Author Topic: Walking with Slow Walkers  (Read 3366 times)

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
Re: Walking with Slow Walkers
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 13:40:49 »
enjoy the fresh air

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 13:56:34 »
enjoy the fresh air

Going anywhere takes half an hour.. 

This is insane..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 19:52:56 »
I can't walk slowly.

My average speed is 6km/h.

It's rare that I find anyone else walking this speed, and almost never does anyone walk faster.

And it's over long distances too - not just to the next corner.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 20:31:44 »
I can't walk slowly.

It's rare that I find anyone else walking this speed, and almost never does anyone walk faster.

I simply can't understand what is going through the mind of slow walkers..

It's as if they Don't want to Get There.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 22:00:15 »
I hear this. Also, related: people who do a little burst of speed to get in front of you in a busy place then slow down immediately.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 23:13:00 »
I hear this. Also, related: people who do a little burst of speed to get in front of you in a busy place then slow down immediately.

I think this is a bit more normal, because they want to avoid eye contact.. It's the same in traffic, people don't typically want to drive exactly window to window.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 00:10:41 »
Walking slow is fine but it's the ones that walk slow with their friends that kill me. They block off the entire pathway walking at snails pace and can never get past them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 00:25:33 »
Walking slow is fine but it's the ones that walk slow with their friends that kill me. They block off the entire pathway walking at snails pace and can never get past them.

Make a disturbing loud noise.. as soon as they turn around,  run at them at your maximum speed..

//Problem Solved..

// Thanks TP4

//Tp4 is the Greatiest..

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 01:25:00 »

Make a disturbing loud noise.. as soon as they turn around,  run at them at your maximum speed..

//Problem Solved..

// Thanks TP4

//Tp4 is the Greatiest..

Lead us by example. Film a tutoring of you doing it.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 06:37:18 »
I do that only with smokers. I hate walking in the air that a smoker leaves behind.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 07:35:27 »

That's a very brisk pace.

For me, there is a certain momentum that seems about right. Too slow wastes a lot of energy.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 08:09:11 »
I do that only with smokers. I hate walking in the air that a smoker leaves behind.

Valid.

Offline atarione

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 18:07:49 »
I walk quite slow.. I can't stand people who walk fast / rush.. sh*t will still be there when u get there..

In my case I have several previous injuries and a limp in right leg.. and arthritis in knees /hip .. so if you walk someplace with me it will be at a leisurely pace and you will F***ing like it..

not 50yrs old yet and I basically need to get me one of dem' hurrycane's they try to sell oldies on tv   :rolleyes:

also if you take car trip with me ..we will stop hourly so I can stretch my leg / knee /hip ..whatever ..because it can't be helped and you will F***ing LIKE IT!!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 19:39:36 »
I feel for you. My wife has worked for the Arthritis Foundation for over 20 years, and arthritis is a very common topic around the house. I have had my own encounters with it (it runs strong in my paternal grandmother's family) and my mother and cousin both had both knees replaced.

Walking, in my experience, hits a critical point at about 2mph/3kph where momentum helps carry you along. Below that, it seems to me, you are re-initiating your forward motion with each step and greatly increasing the effort expended.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline atarione

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 19:57:25 »
i'm not even sure how slow i actually walk never really measured it.. it is slow however, it depends on the weather / humidity / how I'm feeling that day..

it is fixing to rain here (or so my knees and hip are telling me) I'm moving slow AF today..

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 21:07:30 »
I feel for you. My wife has worked for the Arthritis Foundation for over 20 years, and arthritis is a very common topic around the house. I have had my own encounters with it (it runs strong in my paternal grandmother's family) and my mother and cousin both had both knees replaced.

Walking, in my experience, hits a critical point at about 2mph/3kph where momentum helps carry you along. Below that, it seems to me, you are re-initiating your forward motion with each step and greatly increasing the effort expended.

Both good points. On the disability angle, people with those issues (or others like paraparesis) simply can't walk very fast. It's not like they aren't trying, they just can't move as well as healthier people can. You can spot them if you know what you're looking for though (my mom for instance has trouble lifting her feet), but most people don't know how.

On the healthy side, you can easily keep going at a steady pace if you keep walking continuously, even if you are going fairly fast. I find my trips up to my psychiatrist's office (which funny enough is a few blocks away) tend to slow me down only after I've been inside his office for a while and not walking (the rather steep uphill climb to get there at the end probably hurts a bit though). It may not necessarily be true for everyone though.
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 21:10:27 »
I can't walk slowly.

I simply can't understand what is going through the mind of slow walkers..

It's as if they Don't want to Get There.

I have the same feeling about people that drive s l o w

But agreed. Walking with slow walkers is excruciating. I usually just walk ahead of them.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 February 2018, 21:13:04 by UsualSuspectXXX »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 19:59:10 »

That's a very brisk pace.

For me, there is a certain momentum that seems about right. Too slow wastes a lot of energy.

This made think, so I downloaded an app to track my walks.  First two walks so far:

6.4Km/h homeward (mostly downhill)

6.1Km/h outward (mostly uphill)

So yeah, seems I do walk briskly most of the time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 20:12:03 »

This made think, so I downloaded an app to track my walks.  First two walks so far:

Oh no rowdy..

Now google knows you walked to the strip club stayed for 3 hours, went to grocery for 1 hour and back..

Then the google-luminaties will black mail you with that information..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 19:52:06 »

Oh no rowdy..

Now google knows you walked to the strip club stayed for 3 hours, went to grocery for 1 hour and back..

Then the google-luminaties will black mail you with that information..

Nothing Google-related was involved.

Offline naveed

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 14:44:46 »
I used to think it was related to height or leg length, but I don't think so anymore. People taller and longer legged than me walk slower than me. It's annoying to both parties.

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 17:11:26 »
If the long-legged/tall people are putting in the same effort as short-legged/short people and all other factors are identical as well, then yes, the long-legged people would be faster, simply because longer legs would lead to a longer stride.

In practice, it's not nearly as direct. The tall person could be less fit, could feel more comfortable taking shorter strides, could have some sort of problem with their legs, or the short person could be one of those "always hurrying" types, etc.

There's also a psychological factor of sorts. People have noted I walk a lot faster and do so for far longer if I'm listening to music than if I'm not--because I'm not concentrating on the distance I've gone/have to go, most likely.
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 17:21:04 »
I have a walking pace that feels natural to me. Walking only slightly slower than natural pace so as to match a shorter person's speed feels weirder to me than walking slowly.