Author Topic: HHKB Fn Key Placement  (Read 5741 times)

Offline DWawa

HHKB Fn Key Placement
« on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 23:59:06 »
Why a pinky key rather than a thumb key? The HHKB layout makes you travel farther and less intuitively to find the Fn key, and you have to use a weak finger. It does make it easy to combine shift with Fn (ring finger and pinky), but that's the only advantage that pops out at me. The spacebar-adjacent Fn key on V60, Pure, and others means both your thumb and your other fingers travel less far to operate an arrow-home-end cluster; you're using a strong finger; you can still easily combine shift with Fn (thumb and pinky); and your fingers are nearer your original hand placement when you're done using the function layer. I know that the HHKB comes out of much study, so I am hesitant simply to throw over the decision of Dr. Wada. The default "right thumb key" on the HHKB is a right Windows key, though; this is duplicated on the left and is, at least for me, a very low-use key to begin with. Certainly Fn takes precedence here. For those who have used both set-ups, is there something about the pinky key you prefer? Of course you can "get used to it," but does it have any natural advantage in efficiency or ease of use, apart from any barrier you can compensate for with muscle memory? I can't help thinking that this trademark of the HHKB is some sort of historical mistake now regarded as gospel.

Offline vvp

Re: HHKB Fn Key Placement
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 09:11:02 »
Because people think they need a big ass space bar
... despite multiple smaller thumb keys being better.
It is hard to break old habits.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 11:28:47 »
The original HHKB didn't have an Fn key; that's PFU's addition (along with the layer) that makes the product friendlier to mainstream users.

Offline DWawa

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 18:18:10 »
That makes so much sense. This bonus key is great for keymapping (on a non-HHKB keyboard I use I like it for F11), but it is not ideal--as far as I can tell--for Fn. It's funny that when users say they love the layout, they never mention the weak finger assignment of Fn, which is as important as the smart relocation of control and backspace. My HHKB (which came to me not secondhand but thirdhand, meaning at least two other users were not satisfied) would already have a new layout flashed to Hasu's controller if I could figure out a glitch in the install process.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 18:36:26 »
Well, the diamond arrow cluster combined with this Fn placement is intriguing and by no means mindless.

In addition, Pro JP and Lite have an extra Fn key on the other side of the spacebar, and even ANSI Pro allows using a DIP switch to sacrifice one Super key in favor of additional Fn.

Overall, though, it's not an integral part of the original design (the intended use case was different, after all) and it's kinda rough on the ANSI Pro model, esp. when accessing Fx keys on the number row.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 18:49:08 »
to be fair, there is a HHKB JP.

Just buy that.

I personaly love the fn key on the HHKB