Author Topic: Truly Ergonomic concept board vs. the new Maltron you can buy now!  (Read 30703 times)

Offline sordna

Truly Ergonomic concept board vs. the new Maltron you can buy now!
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 21:23:28 »
Quote from: Architect;333841
As I mentioned Windows will kick the Kinesis in the butt on wake from sleep. It appears to do a full USB reset (the keyboard makes the same sound as when you plug it in.) On the Mac, no such sound, obviously a different reset sequence, and the keyboard comes up schizophrenic.

Hmm, I've noticed such an issue on my USB Kinesis Advantage, it sometimes does that "click" sound even by itself (especially if I plug something else into the computer) and (rarely) freezes in which case I need to unplug it and plug it back in.
Have you contacted Kinesis about this? If so, what did they say?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 21:45:55 »
Quote from: sordna;333880
Hmm, I've noticed such an issue on my USB Kinesis Advantage, it sometimes does that "click" sound even by itself (especially if I plug something else into the computer) and (rarely) freezes in which case I need to unplug it and plug it back in.
Have you contacted Kinesis about this? If so, what did they say?

Even though apparently they have multiple reports of said problems, they seem to blame it on Apple, say they can't reproduce and ultimately won't do anything about it. The only fix is to plug/replug the keyboard every time after waking from sleep, which happens constantly during the day. A little annoying, after 15 years I've had it with Kinesis.

Joe - that's fine thanks, but I'll wait for the TE. It's a fraction of the price and has exactly what I want. TBD.
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline sordna

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 22:29:47 »
Well, having my palms flat (pronation) bothers my hands, so the TE is not for me. I would certainly be interested if the TE had separated / freely moving halves, that I could place in a tented position. Thus, I'll wait for the Kinesis Advantage with the red cherries, I bet it will be available BEFORE the TE is.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 April 2011, 23:02:58 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline kps

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 10:49:48 »
I use a Kinesis contoured on OS X and have no problems; the difference, I suspect, is that I have a KVM switch in between.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 11:54:14 »
Quote from: Architect;333900
Even though apparently they have multiple reports of said problems, they seem to blame it on Apple, say they can't reproduce and ultimately won't do anything about it. The only fix is to plug/replug the keyboard every time after waking from sleep, which happens constantly during the day. A little annoying, after 15 years I've had it with Kinesis.

Joe - that's fine thanks, but I'll wait for the TE. It's a fraction of the price and has exactly what I want. TBD.

I plug various Kinesis Contoured boards (ps/2, USB) into several Macs (Intel chip models) with Tiger/Snow Leopard, either directly or through a USB hub, and use VMware for Windows and never have those issues. I imagine if Kinesis can't reproduce it, they can't evaluate it. It sounds like a ****ty problem that I couldn't tolerate. :(

One the TE, as I look at the key layout, where is a "command/windows" key? Is it in the upper row?
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 17:06:05 »
Quote from: input nirvana;334234
I plug various Kinesis Contoured boards (ps/2, USB) into several Macs (Intel chip models) with Tiger/Snow Leopard, either directly or through a USB hub, and use VMware for Windows and never have those issues. I imagine if Kinesis can't reproduce it, they can't evaluate it. It sounds like a ****ty problem that I couldn't tolerate. :(

One the TE, as I look at the key layout, where is a "command/windows" key? Is it in the upper row?

There are a lot of things they could do that they didn't. System logs, USB probe tool logging, bus probing, etc, never mind opening a ticket with Apple. If I was working for the company you can be sure I'd have it solved.

At any rate you can apparently map them anywhere. I posted my future mapping on one of these threads, I'm putting the Command/Option/Control on the two lower corners (Option 109 blank layout)
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline Forsaken

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 02:19:06 »
That programmers maltron is strange. Anyone else notice the "K42" key? What in the world?

And there are two blank keys, one on each far side.

Offline Proword

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 03:24:19 »
"K42"?  Wasn't the answer to the question of "Life, The Universe and Everything"  in the "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" 42?  Maybe this keyboard is "Deep Thought" in disguise.

Joe
Maltron 3D Dual Hand (x4)
Maltron 3D Single Hand (x2 - L & R)

Many people think their lifestyle comes at a cost - but they are quite cool with that as long as somebody ELSE pays it.

Offline Proword

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 21 April 2011, 03:30:09 »
Just did a Google on "K42 program".  

Came up with this.
http://www.research.ibm.com/K42/papers/open-src.pdf

An open source Linux compatible O/S kernel!!

Joe
Maltron 3D Dual Hand (x4)
Maltron 3D Single Hand (x2 - L & R)

Many people think their lifestyle comes at a cost - but they are quite cool with that as long as somebody ELSE pays it.