Author Topic: Blue vs Brown  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Keyboardnoobb

Blue vs Brown
« on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 10:22:26 »
Okay, this is my absolute last question on here. I apologize, as this is my third question, but I want to make sure I get the right keyboard for how much I'll be paying. I'm thinking that I'm leaning towards blues. Not too much because of the clicking noise, but the bump. I haven't actually tried blues, but I tried the razer switch in the blackwidow ultimate and the brown switch in the Logitech. Simply put, it seems like the blackwidow has a lot more of a perceptive bump than the brown (not including the click). Is this the same as the blue, as I honestly confused the brown for the red at first because I could hardly feel the bump until I really slowed down on the key press.

If this is the case, I'm definitely going for blue, but I really wanted to make sure. Thanks so much for all the help so far everyone!!!

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
Re: Blue vs Brown
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 10:30:26 »
Okay, this is my absolute last question on here. I apologize, as this is my third question, but I want to make sure I get the right keyboard for how much I'll be paying. I'm thinking that I'm leaning towards blues. Not too much because of the clicking noise, but the bump. I haven't actually tried blues, but I tried the razer switch in the blackwidow ultimate and the brown switch in the Logitech. Simply put, it seems like the blackwidow has a lot more of a perceptive bump than the brown (not including the click). Is this the same as the blue, as I honestly confused the brown for the red at first because I could hardly feel the bump until I really slowed down on the key press.

If this is the case, I'm definitely going for blue, but I really wanted to make sure. Thanks so much for all the help so far everyone!!!

The bump on browns are noticeable, maybe you could do a typing test on it before purchasing.
Blues on the other hand have that click therefore you know when it's actuated. I'd go for either one. Owned both of them, loved both of them.
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 10:45:27 »
It's a personal preference sort of thing, you need to spend a bit of time with both of them to make up your mind. I personally prefer Browns over Blues.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Veridis

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 11:31:52 »
Browns are often described as being identical to browns except for the click. This is not true in my personal experience.. I've used mx blues for 6 years, and browns for about a month. Currently I am liking browns more.
Blues have that "typewriter" feel that brown will never have. If you like that feel, go for blue.
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (MX Brown) | CM Rapid-i (MX Brown) | Realforce 87u 45g Uniform | CM Novatouch | Ducky Zero TKL (MX Brown) | Das Keyboard III (MX Blue)

Offline Polymer

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 11:57:09 »
Yeah..they're definitely not the same..Blues will feel a bit cleaner and a more defined bump...

Some people call browns dirty reds..but that is because they're pressing them slowly..yes, slowly, browns are not nice feeling but that isn't how you use them either..

With typing or gaming they feel great..

I actually like blues as well but the clicking has to go...Many many years ago it was pretty normal but nowadays it is just annoying for anyone around you...

Offline Keyboardnoobb

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 13:39:16 »
Yeah..they're definitely not the same..Blues will feel a bit cleaner and a more defined bump...

Some people call browns dirty reds..but that is because they're pressing them slowly..yes, slowly, browns are not nice feeling but that isn't how you use them either..

With typing or gaming they feel great..

I actually like blues as well but the clicking has to go...Many many years ago it was pretty normal but nowadays it is just annoying for anyone around you...

I definitely know what you mean by the "dirty red" thing. The problem about how it feels when it's pushed slow, I just don't feel much of a bump when I'm actually typing. I think I like the feel of the blues a lot more, I just hope I can get used to the noise.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 13:55:12 »
I also disagree with the notion brown and blue are the same minus clicks.  I've been testing the two over the past week and the blues definitely have a more pronounced tactile bump.  I think the best way to describe it is that the blue's bump feels sharper, kinda like driving over a speedbump at 10-15mph vs 5mph.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 15:17:39 »
Blues have a sharper feel for sure. Browns are a whole lot smoother.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Keyboardnoobb

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 15:49:05 »
Ya I totally agree with what everyone is saying. I really think I much prefer the blues, so hopefully the noise won't get too annoying.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 15:52:49 »

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 15:55:06 »
Ya I totally agree with what everyone is saying. I really think I much prefer the blues, so hopefully the noise won't get too annoying.

It kinda does. Hope you don't plan on using it in the office or anything.

Offline Keyboardnoobb

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 18:37:25 »

It kinda does. Hope you don't plan on using it in the office or anything.
No, this is going to be my gaming keyboard and just regular keyboard I'll be using at my place.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 18:45:52 »
Blues have a sharper feel for sure. Browns are a whole lot smoother.

I agree with this! However, as someone with blues and browns, I have to say I prefer the browns. While the blues, IMO, feel awesome! They can get pretty loud sometimes if I don't have music/headphones on. I get self conscious when I type with other people in the room! I like the sharp "click" feel, but the noise gets a bit old. I use a poker II with blues but I ordered one recently with browns to replace it because the noise matters more to me, personally, than the slight difference in feel. I'll also note I've put different types of O-rings on my blues to dampen the sound and the clicky sound still made me buy browns.

I also like clears and will probably get a clears poker next time I have a chance ! Order on of theses - http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-keycap-cherry-mx-switch-o-ring-pro-sampler-tester-kit.html

*also, you said gaming - if you skype or whatever while gaming the blues might not be so nice for your friends.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 October 2014, 18:50:54 by Booper »
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline onemoretry

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 21:43:45 »
I've used blues and browns for several years. Both are great switches, it's a difficult decision, but I prefer Browns mostly for the lower actuation force (I get wrist pain). Can't go wrong either way. But I would agree with the posters above, the bump on browns is definitely noticeable when typing.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 15:29:44 »
If you feel like the bump on Browns is not big enough, get Clears. Much better tactility than either Browns or Blues and without the annoying cheap-sounding click. They're even better with thick high quality keycaps. Worlds apart from Browns or Blues with thin ABS caps.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 04:07:37 »
I can attest that browns feel a bit soft
eh o well