Author Topic: GH60 Keyboard Project  (Read 607607 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: [Final Prototyping] GH60 Keyboard
« Reply #1550 on: Sat, 23 February 2013, 23:21:42 »
so is the hhkb layout out the window?

Just depends on komar being able to include a split backspace.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #1551 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 10:52:47 »
Currently, there are 4 pins free, all of which are used by JTAG by default. In order to make them usable, one has to connect an SPI programmer to those 6 pins I broke out under the GH60 logo and change the fuse bits settings.

Any chance to left the atmega I2C pins free in order to be able to expand or build addons?
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #1552 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 11:13:26 »
I have finished building mine and am typing this post with it. It's good to go, for the most part. Now to just wrap my head around getting it programmed how I want it...
What specs Ivan? :)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1553 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 12:26:34 »
I build it with red switches, with black on space, locking on right shift, and super black on caps lock. I changed my physical layout a little after thinking about it for awhile and used a 2.75 right shift instead of the 1.75 + 1 and use the left Alt as Fn since I am used to it already after using the Poker for so long. For keycap I use Cherry of course mainly white on black doubleshots, but use keycap from Dolch for WASD and Enter, Alr Gr on Fn from Skidata and original red Esc. Case is plastic one from Pure.

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #1554 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 13:08:24 »
Will it be possible to put custom actions on this (like macros), so like Fn + I opens ITunes, or am I talking rubbish? :D

Offline Strelok

« Reply #1555 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 13:15:16 »
Will it be possible to put custom actions on this (like macros), so like Fn + I opens ITunes, or am I talking rubbish? :D

This should be totally possible.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1556 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 13:15:36 »

Yes, I believe opening the default media player is available for mapping. My Fn layer already opens the calculator with Fn+O, and my default web browser with Fn+C.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1557 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 13:22:52 »
GH60>KMAC Happy. :D

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1558 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 16:50:55 »
Just FYI on those "universal" switch holes for the plates: they are less than perfect in practice, and I will avoid using them in the future. I had The_Beast make me some prototype plates based on those hole shapes, and it's really easy to rotate a switch when mounting them in the plate, so that they sit at an angle in the plate. Also, once the switch is mounted (properly) in the hole, it seems more "wobbly" than normal inside the hole. I'm not saying the hole doesn't work, but rather it may not be the BEST option.

in memoriam

Offline regack

« Reply #1559 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 18:18:29 »
Just FYI on those "universal" switch holes for the plates: they are less than perfect in practice, and I will avoid using them in the future.
Just a couple of questions for reference. Were the switches plate mount only?  Were they soldered onto a pcb as well or just free in the plate for testing the fit.  Thanks for being the guinea pig :D

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1560 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 18:27:07 »
Just FYI on those "universal" switch holes for the plates: they are less than perfect in practice, and I will avoid using them in the future.
Just a couple of questions for reference. Were the switches plate mount only?  Were they soldered onto a pcb as well or just free in the plate for testing the fit.  Thanks for being the guinea pig :D

These were plate mount switches, and the plate was designed for a 10-key pad, which I don't have a PCB for, yet (GHpad). I was just testing the fit, because I have some plate designs which I will be using as a prototyping testbed, without a PCB to solder the switches to. See this thread, for more info on what I'm talking about. I wanted to know if that hole design would support the switch well enough without a PCB, and now I know that it really won't. If the switches in those "universal" holes were mounted to a PCB, they probably wouldn't move much, if at all. And the point becomes moot if you are using PCB mount switches, obviously. The hole design is sound, but for me, it's just not PERFECT.

in memoriam

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #1561 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 21:20:15 »
The GH60 gerber files on github were saved in a kicad "unstable" version (a test version, not released yet).

It's kinda a pain to build the whole environment so I've found one already compiled version online for those interested.

Build 3805
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18290329/hosted/KiCad-2012-11-16-BZR3805-testing-Win_binaries-only.zip
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1562 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 21:50:13 »

These were plate mount switches, and the plate was designed for a 10-key pad, which I don't have a PCB for, yet (GHpad). I was just testing the fit, because I have some plate designs which I will be using as a prototyping testbed, without a PCB to solder the switches to. See this thread, for more info on what I'm talking about. I wanted to know if that hole design would support the switch well enough without a PCB, and now I know that it really won't. If the switches in those "universal" holes were mounted to a PCB, they probably wouldn't move much, if at all. And the point becomes moot if you are using PCB mount switches, obviously. The hole design is sound, but for me, it's just not PERFECT.

Was it exactly from my design or did you or Beast make your version of it? I sent Beast a file for it, so not sure if that's the one he used for you or if you guys made your own version of it. If you guys made one based off the phantom hole that was rotated and overlayed, then it'll be different than the one I sent to Beast. Mine had slightly different dimensions.

If it's straight from my file modified into your layout, then that's a real bummer :( . I guess I'll have to go back and check dimensions again. Dimensions were derived from my universal TKL plate. Btw, since you bought a universal TKL plate from my GB, how does the hole from the TKL compare to this rotated version? And is it loose at the corners or the sides? A macro shot of it would be great if you can.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1563 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 23:59:27 »

Was it exactly from my design or did you or Beast make your version of it? I sent Beast a file for it, so not sure if that's the one he used for you or if you guys made your own version of it. If you guys made one based off the phantom hole that was rotated and overlayed, then it'll be different than the one I sent to Beast. Mine had slightly different dimensions.

If it's straight from my file modified into your layout, then that's a real bummer :( . I guess I'll have to go back and check dimensions again. Dimensions were derived from my universal TKL plate. Btw, since you bought a universal TKL plate from my GB, how does the hole from the TKL compare to this rotated version? And is it loose at the corners or the sides? A macro shot of it would be great if you can.

It's my own version, based off the Phantom hole rotated. I forgot you did your own by taking measurements of the switches.

And it's really only loose at the corners, it seems. But it feels kinda "wobbly" in the plate.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 February 2013, 00:01:49 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #1564 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 13:08:27 »
Sorry about asking so many questions but would it be possible to use a MX Lock Switch (http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX_Lock) for the Caps Lock? I'm just really interested in doing something cool and personalised with this board! :D

Offline sordna

« Reply #1565 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 13:15:17 »
I don't see why not, although you have to map the key as Shift, and essentially you'll have Shift Lock (ie apart from letters being capitalized, the num row will give you symbols)
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1566 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 13:23:58 »
Short answer: no, not on Caps Lock.

Long answer:
This keeps coming up, so it's not just you. I think people (myself included) want to have a MX Lock switch on their board for the :cool: factor. But Caps Lock doesn't quite work that way. When you press the Caps Lock key, the switch closes (KEY_DOWN) and then opens when you release it (KEY_UP). But the lock stays activated in firmware/OS until the next KEY_DOWN event. So if you had a MX Lock switch there, it stays down until you press it again. You'd have to do this: Press once, activate. Release: Nothing, switch is locked down (KEY_DOWN). Press 2nd time, unlocks the switch (KEY_UP), but the lock is still activated in FW/OS. Release: Nothing, lock still activated in FW/OS. Press 3rd time: Switch locks down, but now the Caps Lock deactivates in FW/OS. Release: Nothing, still deactivated. Press 4th time: Switch lock releases. Release: Still deactivated.

What you want to do with an MX Lock switch is something like Shift or Fn, that only functions while the key is pressed. Giving you Shift Lock or Fn Lock.

in memoriam

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #1567 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 13:24:58 »

Long answer:
This keeps coming up, so it's not just you. I think people (myself included) want to have a MX Lock switch on their board for the :cool: factor. But Caps Lock doesn't quite work that way. When you press the Caps Lock key, the switch closes (KEY_DOWN) and then opens when you release it (KEY_UP). But the lock stays activated in firmware/OS until the next KEY_DOWN event. So if you had a MX Lock switch there, it stays down until you press it again. You'd have to do this: Press once, activate. Release: Nothing, switch is locked down (KEY_DOWN). Press 2nd time, unlocks the switch (KEY_UP), but the lock is still activated in FW/OS. Release: Nothing, lock still activated in FW/OS. Press 3rd time: Switch locks down, but now the Caps Lock deactivates in FW/OS. Release: Nothing, still deactivated. Press 4th time: Switch lock releases. Release: Still deactivated.

What you want to do with an MX Lock switch is something like Shift or Fn, that only functions while the key is pressed. Giving you Shift Lock or Fn Lock.

Send me an MX lock, or 12

kthnx
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1568 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 13:25:55 »
Send me an MX lock, or 12

kthnx

I only have 3 of them! And I just got those in the mail yesterday, from 7bit. :)

in memoriam

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #1569 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 13:27:47 »
So you'll be sending me at least one, right?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #1570 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 13:31:24 »

Long answer:

Thank you for this explanation jdcarpe! I've been wanting to use the MX-Lock as well, for the very same purpose and knowing how the Caps Lock works now makes things much more clear. Thank you.

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #1571 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 13:32:08 »
I don't see why not, although you have to map the key as Shift, and essentially you'll have Shift Lock (ie apart from letters being capitalized, the num row will give you symbols)

Long answer:

Ah Okay, the long description really helped :D might do this on my fn key if I can get hold of one! :D cheers guys  ;D

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #1572 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 13:32:19 »
Shift lock is the easy short-cut.  Because the matrix is fully NKRO, you could have the firmware send both make and break for both positions of the lock switch.  You still have the issue of getting out of sync due to another keyboard activating capslock or plugging in the keyboard with the switch in the wrong state, but it is possible to keep things reasonably sane.  The firmware is also aware of the real state of the software caps lock because of the LED state.  So one could tweak the firmware to be smart about it and not blindly resend the sequence if the lock switch and LED state do not match.  There would still be corner cases, like when the LED state is wrong, too.

Doesn't seem worth it to me, but some folks really seem to want to relive the 80s.
Russ

Offline sordna

« Reply #1573 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 13:32:35 »
This guy from London has some MXLOCK-PCB on hand that he's selling
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #1574 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 13:38:45 »
This guy from London has some MXLOCK-PCB on hand that he's selling

Thanks for that, I might order them and some other switches off him for the GH60 :) If i remember correctly from one of WhiteFireDragon's videos, you can simply remove the legs from PCB-mounted switches for Plate-mounting amiryt?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1575 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 13:39:27 »
I put lock switch on mine on the right shift as a novelty. To be honest I have find it to be super****ing annoying and am pretty sure it will be coming off.

Offline sordna

« Reply #1576 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 13:41:21 »
Thanks for that, I might order them and some other switches off him for the GH60 :) If i remember correctly from one of WhiteFireDragon's videos, you can simply remove the legs from PCB-mounted switches for Plate-mounting amiryt?

Yep, they're just plastic legs, easy to cut, so any PCB-mount cherry switch can be converted to plate-mount.

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #1577 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 15:42:17 »
Shift lock is the easy short-cut.  Because the matrix is fully NKRO, you could have the firmware send both make and break for both positions of the lock switch.  You still have the issue of getting out of sync due to another keyboard activating capslock or plugging in the keyboard with the switch in the wrong state, but it is possible to keep things reasonably sane.  The firmware is also aware of the real state of the software caps lock because of the LED state.  So one could tweak the firmware to be smart about it and not blindly resend the sequence if the lock switch and LED state do not match.  There would still be corner cases, like when the LED state is wrong, too.

Doesn't seem worth it to me, but some folks really seem to want to relive the 80s.

I just wanted to say exactly that;). Though I don't know why, but I can certainly lead to a situation where the caps-lock led is on on one keyboard and off on another, which rather makes it harder. I don't know if this is correct behaviour. Or rather it certainly isn't.
Again, probably not worth it:/

BTW, I have posted my programming GUI in the prototyping thread. Please help make it better by testing.
In fact making better is too much said. Please tell me if it runs for you at all;)
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #1578 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 15:46:24 »
For the case where the LED state is wrong, usually all keyboards will have their LED state fixed when any LED state changes for any keyboard.  The firmware would handle this once the LED state became correct.  I never use caps lock, so this is a non-issue for me.  In fact, I find shift lock more useful than caps lock.  :)
Russ

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1579 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 16:31:10 »

I just wanted to say exactly that;). Though I don't know why, but I can certainly lead to a situation where the caps-lock led is on on one keyboard and off on another, which rather makes it harder. I don't know if this is correct behaviour. Or rather it certainly isn't.
Again, probably not worth it:/

BTW, I have posted my programming GUI in the prototyping thread. Please help make it better by testing.
In fact making better is too much said. Please tell me if it runs for you at all;)
hmmm..

if we are low on this round of prototype boards, the fact is that as much as i want to contribute to the source, the actual geekhack source (and well, work) takes priority. would my prototype board be better off with someone who has the time to test and contribute?

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #1580 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 16:37:44 »
I would love to test one of these prototype boards, but I don't really think I have much to bring to the table because I've never built a custom keyboard before. I'm a .net software developer so unless that would help in our GH60 quest, I'll have to wait for the GB :)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1581 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 16:50:46 »
I will play with your programming tool when I get home.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #1582 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 16:54:10 »
Well, we are talking about firmware testing now.  I don't think that anything being discussed here blocks the progress of the PCB GB.  Worst case, we can provide precooked binaries for basic layouts until the software bells and whistles are working.

That said, I would be happy to help debug firmware issues if there were PCBs sitting unused.  ;)
Russ

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1583 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 17:10:02 »
no, the firmware doesn't block the PCB development, but i actually want to run one more batch of prototypes using the new switch orientation, hackerpads, etc. this will be a quicky tiny run. i was perfectly happy to fund it, but i am short on funds now..

anyway, if there's someone who can help test and develop but doesn't have a board, i can offer up my board

eta: it's completely built except for the led being flipped or some such

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #1584 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 17:41:11 »
I hate to do a TL;DR post, but hopefully my questions will help benefit others keeping up with this thread. All of my questions are being asked out of ignorance and not out of preference.  ;D

1. Why Choose To Not Include LEDs?
I understand there won't be support for backlighting and that certainly not a deal breaker, but I'm just curious about the decision. I would assume that it made everything much more complicated, but I find this project fascinating and love hearing the reasoning behind the decisions.

2. Why Are Some Switches Rotated?
There's been a lot of discussion about how some switches will need to be rotated and I'm just curious why. I'm still learning and maybe all compact boards do this, but again just curious to the reasoning behind it.

Thanks in advance!

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1585 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 17:42:33 »
1: It's hard.   More accurately, it's hard to provide as much customizability as users have come to expect from a GH produced board.  (see layouts)  Several people have been working on blacklight solutions... just not there yet.

2:  It's to avoid drill hole overlap for either the leads or pins of the switch.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #1586 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 17:48:20 »
1: It's hard.   More accurately, it's hard to provide as much customizability as users have come to expect from a GH produced board.  (see layouts)  Several people have been working on blacklight solutions... just not there yet.

2:  It's to avoid drill hole overlap for either the leads or pins of the switch.

Thank you for being so patient and explaining it to me.  :-*

Offline sordna

« Reply #1587 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 20:58:43 »
Also, with LED's you can no longer open up switches (to lube sliders or change springs) without some desoldering.

Offline gnubag

« Reply #1588 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 21:03:47 »
Also, with LED's you can no longer open up switches (to lube sliders or change springs) without some desoldering.

well you could do what WFD has done with his QFR.
just dremel/cut out the bottom for the leds on the top casing.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40126.0

Offline sordna

« Reply #1589 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 02:06:47 »
Thank you for that, I've dremeled my keyboards but never thought to dremel the switch housing! What a nice idea, although I suspect it might make the switches more prone to accumulating dust inside.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1590 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 20:58:09 »
Thus the one tome that the stickers serve an actual purpose instead of pretty colors. :D

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #1591 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 10:36:38 »
Hey there, hi there!

Does anyone have a rough gauge on how much a PCB+Plate+Plastic/Acrylic Case will cost? :D

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1592 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 10:46:19 »
Hey there, hi there!

Does anyone have a rough gauge on how much a PCB+Plate+Plastic/Acrylic Case will cost? :D

Not really. We still don't really know how much this will all cost, but we should know something soon. komar007 is getting the info from the PCB fab.

in memoriam

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #1593 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 10:53:43 »
Hey there, hi there!

Not really. We still don't really know how much this will all cost, but we should know something soon. komar007 is getting the info from the PCB fab.

Ah I see. I'm thinking between getting a GH60 or getting a poker.. decisions decisions.

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #1594 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 13:44:17 »
Get a Poker. You'll have a cheaper case for GH60:)
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #1595 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 14:20:54 »
Get a Poker. You'll have a cheaper case for GH60:)

Would you really recommend that :P I hope the GB comes soon though, I've got everything prepared for it except the PCB xD

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1596 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 14:37:43 »
Well actually if you got a good price on a used one or something it is not a terrible idea. Then you are set for all the parts needed for the most basic build and then swap it for a GH60 PCB. If one was really lucky they might be able to sell the Poker PCB for something assuming too many people don't do the same.

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #1597 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 16:09:21 »
Will this layout be possible?
Link

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1598 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 02:05:12 »
I'm finally able to integrate everything I know to get this. The keycaps are cherry profile, inside the case that I designed.

I'll render all the different layouts like this. I think this is easier for newbs to see possible layouts than it is just looking at plates I posted. Although, each render like this burns a couple hours of my time just preping it for the final render.

Offline Sai

« Reply #1599 on: Mon, 04 March 2013, 02:19:18 »
i am waiting for the HHKB layout.  ;D
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2