the Great Furnace.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 22:38:56 »
 :)) :)) :))

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 19:21:37 »
This sounds all so hardcore maaan. And I'm into cooking but this sounds like setting the house on fire.

When I think about cooking with a wok, I think like put the ****er on the biggest gas pit and burn that thing down, then do your cooking and adjust preparation time accordingly to how hot you manage to get the pan.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 21:10:29 »
Every single time I buy a wok it gets rusty. I dunno wtf I am doing wrong.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 21:12:02 »

Rust ?

Did you  season the wok before you started using it ?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 21:15:55 »

Rust ?

put some oil first and get it hot, try to let the wok get seasoned but instead they just always rust ???

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 21:21:44 »

Rust ?

put some oil first and get it hot, try to let the wok get seasoned but instead they just always rust ???

there's a slightly overlap between what the seasoned coating should look like and -- Rust..

Rust is like a bubble up unevenness..

The seasoned patina, should start blotchy blackish,  but it's not brownish red like rust..

You're also not supposed to wash the wok with soap/water like a normal pan..

Just scrub with bamboon brush, and rinse, that's it..

Because it's carbon steel rather than stainless..

A regular carbon steel (traditional) style wok will rust if you do soap and water and remove the oil from it.

A stainless steel wok, wouldn't be used the same way as the traditional wok. . 

A stainless steel wok is more/less an extra large frying pan..  It is not possible to accumulate the Wok Hei or Wok Chi, that normal woks will build over time.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 12:25:36 »
TP's advice is correct as usual. Make sure you're not using steel wool or soap to clean it, just hot water and a bamboo brush ($5 on Amazon). When you store it, leave a light coat of oil on the inside of it.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 16:19:51 »
So anyone who hasn't invested into a good wok & burner, you're really missing out. Asian market so cheap boi and you can make hao u wahnn so gooohhdh

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 16:41:05 »
So anyone who hasn't invested into a good wok & burner, you're really missing out. Asian market so cheap boi and you can make hao u wahnn so gooohhdh

I'm too scared to burn house down..

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 20:14:55 »

Outdoor burner! Burn your neighbors house down instead! :D

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 00:13:02 »

Sounds like a plan  :thumb: Mmm yeeahh... burn their fkking house down.

"In other news, last evening a person instigated total apocalypse by inappropriately using a wok, thereby setting planet Earth on fire. Rumor has it he goes by the name iLLucionist and he is a 'keyboard enthusiast' or whatever that may mean. We will keep you updated on further developments."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 01:43:55 »

"In other news, last evening a person instigated total apocalypse by inappropriately using a wok, thereby setting planet Earth on fire. Rumor has it he goes by the name iLLucionist and he is a 'keyboard enthusiast' or whatever that may mean. We will keep you updated on further developments."

.. Latest developments..

Several more neighborhoods surrounding recent arsonist --iLLuscionist's-- first strike has now been ablaze for many hours.

Firefighters from 20 neighboring counties have been called in for backup, but the line is still stretched thin.

Witnesses say this cloaked man had a manic look in his eyes and walks around carrying a modified flame thrower which resembles an outdoors wok burner..

Our physics correspondent points out that to get any range from this type of device requires at least 50 psi and a modified fuel source.  It is likely a home made variant of napalm. the very same and very deadly slow burning tar used during the late vietnam war.

Back to you jim..

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 11:42:26 »

.. Latest developments..

Several more neighborhoods surrounding recent arsonist --iLLuscionist's-- first strike has now been ablaze for many hours.

Firefighters from 20 neighboring counties have been called in for backup, but the line is still stretched thin.

Witnesses say this cloaked man had a manic look in his eyes and walks around carrying a modified flame thrower which resembles an outdoors wok burner..

Our physics correspondent points out that to get any range from this type of device requires at least 50 psi and a modified fuel source.  It is likely a home made variant of napalm. the very same and very deadly slow burning tar used during the late vietnam war.

Back to you jim..

AHAHAHA I'LL FLAME YOU ALL WITH MY GERMAN WOK.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 17:31:38 »

I thought germans only use woks for ice-luge

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 17:38:35 »

I thought germans only use woks for ice-luge

LOL, is that real?? His wok game is amazing!

LIVE BY THE WOK