Author Topic: NovaTouch o rings  (Read 51765 times)

Offline colomb

NovaTouch o rings
« on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 07:36:37 »
Anyone know the size and density of the o rings that ship with the NovaTouch. I have two NTs, and one came without any o rings. I've tried several different kinds, but none seem to match the feel of the rings that shipped with the board. Thanks,

Offline need

Re: NovaTouch o rings
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 07:59:23 »
Anyone know the size and density of the o rings that ship with the NovaTouch. I have two NTs, and one came without any o rings. I've tried several different kinds, but none seem to match the feel of the rings that shipped with the board. Thanks,
don't use those orings, they are useless on a NT

Offline colomb

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 09:25:12 »
I wholeheartedly disagree. It really all comes down to a matter of taste, but I find them to have the best feel when paired with my caps. If you dislike yours, I'd be happy to take them off your hands.

Offline need

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 10:45:59 »
Apart from adding a little bit of weight to the keycaps, I don't see any effect that o-rings might have.

Let's not resolve to the "It's a matter of taste." conclusion.

Offline colomb

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 13:00:23 »
Apart from adding a little bit of weight to the keycaps, I don't see any effect that o-rings might have.

With the rings, the keys have a different (damped) sound and feel when bottoming out. The goal is to mimic the feel of a stock HHKB type-S and using the o rings that ship with the NT get me closer.

Offline need

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 13:33:27 »

With the rings, the keys have a different (damped) sound and feel when bottoming out. The goal is to mimic the feel of a stock HHKB type-S and using the o rings that ship with the NT get me closer.
Let's get this clear, are you talking about the noise from bottoming out of the inner switch or the keycaps?
Where exactly do you put the orings onto?

Contrary to popular believe putting orings on the topre keycaps stems does not dampen anything.
Orings work on cherry switches but doesn't on Topre. There's a reason why dampening pads such as hyperspheres' and HHKB type-s doesn't use orings for dampening their Topre switches. Orings aren't the answer to everything.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 June 2016, 13:39:58 by need »

Offline colomb

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 15:25:48 »

Let's get this clear, are you talking about the noise from bottoming out of the inner switch or the keycaps?
Where exactly do you put the orings onto?

Contrary to popular believe putting orings on the topre keycaps stems does not dampen anything.
Orings work on cherry switches but doesn't on Topre. There's a reason why dampening pads such as hyperspheres' and HHKB type-s doesn't use orings for dampening their Topre switches. Orings aren't the answer to everything.

I have hypersphere's rings installed on the boards as well. Let me be more specific regarding the ring on the key cap. It sits around the cap stem and acts as a pad between the slider and the top of the key cap. As a result, the caps sit a little bit higher with the ring than without. When bottoming out, the o ring compresses a bit, changing the feel slightly. There is no movement between the slider/ring/cap, but it does change the feel when bottoming out. The downside being that because the isn't all the way into the slider, lose caps can pop off.