Author Topic: Leopold FC660C, My 1st experience with Topre  (Read 9450 times)

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
Leopold FC660C, My 1st experience with Topre
« on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 19:48:40 »
188963-0
So I got my FC660C in today & have been using it for a couple hrs now. This is my 1st experience with Topre ever & I can see now why some people swear by them. The smoothness of these switches is next level even in their stock form, definitely the biggest & most noticeable improvement over other switches for Topre IMO. The stock 45g domes this board comes with feel pretty good, but a bit light for me. They are very tactile but in a sneaky way, if that makes any sense. The tactile bump is literally right at the beginning of the key press making them have more of a linear feel compared to tactile MX switches.

The board itself is very well built & a little heftier than I expected. It's definitely heavier than it's MX brethren the FC660M. I believe these boards have a steel plate in them so I'd imagine that's where the extra weight comes from. The case is very nice for a plastic case & there is no flex to mention with this KB. As far as the build quality goes it's Leopold's usual top notch stuff, although the option for an alum case for these would be awesome. I heard Norbauer might be making some, fingers crossed there.

Really the only major complaint I can level at this board & Topre switches by extension is that the stabilized keys other than the space bar rattle like crazy! I guess it's really not that bad, but for me coming from my custom MX builds with dead quiet stabilizers it really does bother me. Although I also figure it's nothing some lube & silencing rings can't fix so it's not a deal breaker to me. All in all I'm pretty happy with the Topre experience. They are very unique feeling switch & I'm pretty excited to start messing around with modding them.

I have a batch of BKE redux extreme domes & silencing rings on the way. I also ordered some EK Mechlube 2 but EliteKBs said it won't be in till sometime next month, so I'm probably gonna just use my personal thick mix of Krytox to lube this board. I like the feeling of stock 45g domes, but ideally I'd prefer the feel stiffer & heavier. I was figuring this would be the case going in so I ordered the BKEs the same time I ordered this board. Hoping the BKEs, silencing rings, & lubing will give the board a feel more suited for my preferences & get rid of that damned rattle from the stabilized keys. I could see it becoming one of my more used boards if it all works as planned.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 February 2018, 19:54:55 by Rob27shred »

Offline BobCarltheThird

Re: Leopold FC660C, My 1st experience with Topre
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 10:03:52 »
If you bought the silencing rings from Keyclack I'd advise against using them. The first Batch had a ton of issues and jchan is going to be replacing them free of charge.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 11:28:53 »
If you bought the silencing rings from Keyclack I'd advise against using them. The first Batch had a ton of issues and jchan is going to be replacing them free of charge.

lol damn it I bought the first batch....... did he explain how he'll replace them?  Just send out another copy right after?

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 15:04:51 »

lol damn it I bought the first batch....... did he explain how he'll replace them?  Just send out another copy right after?

According to what I read on his Instagram page he'll be sending out replacements to everyone that bought into round one. No ETA as far as I'm aware.

Edit: according to the newest post up on Jchans Instagram they're going to be shipping out in about a month.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 February 2018, 22:07:45 by BobCarltheThird »

Offline Hyde

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 22:20:30 »

According to what I read on his Instagram page he'll be sending out replacements to everyone that bought into round one. No ETA as far as I'm aware.

Edit: according to the newest post up on Jchans Instagram they're going to be shipping out in about a month.

lol ok I'll go read into his instagram, thanks for the heads up!

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 22:27:51 »

Thanks for the heads up! I have been hearing mixed reviews about them (more on the negative than positive side). Thankfully I haven't installed them yet since I'm still waiting on lube to do it. Think I'll just wait for Jchan to get the replacements sent out instead of risking installing the ones I got. :thumb:

Offline Hyde

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:49:03 »

Thanks for the heads up! I have been hearing mixed reviews about them (more on the negative than positive side). Thankfully I haven't installed them yet since I'm still waiting on lube to do it. Think I'll just wait for Jchan to get the replacements sent out instead of risking installing the ones I got. :thumb:

Yeah I read the instagram post, seems like he'll ship out V2 to anyone who purchased V1, which is awesome customer service!  :)

My dilema is that in v2 they'll increase thickness from 0.25 mm to 0.45 mm, which is very close to hypersphere thickness, and I already have hypersphere rings (which reduce the travel a little and reduced tactility).

So in this case I wonder if I should've just skipped this entirely........  I guess I'll wait till I get the v2 to make proper judgment.

>_____>

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 17:31:53 »

Yeah I read the instagram post, seems like he'll ship out V2 to anyone who purchased V1, which is awesome customer service!  :)

My dilema is that in v2 they'll increase thickness from 0.25 mm to 0.45 mm, which is very close to hypersphere thickness, and I already have hypersphere rings (which reduce the travel a little and reduced tactility).

So in this case I wonder if I should've just skipped this entirely........  I guess I'll wait till I get the v2 to make proper judgment.

>_____>

What I'm wondering is why go up that much in thickness. Surely .35 would have been a good middle ground.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 20:33:09 »

>_____>

What I'm wondering is why go up that much in thickness. Surely .35 would have been a good middle ground.

I do think 0.35 would've been perfect.  0.25 almost didn't give enough "silencing" and 0.5 silent perfectly but reduce travel too much, I think 0.35 would've been great.

But my guess is maybe 0.45 is their old thickness (0.25) + whatever adhesive tape they put on = 0.45 total probably.

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 20:40:26 »

>_____>

I do think 0.35 would've been perfect.  0.25 almost didn't give enough "silencing" and 0.5 silent perfectly but reduce travel too much, I think 0.35 would've been great.

But my guess is maybe 0.45 is their old thickness (0.25) + whatever adhesive tape they put on = 0.45 total probably.
Wish I had a good macro lens. It'd be interesting to see what exactly they did to make them better then the first revision.