Author Topic: [IC] Custom DYE SUB for PBT keycaps  (Read 10304 times)

Offline keykaboo

[IC] Custom DYE SUB for PBT keycaps
« on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 10:41:41 »
Hi fellow keyboard enthusiast!

After doing the initial IC on r/mm 5 days ago, I received lots of feedbacks and interest from the community!

Link to the r/mm thread https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/775l3r/ic_custom_dye_sub_service_updates_pricing_and/

I have spoken to the vendor and finalize the details for this service.

About the Vendor
The service will be provided by everglide, the vendor based in China.
They have been in the market for years and they are primarily focusing on keyboard assembly and accessory manufacturing. They are the ones that put together the GK64!
The new technology has opened the opportunity for basically everyone to design a keyset and own something truly their! I am equally excited as everyone else here!
Some information about this technology, the keycap used will be Cherry Profile in 1.4mm thick PBT. The dye sub will penetrate .03-.05mm, leaving it permanent.
For every design, an unique tool and ink mixture will be made to achieve the desired outcome. There is probability of failure involved and hence the pricing is not as low as I hope it would be.
This is a custom dye set, if you are 100% particular about the color, please refrain from ordering. Slight color variation is expected.
Here are some sample set - https://imgur.com/a/XiJfG
Here is what you can choose from - https://imgur.com/a/vJyaS
If you order less/more than what is included in the full set, there will be price adjustments

NEW Sample Set - https://imgur.com/a/I0x1c

Link to AI file for submission- https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2HvNHVaQ0pddUdLMEtXa1BXdXc

Latest r/mm post- https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/7apbfc/artisancustom_pbt_dye_sub/

Pricing
There will be 2 different pricing options, please take sometime to read through and understand them. I decided to run it this way to that there will be community engagement and protection of the designer rights. All other suggestions are welcomed!
For NO MOQ Orders, initial set, $140USD including shipping.
We understand that this is pricy and not many users will want to do this.Due to the failure rate involved, this is unfortunately the price that we have to quote. For all future buyers, you will be invoiced $100 including shipping and fees.

UPSIDE! For subsequent 20 orders, made by any community members, the designer/starter will receive a rebate of $3 per set! So your effective total cost is $80USD.
You can also choose to keep the order private

In addition, /u/Komatoz has kindly agreed to be the US proxy for low MOQ service.
1. When you submitted an order, /u/Komatoz will list it up on her store upon request
2. Keyset starter will have to confirm payment before the listing goes up
3. Listing will last for a week and community members can order.
4. Everyone who decide to join the set will be asked for payment immediately by shopify (Paypal or Stripe), the platform that Komatoz’s store is built upon.
5. Set will begin production at the end of 7days or when the starter decides to do so
6. Rebates for keyset started will be credited within 30days

Why run this through another user, other than yourself?
1. I want to have an additional layer of QC
2. It is more cost effective for low MOQ orders.
3. A US based correspondent will be able to meet the needs of the community better

For Designers
For designers who wish to keep their designs exclusively to themselves, I have come up with a plan as well.
MOQ of 50 or more sets. You will submit the design, I will quote you based on the complexity. All pricing will be kept confidential, you will run your own IC and collect the orders. Cost will definitely be lower. *If you wish to engage /u/Komatoz for help for running a GB, do PM her in person.
What will happen from here is that after payment, you will receive a full set sample before mass production. Upon confirmation, the set will be produced and we will NOT re-run it unless you have given us the permission to do so.
Please do note that this technology is available to everyone with the resources, others may decide to duplicate your design and that is beyond our control.
All above mentioned services include the 1.4mm thick PBT blank keycaps.

For ONLY DYE SUB Servicing

For everyone else that wish to send in their own Cherry profile keycaps for dye sub service please note the following.
1. Initial set cost is $130 (excluding the cost of keycaps)
2. We will run the trials on our own keycaps, however, in the event of failure, we will not be responsible.
3. Only blanks can be send in for servicing
4. In the event that it failed, you can wish to dye it all over again
5. If you wish to dye it again, charges apply.

Lead time - 4 weeks maximum. Sets will be send out whenever it is ready.

If you have any suggestions, feel free to PM me or leave them in the comments.

Edits:
Confirmed that we will be adding in SA/DSA profile keycaps for dye subbing. Pricing to be determined, doing trials now.

Added new sample and link to AI file for DIY

7U and other keys will be available but at the higher cost
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 December 2017, 05:22:03 by keykaboo »

Offline lecorsair

Re: [IC] GK6X/7X layouts and specs
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 11:39:25 »
Hmm. Tough one, voted for GK7X, but the GK75 with per switch RGB is also a want.

Offline keykaboo

Re: [IC] GK6X/7X layouts and specs
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 05:53:06 »
Hey!

I think GK75 will most likely win but I am negotiating for a GK7X PCB deal as well.

But case wont be available.

Do you think that will be an issue?

Offline keykaboo

Re: [IC] GK64 Keyset (Compatible with GH60)
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 10:31:47 »
Updated with keyset IC.

Offline keykaboo

Re: [IC] GK64 Keyset (Compatible with GH60)
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 09:23:38 »
Update with latest information

Offline arcsay

Re: [IC] GK64 Keyset (Compatible with GH60) and Case option update
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 10:08:08 »
I'll take a wooden case for my board ;)  :thumb:

Offline keykaboo

Re: [IC] 60% Key Set/Feedback for GK64 + Survey for GK6X. Please help!
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 August 2017, 10:12:55 »
Installing screws now!

Will follow up accordingly!

Offline keykaboo

Re: [IC] Custom DYE SUB for PBT keycaps
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 00:18:34 »
Changed topic to custom dye sub service

Offline keykaboo

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 11:22:58 »
updated with new sample keyset.

Cherry profile. 129 Keys.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 12:57:38 »

I think this is very nice, but I don’t fully understand when or where to order.  Is there a link to the proxy that Kumatzo is hosting?  I don’t know who that is. 

Offline keykaboo

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 13:20:08 »

I think this is very nice, but I don’t fully understand when or where to order.  Is there a link to the proxy that Kumatzo is hosting?  I don’t know who that is.

Are you looking to buy the sample set?

I am awaiting some interest from the community to see if it can become a GB. Else I will put in someone’s store and just sell individually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 13:30:13 »
I am interested in designing my own set with custom legends.  I hope this can become a group buy in the future. 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 14:11:03 »
No 7u?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline keykaboo

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 14:12:46 »
No 7u?
7U will not be manufactured by us. But it is available

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 15:09:06 »
No 7u?
7U will not be manufactured by us. But it is available

sweet, thanks
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline keykaboo

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 07:48:54 »
Edited, original post restored
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 December 2017, 05:25:16 by keykaboo »

Offline JDragon

Re: [IC] EG Sakura
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 12:20:27 »
Posted this on reddit also, but I'd like to order a gold on black set with standard Cherry legends (or maybe centered legends like in the Sakura set). How do I place my order?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 12:30:50 »
this post confused me b/c the thread was originally for custom dye sub sets, as you can see a few posts above.  If you want to do an IC, it would probably be best to start another thread or make it obvious that you've change the contents and title of this one.

I like what I can see as far as quality and centered legends on cherry profile.  I'm not a fan of the feminine character of this particular set, but I'm sure some people will like it.

Offline keykaboo

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 13:16:02 »
this post confused me b/c the thread was originally for custom dye sub sets, as you can see a few posts above.  If you want to do an IC, it would probably be best to start another thread or make it obvious that you've change the contents and title of this one.

I like what I can see as far as quality and centered legends on cherry profile.  I'm not a fan of the feminine character of this particular set, but I'm sure some people will like it.

Hmm I always thought I would update on the same post.

I will do that later. Sorry about the confusion

Offline keykaboo

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 16 December 2017, 05:23:27 »
Added current sets and some of the work done by EG.

EG Sakura:

Full Album:  https://imgur.com/a/jVsbp

Custom Order for Space Cat:

Offline LastBrat

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 07:56:57 »
I'm very much interested, but have  few questions:
- When will DSA be available, and what cap sizes can we get dye subbed?
- I see a lot of misalignment of legends in the photos: is that to be expected, and can it be helped? This one is kind of important for me, if I wanted to sell my design.
- How much would it cost to run an ortho set, with only 1u caps (around 90 of them) in DSA profile?
- Will there be 2u and 1u DSA spaces (convex) available?
- The provided .AI file is not useful when it comes to submitting the graphics, what size and shape do the 2D submitted images need to be, and how exaclty will the image be "wrapped" around the keycap? I would like to see an exapmple image and a photo of the keycap with that image dye subbed.
- Do you want the submitted image in rgb or cmyk?
- Will there be an EU proxy?
- What base color caps can you provide, will they all be white, so if you want beige for instance, you'd need to dye them?

Thanks a bunch for answering, I'm looking forward to  running a set by you :)

Offline ullr

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 10:29:44 »
I don't think $140 is too crazy, especially since you're offering a lower price for fewer keys.

It's the fact that we eat the cost if something goes wrong that makes me hesitate.

Like the other commenter I am also concerned about off-center prints.

Offline keykaboo

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 20:26:54 »
I don't think $140 is too crazy, especially since you're offering a lower price for fewer keys.

It's the fact that we eat the cost if something goes wrong that makes me hesitate.

Like the other commenter I am also concerned about off-center prints.

Hey.

Thanks for the interest.

The Sakura set is just the first round of sample.

The dye sub positionings will be fixed.

As everyset will have some misalignment, this is where the purchase for more sets comes from, we can replace the misaligned ones from other sets.

Rest assured what you get will be aligned

Offline keykaboo

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 20:30:24 »
I'm very much interested, but have  few questions:
- When will DSA be available, and what cap sizes can we get dye subbed?
- I see a lot of misalignment of legends in the photos: is that to be expected, and can it be helped? This one is kind of important for me, if I wanted to sell my design.
- How much would it cost to run an ortho set, with only 1u caps (around 90 of them) in DSA profile?
- Will there be 2u and 1u DSA spaces (convex) available?
- The provided .AI file is not useful when it comes to submitting the graphics, what size and shape do the 2D submitted images need to be, and how exaclty will the image be "wrapped" around the keycap? I would like to see an exapmple image and a photo of the keycap with that image dye subbed.
- Do you want the submitted image in rgb or cmyk?
- Will there be an EU proxy?
- What base color caps can you provide, will they all be white, so if you want beige for instance, you'd need to dye them?

Thanks a bunch for answering, I'm looking forward to  running a set by you :)

1. DSA dye subs will not be available right now as we do not have so many blank DSA caps to dye sub.

2. The alignment issues are limited to the samples, finished sets will not have any

3. I will need to help you check how to do the wrapping

4. RGB and CMYK are welcome, prefer to have both

5. There will be EU proxy

6. Base will be white. Depending on the number of sets we will decide if dye sub into other color first or just immediate 5 side dye sub is more worthwhile

Offline LastBrat

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 11:27:34 »
Thank you for answering, I'm looking forward to having my set in DSA done by you guys :) Hope it will not be too far in the future.

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 19:53:50 »
Only full sets? What about just some bottom row keycaps for compatability?
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 20:32:48 »
Got a dyesubbed set with purple alphas and blue hiragana legends, and dark purple mods and icon legends. if anyone's interested I can post.

Offline keykaboo

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 05:04:12 »
Got a dyesubbed set with purple alphas and blue hiragana legends, and dark purple mods and icon legends. if anyone's interested I can post.

You can order any number of keys you want, but the price will not adjust according to number of keys.

If you order only the bottom row for i.e. corsair, I might have to invoice you $40 depending on the complexity.

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 09:54:26 »
Is this still a thing?
I would love to make my own set. Maybe if possible even a set for an ErgoDox layout