Author Topic: Splitting the spacebar  (Read 5488 times)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Splitting the spacebar
« on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 07:32:19 »
Now that GMK is offering 2u convex spacebars, how would you gentlemen split 6.25u and 7u spacebars to fill the gap?
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Auk

Re: Splitting the spacebar
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 07:37:48 »
Easy to say, harder to follow through, but: we need a GB for compatibility and spacebars on other sizes, I imagine 3u would be high on that list.

Can anyone confirm just what the price of a new mold is at GMK?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 07:38:45 »
Can anyone confirm just what the price of a new mold is at GMK?
Can't confirm but, last I read, around 5.000 USD.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Auk

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 08:06:51 »
Can't confirm but, last I read, around 5.000 USD.

:)) now I read $500, $3000 and $5000.

This is a tangent anyway from your original question. The answer is I would probably come to different conclusions dependent on the purpose of the keyboard. If I am building a keyboard that will be used for gaming I would check my thumb reach without leaving WASD and adjust the key sizes to make 3-4 comfortably within  reach.

For regular typing probably start with Colemak layout and look for an arrangement that is more symmetrical and equally comfortable on both thumbs.

« Last Edit: Thu, 06 July 2017, 08:13:22 by Auk »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 08:07:16 »
6.25 => 1.25 - 2 - 2 - 1 (the 1u key placement is kind of arbitrary; it could be in the middle, or anywhere among 1.25u modifiers)

The extra 1.25 key on the left would be really helpful. Kind of like the big Command key on Apple keyboards.

7 => 1.5 - 2 - 2 - 1.5

I actually use something like this right now, and the extra large modifiers are very helpful, once again. I really struggle with reaching for Alt on winkeyless keyboards.

IMHO easy-to-reach Alt (or whatever they're mapped to) keys are as big win as a split spacebar imho.

I haven't really thought about switch/stabilizer holes on the PCB/plate, though, and maybe my ideas can't be implemented on a backward-compatible PCB.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 July 2017, 08:08:52 by davkol »

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 10:09:55 »
my current configuration:
6.25 => 2.75 (Space), 1.25 (Fn), 2.25 (Shift)

you know that right Shift is 1 column away, you will have to move your hand to use it, right?
I put my right Shift in the split spacebar, and hit it with my right thumb. (before, my right thumb is useless).

though it did take a bit of time to... "transition" from regular spacebar to split spacebar.

my PCB is JC65.  ;)

6.25 => 1.25 - 2 - 2 - 1 (the 1u key placement is kind of arbitrary; it could be in the middle, or anywhere among 1.25u modifiers)

The extra 1.25 key on the left would be really helpful. Kind of like the big Command key on Apple keyboards.

7 => 1.5 - 2 - 2 - 1.5

I actually use something like this right now, and the extra large modifiers are very helpful, once again. I really struggle with reaching for Alt on winkeyless keyboards.

IMHO easy-to-reach Alt (or whatever they're mapped to) keys are as big win as a split spacebar imho.

I haven't really thought about switch/stabilizer holes on the PCB/plate, though, and maybe my ideas can't be implemented on a backward-compatible PCB.

good point about Alt key,
before my left hand is placed a bit on the left side of the home key F, so reaching Alt is not a real problem.
now for the split spacebar, my left thumb has to reach the Fn key so I must place my left hand a bit further to the right side, reaching Alt is harder now :(

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 11:31:59 »
you know that right Shift is 1 column away, you will have to move your hand to use it, right?
I put my right Shift in the split spacebar, and hit it with my right thumb. (before, my right thumb is useless).

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 22:45:08 »
Show Image

oh, nice!  :thumb:

I will try this when I have the chance.