Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 606589 times)

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #1900 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 14:47:08 »
Just installed arch for the first time in about 3 years on an old thinkpad and love it

Installing Antergos on an old Macbook that was given to me tonight as well, because I dont feel like the hassle of an Arcxh install again so soon haha.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1901 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 15:07:26 »
I've wanted to install Arch many times in the past but never could figure out how to download it. Oh well.  :-X
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #1902 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 15:10:20 »
I've wanted to install Arch many times in the past but never could figure out how to download it. Oh well.  :-X

https://www.archlinux.org/download/

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1903 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 15:23:02 »

Well I mean obviously but I was never able to figure out how to make it bootable or install it or something. Yes I know there are guides everywhere, etc. but I don't have the time for it.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #1904 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 15:33:03 »

Well I mean obviously but I was never able to figure out how to make it bootable or install it or something. Yes I know there are guides everywhere, etc. but I don't have the time for it.

If you etcher the iso onto a usb and follow a recent guide you can prolly get it done in around 30-45 minutes.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #1905 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 15:39:05 »
I spent yesterday afternoon rebuilding a broken PC so I could make it into a dedicated Linux box. It’s got Ubuntu MATE on it for now. Feels like home being back on Linux desktop.

2018: the year of Linux on the desktop!  :))
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 March 2018, 16:59:31 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1906 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 15:49:01 »

It's a royal PITA. I've been complaining to people both on the 'net and IRL (IT guys) about it and how I wanted to kill myself.
"Just follow the official wiki!"
Yeah, if you're an expert.
"It's easy for newcomers to install if you just read everything there."
Man alive; that guide needs a For Dummies version because the guide is so convoluted; there's no clear-cut way. You have to know half the terminology in order to follow okay, and even then I know people had a hard time installing it and they know way more than me. I had to look up almost ten different wikis and multiple videos to configure it. Then found out I did something wrong so had to do it three-four times before it's finally installed.

I haven't touched a command line since DOS, so this was a HUGE learning experience. I still don't know why the Wi-Fi works at home but not at work...  :confused:

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1907 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 15:50:53 »
Hehe, I remember reading about someone finding their roommate's laptop in the fridge compiling a Gentoo kernel. The kernel compiling always takes quite a bit. There's much better GPT support now if you'd want to try again, there's sections in the handbook for it!
That does not sound healthy, my laptop was good back in the day, no heat issues despite having a proper Radeon with a whole 32mb of RAM!

I will have to give gentoo another go when I get a decent computer working, don't fancy waiting on an i3 (though compared to back in the day I guess even that will seem speedy...)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline iri

« Reply #1908 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 16:52:43 »
For me, the year of Linux on the desktop was 2007...
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline menuhin

« Reply #1909 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 17:04:42 »
Been curious about using Gentoo before but never actually have. Will have to try someday.
I really like it. A lot of people joke about compile times, but honestly I've not had anything more than 10 minutes or so on newer hardware. I've also got a binary host setup with pre-compiled packages according to my USE flags.
I used to run Gentoo a long time ago, couldn't get it to work with GPT when that was new so had to change.  Compiling a kernel on a 2.0ghz P4 laptop took significantly longer than 10 minutes :))

Hehe, I remember reading about someone finding their roommate's laptop in the fridge compiling a Gentoo kernel. The kernel compiling always takes quite a bit. There's much better GPT support now if you'd want to try again, there's sections in the handbook for it!

That is epic...  :))

Although the kernel will be more efficient if it is tailor-compiled for every desktop or laptop build, I am not ready to go back to do these royal PITA testing and proofing installation steps that I thought was necessary in the mid to late 1990s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loadable_kernel_module
Of course, when some functionality and supports should be or are part of the core, they are probably not modularized.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline menuhin

« Reply #1910 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 17:17:10 »
[/spoiler]

It's a royal PITA. I've been complaining to people both on the 'net and IRL (IT guys) about it and how I wanted to kill myself.
Man alive; that guide needs a For Dummies version because the guide is so convoluted; there's no clear-cut way. You have to know half the terminology in order to follow okay, and even then I know people had a hard time installing it and they know way more than me. I had to look up almost ten different wikis and multiple videos to configure it. Then found out I did something wrong so had to do it three-four times before it's finally installed.

I haven't touched a command line since DOS, so this was a HUGE learning experience. I still don't know why the Wi-Fi works at home but not at work...  :confused:

You can probably use this for ArchLinux, it works for other distros:
https://unetbootin.github.io/

I was initially a bit obsessed about fast booting within 10 seconds, but after I have experienced and used systemd and how it decreases the robustness and the transparency when problems arise, I want to stay away from systemd as far as possible, and that diminished my interest in ArchLinux.

Again, preferring SysVinit vs systemd is more about taste and preference about how each system works and the philosophy behind.

There are projects similar to unetbootin, but this project seems to have more consistent maintenance and support.
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1911 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 17:30:26 »

My favorite year of Linux was definitely 2013

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1912 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 18:04:28 »

Good to know I'm not the only one. I'd like to think that I'm really good with Linux but I never even figured out how to get the install started, much less get through the installation process.

You can probably use this for ArchLinux, it works for other distros:
https://unetbootin.github.io/

I was initially a bit obsessed about fast booting within 10 seconds, but after I have experienced and used systemd and how it decreases the robustness and the transparency when problems arise, I want to stay away from systemd as far as possible, and that diminished my interest in ArchLinux.

Again, preferring SysVinit vs systemd is more about taste and preference about how each system works and the philosophy behind.

There are projects similar to unetbootin, but this project seems to have more consistent maintenance and support.

I use LiLi when building ISOs on Windows and unetbootin on Mac. I prefer the UX of LiLi though.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1913 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 18:15:09 »
The Arch forums have answered a few of my questions that were beyond the scope of the wiki. Thought I would through that out there. I've never posted but I gleamed enough info to fix some issues here and there. Those Arch forum folks know their way around a Linux system.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #1914 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 19:10:04 »

I first installed Linux in 1994.  It was an early version of Slackware...on, what seemed to be, a million floppy disks (for the installation).  I dual-booted slackware and Windows 3.1 on an 84MB hard drive.  LOL

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1915 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:53:40 »

That's the point of arch, isn't it?  To read all the documentation and work it out for yourself.

There are dozens, probably hundreds, of other Linux distros aorund that are pre-built.

These days they even detect your monitor settings for you, not like the (good) old days where you had to refer to the monitor's timing specifications when settings up XFree86 to avoid configuring incompatible settings that might damage the monitor.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1916 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 21:28:58 »

I first installed Linux in 1994.  It was an early version of Slackware...on, what seemed to be, a million floppy disks.  I dual-booted slackware and Windows 3.1 on an 84MB hard drive.  LOL

I want to say I installed 3.1 around 2002 (Compaq LTE Elite 4/75CX--pcmcia sound card too lol). I read about Ubuntu around 2005-ish but I figured it wasn't for me at the time. I guess I would have eventually tried SUSE or Slackware and loved it. Damn shame

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1917 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 02:54:26 »
It can be said its more compact, but it is a lot harder to sort out problems, and also save a system when something has gone wrong.
A lot of that is due to a change in grub using disk identifiers. If you strip them out, it makes it far easier to backup and restore to another drive.

If you just want the experience of using it, try Antergos.

Tip, once installed, use Gparted to look at how the partitions are setup, take a picture, screen shot whatever, if you later decide to install Arch you have a guide on how the partitions should look. Or install Antergos or Mint and let that handle your partitions then install arch over that.

Bottom line... cheat!
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1918 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 03:04:44 »

I first installed Linux in 1994.  It was an early version of Slackware...on, what seemed to be, a million floppy disks (for the installation).  I dual-booted slackware and Windows 3.1 on an 84MB hard drive.  LOL
First time I saw Linux was 1997 or so, Red Hat 6? Not enterprise, this was pre-Fedora. My first install was between 1998 or 2000,  spent the next 15 years or so trying to move to it.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #1919 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 03:35:32 »
First time I saw Linux was 1997 or so, Red Hat 6? Not enterprise, this was pre-Fedora. My first install was between 1998 or 2000,  spent the next 15 years or so trying to move to it.
I installed Linux the first time in 1997 or 1998, and that was Red Hat 5.0 which was the latest Red Hat at the time.
(The same distro for server and desktop. I dunno why they restarted numbering...)

A friend had been using Slackware for over a year at that time, I think. Another guy had been using Linux on his Amiga (!).

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1920 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 04:07:00 »
My first install was Mandrake on a Pentium 2, probably in 1999.  All was going well until I tried to boot windows and realised I'd messed up lilo, I panicked and wiped everything on the family computer when a simple 'fdisk /mbr' would have fixed it :-[  Was a couple of years until I was brave enough to try again, my first success was slackware and I've never looked back for main desktop duty though I usually have windows available for gaming.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline menuhin

« Reply #1921 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 05:08:11 »

My Linux year was 1996 - that was when a Finnish student introduced me to Linux. And I had to choose between Slackware and RedHat (4.0 or something before that).
In those days, getting every extra piece of hardware to work probably involved some hack in the C source code and countless number of compiling and testing and "segmentation fault (core dumped)", and it was a big success if something happened to work and that was not known before.
You are probably some of the earliest Linux adopters I heard of.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1922 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 08:08:08 »
I first installed Ubuntu back in 2007. I messed Windows up badly on my first laptop and didn't know nearly as much as I do now about computers so I tried fixing it myself. Ubuntu back then was excellent, though I've hated it ever since they went to Unity.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1923 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 08:30:09 »

Tip, once installed, use Gparted to look at how the partitions are setup, take a picture, screen shot whatever, if you later decide to install Arch you have a guide on how the partitions should look. Or install Antergos or Mint and let that handle your partitions then install arch over that.

Bottom line... cheat!

That was my biggest issue the first time. I had no idea how to partition my hard drive, let alone doing it correctly.
The first two times, once I figured it out, I didn't partition them correctly. I kept running into issues with the swap space and installing programs. I became irate because I had spent a while customizing Arch, only to realize I had to wipe everything again.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1924 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 10:18:04 »

Bottom line... cheat!

That was my biggest issue the first time. I had no idea how to partition my hard drive, let alone doing it correctly.
The first two times, once I figured it out, I didn't partition them correctly. I kept running into issues with the swap space and installing programs. I became irate because I had spent a while customizing Arch, only to realize I had to wipe everything again.

Even with the community i3wm Manjaro in mind I'd still recommend Antergos well before Manjaro.

Offline Kyi195

« Reply #1925 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 10:26:57 »
I first installed Ubuntu back in 2007. I messed Windows up badly on my first laptop and didn't know nearly as much as I do now about computers so I tried fixing it myself. Ubuntu back then was excellent, though I've hated it ever since they went to Unity.
IIRC they dropped Unity a little while ago.  I don't know what they default to now though, maybe KDE?

Offline menuhin

« Reply #1926 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 10:36:07 »
I am not really part of the cult.

But for those who are beginning and who want to support genuine free software, there is an officially endorsed list of Linux distros:
https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

And a list explaining why some of the major distros are not in the endorsed list:
https://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.en.html
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1927 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 10:45:48 »
When it comes to using FOSS, I get it, I do, but I'm not someone who believes that every piece of software on my machine has to be free in order to have a genuine experience. I have been perfectly happy with Linux Mint in the past and even though it's not considered a free OS, it's about as close to Windows as you can get in a Linux package.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1928 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 11:23:21 »
I installed Linux the first time in 1997 or 1998, and that was Red Hat 5.0 which was the latest Red Hat at the time.
(The same distro for server and desktop. I dunno why they restarted numbering...)

A friend had been using Slackware for over a year at that time, I think. Another guy had been using Linux on his Amiga (!).

Same for me. It was Red Hat 5.0 that I was first able to install.

I tried to install Slackware in 1995 sometime, by using the ~100 Mb ZipSlack installer, but I never could get that Zip drive to boot. :(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1929 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 11:30:17 »
I, too, don't care if everything on my computer is FOSS. In fact, I much prefer Photoshop over GIMP. I used both and just thought GIMP was not as polished--which makes sense considering how much money power Adobe has to remit a polished product.

I tried LibreOffice and, while I love the side panel and the ability to customize the windows to match my GUI theme, it was sluggish and didn't work as finesse-ly as Word--again, which makes sense considering how much money power Microsoft has.
But I'm trying to learn Emacs to take over most of my writing anyway, so I hope that won't be an issue. As for other things, I wouldn't mind getting non-FOSS programs/applications if it makes my life easier so I can focus on being productive. If I have time to work on learning something else to get one step closer to have a 100% FOSS computer, then sure; but until then I will take things piecemeal.

I also am interested in installing a BSD OS, but that's for another day.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1930 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 12:09:15 »
I, too, don't care if everything on my computer is FOSS. In fact, I much prefer Photoshop over GIMP. I used both and just thought GIMP was not as polished--which makes sense considering how much money power Adobe has to remit a polished product.

I tried LibreOffice and, while I love the side panel and the ability to customize the windows to match my GUI theme, it was sluggish and didn't work as finesse-ly as Word--again, which makes sense considering how much money power Microsoft has.
But I'm trying to learn Emacs to take over most of my writing anyway, so I hope that won't be an issue. As for other things, I wouldn't mind getting non-FOSS programs/applications if it makes my life easier so I can focus on being productive. If I have time to work on learning something else to get one step closer to have a 100% FOSS computer, then sure; but until then I will take things piecemeal.

There is some commerical software that I cannot live without for reasons:
(1) MS Word: track changes.
(2) Adobe Photoshop: luminosity masks, proper colour space support, and focus stacking
(3) Adobe Lightroom: digital photography, amateur-pro level. There is just no software that is on par with lightroom, even though lightroom is slow
(4) IBM SPSS: theoretically R, but SPSS is great for quick-dirty explorative data analysis.

If it weren't for academia, I would do EVERYTHING in emacs/vim and latex.
IBM SPSS I can do without eventually when I'm more comfortable in R. I don't like R.. the language is weird.
But Lightroom and Photoshop? I really don't know what PROPER alternatives are. I mean gimp is nice, but not great for actual photo editing.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1931 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 12:17:26 »
Man, now I want to find another Compaq 4/75 laptop or an era appropriate Thinkpad and install Slackware to get a feel for what I missed out on. Of course I would use duckduckgo to help with configuring but the hardware will be somewhat the same.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1932 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 12:33:34 »
Slackware's still there and last I checked still had the old school non-X installer, not much has changed except things unpack so quickly on a modern CPU you don't get time to read the desctiption of each package as it flashes by.  You could chose it to ask about each package if you have a day to spare :))
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1933 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 13:44:34 »
Speaking of Compaq, I'd love to find an old Compaq Deskpro EP/SB, it was my first PC. Blazing fast Pentium II with Win95!  :))

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1934 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 17:45:36 »
In those days, getting every extra piece of hardware to work probably involved some hack in the C source code and countless number of compiling and testing and "segmentation fault (core dumped)", and it was a big success if something happened to work and that was not known before.

Anything before the mass adoption of broadband was a challenge.
Modems were a pain in the rear end, especially winmodems and hardware modems were expensive and you still had to deal with the serial port.

but I never could get that Zip drive to boot. :(
When I worked at the dotcom they were just phasing out, thankfully.
Absolute garbage.

Your experience was more the norm than the exception from what I saw of those.  I wanted one, but decided to spend the extra money and go straight to CD burning instead.

IIRC they dropped Unity a little while ago.  I don't know what they default to now though, maybe KDE?

The current release still uses Unity, the next release will use Gnome. However, while betas are out for the next one, they have yet to release the Gnome version, it was probably held up waiting for the latest Gnome to drop, which which was released in the last day or two.

I dunno why they restarted numbering...
They didn't restart the numbering.
Red Hat split their offering, the server side became Red Hat Enterprise Linux (REL) and the home version became the Fedora Project.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline menuhin

« Reply #1935 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 20:13:12 »
More

Anything before the mass adoption of broadband was a challenge.
Modems were a pain in the rear end, especially winmodems and hardware modems were expensive and you still had to deal with the serial port.

Oh, I forgot that lots of those bit were done via modem downloading during the super painful world-wide-wait era; I took even for granted having a wireless connection, instead of having to get near to BOTH the Ethernet port and the power outlet.

More

There is some commerical software that I cannot live without for reasons:
(1) MS Word: track changes.
(2) Adobe Photoshop: luminosity masks, proper colour space support, and focus stacking
(3) Adobe Lightroom: digital photography, amateur-pro level. There is just no software that is on par with lightroom, even though lightroom is slow
(4) IBM SPSS: theoretically R, but SPSS is great for quick-dirty explorative data analysis.

If it weren't for academia, I would do EVERYTHING in emacs/vim and latex.
IBM SPSS I can do without eventually when I'm more comfortable in R. I don't like R.. the language is weird.
But Lightroom and Photoshop? I really don't know what PROPER alternatives are. I mean gimp is nice, but not great for actual photo editing.

While vi & vim is a must to learn, they can't do really everything, like Emacs.
I would like to stick to Emacs and LaTeX too, but I have to said, sometimes I still feel the invention of WYSIWYG editors can be a blessing. LaTeX is very efficient in scaling up once you get used to certain templates; but with those very incapable untechnical colleagues, they might have very specific nitpicking requests of moving things around a bit, some of which can then become quite complicated in LaTeX - and they just don't understand - fxxk them. They can't do shxt, and have to hire people to do it for them always, connection is their everything; but in the real world, connection is really everything...
Haven't heard of IBM SPSS, but I used SPSS will never want to use it nowadays unless I have to; R is weird, its' core deep down is Lisp / Scheme but its manifestation is not Lisp enough. But R is definitely the language and system of choice nowadays for tasks involve statistical analyses and statistical modelling. It's co-creator Ross Ihaka had a few reflection of how R can be improved.
https://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~ihaka/downloads/New-System.pdf
https://www.r-bloggers.com/%E2%80%9Csimply-start-over-and-build-something-better%E2%80%9D/

MS Word track changes is the reason I still boot into Windows and use Word from time to time. Be sure to give LibreOffice a revisit every now and then - its track changes compatibility with MS Words (doc & docx format) has improved a lot - I believe especially when fancy formatting has not been done on a document yet.
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1936 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 21:02:05 »
I also started with an early version of Slackware, can't remember the version though.  It was one of the few distros still available on floppy disks, and I recall downloaded each one over the company's dial-up connection before anyone else arrived, so I wouldn't slow down the internet for them.

I was given an old laptop to install it as a proof of concept, and, after only the first try IIRC, it was working.

The initial purpose was as an email server, as the Windows-based solution we were using (on NT 3.51 or something) was very limited and awkward to use.  Slackware performed superbly.

So I was given an old server and allowed to commission it as a new email server, as well as a dial-out gateway.

We have had Linux-based servers providing most network services ever since.

In 2002 I was fiddling around with Slackware 8.1rc1, so most of the above happened some time before that, probably late 1990s.  My timesheets do not have as much detail going back that far.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Kyi195

« Reply #1937 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 07:18:39 »
The current release still uses Unity, the next release will use Gnome. However, while betas are out for the next one, they have yet to release the Gnome version, it was probably held up waiting for the latest Gnome to drop, which which was released in the last day or two.

Ahh,alrigt. I just remember seeing people on /g/ talking about Unity being killed off a few months ago.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1938 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 08:12:17 »
Aren't you guys a bit late to the party? Canonical dropped Mir & Unity 8 on desktop about a year ago.

I don't follow the official Ubuntu desktop, but I believe 17.10 already shipped with customized GNOME Shell by default. It was Wayland that got delayed.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1939 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 09:05:04 »
Aren't you guys a bit late to the party? Canonical dropped Mir & Unity 8 on desktop about a year ago.

I don't follow the official Ubuntu desktop, but I believe 17.10 already shipped with customized GNOME Shell by default. It was Wayland that got delayed.

I downloaded Ubuntu a few weeks ago and it still came with Unity.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1940 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 09:20:02 »
Pre-17.10, sure (including 16.04 LTS), but from 17.10 release notes:
The Ubuntu Desktop now uses GNOME instead of Unity.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1941 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 09:48:04 »

Perhaps but I also haven't cared about Ubuntu enough to check in the last year.

Offline Kyi195

« Reply #1942 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 12:32:51 »

Perhaps but I also haven't cared about Ubuntu enough to check in the last year.

Kinda where I am too.  I started using linux on my school/work laptops about 5 years ago or so with Fedora 20 and then I switched to Debian for whatever reason.  I honestly don't remember anymore but it works great for me so I'm not planning on switching anytime soon so I haven't really kept up with what everything has anymore.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #1943 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 16:35:46 »
Just upgraded my home office Ubuntu from 14.04 to 17.10. And I was a stupid idiot who forgot `cp` does not copy dotfiles. So much for proper backups. Gladly the most important ones are stored in a remote git repo.
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1944 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 17:03:53 »

I see what happened, if you go to download it, they are pushing LTS at the top of the page so last time I grabbed it, I got LTS.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1945 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 17:19:10 »

I see what happened, if you go to download it, they are pushing LTS at the top of the page so last time I grabbed it, I got LTS.

I usually go for LTS as well. For some reason unknown to me I had audio artifacts with the Arch LTS kernel. Didn't have that issue with Ubuntu or any of the other Debian based distros.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #1946 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 14:52:14 »
191725-0
191727-1

Comfy  :)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1947 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 15:40:52 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

lol Gave up on Arch?

I hear Antergos is an easier way of delving into Arch.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1948 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 15:46:02 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

let us know when you're done distrohopping and settle on a legit one breh

choices include slack, void, gentoo, lfs and crux (if it's still maintained)
everything else is trash
fite me
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1949 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 16:08:20 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

let us know when you're done distrohopping and settle on a legit one breh

choices include slack, void, gentoo, lfs and crux (if it's still maintained)
everything else is trash
fite me

I see that you forgot to mention Hannah Montana Linux