Author Topic: [IC] GMK Red & Blue Samurai - Launching June 2020  (Read 70248 times)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Re: [IC] GMK Red & Blue Samurai
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 08:04:15 »
5) Nishi sets are missing the R3 1.0 \|む keys (it IS correctly present on all other rows, though).
6) Same goes for the pure Hiragana sets: the R3 1.0 keys are missing.

you're not incorrect, but this wouldn't even fit a JIS board in the first place and weebs will buy it cause it's weeb ****

i don't think GMK has the right weeb mold so a few bucks can be saved by not bothering

How about we DO bother and get the kit right? Later "weeb ****" can benefit from the new mold GMK would make to get things right in this set.

JIS is a 3u spacebar ISO enter layout that is not supported by any existing custom PCBs that i am aware of, so it's 100% not worth it to appeal to that layout

I'm talking about the alphas, not the bottom row.

FYI, other recent sets are using those legends as well, so the molds will likely be accounted for by the time this set gets quoted / goes into production.

There's a few things in the current hiragana sublegends that could be improved upon:
  • The R1 \|む key should be changed to \| (for better compatibility with Japanese layouts, without affecting regular ANSI/ISO layouts; the mold for this key will exist because other sets use it).
  • The R4 \|む key should be changed to \| (same reason as above; mold exists).
  • A R3 key with a む sublegend should be added, as pointed out earlier. This should either be #~ (mold will exist); or it can be \|, but in this case ISO users get a duplicate \| key (this is also the case in the Latin base kit). This key is also required in order to have ISO support in the Nishi kit in the first place.
  • The missing (han)dakuten sublegends ゛ and ゜ should be added to the bracket keys: [{, [{.
In short, see how GMK Deku or GMK Sumi did their hiragana sublegends. Keys circled in red are what can be updated here.

Similar changes should be made to the Pure Hiragana kit. See how GMK Oni or GMK Sumi did their hiragana-only legends. Keys circled in red are what can be updated here, and orange denotes optional additions.

Once again, none of these changes negatively affect existing support for ANSI/ISO layouts, they just improve upon it.

Note how I deliberately avoid saying JIS, because people who type with kana input usually don't use a full JIS layout on mechanical keyboards because of the odd bottom row. They just use all of the kana alphas, and these changes are intended to better support them.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2020, 12:31:13 by konstantin »

Offline HailNibbler

Re: [IC] GMK Red & Blue Samurai - Launching June 2020
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 09:04:46 »
Also wrote this on the drop IC, but putting it here just in case -
Would love to see Blue Samurai with silver accents and legends!
Either way looking great, in for the blue (already have the red  ;D)

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 10:11:35 »
5) Nishi sets are missing the R3 1.0 \|む keys (it IS correctly present on all other rows, though).
6) Same goes for the pure Hiragana sets: the R3 1.0 keys are missing.

you're not incorrect, but this wouldn't even fit a JIS board in the first place and weebs will buy it cause it's weeb ****

i don't think GMK has the right weeb mold so a few bucks can be saved by not bothering

How about we DO bother and get the kit right? Later "weeb ****" can benefit from the new mold GMK would make to get things right in this set.

JIS is a 3u spacebar ISO enter layout that is not supported by any existing custom PCBs that i am aware of, so it's 100% not worth it to appeal to that layout

I'm talking about the alphas, not the bottom row.

FYI, other recent sets are using those legends as well, so the molds will likely be accounted for by the time this set gets quoted / goes into production.

There's a few things in the current hiragana sublegends that can be improved upon:
  • The R1 \|む key should be changed to \| (for better compatibility with Japanese layouts, without affecting regular ANSI/ISO layouts; the mold for this key will exist because other sets use it).
  • The R4 \|む key should be changed to \| (same reason as above; mold exists).
  • A R3 key with a む sublegend should be added, as pointed out earlier. This should either be #~ (mold will exist); or it can be \|, but in this case ISO users get a duplicate \| key (this is also the case in the Latin base kit). This key is also required in order to have ISO support in the Nishi kit in the first place.
  • The missing (han)dakuten sublegends ゛ and ゜ should be added to the bracket keys: [{, [{.

This could be further improved by ensuring the R3 key will be \| (not #~), while making the R4 key be <>. This would ensure consistent terminal style in all cases.

I think the latter key's mold doesn't exist... but it can be created, AND getting the US English/Nishi legends 100% right can be a feature to market as an advantage of the Red/Blue Samurai sets.

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 21:41:19 »
I'll echo what many commenters have already said:

+1 for Hiragana subs in the base kit. With subs in the base kit I would strongly consider picking up both red and blue.
+1 for V2 Hiragana sublegends.
+1 for fixing some of the sublegended keys, especially the square bracket/brace keys.

I hope at least some of these changes can be incorporated. Very happy to see this set making a proper return, I'm sure it will sell well. GLWIC/GB.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 23:41:17 »
Spacebars other than 6.25u and 7u in the spacebar kits should be alpha-colored, imo.

I completely agree.  As it stands, only alpha-color 6C and 1.75C are missing.

Offline georgethehuman

• blorgy
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 05:33:45 »
sad to see 40s support removed from the base kit (r1 had awesome support!) hopefully it returns to the base kit or at as least an extras kit!

Offline reaLFX

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 12:03:52 »
Interested in the red!

Offline khraxion

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 20:53:04 »
I've been waiting a long time for this set without the hiragana subs and I might be picking up both.

Offline ymaaan

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 22:16:04 »
Since this is an R2, would the pricing be the same as with the first round? Or were there some changes made?

Offline JXNRVG

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 05:21:30 »
plans on making a deskmat?

Offline Zoomtech

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 15:14:45 »
I want to buy both but it says only red samurai is available for pre order rn

Offline kolyz

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 19:11:56 »
I want to buy both but it says only red samurai is available for pre order rn

You're probably looking at this one, which is the set from Round 1. Don't get this one if you are interested in the Round 2 group-buy, that one will be available in June.

Offline Owl-

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 20:17:15 »
What happened to the 2u space bar in base kit? :( Needs to come back

Offline bobfrink

« Reply #113 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 15:28:03 »
please make hiragana subs an option in base kit

Offline parityb1t

• 60% or less \m/
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 16:28:38 »
Also in the 'add 40s support' camp  :p tbh, I don't use 1.75 enter and the base kit is sufficient for me, but I do think having 1.75u enter will be beneficial to 40s out there
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 May 2020, 16:41:08 by parityb1t »
Alps64 w/ Orange Alps | SatanGH60 Gartistotles

Offline andrewregal

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 13:44:29 »
Aww man, I bought a TKL kit from Drop in December thinking this wouldn't happen anytime soon. Still tempted to get another red just so I can have the full base kit. But definitely gonna get blue
Discord: andrewregal#7830

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 13:49:48 »
It would be nice if this actually was a diagolue with the creator. Mr. RedSuns.
Looking thru the IC on drop there is one (1) answer. https://drop.com/talk/39299/ic-gmk-red-blue-samurai?discussion=true

Come on, man!

Offline lamp

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 13:56:02 »
need this in my collection

Offline ivu

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 15:10:13 »
I just saw some changes were made to the novelties which i'm not really looking forward to, tbh  :'(

- Please keep the yellow sword enter novelty instead of the yellow base red romb one.
- Get the 1u R2 and R3 novelties back like rev.1 as 65% boards are quite popular and those are really good to have to make the right most column fulfilled with novelties.

At least make a poll or something in order to check feedback that way  :thumb:

Offline bobfrink

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 18:54:28 »
are these still ABS or PBT?
USB

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 19:44:51 »
are these still ABS or PBT?

abs

GMK is always abs
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 19:56:29 »
It would be nice if this actually was a diagolue with the creator. Mr. RedSuns.
Looking thru the IC on drop there is one (1) answer. https://drop.com/talk/39299/ic-gmk-red-blue-samurai?discussion=true

Come on, man!

Yea, this is increasingly looking like a post to sell early interest and not to solicit feedback of community wants.

The novelty changes aren’t good IMO. And the addition of text novelties, while neat, is baffling to me. This kit doesn’t need two sets of novelties that will be very expensive and polarizing. Increasingly it’s looking like I’m going to pass this up. GL everyone.  :cool:

Offline ChaoticEnigma

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 22:22:02 »
Why are some of the original novelties taken out? I really wanted those.

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 22:27:08 »
I'm sad that the Nishi are a separate kit...  :(

Offline LordOwen

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 07:58:16 »
I'm sad that the Nishi are a separate kit...  :(

Same, I'd really like to see hiragana on the base kit.

Offline hyppialonso

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 08:25:04 »
The novelties changes are quite disappointing imo too, those in r1 are more iconic especially the katana yellow enter and samurai helmet.

And yes, I agree with someone above, we do hope this thread is really gathering opinion, discussing and getting feedback from the society. No interaction nor society's concerns have been addressed as I can see.

Just hope that all the changes are for the sake of making people love this set more instead of creating more ''new molds'' and making it more expensive.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2020, 08:31:53 by hyppialonso »

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 09:06:00 »
Where'd the helmet go?
Dislike the Novelty changes...

Offline StateSheriff

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 09:27:39 »
I agree, unsure of the thinking behind those changes.

Offline dallman5

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 09:50:44 »
Is one of the Oni-Tengu-Ghost rows in the text novelties supposed to be R4? There are two that are labelled as R3 currently which feels weird since there are no R4 1u novelties.
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline KIN[G]DA

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 12:08:11 »
Why are some of the original novelties taken out? I really wanted those.

I hope so.

Offline kaiba

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 13:52:18 »
I just saw some changes were made to the novelties which i'm not really looking forward to, tbh  :'(

- Please keep the yellow sword enter novelty instead of the yellow base red romb one.
- Get the 1u R2 and R3 novelties back like rev.1 as 65% boards are quite popular and those are really good to have to make the right most column fulfilled with novelties.

At least make a poll or something in order to check feedback that way  :thumb:
Agree. I also want 1u r2 and r3 novelties back for a 65%. To echo what some other people said I also really liked the samurai helmet and want that back. I mean this is a samurai set, it was the most samurai looking icon of the originally pictured novelties. I don't really understand why that was taken out and now we have a 1u skull novelty instead.

Offline toumatakeshi

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 17:07:58 »
+1 for Hiragana subs in the base kit
+1 for V2 Hiragana sublegends
+1 for fixing some of the sublegended keys

Looking forward to the GB! ;D

Offline ymaaan

« Reply #132 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 19:58:31 »
Agreed with the other people here with regards to the novelty changes. I much prefer the first round's novelties (especially the samurai helmet and the gold-colored katana key).

Sent from my SM-A505GN using Tapatalk

Offline Zoomtech

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 20:00:19 »
Can’t wait for these

Offline RedSuns

« Reply #134 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 22:13:52 »
To answer some questions:

- Hiragana sublegends will stay as is for now.
- I had to choose a route, two base kits or just one with hiragana addons. One route could be more expensive for another.
- Latin alphas will remain in base kits because it seems to be more popular and because there are Drop kits available.
- Not adding more keys for unique layouts.
- Ortholinear support is not a goal based on interest.
- If I skipped question, it can probably be answered by checking the latest kits.

- I will update 'Menu' 1.25u to 'Fn' 1.25u in base kits.
- Novelties changes soon.

Offline ChaoticEnigma

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 22:27:05 »
Would it be possible to have the modifiers as a set? So We don't have to buy multiple kits?

Offline digid3ar

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 22:51:56 »
maybe you could add r2 1.75 to noveltys with that we could use alternative alphas with novelties and spacebar

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 23:02:47 »
To answer some questions:

- Hiragana sublegends will stay as is for now.
- I had to choose a route, two base kits or just one with hiragana addons. One route could be more expensive for another.
- Latin alphas will remain in base kits because it seems to be more popular and because there are Drop kits available.
- Not adding more keys for unique layouts.
- Ortholinear support is not a goal based on interest.
- If I skipped question, it can probably be answered by checking the latest kits.

- I will update 'Menu' 1.25u to 'Fn' 1.25u in base kits.

New novelties? wow

Offline SpaceCowboy

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 23:24:02 »
Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but are there any color code #s, especially for the blue set? I'm toying around with combining it with some other sets, like Nautilus or Penumbra and want to see if the colors would just be way off

Offline tunb

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 04:41:41 »
Please add double zero 1u (00) for numpad and spacebar 3u for Filco Minila keyboard. Thanks.

Offline Acoipat

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 09:49:49 »

Hopefully this means novelties are being worked on... not sure what's up with the 1.5u R2 novelty, I guess for Tab? And hopefully the diamond/checkered ones are placeholders for some new designs  :-X

Otherwise super excited to see this set coming back in a new color

Offline StateSheriff

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 09:52:55 »
And hopefully the diamond/checkered ones are placeholders for some new designs  :-X

Big agree! These are the ones I'm most baffled about. If the novelty changes are a step in the right direction I'm gonna be all in for the reds  :D

Offline RedSuns

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 00:29:56 »
Updates:

Base Kits - Changed 'Menu' 1.25u to 'Fn' 1.25u.
Novelties - Major changes to kits. Classic novelties return to Red Samurai Novelties.
Novelties Text - Fixed duplicate R3 to R4.

Hope you guys like the new update!

Offline parityb1t

• 60% or less \m/
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 07:57:54 »
Updates:

Novelties - Major changes to kits. Classic novelties return to Red Samurai Novelties.

respect :thumb: thanks for listening to the community
Alps64 w/ Orange Alps | SatanGH60 Gartistotles

Offline StateSheriff

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 09:34:36 »
Excited to order this set again after the novelty changes. Nice work!

Offline idolindisguise

« Reply #145 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 09:53:23 »
When is the GB for this

Offline ivu

« Reply #146 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 09:55:40 »
Thumbs up for the fast response on the public feedback especially on the novelties!
Think about a matching deskmat at some point, btw :)

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Offline ChaoticEnigma

« Reply #147 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 11:15:57 »
Just for clarification. There won't be a full kit with the nishi alphanumerics?

Offline ymaaan

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 11:26:19 »
Updates:

Nice! Thanks for listening.

Sent from my SM-A505GN using Tapatalk

Offline solomonshv

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 17:09:55 »
i'm assuming this is still in the design phase, since the red novelty kit has more keys than the blue one. only thing i'd like to see is the number of novelty kits cut down to 2, max.

either:
1 blue novelty kit with picture and text novelties + 1 red novelty kit with picture and text novelties
OR
1 picture only novelty kit that has both red and blue keys + 1 text novelty kit with red and blue keys (if any)

i understand your desire to have English only keys in the base set since drop GBs are meant to appeal to a more mainstream audience (who are more likely to put this kit on a corsair keyboard than a GOK or similar), and i can live with that as long as the nishi and hiragana sets are not too expensive. in the R1 GB, the ortho kit was $85, and 42 of those 82 keys were alpha keys. based on that, if the new 50 key alpha kits can be made available for around $50, i think it will be fair.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 June 2020, 20:15:09 by solomonshv »
Keebs::: Bok.CP - Antique Copper | Keycult No.2/65 Black/Brass | Keycult No.2 Rev 1 Grey/Brass | Jane V2 CE - Black/Multicolor | J-01 Rev1 - Blue | Haus - Silver | Kohaku - Red | OwLab Jelly Epoch - Ruby SE & Popcorn | KBD8X MKII WKL - Black PC | Ayleen WKL - Gin
Caps::: GMK Modo, GMK Jamon, GMK Olive, GMK Mizu, GMK Olivia++, GMK Bingsu, GMK Analog Dreams, GMK Botanical, GMK Moondust, GMK Taro R2, GMK Hennessey, GMK Serika R2, GMK Birch, GMK Tuzi, GMK Red Alert, GMK Zooted, GMK Hazakura, GMK Cyrillic Beige, GMK Lavender, GMK Daifuku, GMK November Fog, GMK Villanelle, GMK Blossom, DCS 9009 WYSE Alps

On order: GMK Tiramisu, GMK Maroon, GMK Bordeaux, GMK Taiga