Author Topic: New to mechanical keyboards - seeking advice  (Read 1701 times)

Offline lrz

New to mechanical keyboards - seeking advice
« on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 07:10:14 »
Hey everyone,

so I've decided to take the next step with keyboards and buy a good one for once.
The last mechanical keyboard I had was decades ago.
Over the last years I've always settled for a cheap 20 EUR keyboard, usually from Cherry (current one: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41QDc5D5ENL.jpg ). I always thought they're good enough.
Well, they might be, but better is always better, right?

So I'm now looking for a really good mechanical keyboard. I have already researched quite a bit but wanted to hear some more opinions.
Here's what I'm looking for roughly:
- Mechanical keyboard, < 200 EUR (I'd also go higher than that if I were already sure that it's the keyboard of my dreams)
- Layout: German (I actually type mostly with US QWERTY layout and insert the German special characters via custom AltGr shortcuts, but I still need the German layout when typing a longer text or so). I also wanted to try out the Colemak layout but that's not certain yet.
- It should be relatively flat. In the past I did get very slight RSI pain once when using a keyboard that was slanted a bit, so to avoid this becoming more serious I need a flat keyboard. Never had an issue since switching to a flat keyboard (and keeping the stands down).
- It should have high build quality overall. Spill resistance would be nice to have too
- The keycap labels should not wear off after a while, so I guess PBT keycaps?
- Switches should have relatively low resistance. I do play games a lot, one game even competitively, so I am a big gamer. But I also type a lot (especially code/scripts). So I was thinking either Cherry MX Red or Cherry MX Brown switches.
- It must not be too loud when typing. It doesn't have to be super silent, a bit of audible feedback when typing is nice I guess, but definitely not too loud.
- It should have 6 key rollover
- Backlighting would be cool, but not 100% necessary
- Numberpad would be cool but not 100% necessary
- I don't need any extra stuff like integrated USB ports or special multimedia keys

Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline antquinonez

Re: New to mechanical keyboards - seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 10:18:29 »
If you can get a keyboard with German keycaps, great. Otherwise, buy a Cherry-based or Cherry keycap compatible keyboard and buy yourself a set of German keys -- that way you have options across a wide set of keyboards. Consider trying out a keyboard before buying it. These things are expensive and you probably don`t want to throw good money at something that doesn't work for you - - see if there are keyboard Meetups or get togethers in your area.

Offline Auk

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 10:39:58 »
GMK uniqey is German and they are now selling some really nice looking keyboards with 0° profile and extendable feet that also allow a negative profile. There is a good selection of keyset colors and ISO or ANSI options to choose from. 

Did you have a preference for size? Tenkeyless and 60% tend to be more popular than full size.

...I also wanted to try out the Colemak layout...

It might be too much of a leap right now, but if you want quality keycaps with a Colemak option then you might consider doubleshot ABS from GMK - it's the original Cherry style and the legends won't wear off. Colemak is now possible with these, you should check out the Nautilus custom keyset that's available right now on Massdrop.

This is only the second* time (I think) that the extra Colemak keys have been offered in the GMK Cherry profile keyset. The Norde kit also contains German layout keys.

*Yuri keyset was first, it should be available on the Laser set next
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 July 2017, 10:44:24 by Auk »

Offline lrz

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 06:23:52 »
Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep them coming. ;)
uniqey looks indeed nice but it's maybe a little expensive for the 1st one. I was preferring the < 200 EUR range. Maybe I'll reconsider, but yeah.