Author Topic: What is your first keyboard? Is its layout your favorite one until now?  (Read 11975 times)

Offline rxc92

Re: What is your first keyboard? Is its layout your favorite one until now?
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 26 November 2023, 14:44:16 »
Went from 80% (arrow keys in the numpad) to TKL, then FC660, then 60%. TKL is still my favorite, followed by the FC660 (67%?) then 60% and full size. As I get older my hands and wrists appreciate the shorter keyboards, but not having F and arrow keys is a bother! An FC660 layout with F keys would be perfect for me.

Offline marksen

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 26 November 2023, 15:10:34 »
i mean i know your profile said "weird funny old guy" but i thought that meant you were like 40. im glad i didnt have to type on typewriters lol

If I say that the first keyboard that I gave my heart and soul to was the one supplied with a VT220, how weird, how funny, and how old would that be?

Offline transeurasian

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 05:48:38 »
i dont even remember my first ever keyboard at all :-[

Offline zlobin356

• Hi! My name is zlobin, im a big korean keebs fan!
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 06:05:50 »
My first keyboard was membrane lowprofile keyboard, first mechanical keyboard was a cheap 60% board with BSUN blue's. My favorite layouts: WKL TKL, 60Tsangan, 60HHKB, 75compact
Akko ACR59/Tecsee Sapphire(L)/Shenpo
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2/MX Blue/Cherry POM

Offline garynguyen

• Tap hoa Phim
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 23:04:00 »
I dont remember my first keyboard, but my first mechanical keyboard is Ducky One 2 rific. Then I tried Leopold, Keychron, FL-Esports

My first custom keyboard is Keychron Q2 - still use it daily for working. However, my favorite layout now is TKL, I have my Sunset 80 as my endgame keeb at this moment.
TKL is the most "balanced" layout to me. Not too big but not too small. Provides full functionality but not anything redundant.

I totally agree, I tried full size, 96% (1800 compact), TKL, 75% and 65%, I see TKL and 75% are the most balanced layout for both working and gaming. I just change to 75% with Wind Z75 and feel comfortable with it.

AMD 5600X - RX 6600XT

Ducky One 2, Leopold 900RBT
Keychron Q2, Enter67, Tofu65, Sunset80, Wind Z75

Offline TWX

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 04 February 2024, 18:32:04 »
My first keyboard at home would have come with the Packard Bell XT.  One of these:
305995-0
I probably used most at home a Gateway 2000 'Anykey' battleship keyboard.  It was rubberdome but had a nice feel regardless and was macro programmable.  Doing forums the left side function keys were programmed for bold etc.

Right now I'm not sure.  I use a laptop for personal stuff, or even a phone, but for work I'm still working out what I like.
TWX
C:\>echo y|format C: /q

Offline atarione

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 04 February 2024, 19:49:23 »
1st keyboard was on my Commodor C64,  1st pc keyboard was whatever Compaq included with my K6II 400 pc.. as I recall it was crap.

1st keyboard I bought was a keytronic fullsized membrane keyboard that vaguely looked like a model m but wasn't.

1st Mechanical keyboard was a WASD V1 fullsize mx brown keyboard

and the format I prefer is TKL 87key for sure... I mostly use a Filco MT2 TKL w/ mx-reds.

oh yeah.. I found this.. I have the compaq still (I can't tell what keyboard is hooked up to it), and my P3 1Ghz and my first MS ergo keyboard (I used these for a long time most of the 2000s probably)..  this photo circa 2002.. and yes my cable managements skill are amazing, they are not that much better now honestly. 

My Filco is nearly a decade old I have bought a few keyboards since then most recently a GMK67 but I keep going back to the Filco as I really like it. 

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 05 February 2024, 06:48:12 »
1st keyboard was on my Commodor C64,  1st pc keyboard was whatever Compaq included with my K6II 400 pc.. as I recall it was crap.

1st keyboard I bought was a keytronic fullsized membrane keyboard that vaguely looked like a model m but wasn't.

1st Mechanical keyboard was a WASD V1 fullsize mx brown keyboard

and the format I prefer is TKL 87key for sure... I mostly use a Filco MT2 TKL w/ mx-reds.

oh yeah.. I found this.. I have the compaq still (I can't tell what keyboard is hooked up to it), and my P3 1Ghz and my first MS ergo keyboard (I used these for a long time most of the 2000s probably)..  this photo circa 2002.. and yes my cable managements skill are amazing, they are not that much better now honestly. 

My Filco is nearly a decade old I have bought a few keyboards since then most recently a GMK67 but I keep going back to the Filco as I really like it.

i too have the keytronic faux-m. its a good poor-man's variable topre imo
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 05 February 2024, 14:02:49 »

Selectric II typewriters in high school keyboarding class

In my typing class in 1968, we were assigned to manual typewriters for the first half to learn "proper technique" that is - holding the hands a couple of inches above the keys and thrusting the finger down with a flick of the wrist to generate enough force to actuate the key mechanism. It resembled a heron striking a frog.

After we had mastered that we were allowed to move up to the Selectrics at the back of the room for training on the modern typewriters that would be the future standard.

i mean i know your profile said "weird funny old guy" but i thought that meant you were like 40. im glad i didnt have to type on typewriters lol
I'm only 36 and whenever I'm at keyboard meetups I out-age almost everyone by a factor of 2 or 3 xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 06:44:18 »

Selectric II typewriters in high school keyboarding class

In my typing class in 1968, we were assigned to manual typewriters for the first half to learn "proper technique" that is - holding the hands a couple of inches above the keys and thrusting the finger down with a flick of the wrist to generate enough force to actuate the key mechanism. It resembled a heron striking a frog.

After we had mastered that we were allowed to move up to the Selectrics at the back of the room for training on the modern typewriters that would be the future standard.

I'm only 36 and whenever I'm at keyboard meetups I out-age almost everyone by a factor of 2 or 3 xD .

never been to a meetup (hopefully this year) but i joined the Deskthority discord server at like 16 or 17 and people thought i was young for some reason
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Neongreen

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 06:54:47 »
Keychron K4 96%

I like the look of TKL but I need F row and numpad for my job.
The cramped layout is unpopular with people but I like how symmetric it looks, and I learned new hand positions not to accidentally hit other keys.

Offline wjrii

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 18:32:24 »
Keychron K4 96%

I like the look of TKL but I need F row and numpad for my job.
The cramped layout is unpopular with people but I like how symmetric it looks, and I learned new hand positions not to accidentally hit other keys.

The only issue I really have with that type of layout is that I like to be able to find the arrow keys by feel, whether that means a gap or locating them in the corner. A blocker or otherwise making some space is nice, but a little dab of Bondic on the down arrow, or just something to replicate a decent homing key, is almost as good.

Offline nomodeset

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 07 February 2024, 07:54:36 »
My first keyboard was a Nightfox it was about 6 years ago. I still remember that around 300 euro's after taxes and whatnot was pretty darn expensive for me. And fun fact I'm actually typing this message on it! I revived it last week with some new switches stabs and a new keycap set!

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 07 February 2024, 09:49:11 »
My first keyboard was a TKL. Due to my job duties, having a 10 key is very useful and I am not a fan of layers so I have been maining a full size keyboard at both work and home. Home is a GMMK full size and at work is a hand wired Apple AEK2. It's such a stark contrast in keycap feel/height, but I can't decide what I like more.

I like the SA profile keycaps, but I love the feel of the alps switches. Maybe one day we will get an SA profile for Alps.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline AJM

If I ignore my first home computer (Amstrad/Schneider CPC464), my first separate keyboard was the one of the Amstrad/Schneider PC1512. It was a clone of the IBM PC/XT keyboard, but weirder.
The IBM PC/XT layout is still my favourite layout.

Offline mohawk1367

My first keyboard was a TKL. Due to my job duties, having a 10 key is very useful and I am not a fan of layers so I have been maining a full size keyboard at both work and home. Home is a GMMK full size and at work is a hand wired Apple AEK2. It's such a stark contrast in keycap feel/height, but I can't decide what I like more.

I like the SA profile keycaps, but I love the feel of the alps switches. Maybe one day we will get an SA profile for Alps.
you can get some taller caps off alps typewriters but you wont get a full kit. i have canon typewriter caps on my CA66

Offline sarahn27

• Null Design Co
Mine was a Drop Enter. Now I've realized that I don't like TKL's because I rarely use the cluster of keys on the right side. But it was a great entry level keyboard.