Author Topic: Looking for advice on a replacement/repairs  (Read 933 times)

Offline Fiddich

Looking for advice on a replacement/repairs
« on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 10:16:13 »
First, I loved the process and getting to use it (while it worked). This was my first build. I really want to replace the broken PCB, but I'm nervous to spend even more money on an already expensive project.

I bought the KBDFans DZ60RGB V2 hotswap kit. It worked great for about a month when it stopped responding to input anywhere on the board. I flashed it, and I was ecstatic when that fixed most of the issue. The keyboard was now functioning, but I couldn't get Via to recognize it. I was stuck with rainbow RGB color overload (not my thing), but at least it worked. About a week later the RGB completely cut out, and it became unresponsive again. I tried to flash it again, but that hasn't worked. Windows recognizes something is plugged in with the usual noise that accompanies a USB device being plugged in, but the board remains unresponsive. The reset switch makes Windows lose the connection, then recognize it once I release it.

I really want to build another, so I don't actually mind replacing the PCB, but I don't know if I trust KBDFans with my money now. Is there a reliable source I can buy a replacement PCB from?

Offline yui

Re: Looking for advice on a replacement/repairs
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 10:26:05 »
i have gifted an XD60 from KPRepublic to a friend for xmas, and so far the only issues he had with it was that the pcb was marked as "GH60" and so he could not control the RGB when flashed with GH60 firmware (everything else worked flawlessly though).
although you may just had a defective board, it happen and is mostly out of control of kdbfans, if it happened a few months in they could not have tested it for that long before selling it, i do not know their after sales services but it may be worth contacting them to sort this out if it is only a few months old.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 10:37:32 »
personally if the board died or had any issues with in a few months of ownership, I would be contacting the retailer/company that made/supplied the board.  I would start there are then work around to looking at parts, in the end it's a piece of electronics and there are multitudes made in a day - a bad one will make it out past QC.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Fiddich

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 11:00:56 »
Thanks for the replies! KBDFans only has a 7 day warranty period.

You're both right, I could have just got a lemon. A new one is only around $50, so that might just be the route I got.

If anyone has any suggestions to alternatives I'm open to trying something new! Needs to be hotswap. I want to learn how to solder, but the equipment currently isn't in the budget along with a new PCB.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 13:25:19 »
you might be overtightening the screws and the board has some sort of pin or metal that touches something and goes pffft.  These kits are made by amateurs hobbiests so, they don't always spec the sizes right leaving extra room for tolerances mismatch

Offline Fiddich

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 15:16:56 »
Good thought! I may need to check that out... Thanks!

Offline yui

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 01:41:38 »
Thanks for the replies! KBDFans only has a 7 day warranty period.

You're both right, I could have just got a lemon. A new one is only around $50, so that might just be the route I got.

If anyone has any suggestions to alternatives I'm open to trying something new! Needs to be hotswap. I want to learn how to solder, but the equipment currently isn't in the budget along with a new PCB.
although they officially only have a 7 day warranty they may still be willing to help you, often Chinese manufacturer will go above and beyond to satisfy customers, it is not a guaranty but even if they do not replace the board they may well know the problem and help you with troubleshooting, although do not be aggressive, if you do you will likely get nothing, be polite and ask for what to do not a straight up a refund. if you are polite and not demanding stuff you are more likely to get help.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Fiddich

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 19:20:54 »
I did not know that! Great information all around! I'll reach out and see if they might be able to help.