Author Topic: IBM Model F AT on eBay  (Read 3789 times)

Offline JP

About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: IBM Model F AT on eBay
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 08:57:44 »
I bought an AT from hyderconsulting a few years ago.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 22:31:54 »
Does it come with the AT to ps2 adapter on there?  And why is it on there if it's not been tested?  Hmmm...

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 01:48:44 »
Does it come with the AT to ps2 adapter on there?  And why is it on there if it's not been tested?  Hmmm...

When non-USB keebs say "untested", it often just means the seller doesn't have the necessary converter—not that there's anything wrong with the board, necessarily.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 09:40:58 »

When non-USB keebs say "untested", it often just means the seller doesn't have the necessary converter—not that there's anything wrong with the board, necessarily.
But I've seen a lot of 'untested' stuff that really should be listed as 'for parts'.  Ebay sellers of IBM keyboards can be quite...how do I put it...grayscale? ;D

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 04:00:23 »
But I've seen a lot of 'untested' stuff that really should be listed as 'for parts'.  Ebay sellers of IBM keyboards can be quite...how do I put it...grayscale? ;D

Sorry you haven't had better luck... Of the couple dozen M's I've bought online (most of which I've restored to give to friends), I think two of them had a few non-working keys, and just one didn't work at all. If they haven't obviously been thrashed, I've found they're more likely to be operational than other boards that are many years newer.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 11:12:24 »

Sorry you haven't had better luck... Of the couple dozen M's I've bought online (most of which I've restored to give to friends), I think two of them had a few non-working keys, and just one didn't work at all. If they haven't obviously been thrashed, I've found they're more likely to be operational than other boards that are many years newer.
That's good to know.  I'll keep it in mind.  :thumb:

At some point I'm sure I need to get an F even though I'd never use it regularly due to the layout--but that's what's happened to a few of my other keyboards (where is my logitech again?), so I guess one more couldn't hurt!

The only place I've been burned or nearly burned multiple times is on Intel network cards--so, so, so many fakes on ebay that it's not even funny.  I don't even look at anything 'new from china' anymore as they're almost 100% fakes.  Better to get a used genuine product.

Offline Wolf123rt

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 11:15:27 »

I got it yesterday and everything works also it came with the adapter

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 12:17:13 »

That's awesome!  :thumb:  Great deal too since the adapter itself can be between $5-10 depending on where you get it.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 19:52:28 »
At some point I'm sure I need to get an F even though I'd never use it regularly due to the layout--but that's what's happened to a few of my other keyboards (where is my logitech again?), so I guess one more couldn't hurt!

1. Yes, I agree, at some point you must have at least one F—just to be able to call yourself a buckling-spring aficionado, if nothing else. I think F's are awesome, if you don't mind making even a bit more noise than with an M (or I should say, if the people around you don't mind; it's unlikely to bother us, as we're too busy enjoying typing).

2. If the AT and (certainly) XT layouts intimidate you, I suggest an F-122:

...whose layout is the most similar to ANSI. And since you'll need a Soarer's converter cable (easy, but $40) or a Teensy (cheap, but more trouble) for it anyway, you can program the keys however you wish (for example, putting ESC anywhere, or making the extra middle arrow button another "up").

And just as importantly, F-122s are legendarily BIG and HEAVY, which will make you feel like a real man!! Okay, that worked for me; your mileage may vary.

At the very least, it'll redefine your idea of a solid board. The only times these babies move around is in an earthquake, or if the building you're in is being demolished.

The only place I've been burned or nearly burned multiple times is on Intel network cards--so, so, so many fakes on ebay that it's not even funny.  I don't even look at anything 'new from china' anymore as they're almost 100% fakes.  Better to get a used genuine product.

Yeah, I suppose it's a lot easier to fake a PCB than a whole keyboard.

Nice! Is it your first F? How would you describe the touch 'n' sound?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 19:56:14 »

1. Yes, I agree, at some point you must have at least one F—just to be able to call yourself a buckling-spring aficionado, if nothing else. I think F's are awesome, if you don't mind making even a bit more noise than with an M (or I should say, if the people around you don't mind; it's unlikely to bother us, as we're too busy enjoying typing).

Show Image

...whose layout is the most similar to ANSI. And since you'll need a Soarer's converter cable (easy, but $40) or a Teensy (cheap, but more trouble) for it anyway, you can program the keys however you wish (for example, putting ESC anywhere, or making the extra middle arrow button another "up").

And just as importantly, F-122s are legendarily BIG and HEAVY, which will make you feel like a real man!! Okay, that worked for me; your mileage may vary.

At the very least, it'll redefine your idea of a solid board. The only times these babies move around is in an earthquake, or if the building you're in is being demolished.

Heh make the middle arrkw cluster button Ctrl-Alt-Del 'cause everyone's going to be pressing it to see what it does :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 00:17:55 »

Show Image

As always, I have to agree with you.  Okay, so the next time I see a deal on a model F, I'll have to bite.  Besides, since it was the first keyboard I typed on (we had them in our advanced typing class), I have to get one to re-live the nostalgia.

Offline Wolf123rt

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 07:05:06 »

Show Image

Thanks and yes it is my first Model F though not my first buckling spring keyboard as I used to have a Model M, the sound is very pingy and metallic also higher pitched than the Model M, I really do enjoy the sound of it. The feel is great, it's really smooth and the weight of the switches is perfect for me, the only problem I had with the keyboard was the spacebar being pretty heavy but I quickly got used to it. I am just really happy with the keyboard and I even like it better than my blue alps and topre boards.