Author Topic: Keycap opinion  (Read 2991 times)

Offline kgolden

Keycap opinion
« on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 19:33:47 »
I know this is a subjective thing BUT would you buy Gateron black PBT blank caps or Vortex Black PBT doubleshot caps? I've been searching around and I can find pros and cons on both. I'm so indecisive about things like this. I want black PBT keycaps with a cherry profile. thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Re: Keycap opinion
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 19:35:16 »
Do you have a preference on legends vs blank?  I have had both and prefer gateron pbt personally.

Offline kgolden

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 19:37:18 »
Honestly, I'm not sure. The blank Gaterons do look very nice but I haven't committed the keys to memory yet.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 04:43:03 »
Honestly, I'm not sure. The blank Gaterons do look very nice but I haven't committed the keys to memory yet.

If you want to learn how to touch type, jumping in to blanks is a great way to learn.

Offline kgolden

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 05:40:21 »
I'm leaning toward the Gateron pbt blanks. I've seen many keyboards with blanks and they all look so nice.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 05:55:39 »
Blanks are great until you want a random symbol - I can never find %^&* without looking so for a main board I'd go with the legends.

Another consideration is Gateron caps are Cherry profile while Vortex are OEM, so a bit taller.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline kgolden

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 07:19:50 »
.... I've confused myself. I have a CM Storm QFR TKL right now, I want the same profile as that. I thought the keys were cherry profile but now I'm unsure. I see in another discussion someone saying it is OEM. Can someone clarify which key profile the QFR tkl is... sorry for being such a greenhorn.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 14:24:54 »
.... I've confused myself. I have a CM Storm QFR TKL right now, I want the same profile as that. I thought the keys were cherry profile but now I'm unsure. I see in another discussion someone saying it is OEM. Can someone clarify which key profile the QFR tkl is... sorry for being such a greenhorn.

stock QFR caps are OEM profile

OEM profile is sort of a general term referring to any caps that come with a board, or are tall and thin and generally not so good

my personal recommendation is always epbt dyesubs, although more expensive than some of the doubleshots, they'll last just as long and I think they look and feel better
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ckofy

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 21:05:49 »
Blanks are great until you want a random symbol - I can never find %^&* without looking so for a main board I'd go with the legends.
I used to have the same problem having blanks on the standard keyboard. I was resolved completely after I moved to ortholinear/columnar keyboards, no guessing of where is this particular  number key any more.

Offline Liocer

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 01:34:38 »
I’d recommend epbt over vortex any day. The dyesubs are lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kgolden

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 05:12:32 »
Thanks for everyone's input! For the time being I picked up the Vortex dark gray thick pbt key caps with legends. I ended up getting them pretty cheap between sale price, coupon and store credit. Even if I don't like them it'll be a starting point since I have zero experience outside of the thin abs key caps I currently use.

Offline sHOTTA

• <3
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 14:31:34 »
Where did u get the coupon?
Looking for : Jelly Key USA Flag. Shoot me  PM<3

Offline kgolden

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 12:53:38 »
Oh I had one from a previous purchase with mechanical keyboards.

Offline kgolden

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 21:10:12 »
Like I said, I went with the Vortex PBT dark gray key caps and here they are next to my CM Storm ABS key caps..

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 21:53:21 »

Another consideration is Gateron caps are Cherry profile while Vortex are OEM, so a bit taller.
Word! Wtf is the ~

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline kgolden

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 20:03:46 »
LOL without legends I'd never find the tilde also...

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 22:51:05 »
Really?  I use ~ all the time...maybe 'cause I'm a Linux guy.  It's a shortcut for your home dir at the command line.

Offline kgolden

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 10:15:32 »
I use Arch and windows but never committed the keys to memory.