Author Topic: Book recommendations thread  (Read 3253 times)

Offline strider8

Book recommendations thread
« on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 11:45:34 »
Hello I've recently started to read a lot more so I'd like to share some of my recommendations as well as allow others to share theirs.

Fiction

The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
- Reads like a more grown up version of Harry Potter but not as intense as GOT. Suitable for bedtime reading.

The Alchemist by Paolo Coellho
- A simple yet deep story of a Spanish shepherd who is on a quest to find treasure.

Nonfiction

Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss
- An expose on America's processed food industry

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Book recommendations thread
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 11:55:13 »
I am in the last chapter of "Russian Roulette" by Issikov and Corn, well worth the time to really understand the situation that we are in today.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36222733-russian-roulette

Before that "Enlightenment Now" by Stephen Pinker, perhaps the best book ever by my favorite author.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35696171-enlightenment-now

And for something completely different:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/937168.Hendrix
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 12:35:37 »
The King Killer Chronicles (Name of the Wind, Wise Mans Fear, ...) is definitely one of my top 5 favorite trilogies, and the 3rd book isnt even out yet.

The Expanse James SA Corey is up there.

Mistborn trilogy Brandon Sanderson

Brilliance series by Marcus Sakey is fantastic.
-Dana

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 13:02:07 »
All the Gaia books by James Lovelock..

We're all gonna die.. is the synopsis..

--also, do young humans even read books these days.

-- I just assume they google bacon, puppies, and marijuana, read the first 3 links and yolo ...

Offline JP

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 13:31:09 »
The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline flyingpike

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 14:47:10 »

+1, if you do get it, get the recent Gregory Hays translation version, it is much more accessible than any other versions I’ve seen.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 18:12:49 »

+1, if you do get it, get the recent Gregory Hays translation version, it is much more accessible than any other versions I’ve seen.

".... that he had overcome all passion for boys; ""

Hahahahhahahahaa....  in this case they meant childish things like keyboard collecting..  but still funny..

Ya'll are a bunch of hypocrites..  clearly ya'll don't practice what's being preached..  hahahaha

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 19:24:49 »
Everything in this book if put in plain-speak would be thoroughly equivalent of today's common idioms.

Anyone capable of reading these translations is likely well versed in the subject it covers.

A person who can read it doesn't need it.  and a person who may need it can find it in the plebeian form of general truths.

The act of reading this stuff then only serves the sophists that Marcus refers to , who aggrandize themselves by lavish display of the superficial, in place of truly improving through deep self reflection

Offline JP

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 19:28:56 »

Hahahahhahahahaa....  in this case they meant childish things like keyboard collecting..  but still funny..

Ya'll are a bunch of hypocrites..  clearly ya'll don't practice what's being preached..  hahahaha

No, not boyish things and this sort of behavior was totally accepted and common in ancient Greek and Roman society. He truly had no equals in his time and there certainly are none today. Why are we hypocrites and who is preaching anything?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 19:41:37 »

Ya'll are a bunch of hypocrites..  clearly ya'll don't practice what's being preached..  hahahaha[/size][/color]

No, not boyish things and this sort of behavior was totally accepted and common in ancient Greek and Roman society. He truly had no equals in his time and there certainly are none today. Why are we hypocrites and who is preaching anything?

I annexed an example of what a boyish thing may be,  whereas he refers to it as a grab-all category for frivolities in youth.

The point is, collecting keyboards as artificial tokens of life's progress as practiced by most Gekhakrs would be a boyish thing.

and, the hypocrisy is in preaching that one has read and affixed himself to higher-truths (this big wordy word book), while still personally frequenting the mire of which is HERE.

That said, I still think the translations are worth reading for its interesting syntax.

Offline JP

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 20:25:53 »

Ya'll are a bunch of hypocrites..  clearly ya'll don't practice what's being preached..  hahahaha[/size][/color]

I annexed an example of what a boyish thing may be,  whereas he refers to it as a grab-all category for frivolities in youth.

The point is, collecting keyboards as artificial tokens of life's progress as practiced by most Gekhakrs would be a boyish thing.

and, the hypocrisy is in preaching that one has read and affixed themselves to higher-truths (this big wordy word book), while still personally frequenting the mire of which is HERE.

That said, I still think the translations are worth reading for its interesting syntax.

I never said I even read it or affixed myself to it's contents nor had anyone else here really. So what if we don't meet all of the principals contained within. We are all in the mire of life, not just the mire of this forum as you put it. No one is perfect but that shouldn't stop someone from aspiring for something greater is they choose to seek it out.

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 22:03:10 »
Letters to a Young Contrarian, Christopher Hitchens (despite the pompous title a great book).
Napoleon the Great, Andrew Roberts (a long read but fascinating)

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 22:12:46 »
Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle

It's wonderfully written, original as all hell, and overall a quick read.

I would recommend for anyone interested in 'Ready Player One'. They're similar in some regards, though I think Darnielle is better with words.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 06:22:42 »
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series

Offline JP

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 08:00:49 »
Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!: Adventures of a Curious Character by Richard Feynman
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 May 2018, 09:26:51 by JP »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 10:21:14 »
Although there have been many of these threads, I need to add my most monumental science fiction favorite to this one, too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revelation_Space
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 00:30:43 »
Although there have been many of these threads, I need to add my most monumental science fiction favorite to this one, too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revelation_Space

Downloading it now. I'm a big fan of authors who have a background in the subject.
-Dana

Offline strider8

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 13:27:57 »
Great recommendations so far!

One I'll add: The Dhammapada

The original teachings of the Buddha. Surprisingly accesible 3,000 years later.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 May 2018, 13:37:41 by strider8 »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 03:19:54 »
Anything by Philip Roth. I'm a fan of "Indignation".

Offline proto

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 21:38:46 »
fiction
hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy
Lord of the rings or anything by tolkien really (tough reads for some but still one of my favorite series/worlds)
C.S. Lewis's space series
non fiction
I could list of a million coffee table books that I enjoy but i'll stick to longer books
Skunk Works by Ben R Rich
Philo T Farnsworth (biography)

Offline Tactile

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 16:05:03 »
The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death by Charlie Huston
REΛLFORCE

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 12:08:46 »
oh god

lemme look at my list, i'll come back this evening and make a big one
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline goodman247

• It's confirmed, I'm an idiot.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 01:43:30 »
As mentioned before, Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy is always a great choice, and if you're looking for something that is more mainstream and proven to be good, then I would say go with Harry Potter series!!