Author Topic: Noise that Comes from Kinesis Advantage  (Read 13017 times)

Offline liist

Noise that Comes from Kinesis Advantage
« on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 08:37:55 »
I have used the Kinesis Advantage for two full days of transcribing and I have to say it's amazing. First day, I was significantly slowed down, but it didn't take me long to get used to the layout. The hardest part was entering Alt and Ctrl commands, but I've gotten that by the second day. I'm still slower than I was before, but I take fewer and shorter breaks and probably more overall productive (as we get paid by dictation time processed). It's been the comfortable keyboard that I've been looking for the whole time, and I'm retiring the Filco for the time being until my wrist heals up again.

Now the issue I have is that there's an electronic noise that comes from the keyboard when I type on it. I'm not sure how it happened, but it's there. I didn't notice as I'm always wearing headphones, but it can be quite annoying for home use if and when I decide to take it home.

I notice that this thing has all sorts of weird hidden features that I can potentially use. Just wanting to know how I can silence this thing.
Kinesis Advantage, Filco Majestouch-2 104, Unicomp Spacesaver with blank keys, Several IBM Model M\'s, two Microsoft keyboards (forever retired)

Offline kps

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 09:06:48 »
Press Program+Backslash to turn off the click, and Program+Hyphen to turn off the beep for caps- num- and scroll-lock. You can get a copy of the manual here.

Offline sordna

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 10:32:50 »
Congrats on getting a Kinesis Advantage!
The sound is configurable, as kps said.
I usually have the sound turned on, it's like having clicky switches... provides feedback that confirms the key registered. Regarding the ctrl and alt, key combinations work best if you do them using both hands. If you need to do CTRL-A for example, hold CTRL with the right hand, and if you need to do ALT-M, hold ALT with the left hand. Once you get used to it, it's both faster and easier on the hands than doing single-handed combinations. You can also record macros for any complex multi-key combinations, or phrases/signatures that you type often, to relieve your hands further.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 11:36:51 »
Between the extensive on-board programmability, and some 3rd party software, you can make it do almost anything besides press the perfect espresso. You can remap any key, and may want to remap/copy Alt and Control to better suit your needs.

You can always change to cherry reds from the browns. How do you like the light tactile response? What is the serial number on the back?

Don't forget, you need to name her :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Lanx

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 11:58:05 »
isn't naming keyboards weird? especially naming it her? i mean some guys bottom out, would that be cause for domestic violence?

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 12:19:53 »
I HAD to start naming them, there were way too many here, and different things were happening with different boards, so it was a logistics solution.

Nah...it's just a reminder that they have the ability to make life more enjoyable, but that you're still the head of house. And the names are mostly of supermodels :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Lanx

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 12:37:07 »
guess i'll name my first v1 Heidi (klum) since i'm (forced to) watch project runway, and the cherries are german. Heidi is getting old, time to replace her with the new hotness when i can mod it... ok now this is sounding like a weird relationship... idk if i like it.

Offline liist

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 September 2011, 16:00:26 »
So far I'm enjoying the brown switches although not as much as my Filco blue switches. Maybe it's because I have the bad habit of bottoming out every keystroke.Still no name for the keyboard. Not looking forward to working again, but this is the only thing left from me killing my hands.

It's known around work as the Monster Keyboard. Perhaps I can name her around that nickname.
Kinesis Advantage, Filco Majestouch-2 104, Unicomp Spacesaver with blank keys, Several IBM Model M\'s, two Microsoft keyboards (forever retired)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 September 2011, 16:06:01 »
Monster keyboard? Hmmm. How about Tyra (Banks) word on the street is that she's a focused "monster"

Lanx:
It doesn't need to be weird :)
I named one Claudia (Schiffer) hot and German.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 September 2011, 10:44:05 by input nirvana »

Offline nrd

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 September 2011, 06:48:18 »
Quote from: liist;409601
It's known around work as the Monster Keyboard. Perhaps I can name her around that nickname.
Name it Julie after Julie Adams who played Kay Lawrence in "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" - that movie is always the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear the term "monster" :smile:

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 September 2011, 10:46:20 »
Quote from: nrd;409882
Name it Julie after Julie Adams who played Kay Lawrence in "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" - that movie is always the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear the term "monster" :smile:

That's good.  Pretty girl in distress :)

Offline Lanx

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 10:43:19 »
i'm gonna be getting kinesis soon to play with and mod, i guess you kinesis guys call them keywells, the big concave part... I guess that resembles a supermodel sitting down and leaving an imprint, and currently the supermodel that is know for the @$$ is kim kardashian but i don't want to call my new kinesis (new to me) a reality star right off the bat and start off on a bad relationship so i'll call it J.Lo for the more refined booty.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 23:23:29 »
About 10 years ago I was in Las Vegas for Thanksgiving and I got sick as a dog. All I could do is overdose on meds and sleep it away for 2 days. In the mean time, about 3-4 guys were drooling over J.Lo and how rock'in she was. I didn't see it. I said a number of times that there's a lot hotter to drool over and that I thought she was second/third tier material, and for them to just shut up and wake me when something worthwhile was going on. While I was in a drug induced coma over the 2 days, they took a magazine photo shoot of J. Lo and put all the pages around my head and took pictures. They showed me the pics before I left. Ok, funny. But what they didn't show me were other pics they took with nasty, hard core, disgusting magazine pics (really gross, sick stuff) they put around my head while I was sleeping. I didn't see those for about 4-6 months until long after they had emailed them to most people we know and asked them not to tell me.

I have a lot of pricks for friends.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 September 2011, 00:57:55 »
I LOVE my Kinesis Advantage.  I admit, I bought it mostly to simply educate myself on a popular ergo 'board (with no intention of using it regularly)...however, it now is my daily driver and I would hate to do without it.  ;)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 06 September 2011, 01:26:46 »
Quote from: iMav;411206
I LOVE my Kinesis Advantage.  I admit, I bought it mostly to simply educate myself on a popular ergo 'board (with no intention of using it regularly)...however, it now is my daily driver and I would hate to do without it.  ;)

You are SO corruptible!

Offline sordna

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 06 September 2011, 01:37:43 »
I couldn't do without my Advantages either. I even love the arrow keys arrangement, especially after swapping up/down so they match JK in vi (index finger for down, middle finger for up).
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 06 September 2011, 02:16:46 »
"NOISE THAT COMES FROM OUTSIDE"
It's 12:15 am and the racoons just dumped my trash....bastards.

They sure are cute looking though.