Author Topic: [IC] SP SA Blanck - Black Blank Sculpted SA Kit - Feedback Mode  (Read 8235 times)

Offline cynviloq

Hello all - I had some discussions with ullr who also had the great idea to start a thread on a black sculpted SA blank set. I have been in talks with SP on producing this kit and wanted to get layout feedback and interest from everyone before moving this into GB (hopefully in the next week or two).

IC form here (please enter if you're interested, I'll post to Reddit next week, but the entries will determine whether we move forward in early August):
 :llama: :llama:https://goo.gl/forms/cn6JAxQYEWggEV8j2 :llama: :llama:

Manufacturer: Signature Plastics
Row Profile: Sculpted SA in ABS (1-1-2-3-4-3)
Color: Black (NN)

Layout shown here (in process of being revised):

Had janglad whip up a few renders here of how it could look on the Nightfox and Ergodox

Two kits - a base kit that covers a lot of compatibility (I think!) including Planck, 1800, ISO, HHKB, 75/65/60 and some splits/40% kits.

A "Space Kit" that is done in R3 which helps with some layouts such as Minivan and other Splits.

Some areas where input is appreciated:
  • Space kit: 4.5u - should this be changed out for an extra 3u? The 4.5u helps with some support for JIS and a couple other niche boards with nonstandard layout, but that may be it unless anyone can think of something else.
  • If we go even split of keys in the Space Kit with 2 each of 1.75u, 2u, 2.25u, 2.75u and 3u - would there be interest in one half being white or all keys black? I like the idea of a 40% or split where the keys are all black and the space bar (2.25/2.75 or other combo) is white
  • Any other keys to be added to the Base Kit to maximize compatibility?

I need to confirm prices as I've made some changes based on feedback since I last got pricing (some R1 1u added and the R2 1.75u), but here is the estimated pricing at 100 MOQ:
  • Base Kit: $105
  • Space Kit: $30
  • Shipping in the US: ~$12-15 / Intl: ~$20-25

Possible timeline:
  • GB Open: 8/1 - 8/14
  • Order submitted to SP: 8/15
  • Lead time: ~13-14 weeks from order placed, not 12 months!!
  • Shipping to you: January 2018
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 August 2017, 14:25:23 by cynviloq »

Offline sodiumjoe

Re: [IC] SP SA Blanck - Black Blank Sculpted SA Kit - Feedback Mode
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 19:43:01 »
Is PBT out of the question?

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 19:43:33 »
Is PBT out of the question?

It wouldn't be sculpted if it was PBT, unfortunately.

Offline ullr

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 20:10:52 »
Pleased to hear the lead time is a miraculous (for SP) handful of months instead of the whole dozen for doubleshot sets, that’s good news!

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 20:14:19 »
Pleased to hear the lead time is a miraculous (for SP) handful of months instead of the whole dozen for doubleshot sets, that’s good news!

GMK lead time is 14 weeks**** now too, so you'll only get better times with some of the newer manufacturers out of Asia, and definitely not this coverage by any other SA profile producer!
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 July 2017, 21:33:08 by cynviloq »

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 23:17:05 »
Your timeline is very optimistic. 15 days isn't much to sell 100 sets. Getting everyone to pay invoice overnight and submitting payment next day is a pipe dream  :cool: and keep in mind several gb runners have been getting bitten by PayPal holding funds for 3 weeks. Just some thoughts!
keyboards.

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 01:07:04 »
If I'm not mistaken, the base kit is short a single r3 1u key for Planck/Preonic compatibility.

Offline sodiumjoe

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 01:11:30 »
Also missing the extra R3 2.25u (left shift) from the mock up in the initial post. FC660 users need this.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 06:49:25 »
Any reason the bottom row is r3 instead of r4?

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 07:15:39 »
If I'm not mistaken, the base kit is short a single r3 1u key for Planck/Preonic compatibility.

There should be 22 usable R3 1u keys - how many does the Preonic need?

Also missing the extra R3 2.25u (left shift) from the mock up in the initial post. FC660 users need this.

Added - this is definitely important, thank you.

Your timeline is very optimistic. 15 days isn't much to sell 100 sets. Getting everyone to pay invoice overnight and submitting payment next day is a pipe dream  :cool: and keep in mind several gb runners have been getting bitten by PayPal holding funds for 3 weeks. Just some thoughts!

I wouldn't run a GB unless I was confident in backfilling to hit MOQ so there wouldn't be invoices. It would go up on the site for GB pricing to order. PayPal holding funds wouldn't be an issue for this buy.

Any reason the bottom row is r3 instead of r4?

Most sculpted SA sets come with R3 bottom row and it seems the consensus is to keep it that way for a blank set.

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 10:42:25 »

Upon recounting I realize that there actually are enough keys for the Planck and Preonic if one uses a 2u spacebar. For the GRID layout that uses only 1u keys (as well as Let's Split and Nyquist), there needs to be a total of 24 R3 1u keys.

Offline SteezeTrain

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 11:03:05 »
+1 for the base set. I think since it is blanks I should be able to make it for my strange layout.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 11:41:03 »

Upon recounting I realize that there actually are enough keys for the Planck and Preonic if one uses a 2u spacebar. For the GRID layout that uses only 1u keys (as well as Let's Split and Nyquist), there needs to be a total of 24 R3 1u keys.

I do not own a Planck/Preonic, so leaning on you and others here to guide - why would the use of 1-1-2-3-4 not work for those keyboards? There are more than enough R1 to cover two rows and R4 can double as a bottom row anyways, so 1-1-2-3-4 seems to make sense given there are only 5 rows for those ortholinear keyboards.

Offline ullr

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 17:27:47 »
One key that might be a good addition is a R2/R4 2u key for the X60’s and other boards with that size left shift

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 20:22:46 »

I do not own a Planck/Preonic, so leaning on you and others here to guide - why would the use of 1-1-2-3-4 not work for those keyboards? There are more than enough R1 to cover two rows and R4 can double as a bottom row anyways, so 1-1-2-3-4 seems to make sense given there are only 5 rows for those ortholinear keyboards.
I've never used SA on ortholinear so I can't really say why it wouldn't work, only that Plancks and whatnot generally follow the same SA 1-2-3-4-3 row pattern that staggered keyboards use. My guess is that since 1-1-2-3-4 means having the homing row on R2, it isn't used. 1-2-3-4-1 might work but R1 might also be too tall for the bottom row.

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 07:52:25 »
Please have a LED windowed caps Lock!  :thumb:

Offline bun

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 07:25:08 »
any news on this ?

Offline deacon

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 14:07:46 »
Planck/Preonic users are commonly using 1-2-3-4-3 or 1-2-3-4-4 sometimes with a few Row 1 or 2 on the bottom row thumb keys.  1-2-3-4-1 doesn't sound comfortable but I haven't tried it however I don't think I'd pay for the privilege.

Row 3 homing keys are a must for me.

Consider that the last Massdrop Planck drop had a concurrent keycap drop that included black SA blanks. I don't know if this is happening in future drops.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 14:25:58 »
Planck/Preonic users are commonly using 1-2-3-4-3 or 1-2-3-4-4 sometimes with a few Row 1 or 2 on the bottom row thumb keys.  1-2-3-4-1 doesn't sound comfortable but I haven't tried it however I don't think I'd pay for the privilege.

Row 3 homing keys are a must for me.

Consider that the last Massdrop Planck drop had a concurrent keycap drop that included black SA blanks. I don't know if this is happening in future drops.

Understood - I'll work on revising it.

Just added some renders to get a look at it on some boards.

Offline kamilakas

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 18 August 2017, 05:55:11 »
I'm in!

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 06:55:03 »