Author Topic: QWERKYWRITER keyboard  (Read 3257 times)

Offline Lammie

QWERKYWRITER keyboard
« on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 12:49:13 »
I just saw a picture from geekhack member who makes the qwerkywriter. And thought I really need to share this:

Wow, this is a very nice project! Certainly got my support! Was thinking about this project just the other day. I'm a writer and have collected the most rare and the best manual typewriters for typists and writers. See my Etsy webshop:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/iLoveTypewriter?ref=si_shop

Saw the video, and it said that the qwerkywriter will get an unique switchtype? I was even more curious. However, I saw that the qwerkywriter is selling with MX blue's. It's a fine switch, but it may not imitate the manual typewriter feel that well in my humble opinion.
Cause having both a big collection of manual typewriters, electronic typewriters and mechanical keyboards. I know, from experience, not a single mechanical keyboard actually truly 100% feels like a manual typewriter. But we can come close the manual typewriter feel. No, the Model M doesn't feel like a manual typewriter I think, but it is used on their IBM selectrics and Daysie wheels. Still very nice!
There are some points I would like to address, please see it as advise:

1. A typewriter seen from the side, the rows of keys are in a 'stair' sort of form. Unlike on non-manual typewriter keyboards (computer keyboards or keyboards on electronic typewriters), which are mostly 'flat' or have a gradual increase in height. Never 90 degree angles, seperates the rows. Meaning, typing technic on a manual typewriter is different from a modern keyboard. Some people type faster on a manual typewriter than on a modern keyboard. I'm one of them. Maybe the qwerkywriter can also add more or less the 'stair' sort of form into its design. I find this point really important. And something I truly miss on modern keyboards. The whole typing experience is different because of this fact.

2. Having felt and tried almost 100 different manual typewriters. Manual typewriters always have a long key-travel. Because the typeslug needs to hit the platen, in order to type a letter on paper. But that's alright with mechanical switches. Most switches have a long key travel. Moreover, all the typewriter keys feel more or less similar;
-Actuation point is always at the bottom (because only when the key is fully pressed, it will hit the platen). Whereas Cherry MX switches actuation point is in de middle.
-The keyfeel is always a linear switch key feel.
-There is never a tactile bump on manual typewriters.
-But there is always a high feel of resistance from the top of the key, compared to the bottom of the key. Because the most energy lies in moving the typebar up, and then hitting the platen.
-The keys on typewriters always automatically bounces back, so a switchtype with somewhat strong spring may be required. Topre switches would not be suitable for this project, because it doesn't bounce back strong enough.
-The energy put on the key is linear, but unlike on MX Blacks, the further the key is pushed downward, the less resistant the key becomes. So, in this regard, it is sort of Topre feel, that after the 'tactile bump' at the top of the key, the whole feel just collapses.
-Also, manual typewriter keys always have a lot of space between the keys (distance between each key). Similar to island style keyboards. This makes typing, more accurate.

So, I think, that we need a switchtype that is sort of Topre 55g, linear in feel, no tactile bump in the middle, not clicky, long travel, actuation force at bottom of key.

More realistically for the project, I think MX Blacks or MX Reds will be more suitable than MX Blue's, greens, Brown or Clears. Ideally, try to mod the linear MX switches with different springs. Preferably, something in between MX Reds and Blacks.
The most comfortable typewriter and considered the holy grail of typewriters is the Seidel & Naumann Erika 9 typewriter. Or a Erika 8 typewriter. If you can get one of these as example for the project, that would be amazing.
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Re: QWERKYWRITER keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 12:20:55 »
Hey, I actually bought a typewriter from you off your Etsy website.  The Voss.  Small world.

The creator the Qwertywriter started a thread around here.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58568.0
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 12:31:37 »
Also, I agree with you about the switch types, a linear switch would be better to recreate the typewriter.  Probably MX black.

Offline Lammie

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 13:16:56 »
A small world indeed! Didn't know other typewriter lovers are active here too. Though was the only one who collect both. So, what is your favorite kb/switch?
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 13:23:30 »
A small world indeed! Didn't know other typewriter lovers are active here too. Though was the only one who collect both. So, what is your favorite kb/switch?

Probably my favorite switch is the capacitive buckling spring on the IBM Model F keyboards.  Also, Cherry switches can feel great if they have a lot of weight underneath them with a thick metal plate or case.

The typewriter lovers seem to be few around here, but we have a bit of a thread going:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58284.0

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 22:00:38 »
NECRO!!!

Looks like it's official

http://www.qwerkywriter.com/

It's also been featured on engadget as a giveaway

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 22:05:38 »
Neato. Shame it's using MX Blues.

Offline Suruga Devil

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 07:08:12 »
Interesting stuff. If the keyspacing is standard it might be an interesting board to swap keys into.

The price, though...

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 08:22:41 »
Interesting stuff. If the keyspacing is standard it might be an interesting board to swap keys into.

The price, though...

It's not  :'(

Been looking for black crap bag SA caps that might fit on the shifts for a while now.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 10:12:11 »
That looks pretty spiffy. Does that handle on the top left do anything?

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 10:48:11 »
No right menu mod = not for me...
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 11:34:26 »
That looks pretty spiffy. Does that handle on the top left do anything?

It's a programmable macro actually haha. It's automatically set to "Enter." I currently have it set to "Enter + Tab" to start a new paragraph when writing.

I've thought about putting in my email as well but unfortunately it's only up to five characters.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 11:47:27 »
Oh my....that just made want this even more. So expensive though haha.

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 12:38:43 »
Forgive my ignorance, but exactly for what purpose are you using it for?
Cherry is the Maker, Topre is the God

FC660C             FC750R (reds)     FC750R (blues)

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 14:06:47 »
Forgive my ignorance, but exactly for what purpose are you using it for?

Menu key?  It is like right clicking, w/o having to move my hand to my mouse.  Use it all the time, especially in excel.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 15:18:46 »
Isn't that what USB typewriter is for?
I collect typewriters, mechanical calculators and analogue cameras. May I ask what your "favourite" typewriter(s) are, or what you are looking for in a typewriter? My quest for a ideal typewriter has since come to an end when I realised that it was never build, and now never will.

All typewriters are more or less flawed in their design, and not very efficient, and If they are, they are usually electric or electronic. The closest to perfecting the typewriter came the Blickensderfer and Hammond machines, but their development eventually lead nowhere, since by then typewriters where standardised and the marked was taken over by simpler type-bar machines, whish at the time offered more efficiency and speed. No innovation any more, not until IBM came up with their Selectric, a concept that could have been realised decades earlier, fully manual, more reliable and smaller, lighter. I could design the perfect typewriter, but there is of cause no market for that any more. This glorious idea and marvel of engineering will forever just be a dream of mine. 
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 June 2016, 15:30:35 by Olumin »