Author Topic: Spraying a silver case black  (Read 1350 times)

Offline asgeirtj

Spraying a silver case black
« on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 04:50:47 »
Hey, I have a silver Duck Octagon and RS96 which I want black, will it work to just spray it black? Will it ruin the case or look bad? Will it make the surface of the aluminum icky to touch?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Re: Spraying a silver case black
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 09:04:36 »
You'll want to scuff the case up good and be very, very conservative with spray paint passes.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 15:22:00 »
You will loose all surface texture, it should look and feel like smooth plastic. If the painted surface is scuffed or scratched, metal will be showing underneath - especially at edges and corners, so you would want to repaint it after a year.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 22:29:03 »
you want the rs96 black?  Or the octagon  :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-X :-X :-X :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I wouldn't spray it.  paint doesn't hold up.  You can get it stripped and re-anozided black locally.
keyboards.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 08:11:20 »
Go to a local business who does anodising and get it done there. Will cost about 80$ but the result will be professional

Sent from my sofa using lazy-stuff...

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 20:24:54 »
I'm sorry I had forgotten another option that I remembered just now, because it is an option only really for metal: powder coating.
Much more durable than paint, but thicker. The question is if you would be happy with the finish.

BTW, anodising can only be removed abratively, so it would be shaving off the top layer. Re-anodising would transform the raw metal surface into anodized aluminium - not layer on top. The nature of the anodized finish depends of course on how the surface was prepared: if it was shiny, it will be shiny, if it was sandblasted, it will be sandblasted etc.