Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 611752 times)

Offline dndlmx

Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #2200 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 22:19:11 »
I question whether there's any point to using FreeBSD. OpenBSD I have avoided due to lack of features and general oddness. But it's a pretty niche thing. Why couldn't I "just use Linux"? I dunno. FreeBSD has a certain charm. Debian is probably the most similar distro.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2201 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 00:08:48 »
I question whether there's any point to using FreeBSD. OpenBSD I have avoided due to lack of features and general oddness. But it's a pretty niche thing. Why couldn't I "just use Linux"? I dunno. FreeBSD has a certain charm. Debian is probably the most similar distro.

Install Gentoo.

Offline danwomansan

• Also known by my real name, ********!
« Reply #2202 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 00:18:52 »
freebsd has a much better and faster userspace, fairly much better security, a cleaner codebase, and better x86 usage than linux.

on the other hand, linux has more support and drivers, and is far superior in usage on non-x86 platforms to any other modern OS

I run openBSD on my old x86 computers (comfier than freebsd), linux on my gaming/work desktop (though possibly soon to be freebsd), and linux on my arm machines (currently a server, two phones, and possibly soon to be a laptop)
it's pronounced "danw omansen", not "dan woman san"

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2203 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 06:57:14 »

You know, I had some issues with how the new FreeBSD code of conduct was handled. But after installing NetBSD to a usb drive and using that for a while I was kinda pulled into BSDs, so I had to give FreeBSD some love. The short answer: user ports (firmware support) and full out OpenZFS support (UFS is neat too--though NetBSDs FFS just sounds cool). Go with OpenBSD if you avoid bluetooth (thinkpad for wifi), and want a system with the least amount of security vulnerabilities. Go with TrueOS, GhostBSD, or MidnightBSD if you want GUI stuff without the fuss (can't confirm). Or just avoid Unix altogether and use Linux if that's what you want to do. I guess one could say that the stable FreeBSD ISO is somewhat similiar to the Debian net install ISO. Although, good luck with trying to integrate systemd into FreeBSD (BSD init is built-in). With all that said, the FreeBSD team releases a free to the public definitive handbook. The handbook is updated with every new release, and it's available as a PDF (728 pages atm). So that's pretty dang neat when you don't want to wade through wiki(s) to set up a server. Also, there's a decent chance that FreeBSD scripts will work with OSX boxes. Maybe not binaries, though from what I understand OSX utilizes a lot of opensource tools from FreeBSD like sed, awk, etc.. However, there is a joke about porting a shell from linux to make a linux script work in FreeBSD. Even though my startx wrapper bash script is only ~250 lines, it took me a few hours to port it from Arch to FreeBSD (still not done with debugging lol). Someone please shout out if I'm wrong about something. I'm triple booting Arch Linux, Lubuntu, and FreeBSD (UFS) atm--so obviously I'm still new to FreeBSD.

Sorry for the long winded post--if Netflix loads appliances with FreeBSD then the FreeBSD team must be doing something unique.

edit - Correction regarding the 'joke'. I was thinking of this quote: "It is easier to port a shell than a shell script." -Larry Wall
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 November 2018, 18:43:40 by csmertx »

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #2204 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 07:01:14 »
Why couldn't I "just use Linux"?

Because Linux lacks the QA which all of the BSDs have. I replaced my FreeBSD server by a Solaris server though. Their politics (mirrored in the Code of Conduct) are not mine.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #2205 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 10:51:09 »
Why couldn't I "just use Linux"?

Because Linux lacks the QA which all of the BSDs have. I replaced my FreeBSD server by a Solaris server though. Their politics (mirrored in the Code of Conduct) are not mine.

Politics and COC aside, they are both monolithic OS's with a large following.

• actually, this guy
« Reply #2206 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 11:43:54 »
With Solaris being incredibly more reliable, especially after upgrades.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #2207 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 12:31:13 »
You mean like Illumos.. or the one that Oracle bought from Sun?

• actually, this guy
« Reply #2208 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 12:33:28 »
More like illumos, but I truly prefer the Solaris utilities on it to the GNU ones.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2209 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 13:00:30 »
I have no idea what I wasted my own time--clearly, Gentoo was the correct answer.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #2210 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 13:18:52 »
Gentoo is probably the distro that most resembles FreeBSD.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2211 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 13:49:59 »
Someone must be having a bad week.

In other news: I checked out Antix (introductory video.. interesting) recently to see if I can find a distro that could perhaps replace arch/bspwm on the laptop. I think I ended up using wicd for wifi which was fine, but I'm not about to jump ship just yet.  Though it is compelling to switch to something with a full blown DE like experience that takes up less than 200MB of RAM. I have no idea how it works with multiple displays though, didn't check that out. Antix definitely presents lots of settings options; one could get lost in those for several minutes. My bswpm has been set it and forget it in regards to multiple monitors. So it goes.

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #2212 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 14:55:35 »
Over the years, I've used Puppy Linux (incredibly fast as it runs from RAM) but I found some of the newer releases to be fussy and unpolished.  For the past couple of years, I've used Linux Lite 3.X (based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) on one of my other secondary boxes.  It's a lightweight distro, very stable and fast.  My main home computer is a little HP Pavilion Mini that ran OK with Windows 10, but one day, the wireless suddenly started giving me problems despite me changing to another wireless card.  I tried reinstalling Win 10, had problems and got fed up.  I installed Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit, which took < 10 minutes, and it's running unbelievably smoothly.  I'm very happy with this distro.  I may eventually upgrade to Lite 4.X soon.

Anyways, I'm pretty much 100% Linux at home with Linux Lite and a Chromebook obviously on Chrome OS and Crouton.  I still have some Puppy Linux distros with frugal installs to USB drives.  I may try some of those again.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 November 2018, 15:25:28 by ShawnMeg »

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2213 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 15:25:23 »
Over the years, I've used Puppy Linux (incredibly fast as it runs from RAM) but I found some of the newer releases to be fussy and unpolished.  For the past couple of years, I've used Linux Lite 3.X (based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) on one of my other secondary boxes.  It's a lightweight distro, very stable and fast.  My main home computer is a little HP Pavilion Mini that ran OK with Windows 10, but one day, the wireless suddenly started giving me problems despite me changing to another wireless card.  I tried reinstalling Win 10, had problems and got fed up.  I installed Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit, which took < 10 minutes, and it's running unbelievably smoothly.  I'm very happy with this distro.  I may eventually upgrade to Lite 4.X soon.

Anyways, I'm pretty much 100% Linux at home with Linux Lite and a Chromebook obviously on Chrome OS.  I still have some Puppy Linux distros with frugal installs to USB drives.  I may try some of those again.

I wish Slacko had the same amount of pets as the Ubuntu based Puppy distros (I know--completely different bases). Slacko is still my #1. Sure Puppy might take a few more seconds to boot and shutdown while it shifts information to or from RAM but the system is fantastic for portable media drives of practically any speed. And yea, I can totally understand wanting to shift over to Linux Lite. Puppy GUI can be a bit polarizing.

• actually, this guy
« Reply #2214 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 15:30:48 »
I can totally understand wanting to shift over to Linux Lite. Puppy GUI can be a bit polarizing.

I thought one of the "advantages" of Linux is that you can have 83534796 desktops without changing the distribution?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2215 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 15:55:40 »
I can totally understand wanting to shift over to Linux Lite. Puppy GUI can be a bit polarizing.

I thought one of the "advantages" of Linux is that you can have 83534796 desktops without changing the distribution?

Correct, there are literally 83534796 different window managers to choose from.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2216 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 17:05:12 »
Correct, there are literally 83534796 different window managers to choose from.
As there should be.

(Wayland can go F itself)
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 November 2018, 16:11:55 by Findecanor »

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #2217 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 14:01:33 »
This is a pretty good thread btw, as far as shooting the s*** about unix. Plenty of info, insights, and even just general blabber about operating systems.   :))

• actually, this guy
« Reply #2218 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 14:07:21 »
I wish people would talk about Unix more.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2219 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 14:18:16 »

I've heard that the BSD conferences are a bit more intimate when compared to linux conferences. Sounds like fun either way.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #2220 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 15:33:31 »

You mean ones that trace back to AT&T and/or UC Berkeley? I consider Linux a variant of "Unix", despite it not having any connection to UNIX development-wise.

• actually, this guy
« Reply #2221 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 15:36:55 »
Linux is not a variant of Unix.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #2222 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 15:43:59 »
Yeah well you're arguing semantics, it's heavily inspired by it. It sure looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2223 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 16:13:22 »
Linux is not a variant of Unix.
I would argue that Linux is more Unix than MacOS is.

• actually, this guy
« Reply #2224 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 16:18:38 »
It probably is. But they deliberately don't try to. Actually, even GNU/Hurd is more Unix than Linux is.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2225 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 16:55:07 »
Sucks that OSX has support for OpenZFS yet Linux is some years behind before full support for OpenZFS becomes a thing (Antergos?). I'm close to halfway through FreeBSD Mastery: ZFS, and damn near sold that the future is literally OpenZFS.

• actually, this guy
« Reply #2226 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 17:00:27 »
OpenZFS's CDDL is still incompatible with the GPL. Canonical is still violating its own license. Well...

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2227 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 17:08:26 »
Makes me wonder how Antergos gets away with including ZFS as a filesystem option.

• actually, this guy
« Reply #2228 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 17:12:34 »
Probably this is another case of "nobody cares enough".

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #2229 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 18:35:03 »

There's some pretty "legit" Unix pieces involved in Darwin though. A kernel largely developed at CMU, for Unix. Bunch of stuff lifted from FreeBSD, and then there's the NeXT OS which was it's own legit variant.

Sucks that OSX has support for OpenZFS yet Linux is some years behind before full support for OpenZFS becomes a thing (Antergos?). I'm close to halfway through FreeBSD Mastery: ZFS, and damn near sold that the future is literally OpenZFS.

Maybe for mission-critical servers with terabytes upon terabytes of data. I plan to ditch my multi-mechanical drive ZFS for a single large SSD and just use UFS2. With backups of course. Although the check summing, and "scrubs" are cool. With 10G ethernet becoming more accessible, I might actually stand to benefit from an SSD on the network.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2230 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 20:01:15 »

There's some pretty "legit" Unix pieces involved in Darwin though. A kernel largely developed at CMU, for Unix. Bunch of stuff lifted from FreeBSD, and then there's the NeXT OS which was it's own legit variant.

Maybe for mission-critical servers with terabytes upon terabytes of data. I plan to ditch my multi-mechanical drive ZFS for a single large SSD and just use UFS2. With backups of course. Although the check summing, and "scrubs" are cool. With 10G ethernet becoming more accessible, I might actually stand to benefit from an SSD on the network.

I'm already benefiting from dedeplication via nightly borgbackup snapshots so in my eyes it would be lovely to have that functionality just built-in to the filesystem. I understand it's not a perfect situation but it would be nice not to need to install an Arch Linux base and borgbackup in order to restore via borgbackup (caveat: I've restored a ~15GB usb install of Arch Linux using borgbackup.. not exactly a sure thing--the Arch migration from HDD to SSD was done with gparted). Really as of pg ~100 of FreeBSD Mastery: ZFS dedupe is barely the tip of the iceberg for OpenZFS. Like not needing raid hardware because the functionality is already built-in to the filesystem? How is that not awesome? Couple these thoughts with like you said, a filesystem that checks itself and if you script for it will alert the user on a binary level of WHAT FILE IS AFFECTED. Not like, oh gee, there's an error but rather oh gee file X is corrupted. But yea, my FreeBSD installation is UFS because installing a new grub just to satisfy the needs of a single ATA FreeBSD/OpenZFS drive seems kinda obsessive. Blah, blah, etc., etc..

tonights backup is complete (7 days worth of backups for a ~35GB filesystem == 18.5GB)

Offline JP

« Reply #2231 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 10:40:20 »
I am not a regular Linux user but I have dabbled mostly with Centos and Ubuntu. Interests are more home lab related. I am in desperate need to redo my NAS setup. I had a hacked Synology setup running their DSM software on my own hardware with Raid 10 and btrfs. It worked great until I decided to install an update on an impulse. No data loss just not a robust solution. I am thinking I should implement my storage backend with Ubuntu server and ZFS. I have the proper hardware for this setup (server grade hardware with ECC memory and a HBA). I am thinking I could setup later the Synology software again or use FreeNas to connect to shares I setup in Ubuntu server.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Flame

« Reply #2232 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 13:48:43 »
I mostly use Ubuntu and Raspbian (on my Pis). Many people have recommended I use Gentoo though, but I've been hesitant to switch.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #2233 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 06:00:56 »
I guess I am the only one Devuan (Debian fork) user here. Currently at 2.0
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

• actually, this guy
« Reply #2234 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 06:02:52 »

I guess I am the only one Devuan (Debian fork) user

FTFY

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2235 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 06:29:35 »
I guess I am the only one Devuan (Debian fork) user here. Currently at 2.0

I'm currently downloading an ISO. Default XFCE and sysinit should be interesting :thumb:

Offline iri

« Reply #2236 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 17:10:05 »
I tried Devuan but the kernel that it shipped with didn't work with my laptop. So I installed MX Linux in the end, another Debian derivative without systemd.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2237 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 21:55:49 »
That's strange. Devuan XFCE LiveISO worked fine with my rando 2007 Acer laptop. Wifi wasn't a problem, actually the only issue I had is damn XFCE and tap to click. Even the Frickin Linux Mint team enables tap to click by default for their XFCE variant. It's beyond me why distro teams (Fedora XFCE spin too) don't enable tap to click by default for XFCE. I wasn't able to poke around with sysinit but what I saw of Devuan is decent.

edit - Nuked and paved Lubuntu 18.04 for Lubuntu 18.10

The process was fairly quick. Picking a partition to nuke and pave is pretty neat (same as Lubuntu 18.04 installer), though I was able to uninstall grub without built in update software reinstalling grub seconds later (I use multiple Linux OSs--one grub to rule them all). So from what I can tell the move from LXDE to LXQT seems to have nudged Lubuntu more into tinkerer territory.  :thumb: I mostly use it for gaming and the occasional Windows 7 VM. Basically I just I drop in some dotfiles, install steam, enable proton for all the things, install a few games and login whenever I'm ready to relax.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 November 2018, 20:57:54 by csmertx »

Offline Eldr1tch

« Reply #2238 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 18:45:45 »
Slackware for the longest time, currently giving Void Linux a try after all the /g/ shills.

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #2239 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 19:40:47 »
Ubuntu for home, and CentOS+FreePBX at work

Offline fossilcodger

• Classic sci-fi author
« Reply #2240 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 17:16:46 »
Hi, formerly, I used GoboLinux, for years, actually, I have translated even their webpage from English to Hungarian... But in the last years (approx. in the last 4 years) I'm using my OWN "distro". It is based on LFS, but with a very, very modified filesystem-hierarchy. This hierarchy is similar to GoboLinux, but not perfectly the same, so I'm not "compatible" with it. I use in my "distro" my own scripts of course for installing/uninstalling programs (from source naturally), and generally for all works.

As the desktop environment, I use DWM window manager, with my own statusbar-program, and I use even the XBindKeys prog. So I do no need any real "DE". I do not like bloatware stuffs... no, not at all... I have enough memory (16GB), so the reason is not as if I wouldn't have enough, but simple I like simplicity! :)

I do not even have any filemanager prog, except MC. (In mostly cases even it is superfluous...)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2241 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 17:43:55 »
Switched over to Antergos with KDE the other day, been a while since I've been happy using something other than Cinnamon.

Cinnamon doesn't scale well on 1440p monitors (either too large or too small), and tends to dislike dual screens (needs work arounds). KDE is kind of a hassle to get setup but once done seems to be fine. It's certainly a bit heavier on boot times (3 more seconds OMG!), but offers a nice experience otherwise.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2242 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 23:24:08 »
Switched over to Antergos with KDE the other day, been a while since I've been happy using something other than Cinnamon.

Cinnamon doesn't scale well on 1440p monitors (either too large or too small), and tends to dislike dual screens (needs work arounds). KDE is kind of a hassle to get setup but once done seems to be fine. It's certainly a bit heavier on boot times (3 more seconds OMG!), but offers a nice experience otherwise.

What problems were you having with Cinnamon and multiple monitors? I've been running 3x 1080p screens on Mint 18 with Cinnamon for the past couple years, and I've had next to no trouble in that time.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2243 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 03:44:56 »
What problems were you having with Cinnamon and multiple monitors? I've been running 3x 1080p screens on Mint 18 with Cinnamon for the past couple years, and I've had next to no trouble in that time.
There is a bug, confirmed by a few people now, that if you have two monitors and the primary is on the left, then the left screen will not always come on, regardless of video system you have. A work around is to manually start an instance of Nemo on Cinnamon startup which triggers the screen to come on, then you simply close the window manually. It's very specific to this layout apparently and seems the developers have largely ignored the issue as it's been around a while, probably because it's inconsistent and hard to catch. Doesn't happen on single or triple screens or if your primary screen is on the right. Also, Cinnamon, since it's not using Wayland (sp?), has limited scaling ability, so if you switch to a 1440p monitor (which I did recently), you end up with a choice or very small taskbars (around 30% smaller) or very large ones (about 70% larger), this has to do with xorg or GTK or something so it can't be fixed by Cinnamon itself.

These may seem minor, but but it can also be a bit buggy here and there at times, usually after a major Gnome 3 update gets pushed and they try to integrate it. Mostly though I just wanted to try something new, particularly Wayland based in hopes of fixing the scaling issue.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2244 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 19:16:04 »
There is a bug, confirmed by a few people now, that if you have two monitors and the primary is on the left, then the left screen will not always come on, regardless of video system you have. A work around is to manually start an instance of Nemo on Cinnamon startup which triggers the screen to come on, then you simply close the window manually. It's very specific to this layout apparently and seems the developers have largely ignored the issue as it's been around a while, probably because it's inconsistent and hard to catch. Doesn't happen on single or triple screens or if your primary screen is on the right. Also, Cinnamon, since it's not using Wayland (sp?), has limited scaling ability, so if you switch to a 1440p monitor (which I did recently), you end up with a choice or very small taskbars (around 30% smaller) or very large ones (about 70% larger), this has to do with xorg or GTK or something so it can't be fixed by Cinnamon itself.

These may seem minor, but but it can also be a bit buggy here and there at times, usually after a major Gnome 3 update gets pushed and they try to integrate it. Mostly though I just wanted to try something new, particularly Wayland based in hopes of fixing the scaling issue.

Ah, that sounds like a bit of a mess, glad I haven't run across that then. Interesting that it's only on that particular layout though, I wonder what would cause that.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2245 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 03:59:09 »
Ah, that sounds like a bit of a mess, glad I haven't run across that then. Interesting that it's only on that particular layout though, I wonder what would cause that.
Probably just a bad default config, I may even have an idea on how to fix it, but I only found a potential fix while tweaking KDE so I haven't had a chance to test it.

With the workaround, it wasn't a big deal.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Kango_V

« Reply #2246 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 17:10:33 »
I've been using Ubuntu since 5.04  :cool:. Before that i used to distro hop between Red Hat, Suse, Mandrake etc. I now get lost on Windows having used Linux at home and at work for the past 13 years.

Offline impaktor

• Blog on emacs & keyboards
« Reply #2247 on: Tue, 25 December 2018, 10:05:10 »
started on Debian, now 10 years deep into Arch.

Thinking about testing the *BSDs next.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2248 on: Wed, 26 December 2018, 14:26:24 »
Alright. Here's the thing. I installed Pop!_OS because I had an extra PATA HDD laying around and wanted to check out Retropie.  After a few days it stopped booting (HDD is fine), so I installed vanilla Ubuntu 18.10.  And well damn, < 700MB at startup with Gnome 3 + dash2dock. That's pretty neat.  Ubuntu has come a long way even in the six years since the last time I installed it to metal.  I still wouldn't use Gnome 3 as my daily because I like crash-less desktops but still, not bad Canonical (and ofc previous Ubuntu Gnome team). Well done.

edit - Also Kubuntu is totally not unusable.  Around 400MB at startup on my system, looks gorgeous (Plasma 5.13 == yum disc), and does oddly well via 7.2k rpm PATA HDD.  Damn.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 December 2018, 17:37:49 by csmertx »

Offline iri

« Reply #2249 on: Fri, 28 December 2018, 03:56:16 »
what is 'yum disc'?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury