Author Topic: Kailh Speed Silver vs Cherry Speed Silver?  (Read 28738 times)

Offline Hitaku

Kailh Speed Silver vs Cherry Speed Silver?
« on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 10:22:07 »
Hello all, new here. I was wondering if anyone had any comparisons between Kailh Speed Silver and Cherry Speed Silver. I'm fairly new to keyboard switches. I've read that Kailh switches feel more "smooth" than Cherry which sounds nice, but I've also read that Kailh switches are lower quality and sometimes inconsistent in the manufacturing which worries me.  A lot of the reviews are all over the place for these, which is why I was hoping for a more direct comparison between the two I was thinking about purchasing. I'm also interested in the Kailh Speed Copper if anyone has any feedback for those. Thank you very much for any help. =)
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 September 2017, 10:40:41 by Hitaku »

Offline psiclone

Re: Kailh Speed Silver vs Cherry Speed Silver?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 12:17:59 »
While I can't entirely answer your question, as I don't have experience with the Cherry Speed Silver, I have a Kailh Speed Silver switch in one of my testers.  It's buttery smooth.  In fact, I really like the feel of almost all the Kailhs I have in my testers:

Kailh Pro Aqua (extremely loud, clicky) <-- this one is amazingly loud
Kailh Speed Pink (clicky) <-- if you like clicky, this one's nice and fast
Kailh Speed Copper (tactile) <-- not bad
Kailh Burgundy (super buttery smooth, linear) <-- quickly became my fav of the Kailh's
Kailh Speed Silver (buttery smooth, linear) <-- damn close to the burgundy, but not quite as smooth
Kailh Purple (tactile) <-- I like the Zealios better
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 September 2017, 11:04:50 by psiclone »

Offline Hitaku

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 14:06:41 »
Awesome, thank you very much for the information.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 00:38:41 »
I've tried both and the Kailhs are a little smoother and less wobbly imo.

Offline psiclone

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 08:57:42 »
To me, the biggest drawback to the Kailhs is that I can't find any kind of noise reduction, aside from the standard O-ring or soft landing pads.  The Zealencio silencer clips won't fit, and I haven't tried a QMX silencing clip to see if it will.  I find the Gateron's are pretty smooth, as well.  I have a Zealencio silencer clip on a Gateron yellow and it's relatively soft linear with a much quieter sound.  Two things I've been after are something that has enough resistance that when I rest my fingers on it, it won't actuate, but is still linear, soft, and super quiet.  I love the feel of the Kailh burgundies, but I can't get them nearly as quiet as that Gateron yellow it the silencing clip on it.  I just bought a Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard without the switches and caps and plan to add the Kailh burgundies to most of the keyboard and the Gateron yellows to the modifiers and spacebar.  I then want to put Kailh Speed Pinks on the numberpad.  I hope that gives me the overall experience I'm after.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 September 2017, 09:01:57 by psiclone »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 19:49:05 »
The Cherry "silent" switches are the same dimensions as the "speed" switches so you could always go that route. I have a lubed Cherry speed silver next to a lubed Kailh Silver and I cant really tell the difference. My wallet can though.
-Dana

Offline psiclone

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 10:37:01 »
Nice to know.  I've got Cherry MX silent reds on another board, but I'm not extremely impressed.  They're quiet, but not as quiet (I think) as the Gateron Yellows with Zealios Silencing Clips.  I'll be able to test that out soon on an actual keyboard, rather than a tester.  I really need to get a Cherry tester, because so far what I've tried with Cherry, I haven’t been impressed.  I feel as though I could go the cheaper, but more preferred (for me) route of Gaterons and Kailhs.  I tried one Outemu purple I have, but it feels scratchy and wobbly, but I've heard the Outemu Ice Purples are nice.  The Zealios switches I’ve tried feel great, if you like tactile switches, but they’re really expensive.  I didn’t find that they were that much better than the Kailh Pro purple.  The sticking point for me on those is trying to silence them, beyond just an O-ring or landing pad.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 September 2017, 11:03:35 by psiclone »

Offline Scoox

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 12:27:55 »
Two things I've been after are something that has enough resistance that when I rest my fingers on it, it won't actuate, but is still linear, soft, and super quiet.

That's exactly what I'm after, too, but I think it's impossible with sprung switches, where the further  you press the shaft the greater the force the spring exerts on your finger. The solution is magnetic switches like the Datahand featured.

Offline psiclone

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 13:24:19 »
That's exactly what I'm after, too, but I think it's impossible with sprung switches, where the further  you press the shaft the greater the force the spring exerts on your finger. The solution is magnetic switches like the Datahand featured.

Hmm...I hadn't heard of those.  I'll have to look into that.  I just got my new Glorious Modular Keyboard a couple of days ago and my switches are coming in, today.  I'll be able to test them out and see how they feel.  Granted, the board they're in also makes a difference, as well as does the surface they're on.  I've still got a ways to go before I can really make any kind of thorough comparison on that board.  I've ordered some "special" O-rings that I didn't see elsewhere and that I've tested.  They seem quieter than my last set.  They won't come in for at least a week.  I also need to order some Zealencio silencing clips and would consider QMX clips if I could get them in a smaller quantity.  I'm excited to test the Gateron Yellows against the Kailh Burgundies as a fuller set, rather than 1 or 2 switches at a time.

Since I can't use the Zealencio silencing clip on a Kailh Burgundy, does anyone know if QMX Clips would work on those?  I'm otherwise stuck with o-rings and/or landing pads.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 September 2017, 13:29:16 by psiclone »