Author Topic: Mx switch lubrication  (Read 3241 times)

Offline jcoffin1981

Mx switch lubrication
« on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 17:04:31 »
I am replacing the switches on a few boards I've installed Gateron switches.  They are very pingy and pretty inconsistent and I'm going back to what I know- MX Brown.  I have a supply of switches which I've removed, but some require to be taken apart and lubricated.

It's not that I'm too lazy or cheap to buy the proper silicon/teflon lubricant, but I'm ready to to do this now and I have a ton of synthetic watchmaking oils which I can use.  I'm going to lube a few as an experiment, but is this acceptable to use?  I also have a dielectric grease which I assume is not suitable.  I see the threads on lubricating switches, but it's right now I have the motivation and the time to do this.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline jcoffin1981

Re: Mx switch lubrication
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 21:18:23 »
Amazing difference.  All the scratchiness is gone, which I didn't realize existed until it didn't.  I lubed about 15 as a test. Boy what a pain in the arse. I realize there are lots of threads on lubrication of choice and I'd probably choose the Dupont silicone teflon, but I'm not sure.  I was concerned with using something too viscous like the Krytox.  Does anyone have any comments using something thinner vs thicker.  The oil I chose (it doesn't react with plastic and it doesn't migrate, but it's really a steel and brass lubricant) has a cSt of 150.  The Dupont has a cSt of 350.  I've read some peoples concerns about the thicker greases slowing the action of a switch.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 21:35:39 »
In my opinion it's all about how much you use and where exactly you put it.

I think a lot of people put way too much on then form a poor opinion  because of that.

I would use an oil for springs then thinner lube for linears and thicker for tactile.

And typically it's a mixture of the krytox oil and grease.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 21:50:37 »
In watchmaking you use miniscule, nearly microscopic amounts of oil.  More than this impedes performance.  I'm a proponent of less equals more. I used a watchmaking oiler to apply it.  I oiled the spring, stem, and sides of the slider.  Actually what I used works pretty darn well, but low speed and high friction generally calls for a grease, not an oil. 

I need to do more research on what oil/grease to use.  I'm only doing this once. My fingers are all cut up from opening the switch housing.  If someone could point me to some reviews, forums, or threads I'd be much obliged.  I tend to obsess over these decisions.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 22:07:11 »
What did you use to open the switches??

I typically use either these https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34332.msg2460325#msg2460325 or a good pair of tweezers.

This is the big mx lubing thread which I see you posted in already https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34332.0

And if you can wade through mkawa's post history he had much to say about lube.

Again my personal opinion but I would touch superlube with a 10ft pole nor would I ever use EK's mechlube.

Here's some more reading https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42824.msg1212657#msg1212657 I highly value Jdcarpe's opinion.

But at the end of the day it still mostly goes back to personal preference and how much you want to mess around and find what you like.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 22:39:47 »
Thank you.  This will keep me busy.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 21:23:05 »
There is a  lot of personal opinion floating around but nothing concrete.  I am leaning towards the Dupont Silicone Teflon lubricant, but am not sure.  there is some experimentation involved.  Since the oil I used worked so well well I may just use that.  I would love to lube all my keyboards, but the labor involved is just astronomical, so I may abandon this and do just one or two.

Now the Gateron switches which I like are unusable in a Poker since they ping in a completely unacceptable manner.  Is there a way of lubing maybe the leafs which can lessen this effect, or is this just a problem I have to deal with?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 21:40:45 »
Again my personal opinion but I would touch superlube with a 10ft pole nor would I ever use EK's mechlube.

Could you elaborate? I know it's just your opinion but I'm curious. I've been thinking of trying something thicker on my next linear build as it seems it's favored by some Korean builders and SuperLube sounds like it's growing in popularity for switches.

EDIT: Read jdcarpe's commentary on the subject, sounds like it wears away over time. Will have to reconsider that.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 01:02:33 »

Could you elaborate? I know it's just your opinion but I'm curious. I've been thinking of trying something thicker on my next linear build as it seems it's favored by some Korean builders and SuperLube sounds like it's growing in popularity for switches.

EDIT: Read jdcarpe's commentary on the subject, sounds like it wears away over time. Will have to reconsider that.

ek and super lube are both just way to thick for anything other than stabs. mechlube2 actually made my switches feel worse.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 12:54:26 »
ek and super lube are both just way to thick for anything other than stabs.

why.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 14:32:27 »
ek and super lube are both just way to thick for anything other than stabs.

why.

I don't really understand thick lube for anything other than stabs.

You want thin for linear because thick can make it feel mushy.

You also want thin for tactile mostly to smooth it out if it's scratchy, because thick hides the tactile bump which defeats the purpose of a tactile switch.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 14:54:16 »
You want thin for linear because thick can make it feel mushy.

I'm still very skeptical. Why would thick lube on the sides of the sliders and the rails make the switch feel "mushy"? That's a descriptor that really only makes sense on the bottom-out to me, which shouldn't be affected.

Does a thick lube cause weaker springs to reset the slider more slowly?