Author Topic: [IC] Lunar AEK 65% - 100% Complete.  (Read 127227 times)

Offline Poblopuablo

Re: [IC] Lunar AEK 65% - Manufacturing (again!) - B-stock available soon
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 22:19:43 »
Please let us know when emails go out forbuying in on  b-stock  options. My email is pretty diligent about spam foldering emails. So if I see something there I'll be sure to double check.

Also when you say "soon" do you mean like in the next day or two or in a month or so? (Wondering if I should pick up another board as a project if this will take a month.... Then I can buy that one and then save up money for this. :) )

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #201 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 14:31:35 »
So then a discounted A-stock from this run is going to be of better material than what the 50 original GB members payed $350+ for? I really don't like that.

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
« Reply #202 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 18:20:50 »
So then a discounted A-stock from this run is going to be of better material than what the 50 original GB members payed $350+ for? I really don't like that.

I'm not sure where you got that I will be discounting A-stock.

I've mentioned it previously but people who were in the GB will have a choice of if they want a unit from the original run or if they would like one from the second run. At this time, I'm not sure that I will have any cases from the initial run that are perfect, but the cases with the least amount of blemishes will be available first to those in the GB.

As far as a better material is concerned, each type of aluminum has it's pros and cons based on what qualities someone is looking for in a keyboard. Because of this, I'll be offering original customers priority on the cases from the initial run.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #203 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 18:22:04 »
Please let us know when emails go out forbuying in on  b-stock  options. My email is pretty diligent about spam foldering emails. So if I see something there I'll be sure to double check.

Also when you say "soon" do you mean like in the next day or two or in a month or so? (Wondering if I should pick up another board as a project if this will take a month.... Then I can buy that one and then save up money for this. :) )

This depends on when I get responses back from all the original customers in the GB and when the cases arrive in the US. I can give you a timeframe of 1 to 2 months.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #204 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 22:46:36 »
I've come to terms that things are what they are. Any idea how much you plan to refund the original GB participants if they opt to keep the defect boards? If it at least mostly offsets the cost of getting it cerakoted, I might consider that if I can find a local shop willing to do it. That said 6 series is still good, and I could do that too. Just kind of bummed. My advice is probably useless, but maybe you could see who Rama used to manufacture the M60A? I just got mine today and its is absolutely flawless. Honestly, the best machining and anodization that I've observed in awhile.

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #205 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 23:30:30 »
I've come to terms that things are what they are. Any idea how much you plan to refund the original GB participants if they opt to keep the defect boards? If it at least mostly offsets the cost of getting it cerakoted, I might consider that if I can find a local shop willing to do it. That said 6 series is still good, and I could do that too. Just kind of bummed. My advice is probably useless, but maybe you could see who Rama used to manufacture the M60A? I just got mine today and its is absolutely flawless. Honestly, the best machining and anodization that I've observed in awhile.

Anodising different grades of aluminium is quite different, and you'll find even anodising different blocks of the same grade of aluminium can be quite different (as seen by the issues that popped up in this GB). As someone who's looked into it, anodising 7075 in particular is quite difficult, it's a low yield process where the best option is to scrap and remake cases from scratch when they have the issues you see here.

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
« Reply #206 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 14:00:53 »
Just a few moments ago I was talking to a guy who runs a private gun shop here in Croatia. I told him I'll have a piece of aluminium 7075 about 35 cm long with stains from a screwed up anodization proccess that I would like to cerakote, and I wanted to know what does he think will this work out (so far he was only doing guns in his cerkatoe oven).

He said, yeah, absolutely, just bring it here, no problems.

Now... when it comes to masking. Total thickness of one layer of cerakote can vary anywhere between 0.0125 mm - 0.0255 mm.

My conclusion is this is well within switch plate tolerances and I won't be doing any masking whatsoever because it would not have any real benefit, everything should be perfectly fine just just the way it is.

If anybody is having any experience with cerakoting and thinks my decision is wrong, please warn me before it's too late.  :D

Hm, now when I looked more deeply into the matter, things seem quite a bit more complicated than I thought at first.

It turns out, if I want to do cerakote properly, I need to remove anodising layer first. And that's a requirement to ensure proper adhering to the aluminium surface.

Now, proper way to remove surface layer is sandblasting. Cerakote is expensive, somewhere in the ballpark of $100 per keyboard, but this makes it even more expensive, although I still haven't checked how much, I guess somewhere around $50.

What I wonder though is - can I maybe remove it manually to save some cost? Like, you know, take a fine water sanding paper and do it by hand?

This definately looks doable to me, but the real question is - how thick in practical therms is the cerakote layer. Because if it's very thin, you will see scuffs from hand-sanding through the cerakote paint.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #207 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 04:56:04 »
Just a few moments ago I was talking to a guy who runs a private gun shop here in Croatia. I told him I'll have a piece of aluminium 7075 about 35 cm long with stains from a screwed up anodization proccess that I would like to cerakote, and I wanted to know what does he think will this work out (so far he was only doing guns in his cerkatoe oven).

He said, yeah, absolutely, just bring it here, no problems.

Now... when it comes to masking. Total thickness of one layer of cerakote can vary anywhere between 0.0125 mm - 0.0255 mm.

My conclusion is this is well within switch plate tolerances and I won't be doing any masking whatsoever because it would not have any real benefit, everything should be perfectly fine just just the way it is.

If anybody is having any experience with cerakoting and thinks my decision is wrong, please warn me before it's too late.  :D

Hm, now when I looked more deeply into the matter, things seem quite a bit more complicated than I thought at first.

It turns out, if I want to do cerakote properly, I need to remove anodising layer first. And that's a requirement to ensure proper adhering to the aluminium surface.

Now, proper way to remove surface layer is sandblasting. Cerakote is expensive, somewhere in the ballpark of $100 per keyboard, but this makes it even more expensive, although I still haven't checked how much, I guess somewhere around $50.

What I wonder though is - can I maybe remove it manually to save some cost? Like, you know, take a fine water sanding paper and do it by hand?

This definately looks doable to me, but the real question is - how thick in practical therms is the cerakote layer. Because if it's very thin, you will see scuffs from hand-sanding through the cerakote paint.

You're correct, the proper way to remove the top of the anodizing is to sandblast it off.

The other way, which I've seen done is using oven cleaner. It contains a small amount of lye, which is capable of dissolving aluminum. This though needs to be monitored as if it's left too long, it will start to pit the aluminum in the same fashion as when aluminum is left in anodizing etch solution for too long.

Cerakoate is on the thin side, but it's not as thin as PVD. Things like brushed surfaces will not translate onto the cerkoate but things like deep machine marks will. This is something that I would discuss with the party who is cerakoating.

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #208 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 04:58:31 »
One more thing, for everyone who is waiting for the email, I'll try and get it put together and sent out on Monday.

switchplate.co

Offline dondongler

• Gotta Light?
« Reply #209 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 23:39:18 »
Sorry to hear about the anodization woes, but definitely in for a B stock or A stock if I can grab one in time.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #210 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 11:50:32 »
What would we do about the right shift if we happen to get a b-stock case?  Do you have extras that we can buy?

Offline Windeh

• a no name
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 08:45:25 »
Just received the email and replied.

In the email it was noted that some of the cases had been re-anodized. What % of the total cases were redone and what's the effect of re-anodizing on tolerances of the case?

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 08:55:46 »
I just got the email. Are you really planning on using 5052 vs 6061 or 6063? To my knowledge no one else has used that alloy before. While it might anodize well, I'm concerned it might be too soft.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #213 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 11:11:28 »
I just got the email. Are you really planning on using 5052 vs 6061 or 6063? To my knowledge no one else has used that alloy before. While it might anodize well, I'm concerned it might be too soft.

6061 is the most popular alloy used, 6063 is probably shortly behind, and many have used 5052 before.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #214 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 18:18:12 »
Just received the email and replied.

In the email it was noted that some of the cases had been re-anodized. What % of the total cases were redone and what's the effect of re-anodizing on tolerances of the case?

I need to check with the manu about the number of cases re-anodized, but it should not affect tolerance. They were not re blasted, but rather just dropped back into the etch solution to remove the dye and seal.

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #215 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 18:20:18 »
What would we do about the right shift if we happen to get a b-stock case?  Do you have extras that we can buy?

I might have extras set aside. What I'll most likely do is that I'll put the ones from the original run up for sale and just have new ones made for the next batch of cases.

switchplate.co

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 18:44:48 »

I might have extras set aside. What I'll most likely do is that I'll put the ones from the original run up for sale and just have new ones made for the next batch of cases.

Thanks.  Also I got a handy link from someone on here where I was able to buy just a M0116 command key. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323527732106

Offline Poblopuablo

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 23 November 2018, 17:18:00 »
Are all b-stock cases accounted for?  (I Never got an email, and wondered if I missed out) of there are some please message me. :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 November 2018, 11:30:08 by Poblopuablo »

Offline Windeh

• a no name
« Reply #218 on: Fri, 23 November 2018, 20:36:54 »
Should we have gotten a reply after confirming that we would like to keep the 7075 cases? Not sure if you are just sorting the responses or my reply didn't get through.

Offline ThomasTH

« Reply #219 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 01:26:15 »
Should we have gotten a reply after confirming that we would like to keep the 7075 cases? Not sure if you are just sorting the responses or my reply didn't get through.
I also didn't get a reply, wouldve been easier to use google sheets..

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #220 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 06:00:48 »
I also didn't get a reply, wouldve been easier to use google sheets..

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

I haven't quite had time to look through all of them yet but I have 12 emails so far. I'll set up a Google sheets as soon as I can

switchplate.co

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #221 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 10:38:41 »
How much does the board weigh?
EM7 | Nunu | Salamander | RF84u | SS AEK64

Offline silversung

« Reply #222 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 18:23:49 »
Did all participants got an e-mail? Cause I didn't get any.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #223 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 01:25:51 »
Did all participants got an e-mail? Cause I didn't get any.

Still haven't sent out emails. Busy with school today and tomorrow so gonna try to get to the spreadsheet asap. Probably thursday or friday.

switchplate.co

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #224 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 05:08:44 »
I received my email, but I'd like to know if it would be possible to see some nice pictures of the already made cases. I'd like to keep the stronger aluminium but only if the anodising is not really bad. Some lines or shades wouldn't bother me if they are not easily visible

If the anodising is awful I will change to 5051 since I can't find any shop to cerakote it near me. Does anyone know someplace in or near Spain?

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #225 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 12:16:36 »
I received my email, but I'd like to know if it would be possible to see some nice pictures of the already made cases. I'd like to keep the stronger aluminium but only if the anodising is not really bad. Some lines or shades wouldn't bother me if they are not easily visible

If the anodising is awful I will change to 5051 since I can't find any shop to cerakote it near me. Does anyone know someplace in or near Spain?

+1 for pics

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #226 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 15:08:54 »

+1 for pics

There's a few pics on the previous page but that's all I have ATM. I'll be recieving the rest of the cases later this week and will try to get some pics up here early next week. Finals is coming up soonish and I'm getting busy but I'll try to keep this updated as best as possible.

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #227 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 15:09:45 »
Order Spreadsheet linked below

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11NGCWardJD73MFg-K_jqmIVKiavbQeLv1TZeVOueJi8/edit?usp=sharing

Orders in dark purple are OPT IN for the current run.

switchplate.co

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #228 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 16:21:17 »
I understand the priority is to get straight with the original GB participants.  Was the status/protocol for people who were not part of the original GB but who wish to purchase a case?  Hoping to get one when the time comes.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #229 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 06:37:28 »
I understand the priority is to get straight with the original GB participants.  Was the status/protocol for people who were not part of the original GB but who wish to purchase a case?  Hoping to get one when the time comes.

At the moment, I have 13 people in the original GB who want the original run of the cases. Once they pick through, I'll make the rest available as FCFS (half the available units, 12 hrs apart) when the PCBs come in. If you filled out the extras form, you'll get an email with the launch time and date

switchplate.co

Offline Windeh

• a no name
« Reply #230 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 07:39:03 »
How are you going to prioritize the B-Stock quality levels to those in the original GB wanting one? By original order number or reply sequence to the email?

By the way thanks for making good of a bad situation and appreciate the communication.  :thumb:

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #231 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 12:57:12 »
How are you going to prioritize the B-Stock quality levels to those in the original GB wanting one? By original order number or reply sequence to the email?

By the way thanks for making good of a bad situation and appreciate the communication.  :thumb:

I will be going by reply sequence to email for original participants wanting one from the current run.

switchplate.co

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #232 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 16:53:41 »
Got my 1.75u command key today.  Hope I can put it to good use  :thumb:

Offline dondongler

• Gotta Light?
« Reply #233 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 17:07:54 »

My order got mixed up and he sold out hah

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #234 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 18:20:53 »

My order got mixed up and he sold out hah

If I can’t snag a bstock case I’ll sell you mine on the cheap

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #235 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 11:09:27 »
When do you think B-Stock cases might be available?

Offline tullyvivi

« Reply #236 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 12:22:09 »
I personally don't prefer design with big curves, but this color looks so good !

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #237 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 15:31:51 »
I got to see a Lunar prototype this past weekend at the SoCal meetup

I gotta say, really regretting not getting the dark gray anode. The way the dark gray contrasts with the light gray caps is real nice.

Also I asked earlier about the weight of the board, it's actually fairly light considering that it's all aluminum.

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #238 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 06:13:09 »
Im so ready to snag a B-stock case.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #239 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 03:01:00 »
Alright, I'm a little behind things because of school and work, but now that finals week is 100% out of the way, I am able to get through most of the cases relatively quickly.

At the moment, I have around 20 cases left to QC and assemble (I will be shipping these with screws). Right now, I have 6 cases that would qualify as A or A- grade. Priority for those goes to those who emailed me first with a 100% firm decision stating that they wanted one in 7075. If you are one of these people, I'll be emailing you pictures of the unit that you will recieve. If you asked for pictures in order to make a decision, I will make those available as soon as I complete all 55 cases. From there, they will be FCFS to those in the original GB who emailed me asking for pictures.

For those not in the original GB, I will make the remaining units available shortly after I've shipped out cases for those in the GB and have confirmed that everyone else is on the remanufacturing list.

If you have any questions, throw them in the thread below or shoot me an email.

switchplate.co

Offline Windeh

• a no name
« Reply #240 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 03:13:21 »
Ooof waiting for your email. Wondering what color I'd get...  ;D

Offline airlangga07

« Reply #241 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 10:08:37 »
how can I join the list for the B stock availability? I would like to get one...

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #242 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 00:28:03 »
how can I join the list for the B stock availability? I would like to get one...
If you're not in the GB, fill out the extras form. There's an option at the bottom which asks if you want an email once they're available.

If you're in the GB, then email me with your order number saying that you want to pick from the available cases.

switchplate.co

Offline poodude

« Reply #243 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 20:08:54 »
Added to extras form. I also think a TKL version on the AEK would be amazing if that would ever possibly happen. :)

Offline airlangga07

« Reply #244 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 20:26:43 »
If you're not in the GB, fill out the extras form. There's an option at the bottom which asks if you want an email once they're available.

If you're in the GB, then email me with your order number saying that you want to pick from the available cases.

Form filled! and I am currently under GB spot switching that is pending.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #245 on: Fri, 28 December 2018, 07:55:22 »
any news on this?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #246 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 05:21:25 »
any news on this?

If you've emailed me about a unit on the first run, the email has been sent. If you haven't received an email, ping me here or through email and I will BCC you to the email.

As far as the second production units, it's been quoted and discussed with the second manufacturer. I'll be proceeding with those soon. The new material will be Aluminum 6063. Unlike the old manufacturer, they will be replacing units that do not meet my quality standards.

switchplate.co

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #247 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 08:03:16 »
Not sure about bstock process still.  I filled out the form.  Just wait to see?

Offline Regret

• I regret nothing
« Reply #248 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 15:39:48 »
Is there an estimate on the timeline for the remanufactured set? Last I saw was Q1/Q2.
No.2 Rev.1 | Gat Black Inks | OG Dyesubs \\ No.1/65 Silver & Brass | Retooled Cherry Blacks | GMK Coniferous \\ Ai03 Lunar | SKCM Blues | AEK \\ Aeryx Aegis 1800 | C3 Tangerines | GMK WoB

Offline Olitender

« Reply #249 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 15:42:36 »
cant wait
Going into heat.