Author Topic: What do/did you want in life? (Hopefully motivational for aimless people)  (Read 3195 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
As I have no imagination or motivation for life I thought a thread where people who are at least somewhat like me* could share their goals might inspire me to do something before I inevitably fade to dust in around 40 years time.  I'm sure there are others on here in a similar situation who could benefit too...

So what do you want in life and why?  Or if you're lucky enough to have achieved something what have you found rewarding in your life?

* somewhat worryingly of all the people on here I relate best to tp4 but I lack his unshakeable confidence and autonomy
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Thanks, sadly the pics aren't showing on my phone but if the mention of flow is anything to go by it won't help.  The flow theory is right that time passes quickly when you're totally engrossed in a task even if you don't consciously enjoy it (such as painting a fence or cleaning something awkward) but once completed the feeling is 'now what?' and there will never be enough things to do to distract from a whole lifetime.

The common answer to this seems to be to start a family which does take a lot of time, but in my current mindset I wouldn't want to make another human go through this pointless, seemingly endless, bore.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
but once completed the feeling is 'now what?' and there will never be enough things to do to distract from a whole lifetime.
The answer is mindfulness.

Offline Findecanor

I have no motivation either.

I once had a selfish dream that I would overhear random people talk excitedly and positively about some software project that I had been a big part of.
That happened ... but not the way I wanted. It was a product at a company I hated, that drove people too hard into stress-related illnesses, that did not deserve the hype it got. I was ashamed that I had by doing my job been instrumental in developing its tech, and therefore keep the company alive. I was ashamed that I was working there. That company gave me cancer — and that's not a euphemism: I literally got cancer whilst working there.
(I have been healthy for many years though, so no worries there.)
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 April 2018, 04:18:16 by Findecanor »

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
I find that it's not about having something you want, It's more about actually enjoying the little things in life that give you pleasure.

As a personal example me and my girlfriend want to buy a house. Wanting that doesn't make me happy, it gives me a motivation to suffer through a hateful job but it doesn't bring me joy.
What does make me happy is going out to a nice coffee in the morning sun on a saturday or drinking a nice beer at night with friends. My goals don't make me happy just for having them they just provide a focus and a reasoning for the hard parts of my day.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females

Happiness is a LIE..

It's a marketing strategy to sell narcotics to the masses.

A biological lifeform has 2 basic modes.

Alive or Dead.

Anything that happens which facilitate Being or Staying Alive = Good

__  Some of these circumstances may be perceived by the brain as Happy

Anything that happens to the Detriment or Reduction of Living = Bad

__ Some of these circumstances may be perceived by the brain as Unhappy

---- We are the pursuit of LIFE, against all cost, and against ALL OPPOSITION.

The Modern Zombie like state of mind is common because humanity has triumphed over Short-term Obstacles.

We do not advance much as individuals, and so the majority turn to Hedonism to Feel-anything-at-all.

Hedonism however is not a programmed goal.

Hedonism is equivalent of Tricking the Sensor.

In addiction studies they wired up a Mouse with a pedal which injects cocaine.

The mouse kept pressing the damn thing until it killed him.

The majority of Consumer industry is in the Manufacturing of Narcotic level experiences, and delivery Pedals.

Narcotics in Sheep's Clothing.

-Milk products (Casomorphine, works similarly to real morphine)
-Coffee
-Chocolate
-pr0n
-Soda Pop
-Cinnabon
-Doritos/Cheetos
-Popeyes Fried Chicken

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
This is not the future I was promised.  I use the word "promised" loosely.

There is nothing that I ever imagined I would want in life, that I now crave.

I have no idea where I want to go from now, or what I want to do.

There will come a time when someone thinks of you or says your name for the very last time ever.  That might be hundreds of years in the future, but that day will come.

After that you will not even be a memory.

This is probably not helping, sorry.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
That company gave me cancer — and that's not a euphemism: I literally got cancer whilst working there.
Glad to see the edit, I had no response to the original.  Let's hope the thread picks up and something resonates with us...

I find that it's not about having something you want, It's more about actually enjoying the little things in life that give you pleasure.

As a personal example me and my girlfriend want to buy a house. Wanting that doesn't make me happy, it gives me a motivation to suffer through a hateful job but it doesn't bring me joy.
What does make me happy is going out to a nice coffee in the morning sun on a saturday or drinking a nice beer at night with friends. My goals don't make me happy just for having them they just provide a focus and a reasoning for the hard parts of my day.
So in my terms you've achieved part 1 of your life (finding friends and a partner you want to live with) and for part 2 you're continuing to sacrifice any chance of getting enjoyment in the half of your life spent at work so you can get a house.  Interesting.  I think the whole 'love/relationships' thing has to be experienced, without that it makes no sense.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
I have no motivation either.

I once had a selfish dream that I would overhear random people talk excitedly and positively about some software project that I had been a big part of.
That happened ... but not the way I wanted. It was a product at a company I hated, that drove people too hard into stress-related illnesses, that did not deserve the hype it got. I was ashamed that I had by doing my job been instrumental in developing its tech, and therefore keep the company alive. I was ashamed that I was working there. That company gave me cancer — and that's not a euphemism: I literally got cancer whilst working there.

100% Veggies prevent and (reverse)_some cancers.

Reduces IGF1 lvls
Reduces Exposure to Dioxins
Reduces Exposure to Industrial Pollutants
Reduces Exposure to Mercury

Carcinogens are concentrated up the food chain. Plant foods have the Least.

Offline fanpeople

On a happier note, all tp ever wanted to do was waffle on about incoherent vegi advocacy and he has finally achieved his goal.

My aspirations at various stages, lets put this into perspective....

GOAL                                   Result                                 Feelings about this now
Age 12      Finish Final Fantasy VII     NOPE                                      Meh, I've seen the Sephiroth battle on Youtube.
Age 16      Become a train driver       NOPE                                      Lucky escape, I would be a human blimp if I was on a chair all day
Age 18      Have a threeway              NOPE                                      Probably would have been some sort of double dead fish
                                                                                                    experience  anyway
Age 21      Buy a Rolex                     NOPE                                      Meh, I like Tudor better now anyway
Age 22      Get a University Degree   MISSION COMPLETE                 NOW REGRET MUCH MONEY, just paid off.
Age 24-25 Go overseas                    MISSION COMPLETE                 I discovered I hate Vespers, like really hate them.
Age 26 Can I get a taxi number        MISSION COMPLETE                 Turns out your pay goes up but so does the workload so it evens
                                                                                                    out.

I could list a bunch of more aspirations at time in my life but the common theme here is...

The things I ended up doing (yes these were my actual aspirations) didn't really make me feel accomplished and the things I did not achieve seem like stupid/pointless ideas in retrospect.

When I occasionally see my childhood friends we will get in the car and just cruise around blaring music like ****wit teenagers. This actually brings me the most joy. Especially when the police pull you over and start with the attitude. Then check your licence and realize you have been driving longer then them, never had a fine and your car is actually roadworthy.

So pretty much what was stated below, its the little things in life that fulfill you. Goals are just a way of tricking you into thinking that you need to actually take on big tasks.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
So in my terms you've achieved part 1 of your life (finding friends and a partner you want to live with) and for part 2 you're continuing to sacrifice any chance of getting enjoyment in the half of your life spent at work so you can get a house.  Interesting.  I think the whole 'love/relationships' thing has to be experienced, without that it makes no sense.

Well I can still get enjoyment after I leave work and on weekends, I'm not deprived of it during my working part of life.
And I do it because it's the only way I know how to sustain myself. If I didn't have a job I would not be able to have a social life at all so it's better to suffer 8 hours than to have zero enjoyment.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
I typed up a long sad reply and it timed out.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
I typed up a long sad reply and it timed out.....

Quick, hit backspace.. we must learn the lessons by Ray of Spam

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
I maintain a relatively positive attitude (usually) regardless of the situation I'm in; and, I tend to favor socially acceptable behaviour. But, that doesn't always mean I am equipped to handle myself in most social settings. Due to eternal (bone aesthetic--from an accident) issues beyond my control, I've been an outcast of sorts since age 12 (meh). Out of practice, not lost in time. I've developed a lot of little skills over the years that could add up to some kind of success. My main goal is to find a way to script up some small talk without feeling like my presence is upsetting the populace.

tl;dr
After I figure out the how: the wheres, and whens that affect change. Or something.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
I maintain a relatively positive attitude (usually) regardless of the situation I'm in; and, I tend to favor socially acceptable behaviour. But, that doesn't always mean I am equipped to handle myself in most social settings. Due to eternal (bone aesthetic--from an accident) issues beyond my control, I've been an outcast of sorts since age 12 (meh). Out of practice, not lost in time. I've developed a lot of little skills over the years that could add up to some kind of success. My main goal is to find a way to script up some small talk without feeling like my presence is upsetting the populace.

tl;dr
After I figure out the how: the wheres, and whens that affect change. Or something.

Tp4 Totes relate..

Tp4 has developed an emulation layer over the years which works well in superficial AFK situations,

There however remains a nearly unbridgeable gap between Tp4 the OS and other Humans.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
Even though I am in a far better position that I was in the past I can't exactly say that I'm happy. Certain things haven't turned out the way I was hoping, though that doesn't mean it can't change in the future. I really don't want that much out of life, but it seems like what little I do want is always just out of my grasp.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
I always wanted to be a video game designer pretty much my entire life. At least since I was 4 years  old I would draw out level and character designs. Never thought I'd have the opportunity to go to college, but somehow did and got into my top choice school on scholarship. Discovered game design requires a fair amount of programming, which I also discovered I am not only very bad at but really really dislike doing. REALLY disliked it.

So now I have no direction and don't really care about my career anymore, I just care about whoever offers me to biggest paycheck. And I also have no real applicable technical skills even though I set myself up to be in the tech industry like an idiot, and that's where all my experience and knowledge is. I am basically just waiting to die now.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: What do/did you want in life? (NOT motivational at all...)
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 14:58:50 »
Judging by the responses so far I think this thread needs renaming :(
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
I still have the drive and purpose to keep pursuing my dreams, all is not hopeless. But in much the same vein, I thought I wanted to be a programmer, but it's one of the few things I'm not very good at. Luckily I somehow managed to get in as a QA Engineer and it's made me a lot happier than I was. But I still don't feel like I am making enough since Boston has such a high cost of living (I don't know how people here survive on even double minimum wage). I am lightly looking for a new job that will bring in a higher paycheck, but I'm also happy where I am, since I don't actually do that much work and I get free food and drinks...  :-X
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Just think of the aimless people who will be motivated because they aren't as bad off as other posters.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Just think of the aimless people who will be motivated because they aren't as bad off as other posters.

^^

Offline flyingpike

“Inspiration is for amateurs — the rest of us just show up and get to work.” - Chuck Close

If you're waiting for motivation or some sort of, I have bad news. It's probably not going to come. And even if it does, it won't last so you're right back where you started once the spark fades.

Discipline is the key to long-term success (however you define it). I am sure there are exceptions, but if you look at the best people in their respective fields, the common thread is that they kept at it and had some luck.

I had big dreams of working on Wall St and making mad $$$ in college. Well I graduated and moved to a much smaller town for a girl and took the first job I could get, which happened to be in Logistics. Which I knew would be boring. And it was. But I liked at least a couple of the people I worked with so I decided to stick with it and make the best of it. And there were days I hated it and never wanted to work again, but I just came in every day, did my job, and tried to learn things. Day in, day out, whether I was "motivated" or not. I got better at it, and as I got better at it I liked it more. I got promoted once, then again, and then again. I have 50+ people working for me now and make a comfortable living without killing myself at work, and still have time for hobbies like this one.

Perhaps the most important thing I learned is that personal happiness doesn't precede being a productive member of society but the opposite was true for me. You won't just get some magic spark one day and then know you have something to strive for. But having the discipline to be a productive member of society (and by that I mean is using your time, talents, and treasure to make the lives of people better) will lead, in at least some sense, to if not happiness, then at least some satisfaction with how you spend your time.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
To be slightly better and more informed than the day before.

Sounds dumb to some but it works for me. Yeah I'm always happy but I find myself enjoying life a lot more than I did in years prior. I hit a pretty low spot a few years back and knew something had to change.

Working out and powerlifting give me ways to set little goals each day. Something to work towards.

I don't wholly enjoy my job but after hopelessly searching for a job a year after graduation, I can say I'm happy to have something that I enjoy a little. It's in my field and I get to employ my degree and coursework.

Still lost on the working towards starting a family front though but I can say I'm enjoying working on myself.

I guess this is just rambling by this point though.

Offline fanpeople

which happened to be in Logistics.

YAY logistic buddies.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
I want the money, money and the cars
Cars and the clothes, the hoes, I suppose
I just wanna be, I just wanna be successful

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Not sure about others but this is the opposite for me.  If I had serious problems I could understand and accept that being happy coincides with their absence and work to solve them, but I don't.  Even when I had a convenient 9-5 working with people I like which paid the bills I was not happy, and I'm no more or less so now I lost the job.  Swapped office work for helping my cousin doing plumbing which couldn't be more different yet it's the same - I 'work', waste time, eat and sleep.  This, to me, is the definition of existing.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fanpeople

Not sure about others but this is the opposite for me.  If I had serious problems I could understand and accept that being happy coincides with their absence and work to solve them, but I don't.  Even when I had a convenient 9-5 working with people I like which paid the bills I was not happy, and I'm no more or less so now I lost the job.  Swapped office work for helping my cousin doing plumbing which couldn't be more different yet it's the same - I 'work', waste time, eat and sleep.  This, to me, is the definition of existing.

Have you tried Amsterdam?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Have you tried Amsterdam?
No, that would be at best a couple of months looking forward to the trip probably followed by a blank where memories should be.  Smoking buddies disappear from your life just as quickly as former colleagues when you move on, I speak from experience.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
“Inspiration is for amateurs — the rest of us just show up and get to work.” - Chuck Close

If you're waiting for motivation or some sort of, I have bad news. It's probably not going to come. And even if it does, it won't last so you're right back where you started once the spark fades.

Discipline is the key to long-term success (however you define it). I am sure there are exceptions, but if you look at the best people in their respective fields, the common thread is that they kept at it and had some luck.

I had big dreams of working on Wall St and making mad $$$ in college. Well I graduated and moved to a much smaller town for a girl and took the first job I could get, which happened to be in Logistics. Which I knew would be boring. And it was. But I liked at least a couple of the people I worked with so I decided to stick with it and make the best of it. And there were days I hated it and never wanted to work again, but I just came in every day, did my job, and tried to learn things. Day in, day out, whether I was "motivated" or not. I got better at it, and as I got better at it I liked it more. I got promoted once, then again, and then again. I have 50+ people working for me now and make a comfortable living without killing myself at work, and still have time for hobbies like this one.

Perhaps the most important thing I learned is that personal happiness doesn't precede being a productive member of society but the opposite was true for me. You won't just get some magic spark one day and then know you have something to strive for. But having the discipline to be a productive member of society (and by that I mean is using your time, talents, and treasure to make the lives of people better) will lead, in at least some sense, to if not happiness, then at least some satisfaction with how you spend your time.

It's fortunate and overall a good-call by -user- flyingpike to have redefined success and motivation for himself. To remain productive against what is a generally debilitating monotonous working environment.

That said.. I don't believe the general awareness of crippling occupational dissatisfaction is something that people just aught to power through and take.

When work goes towards the right goal, whatever sacrifices or unhappiness must be, must be.

However that is assuming our work was in the right direction.

I always go back to the pizza maker.

On the surface, he could have a successful pizzaria, drive a nice car, fat wife, fat children, All is great.

However, his majority client, buys pizzas and throws them in a river because they're looking for Bessy the sea monster.

Yes, the Pizza maker is making money, but you see the problem here. The pizza maker converts his LIFE-force into pizzas. The clients are throwing the life of the pizza maker away.

This cycle of waste describes the majority of human efforts in today's industries.  And it is also the ROOT of work dissatisfaction.

The leadership of today many times abuse and piss away the labor in their charge.

This isn't all industries, but it's quite pervasive.

Now, I don't blame anyone,  I see this as a consequence of Human limits. Our leaders are human,  they are not omniscient. 

But it would be shortsighted to believe that there is Nothing-Wrong. There is a great deal of mental back-ground processing, and in many people, perhaps all people, that parallel consciousness is well aware whether their efforts are really contributing to a better life for themselves/others/humanity,  and it sends signals to the frontal lobe, -Hey buddy, your pizzas are giving children diabetes, maybe not so good-

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Never heard of him so looked him up - unfortunate childhood but freerolled through the best education and was lucky enough to meet inspirational people and has made lots of money doing something that didn't improve the lives of all but a couple of people.  In my world clearly he's inspired to do art but he doesn't seem to recognise this, and the quote comes across like he's mocking those who aren't so lucky...  Sounds harsh but F-U Chuck (yes, I'm just jealous!)

On the other hand I'm happy that flyingpike is happy with a simple life - still jealous, but at least he's not a **** about it.

Edit: Read more, he gave a couple of pieces to charity
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 April 2018, 03:20:37 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod