Author Topic: [GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO (In production)  (Read 766492 times)

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
Re: [GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO (In production)
« Reply #1650 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 18:49:44 »
Short update from the packing facility. Here's a pic of the reworked Grey tops:

Do they look a little more grey in person? The grey and the black next to each other look very very similar

Offline si

« Reply #1651 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 20:05:15 »

Do they look a little more grey in person? The grey and the black next to each other look very very similar

This was probably done because you achieve more consistent results the darker the anodizing. Going back to light gray would have given the same splotchy results in this grade of aluminum. I'd rather have clean anodizing even if it's not quite medium gray than splotchy medium gray.

« Reply #1652 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 20:22:22 »
This was probably done because you achieve more consistent results the darker the anodizing. Going back to light gray would have given the same splotchy results in this grade of aluminum. I'd rather have clean anodizing even if it's not quite medium gray than splotchy medium gray.

That makes sense. My concern is that I got one of each, and I'm not sure I want both if the visual difference is negligible. I initially couldn't decide between one or the other, but it would have been an easy decision if they were nearly identical
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 December 2017, 20:56:54 by dead_pixel_design »

Offline gutsack

« Reply #1653 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 20:45:33 »

Thanks for the update, though I find it a bit ridiculous that codywanks, who is not officially part of the crew who is running this GB, is the only person giving us real, relevant information. I appreciate the updates, but don't appreciate the lack of transparency and info directly from the GB runners themselves. Oh well.

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #1654 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 21:43:45 »

Thanks for the update, though I find it a bit ridiculous that codywanks, who is not officially part of the crew who is running this GB, is the only person giving us real, relevant information. I appreciate the updates, but don't appreciate the lack of transparency and info directly from the GB runners themselves. Oh well.

To that end, neither Juahenza nor Yuktsi elected to respond to my PM, although Yuktsi posted in the thread.

Also, I finished reworking the RGB LEDs on my PCB. Had to replace two, the rest are OK. It's kind of sad - I've bought ****-tier stuff on TaoBao that while it doesn't always come perfect, it comes with a baggie of spare parts. As a matter of fact, I used the RGB LEDs from my VE.A clone kit to repair EXENT.

Offline vwls

« Reply #1655 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 22:31:52 »
Was so excited to unbox my EXENT tonight!

For what it's worth, I also have cracks in the PC around my screw holes. I also was a little disturbed by that the PCB was floating around in the case throughout shipping. I haven't tested it yet though so there may not be issues there.

Which brings me to my next point. Is there a bootclient for linux or mac? I admit I haven't read every post in this thread so it may have been mentioned already, how can I control my LED's and flash keymappings with a mac or linux machine?

Thanks in advance for any help

Offline codywanks

« Reply #1656 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 01:25:55 »
The gray top look awesome now!

Gray tops are looking pretty good.  Thanks for sharing.

Woo! Grey tops looks fantastic.

:thumb:

It might just be the photo or the camera (or me) but some of those tops still look a little splotchy when you zoom in :/

I zoomed in and looked over every square inch of the picture. Can't see what you mean. Had a quick look at a couple of them IRL, still can't see it either.

This is correct. I also think Jua and Yuktsi did an amazing job getting the reworked tops back as quickly as they did. When we returned them to the anodizer, I admit I had thought "f**k we're not going to see these back until late January".

Which brings me to my next point. Is there a bootclient for linux or mac?

Look here or here. Not sure how well they work though.

Offline codywanks

« Reply #1657 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 01:28:20 »
Last update for the week:

Disassembly of previously packed kits are kits are now complete.

We have started packing Grey basic kits with alu plate and 8deg feet, as well as Black basic kits with brass plate and 8deg feet (gnarlsagan I think one of yours falls here). These will start shipping next week.

The stainless steel feet is now separate from the rest of the kit & individually wrapped. The PCBs have also been inspected for proper RGB functionality. This is what the new package layout looks like:

To the people worried that the PCBs are "floating" inside the case, yes, it might seem loose but we've done enough testing to be confident that they're unlikely to get damaged from being shipped in this manner.

I have also taken a bunch of PCBs home to reflow over the weekend. Will probably do them while watching Netflix or something.

I'm heartened to hear that TerryMatthews has successfully reflowed his board. We are thinking of making a Google form to poll others who would like to do the same (the SMD RGB LEDs will of course be supplied by us). Opting to do this would expedite your order and reduce the load on our team.

Finally, I would like to address the people who were expecting to receive their orders by Christmas, but seem to have given up hope.

When I volunteered to help out with the project, we set a goal to ship all poly bottom orders (both basic & premium) by mid-December so you could get them for Christmas. This target would probably have been met, had the issues with the PCBs and cracked poly not surfaced. Unfortunately sh*t happens, and we're doing our best to deal with it. To those who understand & forgive us for this, thanks a lot. Your words of encouragement in this thread does have a positive effect on our working environment. As for those who are still bitter, I do hope you come around sooner or later. I still believe the end product will justify the long wait.

Have a good weekend.

Offline Marvellion

« Reply #1658 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 02:12:55 »
Snip

Awesome update, thanks. Seperate feets should make sure there aren't any problems with cracking anymore. It seems there are a lot of PCBs that need reflowing, did PCB factory mess thing up? Also any update on Alu bottoms which went to anodizing?

Offline alexfry

« Reply #1659 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 02:38:56 »
Awesome, thanks cody

These are the sort of updates that make everyone much more comfortable.

Practical and relatable.

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
« Reply #1660 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 05:06:25 »
Thanks for the update!

Do you have any information on the alu bottom ? :)

Offline codywanks

« Reply #1661 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 05:20:07 »
It seems there are a lot of PCBs that need reflowing, did PCB factory mess thing up?

Yes

Also any update on Alu bottoms which went to anodizing?

These updates remain the most current.

1  2

The anodizer was told to prioritize the Grey tops. I doubt he had enough time left over to make progress with the bottoms.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 December 2017, 05:24:08 by codywanks »

Offline foxlive

« Reply #1662 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 05:27:13 »
It seems there are a lot of PCBs that need reflowing, did PCB factory mess thing up?

Yes

Also any update on Alu bottoms which went to anodizing?

These updates remain the most current.

1  2

The anodizer was told to prioritize the Grey tops. I doubt he had enough time left over to make progress with the bottoms.

That what I thought! Thanks for the update:)

Offline vwls

« Reply #1663 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 07:43:28 »
Thanks for the updates, I will share pics when I've got switches soldered and caps on!

I should also say that, poly cracks aside, the materials is my EXENT look awesome. The top (black) is a beautiful piece of design and the thing weighs a ton (which I love! :thumb: )

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #1664 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 08:15:05 »
Would you say Black case with brass plate and 8 degree bottom is shipping in January?
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #1665 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 11:04:59 »
Hey guys,

Show Image

And here's another pic contrasting a Black top:

Show Image

Here's some pics of the brass plates as well:

Show Image

Show Image

Will post pics of the 12deg feet and GMK set once I figure out which boxes they're in.

________

While I appreciate your mea culpa, I'd much rather have:
1) An acknowledgment that defective parts will be replaced
2) Compensation for unshipped parts
3) A timetable on when issues will be fixed - that is realistic in length and can be achieved

We are fiercely intent on ensuring that nobody receives defective parts (cracked poly/faulty PCBs) anymore. This means unpacking and disassembling whatever we put together in the month of November that did not get shipped yet. Whatever PCBs that need fixing will be fixed, and the feet will no longer be shipped attached to the bottoms. This is priority number one for now.

Due to the sheer load of this task (and its abortive nature), I'm not surprised that nobody gave a clear-cut response regarding defective parts yet, but the intention is to indeed have them replaced. It is still too early to give a timetable or estimate on when this will happen simply because we don't know how widespread the problem is, but an update will be given once things become clearer on our end.

...except maybe that I consider replacing the broken/defective parts as important as shipping out the rest of the boards.

To re-emphasize, the priority for now is to stop more defective kits from going out. We will talk replacements/new shipments later.

And it seems like we get these very short, jaded versions of responses.

Well...............

This is the kind of update that I wish we got more often. Thanks for taking the time to show some photos.

With the Christmas period coming up, I hope you can navigate the minefield that is holiday logistics (when I was still a student, I worked part time in retail, and holiday stock replenishments ain't easy or pretty to manage/sort/store. ****'s crazy as you get towards year's end)
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1666 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 11:25:40 »
Codywanks (or Yuktsi or Juahenza or anyone who is listening)

I'm not sure what your plans are for those of us who received bum PCBs, but I wanted to talk negotiable options. In either case, I need my polycarb replaced.

- Option A: Refund me the price of the PCB, and approximately 15$ on top to cover the cost of replacement LEDs. They'll get here faster if I order them locally, and doesn't burden you guys with shipping them out. I will then repair my PCB myself (or try to I guess), and you ship my replacement polycarbonate out within the next week or two.

- Option B: Send me a new PCB and an aluminum switchplate, which I will pay 50% of the cost of (15$). Ship these two items out along with my replacement polycarbonate bottom, in, I dunno, something like the next month.

Let's discuss these two options. Happy to talk in private if that's what you'd prefer.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 December 2017, 13:26:07 by PancakeMSTR »

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #1667 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 11:57:25 »

I'm not sure what your plans are for those of us who received bum PCBs, but I wanted to talk negotiable options. In either case, I need my polycarb replaced.

- Option A: Refund me the price of the PCB, and approximately 15$ on top to cover the cost of replacement LEDs. They'll get here faster if I order them locally, and doesn't burden you guys with shipping them out. I will then repair my PCB myself (or try to I guess), and you ship my replacement polycarbonate out within the next week or two.

- Option B: Send me a new PCB and an aluminum switchplate, which I will pay 50% of the cost of (15$). Ship these two items out along with my replacement polycarbonate bottom, in, I dunno, something like the next month.

Let's discuss these two options. Happy to take discuss in private if that's what you'd prefer.

Hey, I think that TARO et al needs to do more than they're currently doing to make things right - and my posts bear that out - but asking for a full refund on a PCB that needs a little rework is excessive.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1668 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 13:13:07 »

Let's discuss these two options. Happy to take discuss in private if that's what you'd prefer.

Hey, I think that TARO et al needs to do more than they're currently doing to make things right - and my posts bear that out - but asking for a full refund on a PCB that needs a little rework is excessive.

Why? What's their plan anyway, exactly, did they not already acquiesce to shipping out fully functional PCBs to any of us who request it? They are shipping out fully functional PCBs to everyone else, why don't we get the same choice? Financially, then, the burden is the same: send a PCB out for free or refund it. I didn't pay for a PCB I need to fix, however minimal the damage (and in my case, it's not so minimal).

For that matter, refunding the PCB is the better option for them, as they then don't have to shoulder the logistical and fiscal burden of repairing and shipping it.

I'm glad we're seeing some communication, I'm glad we're seeing some acknowledgement of problems and some commitment to fixing them, but it doesn't stop me from being pretty annoyed that I paid a not insignificant sum of money to receive something other than exactly what I was promised at the very beginning of this group buy.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 December 2017, 13:20:28 by PancakeMSTR »

« Reply #1669 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 18:30:23 »
Hey dev/ship/staff/assistants, would it be possible to get a few more shots of the black and grey side by side? I'm worried about how dark the grey appears to have turned out.

Offline Data

« Reply #1670 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 19:16:15 »
Couple of good updates recently.  Keep it up.  Communication does wonders.

Offline Gettys

« Reply #1671 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 20:25:51 »
With the brass plates coming in, is there any word on when grey with brass plate will ship?

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #1672 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 02:12:09 »
Hey dev/ship/staff/assistants, would it be possible to get a few more shots of the black and grey side by side? I'm worried about how dark the grey appears to have turned out.

So what if they didn't turn out as you'd expected? Would you sell your spot?

Offline JAB

« Reply #1673 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 03:09:12 »
I would be interested in giving up my spot. I don't know if this is the correct place to do this, but pm me for order details if you are interested.

Offline Saifalhaj

« Reply #1674 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 15:44:54 »
I still have not recieved a tracking number or anything in regards to the worldwide shipping

« Reply #1675 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 15:47:04 »
I still have not recieved a tracking number or anything in regards to the worldwide shipping
What kit did you get, I believe they have only started shipping the basic kits with 8° feet.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline Saifalhaj

« Reply #1676 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 15:54:32 »
What kit did you get, I believe they have only started shipping the basic kits with 8° feet.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I ordered the premuim kit, any ETA on that?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #1677 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 16:06:07 »

Last update regarding premium kits was they'd start shipping this week so I'm assuming that's still the case considering nothing else was said.

Offline Traveler

« Reply #1678 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 16:12:48 »

Same here. I think they were going to start shipping them this week but I think they've halted all shipments until they repack the polycarbonate pieces and fix the PCBs. So it's going to be a while...

Offline merutz

• @merutz
« Reply #1679 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 05:55:53 »
What is this?

184101-0

Did you guys recall the package?

QFR R-i/DSA Dolch   |   MX Master
     + yellow Esc

Offline ctzn_voyager

« Reply #1680 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 06:16:39 »
If anyone wants to trader their grey or silver for black shoot me a PM.

Offline speedemonv12

« Reply #1681 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 06:33:49 »
Guys, just got this board. It's amazing. The weight, the finish. Just beautiful.

Ive got a very small crack in the polycarbonate, but I'll survive.

I also have a pcb with only one led working. I'll try and fix it this weekend.

But, I'm extremely excited to get this thing together! It's An amazing board!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Koojahyung

• 안녕하세요.
« Reply #1682 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 08:47:02 »
when will it be shipped..alu bottom..
please....I want to get it in 2017..

Offline foxlive

« Reply #1683 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 09:09:07 »
when will it be shipped..alu bottom..
please....I want to get it in 2017..

For what we got of previous update, it is very very very unlikely that you got it in 2017 ^^’

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #1684 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 15:06:17 »
Does anyone here know who can I ask about my Exent shipment? It's been stuck for 12 days in Malaysia and "in route to spain". I tried contacting to the gmail in the paypal invoice, but noone responds. Any ideas?

Offline eddible

« Reply #1685 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 16:25:02 »
Does anyone here know who can I ask about my Exent shipment? It's been stuck for 12 days in Malaysia and "in route to spain". I tried contacting to the gmail in the paypal invoice, but noone responds. Any ideas?
You’d have to speak to the courier, the GB runners can’t really do much once it’s handed to the courier. Also, tracking isn’t always reliable, it’s likely just stuck in customs. 12 days isn’t that bad for an international shipment of this weight and size, sadly I think you’ll just need to be patient, it’ll arrive eventually I’m sure! :) - that said, feel free to PM me your tracking number if you want someone to cast a second pair of eyes over it.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #1686 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 16:31:24 »

I think it likely is moving, but tracking has not updated. I have received many international packages and after leaving the country of origin, it never updated again and just showed up at my house. Not sure how Spain mail works, but I imagine it could be similar.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #1687 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 17:22:48 »
You’d have to speak to the courier, the GB runners can’t really do much once it’s handed to the courier. Also, tracking isn’t always reliable, it’s likely just stuck in customs. 12 days isn’t that bad for an international shipment of this weight and size, sadly I think you’ll just need to be patient, it’ll arrive eventually I’m sure! :) - that said, feel free to PM me your tracking number if you want someone to cast a second pair of eyes over it.

My hope is that they can ask to the courier, since it being in Malaysia makes things a bit difficult for me to reach them and ask. Also, thanks for the offer, but as you can see in the link below, there's not much to look at hahah

https://imgur.com/a/h4uzv

I think it likely is moving, but tracking has not updated. I have received many international packages and after leaving the country of origin, it never updated again and just showed up at my house. Not sure how Spain mail works, but I imagine it could be similar.

I know that it can take quite some time to pass customs and as you say, they usually won't give any info about it when it's passed to the destination country, but in those cases you should be able to reach to your postal office and ask them with the same tracking number. If it's in their hands, they will give you tracking info, even if it's only that they have it or it's in route. This time though, it's been 2 weeks since last update, and Correos (Spain's postal service) doesn't know anything about it.

Of course I'm sure it will arrive, but at this point I'm starting to get worried because it may be stuck somewhere and I can't do anything about it. Anyway, I PMd yuktsi, juahenza and cody to ask them for some help.

Thanks for the fast response and help guys!

Offline catweewee

• SINGA | singakbd.com
  • * Vendor
  • Yellows
« Reply #1688 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 03:10:35 »

My hope is that they can ask to the courier, since it being in Malaysia makes things a bit difficult for me to reach them and ask. Also, thanks for the offer, but as you can see in the link below, there's not much to look at hahah

I know that it can take quite some time to pass customs and as you say, they usually won't give any info about it when it's passed to the destination country, but in those cases you should be able to reach to your postal office and ask them with the same tracking number. If it's in their hands, they will give you tracking info, even if it's only that they have it or it's in route. This time though, it's been 2 weeks since last update, and Correos (Spain's postal service) doesn't know anything about it.

Of course I'm sure it will arrive, but at this point I'm starting to get worried because it may be stuck somewhere and I can't do anything about it. Anyway, I PMd yuktsi, juahenza and cody to ask them for some help.

From my knowledge, most probably has left the origin country (malaysia) and is currently going through spain customs.

Please take notice that it is also December, which can take a toll on shipping times due to the influx of holiday shipments.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #1689 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 04:27:21 »

From my knowledge, most probably has left the origin country (malaysia) and is currently going through spain customs.

Please take notice that it is also December, which can take a toll on shipping times due to the influx of holiday shipments.

That's what I think as well, but it's strange because my postal service should know something if it's been handed to Spain's customs. In those cases, the shipping company should be able to say if they handed it to customs or not yet, and that's why I wanted to ask them.

It seems I'll be waiting for a while.. Oh well, I hope it's not cracked at least

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1690 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 12:03:58 »
Juahenza, Yuktsi, et al:

Could we get an updated estimate on when replacement polycarbonate bottoms will be shipped? Depending on your specific  plan (which I'm not clear on) for replacing parts for those of us who received defective components, I don't see any reason why replacement bottoms shouldn't be ready to ship out by the end of this week or so.  And have you had a chance to go over my offers (a few comments up)?
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 December 2017, 12:06:05 by PancakeMSTR »

Offline Tally810

« Reply #1691 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 12:13:34 »
Juahenza, Yuktsi, et al:

Could we get an updated estimate on when replacement polycarbonate bottoms will be shipped? Depending on your specific  plan (which I'm not clear on) for replacing parts for those of us who received defective components, I don't see any reason why replacement bottoms shouldn't be ready to ship out by the end of this week or so.  And have you had a chance to go over my offers (a few comments up)?
Why isn't one of your options to just get a new replacement pcb

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1692 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 12:19:29 »
Juahenza, Yuktsi, et al:

One of my options is, at least in part, exactly that?

Offline Tally810

« Reply #1693 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 12:20:59 »
Juahenza, Yuktsi, et al:

With a half price switch plate?

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1694 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 13:30:55 »
Juahenza, Yuktsi, et al:

Yes? That's indeed what I wrote.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #1695 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 13:37:58 »
Juahenza, Yuktsi, et al:

Why do you need another plate

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #1696 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 13:47:53 »
Juahenza, Yuktsi, et al:

Or, more to the point: why do you think you're PCB issues entitle you to a discounted switch plate?

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1697 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 14:00:50 »
Juahenza, Yuktsi, et al:

Or, more to the point: why do you think you're PCB issues entitle you to a discounted switch plate?

Reparations; my experience has been bad. Frankly I'm surprised you're so accepting of the situation. But I reiterate, the terms offered in my comment are fully negotiable. The only thing I'm 100% inflexible on is getting a replacement polycarbonate bottom.

I'm fine with discussing my offers communally, but it would be nice to actually hear back from the GB leadership some day.

At any rate, I'm more inclined at this point to go for a simple refund, since I finally managed to fix the PCB,  and have only the polycarbonate replaced. That's the simpler and I think most mutually beneficial option.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 December 2017, 14:04:20 by PancakeMSTR »

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1698 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 14:06:35 »
Who do you think you bought a keyboard from? Amazon? Expecting anything more than a replacement for damaged parts is ridiculous.

Offline demorior

« Reply #1699 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 14:08:18 »
on that note i would also like a new pcb as i have not managed to get the LEDs on mine to be functional. more than willing to ship this one back.