Author Topic: ErgoDox - Custom split ergo keyboard.  (Read 1237998 times)

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
Re: [Interest Check] Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #850 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 23:13:43 »
If interest is still high in this and progress is still being made, I'd be willing to buy one for about $500, assuming the price includes everything needed to get it working and a set of blank keycaps.

The case will determine if it ends up costing more or less than $500 I believe. A milled aluminium case will ofc make it cost quite a bit, but there are other options in the works.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #851 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 00:35:26 »
I thought I registered interest in a PCB

Anyways, I'm interested in a pcb :D
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #852 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 01:06:01 »
Interested

Offline Ian S

« Reply #853 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 08:50:21 »
I've not read the whole 29 pages.  Is there an option for Topre switches?
QPAD MK85 MX-red currently wearing beige vintage Cherry double shots.  Logitech K750.  Cherry G80 1000 with Blacks / Grey (circa 1990) that I've had since about 1994.

Sold: Realforce 88UB 45g; QPAD MK80 MX-Blue.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #854 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 08:52:41 »
I've not read the whole 29 pages.  Is there an option for Topre switches?

Not a chance.

This is only for Cherry MX. Making one for alps wouldn't be that difficult, but it would require a new pcb to be made. Topre is just way to different unfortunately.

Offline Ian S

« Reply #855 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 09:09:13 »
Would that be related to a controller to work with the capacitive switches?  Oh well. :(  I anyway half expected all that and the switches too would be propriety and not for third party products.

Thanks for your reply  :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 September 2012, 09:11:12 by Ian S »
QPAD MK85 MX-red currently wearing beige vintage Cherry double shots.  Logitech K750.  Cherry G80 1000 with Blacks / Grey (circa 1990) that I've had since about 1994.

Offline dirge

« Reply #856 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 10:31:10 »
Making one for alps wouldn't be that difficult, but it would require a new pcb to be made.

ALPS!!!! make it happen! just moar ALPS!
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline sordna

« Reply #857 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 11:46:50 »
For a split ergonomic keyboard with topre switches, there is the μTron / uTron ... here, Amazon-Japan has it:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Personal-Media-Media-%E3%83%9E%E3%82%A4%E3%82%AF%E3%83%ADTRON%E3%82%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%83%9C%E3%83%BC%E3%83%89-U01C0240-01-%E5%B7%A6%E5%8F%B3%E5%88%86%E9%9B%A2%E5%9E%8B%E9%9D%99%E9%9B%BB%E5%AE%B9%E9%87%8F%E7%84%A1%E6%8E%A5%E7%82%B9%E6%96%B9%E5%BC%8F%E3%82%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%83%9C%E3%83%BC%E3%83%89%EF%BC%88%E3%83%86%E3%83%B3%E3%82%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AC%E3%82%B9%EF%BC%89/dp/B004BZ2TOA

Would that be related to a controller to work with the capacitive switches?  Oh well. :(  I anyway half expected all that and the switches too would be propriety and not for third party products.

Thanks for your reply  :)
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #858 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 12:00:06 »
If you can't figure out what it costs from that page: Be glad.
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline docomoz

« Reply #859 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 09:12:07 »
I'm in. No matter the cost.

Offline Pyrolistical

« Reply #860 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 15:55:46 »
I'm in. No matter the cost.

Boy, do I have a keyboard for you sir!

Offline Ian S

« Reply #861 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 16:19:13 »
For a split ergonomic keyboard with topre switches, there is the μTron
Ah, thanks, yes I saw that a little while ago together with a video and that board seemed to be 'wrong' in a couple or so ways, not least, the price, but I recall the slope and angle looked wrong, maybe had too few keys, either way, unlike docomoz above, alas or me price is a factor.

Offline kta

« Reply #862 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 06:16:48 »
This is really promising, it looks like the perfect input device to me:)

if the price is in the 500$ range, I am interested for at least one set.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #863 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 19:24:15 »
anyone interested in pooling together to print some ergodox cases?

Offline litster

« Reply #864 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 12:43:43 »
bpiphany enlisted me as his beta tester. I soldered diodes and a teensy on to the right hand PCB (no connectors or resistors). After I flashed the firmware from github on to the teensy, the keyboard is not recognized by Windows at all when I plug it in.

Do I need to connect the two halves together in order for the teensy to boot correctly? Do I need to flash both .hex and .eep files onto the teensy? the 1.06 loader doesn't seem to know how to flash the .eep file.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #865 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 12:56:01 »
yeah... the .eep is in the same exact format as .hex, if you rename it then it'll load... I just don't know how the teensy loader determines where to load it to.  The file should tell it, but does it listen?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline bisl

« Reply #866 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 12:56:18 »
anyone interested in pooling together to print some ergodox cases?

Absolutely. If you haven't seen it though you might want to check out JesuswasaZombie's GB IC thread as I think there are also moves being made there to coordinate this. Either way, I'm in! I'd like to see this happen as soon as possible.

bpiphany enlisted me as his beta tester.

AWESOME. I'm really excited to get the kind of info from the field that you're providing. Hope you keep the thread posted!
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2012, 12:58:33 by bisl »

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #867 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 12:57:37 »
Maybe some clues here:  see updates to rev 1.05

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader.html

and more here

Hi guys!  Here's the EEPROM-writing asm code the GUI-based Teensy Loader
uses.  Actually, a binary copy of this is built into the Teensy Loader.   
When opening the .hex file, the Teensy Loader checks if there's an .elf
file which matches the .hex file, and if so the .eeprom section is
extracted from the .elf and appended to the binary data from of tiny
program.  Once downloaded and run, it just writes to the eeprom and then
jumps back to the bootloader.

Seems you need the original elf, or a way to put them back together.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2012, 13:04:55 by alaricljs »
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline sordna

« Reply #868 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 09:18:57 »
Why does deskthority get all the nice pictures ??

Copying couple of ic07's pics here, it looks sooooo nice

Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #869 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 09:32:13 »
Looking good
I love Elzy

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #870 on: Mon, 01 October 2012, 09:47:45 »
Thanks for cross-posting those from DT. =D
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline tiarnachutch

« Reply #871 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 17:47:59 »
What's the current ETA on having final designs and beginning production? The mock-ups look amazing.
Home: IBM Model M (1991)
Work: WASD with Cherry MX Blues, Microsoft Ergonomic 4000, Goldtouch v1

Offline Sinzz

« Reply #872 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 21:09:42 »
hmmm.. interested.. but will have to see the final designs first.
Keycool 84 MX Blue | Pure Pro | HHKB Pro 2

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #873 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 09:21:05 »
Prototypes are out in the field and are being beta-tested right now. The last remaining hurdle is the case, and even I still have no idea when we can expect that to be completed. You can always check out this thread on Deskthority for engineering related info.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline bisl

« Reply #874 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 15:37:19 »
The last remaining hurdle is the case

I'd beta test on a yoga mat case like ic07 if it meant getting this thing sooner. Function over form! Case important, but less important; not sure if I'm alone in this opinion though.

Also I'm in between contracts right now so I've got a bunch of time I could dump into this. And a nice camera to indulge forum readers! :)

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #875 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 16:39:24 »
Why does deskthority get all the nice pictures ??

Copying couple of ic07's pics here, it looks sooooo nice

Prototypes are out in the field and are being beta-tested right now. The last remaining hurdle is the case, and even I still have no idea when we can expect that to be completed. You can always check out this thread on Deskthority for engineering related info.

This is VERY cool.  Nice work!

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #876 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 20:15:21 »
The last remaining hurdle is the case

I'd beta test on a yoga mat case like ic07 if it meant getting this thing sooner. Function over form! Case important, but less important; not sure if I'm alone in this opinion though.

Also I'm in between contracts right now so I've got a bunch of time I could dump into this. And a nice camera to indulge forum readers! :)

Hah, I am one to disagree with you, because IMO it holds the greatest design and production challenge of the entire keyboard!

Cheers,

Offline ironman31

« Reply #877 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 20:36:02 »
yeah, without the case where is the 'ergo'?
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline bisl

« Reply #878 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 00:21:52 »

Respectfully: without the case, the keys are still laid out the same. If I were to guess, you'd opt for one of the sloped bottom designs? Personally, I'm going flat, so the keyboard will be just as ergo for me without the case as it will be with it.

Hah, I am one to disagree with you, because IMO it holds the greatest design and production challenge of the entire keyboard!

Totally conceded! I'd be interested to know if there is anything that can be done to help this challenge progress.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #879 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 00:33:28 »

The staggering of the keys? The split between sections? I'm sure you could do a tent design without a case...

Offline sordna

« Reply #880 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 01:30:28 »
I haven't heard anything about this case being "ergo", so unless they can make it adjustable (which would be very difficult), it should be as flat and low profile as possible!

Then it would be up to each of us to prop/tilt/tent it as we please. I'll probably build a stand out of cardboard, or out of a coat-hanger or something, that can prop the keyboard halves to an angle of at least 45°

Offline bisl

« Reply #881 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 05:13:50 »
I haven't heard anything about this case being "ergo", so unless they can make it adjustable (which would be very difficult), it should be as flat and low profile as possible!

The diagrams for the case parts are on the ergodox website--there is one case top, and case bottoms of three different types:

flat:

sloped (vertical)

double-sloped (horizontal and vertical).

So while not being adjustable per se, it does appear as though there are options in the works. Not sure about 45° though.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #882 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 07:39:00 »
yeah, I was referring to the angled bottoms
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Workoft

« Reply #883 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 09:02:50 »
Hi,
This looks really good. Unfortunately, I didn't see this any earlier and now 30 pages are a lot to work through.
I have a few questions about the design.
What's the motivation for those extra keys on the bottom? I find keys like Alt, Ctrl and Alt-Gr on a conventional keyboard hard to reach with my fingers when my hands are in normal typing position, so I would think on an ergonomic keyboard there shouldn't be an extra row on the bottom.
Also the center keys are relatively hard to reach because it requires reaching over two columns.
Those who tried the prototype should know best, what's you experience with these?

Offline litster

« Reply #884 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 23:58:22 »
Here it is.  A couple of mistakes like the 3.5mm opening is too narrow, forgot the make room for the USB connector on the layers that sandwich the acrylic plate.  I want to have a built-in wrist rest to the case as well.  I will have to make all those changes for the next prototype.

Top view:

BTW, to use this case, you will need to solder SMD diodes or through-hole diodes on the bottom of the PCB.  SMD diodes on the bottom is better as you would not need to worry about the diode legs sticking up from the bottom.

Offline dirge

« Reply #885 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 03:14:08 »
Outstanding work litster!
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #886 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 03:16:44 »
Nice to see some progress being made on this. Hopfully too many custom boards don't come out at once, sounds dumb but I don't want to have to pick between custom boards. I WANT THEM ALL ^___^

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline bebuxe

« Reply #887 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 03:56:27 »
You have officially have me bought. No matter the price. I'll buy a one, and any others for my friends. Need money now for more materials and stuff?

I am wondering if we can process these for bulk orders. Nah, thinking way too ahead.

Better yet, want some server space to host your stuff? Or you got it covered?
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 October 2012, 04:00:11 by bebuxe »

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #888 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 08:50:58 »
Nice to see some progress being made on this. Hopfully too many custom boards don't come out at once, sounds dumb but I don't want to have to pick between custom boards. I WANT THEM ALL ^___^

Honestly, the eDox is too unique compared to all the other custom boards. I think owning one really will make you special compared to the numerous custom TKLs.

Cheers,

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #889 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 12:58:11 »

Honestly, the eDox is too unique compared to all the other custom boards. I think owning one really will make you special compared to the numerous custom TKLs.

Cheers,

Your right, but I'm not even sure I'll like an ergo keyboard yet. Plus I'm really like the GH60

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
[Interest Check] Custom split ergo keyboard.
« Reply #890 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 13:25:45 »
Looks good Lit, will similar colors be available as the filco/ Phantom acrylic cases?

Definitely hope the aluminum ones are reasonable. That design looks great.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #891 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 16:51:22 »
I tend to agree, litster. That case is funky, and I definitely liked what I saw of the Phantom cases.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline litster

« Reply #892 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 22:08:15 »
I have added a built-in wrist rest.  Also now I have a proper top layer thanks to DOX. 

click the picture to see the larger version that is not weird :-)

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #893 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 22:15:55 »
Nice idea, litster.  Interested to see the new prototype case with wrist rest.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline tiarnachutch

« Reply #894 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 22:31:10 »
I have added a built-in wrist rest.  Also now I have a proper top layer thanks to DOX. 

Show Image

click the picture to see the larger version that is not weird :-)
Excellent!
Home: IBM Model M (1991)
Work: WASD with Cherry MX Blues, Microsoft Ergonomic 4000, Goldtouch v1

Offline bisl

« Reply #895 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 23:44:19 »
I have added a built-in wrist rest.

I like the idea of a built-in wrist rest, but I'd be worried about disagreements stemming from details surrounding it (padding/firmness, surface texture, wrist rest dimensions for different hand sizes, etc), and potential setbacks surrounding the discussion. Is this just for the prototype that you've been testing or are you suggesting this for the full run of cases? Is there a plan for people who don't want it?

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #896 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 14:18:05 »
I have added a built-in wrist rest.

I like the idea of a built-in wrist rest, but I'd be worried about disagreements stemming from details surrounding it (padding/firmness, surface texture, wrist rest dimensions for different hand sizes, etc), and potential setbacks surrounding the discussion. Is this just for the prototype that you've been testing or are you suggesting this for the full run of cases? Is there a plan for people who don't want it?

Yeah I would rather not have a builtin wrist rest, not only for the materials cost increase, but also because it'll take a lot of space. Cool though, and to each their own.

Cheers,

Offline litster

« Reply #897 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 20:01:44 »
Now with wrist rest:

And a view of the encased Teensy and other parts:

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #898 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 20:29:59 »
Wow litster that is beautiful. Great work !
I love Elzy

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #899 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 21:59:30 »
I agree looking good.