Author Topic: Northgate Omnikey with Windows Keys: Build Log  (Read 3091 times)

Offline applehugger

Northgate Omnikey with Windows Keys: Build Log
« on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 20:21:42 »
Sometimes the right keyswitches and the right chassis come together at just the right time.

I've been searching for some good Salmon ALPS switches for almost six months now, spurred by some conversations I've had with ShawnMeg on here (who, btw, is an extremely cool and helpful person). Without going into any detail, I continue to be unable to track down any clean boards with Salmon ALPS in them, at least not for a reasonable price. However, a few weeks ago, Chyrosran22 released a video on the GYUM97SK Dell AT101, in which he mentioned that Pine Black ALPS switches are extremely similar to Salmon ALPS switches. Therefore, I broadened my horizons to include that keyboard, although I figured that Thomas's video would make the price of old logo Dell keyboards shoot up even more.

Amazingly however, last week I found an eBay listing for a GYUM97SK for $35 shipped. I bought it immediately. However, I never planned to keep the switches and chassis together. I really have a hard time using keyboards without Windows keys. I'm one of those weird anomalies who prefers keyboards to have no fewer than 104 keys. I can't really do anything smaller than fullsize. Bigger than fullsize is even better! I absolutely love my pair of Focus FK 9000's. Getting back on topic, I planned to harvest the Pine Black switches from the Dell and save them for an interesting ALPS chassis with Windows keys (one that isn't a GYUM90SK Bigfoot; I've had three of those already and although they're great, they're just not unusual enough for these switches, not even the ones with black cases, at least in my opinion.)

Amazingly, two days after I bought the Dell keyboard, I came across a super interesting Northgate Omnikey that Halverson was selling in his classifieds ad. Shout out to Halverson for being extremely pleasant to deal with, pricing his items very reasonably, shipping super quickly, and packing the keyboard very well. Anyway, the interesting thing about this Omnikey (in case you haven't guessed by the title of this thread) is that it has Windows keys. They're in an extremely unusual layout, with the spacebar being the same large 7u size as on regular Omnikeys. The keys to the right of the spacebar are all 1u in size, as is the Windows key to the left of the spacebar. Furthermore, the Windows keys and context menu key are pad printed, not doubleshot like all of the other keys on the keyboard with the exception of the Up arrow, which curiously has an integrated LED. At any rate, I thought this would be a fantastic chassis for the Pine Black ALPS switches, so I contacted Halverson and purchased it!

Omnikeys are well known to come with Pine White ALPS, except for some very early versions which came with Blue ALPS. However, Dell Bigfoot keyboards aside, Windows keys were introduced a fair bit after ALPS Electric stopped producing complicated switches, and instead moved production to Forward Electronics, who then produced simplified ALPS switches, which are generally regarded to be of lower quality. I was hoping that this Omnikey would have simplified ALPS switches in it, as I would feel bad ripping out a bunch of nice complicated White ALPS switches. I like White ALPS to a degree, but I want to use this keyboard at work, so I don’t want clicky switches in it. The other problem with clicky ALPS switches is that they now have to compete with Kailh's click-bar box switches. At home, my daily driver has Box Pale blue switches, and I just don't think clicky ALPS switches stack up favorably. That may be heresay to some, but of course that is just my personal opinion, and speaks to the amazing quality of Kailh's clicky Box switches more than it does make a statement about a lack of quality with regard to complicated clicky ALPS switches. I do not think there are any tactile Cherry clone switches which can hold a candle to tactile ALPS switches, however.

Upon receiving my Omnikey in the mail, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it did indeed contain simplified ALPS switches. I have to say, compared to some simplified ALPS clones that I've tried, these aren't that bad. However, I like Matias clicky switches better, as the Matias switches are less pingy and feel slightly more refined. At any rate, I desoldered all of the simplified ALPS switches from the Omnikey without feeling too bad about it. If anyone would like the simplified ALPS switches, contact me. Otherwise, I’ll likely discard them.

I also did some research on this keyboard. I can find out very little information about it. This is the only post on the internet that I can find which even mentions the existence of an Omnikey with Windows keys:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=20506.msg397099#msg397099
As noted in that post, this keyboard has a number of weird quirks:
  • The door for the DIP switches is still present in the upper left corner of the keyboard, but there are no dip switches. It's just empty space underneath the logo.
  • As aforementioned, it uses simplified ALPS switches.
  • Despite a copyright date of 1995 and the presence of Windows keys, it still uses an AT plug, which had been supplanted by PS/2 by the time this keyboard came out. I've never seen a keyboard with Windows keys that uses an AT plug.
  • The up arrow has an integrated LED. My research has led me to believe that it has something to do with programming the keyboard.

It seems that this keyboard was programmed with software that Northgate provided instead of the DIP switches present on older Omnikeys. I found a reference to such software online, but anecdotal evidence leads me to believe that it will only run on Windows 3.1 or possibly Windows 95.

Now onto some pictures. Congratulations if you survived my long-winded, detailed introduction. Here is what the keyboard looked like then I got it. Credit for the pictures goes to Halverson:

Initially, wasn't sure if I wanted to convert it to USB or try to track down the Northgate software to program in some macro's. However, upon receiving the keyboard, I could not get it to work with my computer. I decided I didn't want to spend hours tracking down ancient software, so I wired up a Pro Micro and flashed it with Soarer's firmware:

Note my DasKeyboard cameo; it has the Box Pale Blue switches that I referenced before. In case you're wondering, yes, I have tried Box Navy and Jade; I like the Pale Blues better.

There were a few some rust spots on the mounting plate, and it was grey. I don’t like grey mounting plates. I sanded off the rust, hit the rust spots with some rust converter, and spray painted it satin black. I also (messily) cut out some craft foam. The overhang won't be noticeable with switches installed, but the acoustic damping I strove to achieve should be fairly obvious:

Here is the PCB and mounting plate reunited:

Also note the foam I put in the bottom case. I noticed that, because there was nothing to support the middle of the mounting plate/PCB, it flexed quite a bit when pressed upon. The foam supports I built up solved that problem! Now it feels even more solid, and the foam should make the typing noise a little less hollow.

I cleaned and lubricated the Pine Black ALPS sliders and top housings:

Unfortunately, upon reassembly, the switches were still slightly scratchy. However, I have a Dell AT101W that I got brand new.  I don't use it much, so I am swapping the Pine Black sliders with the Bamboo black sliders. I feel kind of bad for my Dell. I love that keyboard! It's mostly for looks though: it's the black version, which I think looks particularly sinister and imposing. Nevertheless, the Pine Black ALPS feel amazing with the sliders from the Dell, and I plan to actually use my Northgate, so I will be swapping away later this week. I also ordered slightly stiffer, new springs for these switches. I like switches with a medium heavy weighting. The stock weighting is almost heavy enough for me, so I suspect it will be heaven once the springs arrive and I get everything assembled.

If you don't like irreversible modifications to vintage keyboards, enter at our own risk! Now, I know that this Omnikey is at least somewhat rare and unusual. I also know that it hails from an era in which everything was beige; to many, beige keyboards symbolize a time when products were built to last. However, this keyboard was just too beige for me. I therefore dyed the top plastic case black. I am not touching the bottom metal case:

I even dyed the back of the top case, even though it will never be seen once assembled:

For now, that's it! I need to harvest the Bamboo black sliders and wait for the new springs to arrive before I can assemble the switches. I believe the springs should be here on Friday, so stay tuned!

Offline applehugger

Re: Northgate Omnikey with Windows Keys: Build Log
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 20:22:10 »
Well, my Omnikey build is complete... for now. I'll clarify that statement a little bit later.

I got my springs off of SPRiT on eBay, who was very friendly and helpful. SPRiT is the only person selling replacement springs for ALPS switches to my knowledge, and I am extremely happy with these springs.
The springs were shipped out quickly and arrived yesterday. They are of excellent quality. I ordered two different weights: ones that actuated with 65cN of force, and ones with actuated with 70cN of force. I ended up going with the latter, as the slightly heavier weighting just felt perfect. SPRiT also included two springs at 85cN actuation, and two at 100cN actuation for the spacebar, which was awesome! I put the 85cN ones in the Enter key and spacebar, and the 100cN ones went into the Escape key and the tilde key, as I remap the tilde to run an Alt-F4 macro. The springs feel great and are extremely consistent.

As aforementioned, I was swapping the sliders from a Dell AT101W with Bamboo Black ALPS I have that I got basically brand new. The sliders from the Pine Black ALPS still felt scratchy, even after applying a dry lubricant. So, the switches ended up having new sliders and new springs; I only reused the top housings (which I lubricated), base, and tactile leaves (which are in great condition). Here's what my workspace looked like as I was making these switches (the plate you see is not from the Omnikey):

It took quite a while to make all of the switches I needed! A few also needed some persuasion to work; I tested each one, and even though I cleaned all of the bottom housings with a paintbrush using 91% isporopyl alcohol and compressed air, about 40% required a second cleaning before they would actuate reliably. Finally, I ended up with a sizeable pile of working switches, all of which felt just right:

Very unfortunately, I neglected to take a picture of the board after I installed the switches before I put on all of the keycaps, which is a real shame as it looked super cool. I needed a total of 5 extra switches. Fortunately, I have a stock of some Pine White ALPS that I desoldered off a ruined PCB, and I still have a few tactile leaves left over from some Orange ALPS that I repurposed a while ago. Here's the layout of switches I ended up with:
  • The Esc key has a base and top housing from the Pine Black ALPS and a slider from a Matias Click switch. It has a 100cN spring.
  • The Print Screen, Scroll Lock, and Pause/Break switches have bottom and top housings and the slider from the Pine White ALPS switches I had laying around. They use a tactile leaf from Orange ALPS switches, and have 70cN springs like the rest of the keyboard.
  • The spacebar has the base and top housing from the Pine White ALPS and a slider from an Orange ALPS switch; there is no tactile or click leaf as I like my spacebars to be linear. This switch has an 85cN spring in it.
So, all in all, it's fairly colorful under the keycaps without any keycaps. Here's a picture of the keyboard before assembly once I reinstalled all of the keycaps (which were in excellent condition with no shine or yellowing):

Before I installed the keycaps, I tested all of the switches and ran into some really weird problems. I'll spare you the messy details which required almost two hours of troubleshooting; in the end, I found a manual for an Avanti keyboard online (Avanti kept producing Omnikeys under their own brand after Northgate went out of business; my Omnikey is more closely related to an Avanti keyboard than to an earlier Northgate Omnikeys without Windows keys.) For reasons I still don't totally understand, this keyboard will not work properly unless the Esc key is depressed while the keyboard boots up. This happens whether I have it connected over PS/2 or via USB. Of course, I converted it to USB, so it's not too much of an issue. I just hold down the Esc key until the Num Lock light illuminates; then, it works fine. If I don't do that, a lot of keys will send the same scan codes as other keys (i.e. there might be three keys that output the letter "A".) Really weird, right? I'm just happy I figured out the problem!

Now, onto some glamour shots of the finished keyboard:

I'm super happy with the way these switches turned out! The switches are very smooth and quite tactile. I love that lovely rounded bump right at the top of the keypress. These old tactile ALPS switches just have the nicest tactility around in my opinion (and these Pine Black ALPS feel nothing like the later Bamboo Black ALPS). The only keyboard with tactile "switches" that I feel comes close to these is my Topre clone keyboard. It's a Royal Kludge fullsize, into which I swapped a 65g sheet of domes, and I lubricated the sliders. That keyboard is at work, so I can't wait to bring in my Omnikey tomorrow to compare the two.

If anyone needs any information about this fairly unusual keyboard, don't hesitate to send me a PM. I've learned a lot along the way building this. Thank you for reading!
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 April 2018, 10:29:56 by applehugger »

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 20:34:39 »
Nice, just finished making my Ultra T really nice as well. But I went all out and designed a PCB to work with a teensy++ and converted to an ANSI enter as well. And painted it with Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric "paint" but in blue instead of black. And I also painted my plate satin black.

Really digging the look of yours!!!

btw, still have 5 PCBs available if you wanted one. They are also black, so it would go nice with your plate and case top.

EDIT: as for the simplified alps, are they in fairly okay condition? My pines don't reliably click anymore...and I need new leafs in quite a lot of them.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 April 2018, 20:37:16 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline applehugger

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 20:41:51 »
Nice, just finished making my Ultra T really nice as well. But I went all out and designed a PCB to work with a teensy++ and converted to an ANSI enter as well. And painted it with Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric "paint" but in blue instead of black. And I also painted my plate satin black.

btw, still have 5 PCBs available if you wanted one. They are also black, so it would go nice with your plate and case top.

EDIT: as for the simplified alps, are they in fairly okay condition? My pines don't reliably click anymore...and I need new leafs in quite a lot of them.

I'm sending you a PM regarding the PCB, which sounds really intriguing.

Regarding the simplified ALPS, they are in very good condition. They're consistent and not scratchy. However, as I mentioned, I think Matias click switches are better overall switches; Matias really perfected the Simplified ALPS design in my opinion.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 20:43:17 »

I'm sending you a PM regarding the PCB, which sounds really intriguing.

Regarding the simplified ALPS, they are in very good condition. They're consistent and not scratchy. However, as I mentioned, I think Matias click switches are better overall switches; Matias really perfected the Simplified ALPS design in my opinion.

I prefer pines over any other. I just need new click leafs as these are quite old and nasty to a degree.

Offline applehugger

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 21:00:42 »
I prefer pines over any other. I just need new click leafs as these are quite old and nasty to a degree.

These should be perfect then! By the way, I used the same Dupli-Color vinyl dye as you did. It's really an amazing product. I'm somewhat jealous of your Ultra model, as I would love to have those extra keys on the left side! Your keyboard looks super cool in blue.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 21:04:48 »

These should be perfect then! By the way, I used the same Dupli-Color vinyl dye as you did. It's really an amazing product. I'm somewhat jealous of your Ultra model, as I would love to have those extra keys on the left side! Your keyboard looks super cool in blue.

Yeah that dye is the best thing I have ever used, way better than normal paint. Figured you did as that looks almost the same as my board but black.

Yeah I got really lucky with this board, only paid $95 for it but it had a corroded PCB and a few bad switches, but the rest of it was really nice.

Offline applehugger

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 11:02:22 »
As alluded to in the posts above, I ended up purchasing a custom PCB designed and produced by BlindAssassin111 for my Omnikey. I'm super happy to have been able to grab one of the extras; it was very reasonably priced to boot! The PCB is due to arrive tomorrow; however, I still need to order diodes, LED's, and a Teensey++. Furthermore, I need to learn how to program using the QMK firmware, with which I am currently totally unfamiliar. I have a very busy schedule over the next few weeks, so I opted to finish my Omnikey with the stock PCB and revisit this project in the future once I have more time. I am very excited to be typing all of this on my Omnikey!