Author Topic: [IC] Southpaw 65+, an Alps+MX 65% with a left hand numberpad (GB OPEN NOW)  (Read 69191 times)

Offline ktrezzi

Re: [IC] Southpaw 65+, an Alps+MX 65% with a left hand numberpad (Prototyping)
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 01:16:45 »
Can´t wait on the update! Looking great so far and sounds like an endgame board for me which I could take to work :)

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
« Reply #151 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 20:59:42 »
Hype it up

Raw Revised CNC Case

Bent Stainless Steel Plate

Stainless Plate - Satin/Blasted finish

(Detail)

Vendor just got the samples in from the factory this week and they're looking just as expected. There was a little miscommunication and I forgot to add switchtop removability but will have that done once the next round of samples come in. The alps plate will also be done at the same time. The factory that is being used for the steel plates is fufilling a GB at the moment so we are going to have to wait till they're done to get the next round of samples. Shouldn't be an issue though since QC as well as design is pretty much finalized and up to my standards. It's just functionality that we'll be testing for and that can be done without having those shipped here, saving us a considerable amount of time.

Another thing that I wanted to bring up is the interest in CNC case finishes. There's the standard satin/blasted anodized finish that will be available for the cases but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a raw CNC'd finish or a type 3 hard anodization for the cases. I am really liking the industrial look of the machine marks and the polished sections of the raw case, but I realize that it might not be for everyone. The type 3 hard anodization will cost a considerable amount more since it is a much more durable coating and will most likely need to be done at a different factory or here in the United States. It's the same type of anodization that's found on DLC finished knives, cycling components and gun lowers. It's extremely scratch resistant and yields something between a satin and gloss finish. Something to note though it will probably be done without the bead blast finish and will keep the machine marks, but finish them in a different color and completely remove any of the natural coloring that the aluminum has as a billet.

Edit: I'll most likely be bringing this to the November 11th Bay area mech meetup so if you want to take a look at it, I'll (hopefully) be there.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 September 2017, 21:03:17 by reconsiderit »
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline KorbenDallas

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 23:09:43 »
So what other colors were you considering?
I'm down with all options even the raw aluminum, it looks quite nice. If the additional cost isn't to high for the type 3 anodizing id prefer that over all but would be on board either way. thanks for the update!

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #153 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 01:02:37 »
So what other colors were you considering?
I'm down with all options even the raw aluminum, it looks quite nice. If the additional cost isn't to high for the type 3 anodizing id prefer that over all but would be on board either way. thanks for the update!

The colors are gonna be pretty standard and probably the same ones as those found on all the aluminum cases out there. The thing is though is that an MOQ of 10 units need to me met for each color. Judging from the current GB that I'm running, those colors are gonna be black, grey, and blue or red. Option wise, we'll have black, grey, silver, blue, red, yellow, and green.

The type 3 anodization will be the same or more than cerakote which is around $50. Not sure how many people would be interested at that price point, but I would certainly like to give it a go.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 02:17:14 »
Digging the unique layout. I'd love to see a sample of that type 3 hard anodization, that would be an unusual finish on a keyboard.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #155 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 11:53:19 »
That's a great looking wrap-around-plate. I know you've talked about different angled risers on the case, what will the angle of the plate be?
I'm unable to use anything above six, personally, and prefer 0 angle due to actually using my keyboards instead of looking at them all day  :p (It hurts my wrists, is the point...)

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #156 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 17:19:34 »
That's a great looking wrap-around-plate. I know you've talked about different angled risers on the case, what will the angle of the plate be?
I'm unable to use anything above six, personally, and prefer 0 angle due to actually using my keyboards instead of looking at them all day  :p (It hurts my wrists, is the point...)

I'm aiming for something in between the high and low angles of the aluminum case so it'll most likely be 6 or 8 degrees. The bent plate is being done by the factory themselves and I did tell them that I wanted a 6 degree incline if I recall correctly, but that will have to be looked over when it gets here. It also might change depending on how stiff the plate is. Might need to do some little changes here and there if it isn't stiff enough horizontally because that was an issue that I already had with the XD84. The only remedy that I had found for it would be to build it up with PCB mount switches which gave it a little more stiffness.

I'm trying to see if I can get a really simple wrist rest done in the same style as the bent plate at the moment since, in my head, it seems like something that wouldn't be too expensive and something that would look and work really well with the bent case.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 September 2017, 21:56:21 by reconsiderit »

switchplate.co

Offline Ammomruoy

« Reply #157 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 22:16:47 »
Looking good. When can i give my monies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #158 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 00:40:49 »
Looking good. When can i give my monies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soon... (I hope)

switchplate.co

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #159 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 08:14:41 »

I'm aiming for something in between the high and low angles of the aluminum case so it'll most likely be 6 or 8 degrees. The bent plate is being done by the factory themselves and I did tell them that I wanted a 6 degree incline if I recall correctly, but that will have to be looked over when it gets here. It also might change depending on how stiff the plate is. Might need to do some little changes here and there if it isn't stiff enough horizontally because that was an issue that I already had with the XD84. The only remedy that I had found for it would be to build it up with PCB mount switches which gave it a little more stiffness.

I'm trying to see if I can get a really simple wrist rest done in the same style as the bent plate at the moment since, in my head, it seems like something that wouldn't be too expensive and something that would look and work really well with the bent case.
Great. Worst case scenario, I can put something under the front legs.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #160 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 10:26:39 »
The rigidity of the bent case could be improved removing the cut outs at the bottom of it.

Offline Softkore

« Reply #161 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 12:57:03 »
This is absolutely gorgeous, and I know this is almost blasphemy to ask... but is there any chance at all that this will ever exist in a right-hand numpad version? I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #162 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 23:31:27 »
This is absolutely gorgeous, and I know this is almost blasphemy to ask... but is there any chance at all that this will ever exist in a right-hand numpad version? I would buy it in a heartbeat.

numpad on right side?
if so, it did exist and I guess you missed it: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90060.0

Offline Softkore

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 06:59:26 »

numpad on right side?
if so, it did exist and I guess you missed it: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90060.0

Yeah, the UK78 was the case I wanted. Unfortunately I wasn't even into the hobby at the time. I've been posting mehmarket threads hoping someone wants to sell theirs.

There's a few other cases in the same format, but they all have fatal flaws in my opinion. I wan an aluminum case without a bunch of acrylic light strips. I also want a case without a space/blocker between the numpad and the rest of the keys.

• Redscarf II ver.D - Acrylic case
  • Duck Lightsaver - All about the acrylic light strips
  • PrimeKB - Weird chamfered corners and nonstandard key sizes
  • Vortex ViBE - Looks like possibly a small space between numpad and rest of keys? Not sure on this one

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #164 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 00:16:10 »
Samples are in!

Complete Album Here:  https://imgur.com/a/cpIdF

Aluminum Case

Compared to the stuff I've seen in the past, the quality of the CNC case is pretty good. Tiny little nick from the CNC machine, but the scratches are there from being passed around to a million people. Nice sharp machining lines and clean threads. One of the second set of feet were machined a little hastily though (looks like they weren't secured down tight enough) and the finish was pretty rough but that's something that I'll make sure to note when this goes into production.

The raw cnc texture on the case is pretty awesome. Sorta like a pearlescent finish that becomes a rainbow in bright daylight. The finish seems to be a little more scratch prone than the traditional anodization, but not by much. It is somewhat of a fingerprint magnet though being a semi-mirror finish.

A little change has to be made to the USB port though since it's too narrow. I'll probably go ahead and widen the whole opening instead to stepping it since it looks a little cleaner.

Bent Steel Plate, Steel Case, Steel Plate

These are done by the same factory as that of the XD60 and XD84. Same solid quality. The issue with flex on the bent plate that I had feared earlier isn't there since the front edge of the plate was brought a lot lower than with the 60 and 75 percent keyboards. Acrylic diffuser is a hair narrower than the last and makes fitting it a million times easier. The USB slot is now a rounded cutout instead of the square.

The designer also did an integrated plate/case with this one. I wasn't expecting much but the build is really nice and solid. The surfaces around the sides are layered over twice and it weighs a little less than the aluminum case and plate.

PCB
This is the first revision of the PCB without the SP ALPS ISO enter. Quality wise, everything looks good and all of the layouts look to be there. I'll need to double check 7u and 6u spacebar layouts again though.

Summary
Green light on quality and design. I'll build another updated interest check on price and other technicalities this week when I get a second round of price estimates from the vendor.

switchplate.co

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #165 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 00:16:51 »
that alu case is pretty nice
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #166 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 00:33:43 »
I like the acrylic/bent plate! This looks great!

Offline KorbenDallas

« Reply #167 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 01:12:42 »
Everything looks great so far, I'm loving the aluminum Hi pro case! Are you still considering the type 3 hard anodizing or just sticking with standard?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #168 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 07:46:59 »
The bent steel "case" looks great and I'd be in for a set or two with one of those.

Offline reconsiderit

Re: [IC] Southpaw 65+, an Alps+MX 65% with a left hand numberpad (Second IC)
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 22:07:11 »
Alright, new IC form is live. Updated questions and final preferences.

https://goo.gl/forms/2SjXkm33ZVYebQOj1

switchplate.co

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #170 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 22:19:42 »
Which one is the Integrated Case Kit? I'm interested in the Bent Steel Plate, Steel Case, Steel Plate - the one on 4 an d 5 pictures under "Bent Steel Plate, Steel Case, Steel Plate". Which option is that in the IC form?                                                   

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #171 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 23:22:53 »
Which one is the Integrated Case Kit? I'm interested in the Bent Steel Plate, Steel Case, Steel Plate - the one on 4 an d 5 pictures under "Bent Steel Plate, Steel Case, Steel Plate". Which option is that in the IC form?                                                   
-

Picture 4, 5, and 6 are the integrated steel case on the IC form.

switchplate.co

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #172 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 23:25:02 »
-

Picture 4, 5, and 6 are the integrated steel case on the IC form.

I'm in for one. Thanks.

Offline lzlzh035

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 00:18:29 »
In. Start waiting now.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #175 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 04:05:03 »
What's the angle of the integrated steel case?

If my math skills are still sharp, should be around 4.5 degrees

switchplate.co

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 05:53:41 »
Interest: Check!

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #177 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 12:38:53 »
Super in

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Offline ktrezzi

« Reply #178 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 14:06:59 »
So stoked, count me in!

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #179 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 14:28:49 »
What's the angle of the integrated steel case?

If my math skills are still sharp, should be around 4.5 degrees
Perfect! That's my choice, then :)

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #180 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 14:59:39 »
just had a great time talking to Xiudi about this board. It looks great. For that price I'm in for sure.

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #181 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 15:10:50 »
reconsiderit can you please names on the pictures in OP?

I have a very hard time trying to guess what's what in the Interest Form. I think it would help everyone a lot!

I for one would really appreciate it.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 19:20:12 »
reconsiderit can you please names on the pictures in OP?

I have a very hard time trying to guess what's what in the Interest Form. I think it would help everyone a lot!

I for one would really appreciate it.

Cleared up the form earlier and added an album with labeled pictures so it would be easier. Linked below to clear things up here too.

https://imgur.com/a/TbVG0

switchplate.co

Offline tigerali

« Reply #184 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 04:30:48 »
Total newbie question: would it be possible to do left and right arrow clusters and a left side OS key on any of the layouts?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #185 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 07:22:55 »
Total newbie question: would it be possible to do left and right arrow clusters and a left side OS key on any of the layouts?

The layouts with arrow clusters in both sides have two modifier keys at the left only, one can be use for alt, the other can be your OS key and caps lock could be your control key; but, you cannot have alt, control and os keys at the left.

Offline tigerali

« Reply #186 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 16:39:48 »
Thank you! Second dumb question: what kits would I need from the Legacy drop https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-dsa-legacy-custom-keycap-set?mode=guest_open for this keyboard?

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #187 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 17:06:29 »
Thank you! Second dumb question: what kits would I need from the Legacy drop https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-dsa-legacy-custom-keycap-set?mode=guest_open for this keyboard?

you can always wait for another reply but to fill the board looks like you need the following kits

Base
Mods
extras

The kits while not sure cheap have pretty nice coverage ^_^ I am basing this off the photos that where posted by OP

Offline tigerali

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 20:53:13 »

you can always wait for another reply but to fill the board looks like you need the following kits

Base
Mods
extras

The kits while not sure cheap have pretty nice coverage ^_^ I am basing this off the photos that where posted by OP

Seems like I'd need the Numpad too?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #189 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 21:10:58 »

Base
Mods
extras

Seems like I'd need the Numpad too?

Looks like the alphas includes everything for the numpad, save for the numlock, /, *, + and enter which are included in the mods.

switchplate.co

Offline tigerali

« Reply #190 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 21:12:03 »
Fantastic.

Also, you're in Sunnyvale? My office is out there   :)

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #192 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 22:03:24 »
Fantastic.

Also, you're in Sunnyvale? My office is out there   :)

Yep, right in the middle of sunnyvale.

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #193 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 22:05:33 »
When are you planing to start the GB?

I don't want to give any exact dates since I have a lot at school at the moment and want to completely finish my last GB before starting this one so sometime between the 28th of this month and the 4th of next month and will run it to the 1st of december. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 October 2017, 22:18:35 by reconsiderit »

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #194 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 00:54:14 »
Alright, just a little heads up, but I'm almost done with website setup and all so expect the GB to open this week or next week. Also, the plates have been updated with the feature of switch top removal. 

switchplate.co

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #195 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 20:26:59 »
Is the purpose of the acrylic defuser for PCB protection, since I don't think there is underglow support?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #196 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 20:41:50 »
Is the purpose of the acrylic defuser for PCB protection, since I don't think there is underglow support?
Hmm, I think I completely forgot to mention that, but there is RGB Underglow for this, but yeah, also for PCB support.

switchplate.co

Offline forumusername

« Reply #197 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 20:49:43 »
Please, take my money!

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #198 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 16:14:57 »
For those of you planning to build this up with Alps switches, what are you planning on using for keycaps?  I've been watching this IC for a while, but only recently started to consider an Alps build.  I see that Tai Hao and Matias both make sets for a 100%, but those are missing the less common keys you need for a 65% (1U ctrl, alt, fn, 1.75U right shift, etc.).  Signature Plastics' DSA Alps Granite would work, but they've discontinued it and are out of stock of the alphas.  I suppose you could get a Tai Hao or Matias set for the alphas and mix in some Granite modifiers where needed, but the profile differences seem like they'd be annoying.  I hope there's a better option.

So what are you planning on using?

Offline GreyAmbience

« Reply #199 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 00:49:22 »
Hmm, I think I completely forgot to mention that, but there is RGB Underglow for this, but yeah, also for PCB support.

That is so freaking awesome!
Will the underglow be able to shine though the alu case though?