Author Topic: laptop keys don't provide enough friction, need something  (Read 3891 times)

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
laptop keys don't provide enough friction, need something
« on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 17:49:44 »
hey guys. I recently purchased a laptop and it seems that the top surfaces of the chiclet keys don't have a rough texture. My fingers actually slip when typing at high speeds. This is in comparison to my SUrface type cover that has a 'rubbery' feel and provides some stopping power.

I have looked up some products but they aren't really meant for providing relief from the above issue. Something like a cover isn't readily available for this laptop since it's from a lesser known manufacturer.

I have looked at stickers but am not convinced that they would solve this issue.

Anyone know what products or methods are available for this grandiose conundrum?  Thanks
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: laptop keys don't provide enough friction, need something
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 18:00:47 »
if you can hit the keys with more top down force instead of diagonal, that should reduce the slipping problem.

Overall, if you are pushing so deep INTO the key such that there is enough finger travel to go INTO Slippage,  You are exerting too lengthy a keystroke.

Reduce your impulse duration.

Typing is unlike piano, in that you are never suppose to hold the key longer than necessary.. Everything should be Staccato. !!

Check out my typing speed guide in my signature below..

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 21:21:58 »
you may have a valid point with the angle thing. I need to closely look at the trajectory of my fingers as I type and the positioning when I hit the key. hrm..
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 11:35:59 »
Take a light grain sandpaper and lightly sand the keys. This should give you a bit of texture.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170